2021 Recruiting: - El Ellis JUCO update | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: El Ellis JUCO update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like this idea. I've been watching some classic UConn games during this crazy downtime. There's nothing like a 3 point marksman. Watched Rashad Anderson go 6-6 from behind the arc during the first half of the Elite 8 game against Alabama in 2004. Ridiculous. The net wasn't even moving.

Reaction Score

Hadn't seen this posted yet. 2nd half of the season highlights.

Looks to me like he is athletic, can finish with both hands, and the shooting %s are legit. With probably 4 spots to fill for 2021, we'll need to go JUCO/transfers/grads, whatever it takes to fill the roster. Sign me up Coach

Reaction Score
Interesting his recruitment seems to be ahead of schedule for Juco guys.

Reaction Score
Don't we need a 5??

We need a true stretch 4 for the last spot if possible. Whaley, Carlton, Javonte Brown Ferguson are enough for the 5. Our only true "4" is Springs, and even he is a combo. Right now, it's Springs when we go big and Polley/Martin otherwise.

Reaction Score
I have no idea how juco to ncaa works but is there any way we can get him this year, give him a scholarship and have him practice and help him get eligible for 2021?

Reaction Score
We need a true stretch 4 for the last spot if possible. Whaley, Carlton, Javonte Brown Ferguson are enough for the 5. Our only true "4" is Springs, and even he is a combo. Right now, it's Springs when we go big and Polley/Martin otherwise.
Don’t sleep on Polley playing the four.. He certainly has the length .
I‘m dreaming of the best shooting team since 2014 if he can play the stretch.
Remember Hurley wants him to work on his upper body strength plus with his natural maturity ,as he is still pretty young., I suspect physically we will see a much different athlete than we have seen.
That‘s just something to keep an eye out for.
Hurley will most likely start Whaley /Carlton but as soon as either sits Whaley because he is out or has moved to the 5 , that creates an opening at the 4.
The young guys may or may not contribute but no experienced coach is hanging his hat on those guys.

Reaction Score
Interesting his recruitment seems to be ahead of schedule for Juco guys.
Definitely does. Speaks to his talent. Not even up the summer juco showcases where they stand out.
I have no idea how juco to ncaa works but is there any way we can get him this year, give him a scholarship and have him practice and help him get eligible for 2021?
No, unless he was a full qualifier, but with the offers he has , I would suspect he's not.

(Full qualifiers that go to juco likely don't have the offers they want. So they will sometimes go to a top juco to play for a year with the hope to get those offers and move on to college after one year with 3 years of playing eligibility left. )

Reaction Score
Agree with Rip..Frequently Juco athletes are there to improve/solidify their academic resumes and/ or physical development for their target schools vs substantial player development...Maybe Covid changes admissions game for Juco athletes at four year schools..No question El is a player..

Reaction Score
So he would be committing to play for the 21-22 season? Would he be enrolling in school (barring schools opening up normally by the fall) for this upcoming or following year?

Reaction Score
So he would be committing to play for the 21-22 season? Would he be enrolling in school (barring schools opening up normally by the fall) for this upcoming or following year?
He's like a HS senior, he'll play at his JUCO this year and then enroll at whatever school he chooses Fall 2021

Reaction Score
I believe he has three years of eligibility left having just completed his first year at JUCO.(Freshman year).. If he can qualify academically.. He can/could choose between a four year school willing to take him now or stay for a second year at JUCO.. Thereby leaving him with two years of eligibility (at the four year school after that)..If you're a coach at a four year school and really like his fit/talents.. And he's academically good now re:Admissions..You'd probably prefer him to use those three years with you vs "burn" a year of eligibility at the JUCO. Just sayin"

Reaction Score
I believe he has three years of eligibility left having just completed his first year at JUCO.(Freshman year).. If he can qualify academically.. He can/could choose between a four year school willing to take him now or stay for a second year at JUCO.. Thereby leaving him with two years of eligibility (at the four year school after that)..If you're a coach at a four year school and really like his fit/talents.. And he's academically good now re:Admissions..You'd probably prefer him to use those three years with you vs "burn" a year of eligibility at the JUCO. Just sayin"
I think he's a non-qualifier, that is not for sure, but read my above post. Let's assume he is. Then he has one more year in juco (min 2 years for non-qualifiers). He would have two years of eligibility beginning in 21-22. He has one year left in juco.

Reaction Score
BTW.. Not all athletes are good standardized test takers..Decent SAT/ACT test scores (and grades)are usually the minimum criteria that four year schools look for to admit an athlete. An alternative to "prepping a post grad year" is the JUCO path.. Average to above average GPAs at JUCO usually satisfy the Admissions Dept at a four year school re: acceptance to that school.. With the relaxation of ACT/SAT scores due to Covid (for 2020 season) combined with a few online summer school classes.. And a good GPA.. You've made Admissions happy for the Fall semester.Don't know where El is on DH's wish list for last 2020 spot and fit with needs.. But its doable..

Reaction Score

From the sounds of this, there's a chance Ellis' school visits could be done by the end of the week.

Reaction Score
Not really relevant but when was the last time Wake Forest did anything? Chris Paul? I feel like they were a consistent national contender when I was a kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom