Early SEC 23-24 season predictions | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Early SEC 23-24 season predictions

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. Browsing message boards it seems ppl are very high on Taliah Scott. I hope Jersey gets an opportunity to play more this season. I wasn't quite sure why all her numbers went down last season. I think Poffenberger should be better after finally playing after two long seasons. I think Goforth is a fun two way player and happy she's in a place mentally that's she able to do what she loves. I like the team, would expect them to make the tournament after narrowly missing last year. Just not sure if they are like a top 5 SEC team. That's almost like a top 25 team in the country. But I look forward to watching.
To me arkansas problem has always been in the front court they can't rebound or defend the post players

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. Browsing message boards it seems ppl are very high on Taliah Scott. I hope Jersey gets an opportunity to play more this season. I wasn't quite sure why all her numbers went down last season. I think Poffenberger should be better after finally playing after two long seasons. I think Goforth is a fun two way player and happy she's in a place mentally that's she able to do what she loves. I like the team, would expect them to make the tournament after narrowly missing last year. Just not sure if they are like a top 4 SEC team as that's almost like a top 25 team in the country. In fairness to them they were ranked pretty high in the first third of the season.But I look forward to watching.

I'm also curious to see how Jersey does this year. She came in highly touted but haven't seen much from her.

Reaction Score
This is why lsu will likely finish around 3rd 4th or 5th in the SEC.

I think Without Morris, mulkey is in trouble at lsu. I’m not sure they have the pieces or coaching to correct much of this.
This is the craziest I have read in years. Has to be tongue in cheek.

Reaction Score
Secbbfan24 can be a good poster but then they like to degrade Lsu wether they struggle with former coach Nikki Fargas leading them or Mulkey leading them to a championship .funny at once but now I find it disrespectful to a group of intelligent posters

Reaction Score
It is. He is actually fairly realistic in his assessment of LSU. However at some point this past season he began the extreme posts poor mouthing the team. I remember correctly it was a joke at first. They then started winning in the postseason and he evidently has carried it forward.

Reaction Score
For Arkansas, the front court is definitely the question mark. There is Dauda, who is highly touted but definitely unproven. The good news is she is reportedly playing pain free for the first time since she hurt her knee; the bad news is that she is a bit slender and "nice" to match up vs bulkier SEC posts. She'll need to be effective if Arkansas is to have a big chance to threaten the top 4. Behind Dauda, it'll be interesting to see what the Hogs do. Ellis is the only other actual post on the squad. Wolfenbarger will have to pitch in some, I think.

Word out of summer practice is that Dauda and Jersey are both playing very well, Spencer and Daniels look great, and Sasha actually feels good. Something that was missing last year - which is surprising for a Neighbors team - was consistent outside shooting. Daniels shot below her previous percentages, and Spencer was very streaky. I really want to see Poffenbarger find her stroke. Between Saylor, Sasha, Spencer, Daniels, and Taliah Scott, you have to believe someone will be feeling it.

In terms of newcomers other than Scott - Jenna Lawrence is really intriguing - a 6'3"-ish wing with a really good shooting touch. Maryn Archer spent the spring on campus going through practice, but you have to think that she's still a bit buried behind Daniels and Spencer. JUCO transfer Keats could be an offensive spark off the bench, and Spaniard Cristina Sanchez won't even meet her team until the Hogs visit Europe next month, so it's hard to know how she might fit in.

There have been some questions about how big a loss Barnum will be. Well, it's obviously a loss, but as others have noted, she was much more of an offensive player and a marginal defender. Both of those are due to Neighbors's system. She was a rabbit down the court to beat bigger defenders. She was much less effective when Arkansas had to run a half-court against bigger posts. And in two games vs SC last year, she had 3 rebounds. Not 3 rebounds per game, but 3 total rebounds. I think she will probably do better defensively in Starkville, tbh, because she'll finally get to defend her true position at the 4.

So ... my top 8 for the Hogs: Daniels, Spencer, Goforth, Poffenbarger, Dauda, Wolfenbarger, Scott, and Ellis. I think.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For Arkansas, the front court is definitely the question mark. There is Dauda, who is highly touted but definitely unproven. The good news is she is reportedly playing pain free for the first time since she hurt her knee; the bad news is that she is a bit slender and "nice" to match up vs bulkier SEC posts. She'll need to be effective if Arkansas is to have a big chance to threaten the top 4. Behind Dauda, it'll be interesting to see what the Hogs do. Ellis is the only other actual post on the squad. Wolfenbarger will have to pitch in some, I think.

Word out of summer practice is that Dauda and Jersey are both playing very well, Spencer and Daniels look great, and Sasha actually feels good. Something that was missing last year - which is surprising for a Neighbors team - was consistent outside shooting. Daniels shot below her previous percentages, and Spencer was very streaky. I really want to see Poffenbarger find her stroke. Between Saylor, Sasha, Spencer, Daniels, and Taliah Scott, you have to believe someone will be feeling it.

In terms of newcomers other than Scott - Jenna Lawrence is really intriguing - a 6'3"-ish wing with a really good shooting touch. Maryn Archer spent the spring on campus going through practice, but you have to think that she's still a bit buried behind Daniels and Spencer. JUCO transfer Keats could be an offensive spark off the bench, and Spaniard Cristina Sanchez won't even meet her team until the Hogs visit Europe next month, so it's hard to know how she might fit in.

There have been some questions about how big a loss Barnum will be. Well, it's obviously a loss, but as others have noted, she was much more of an offensive player and a marginal defender. Both of those are due to Neighbor's system. She was a rabbit down the court to beat bigger defenders. She was much less effective when Arkansas had to run a half-court against bigger posts. And in two games vs SC last year, she had 3 rebounds. Not 3 rebounds per game, but 3 total rebounds. I think she will probably do better defensively in Starkville, tbh, because she'll finally get to defend her true position at the 4.

So ... my top 8 for the Hogs: Daniels, Spencer, Goforth, Poffenbarger, Dauda, Wolfenbarger, Scott, and Ellis. I think.
Great takes. Like you, I am really interested in seeing how Jeanna Lawrence and Christina Sanchez play out. Like a lot of players, they got potential just going to come down to their confidence & that competitive fire in them. Are they willing to sit back and be comfortable. Or are they coming for a players spot? We will see.

As for Saylor, like you said, I am hoping that she not only finds her shooting groove but also become more vocal and aggressive. A lot times, watching their games last year, Saylor would be open but she never got the ball swung back her way, especially if she passed. Not taking anything away from Spencer or Daniels, they were aggressive. Saylor has to have that same mindset. I think Dauda will do well. I can't wait for the season to start!!

Reaction Score

There have been some questions about how big a loss Barnum will be. Well, it's obviously a loss, but as others have noted, she was much more of an offensive player and a marginal defender. Both of those are due to Neighbor's system. She was a rabbit down the court to beat bigger defenders. She was much less effective when Arkansas had to run a half-court against bigger posts. And in two games vs SC last year, she had 3 rebounds. Not 3 rebounds per game, but 3 total rebounds. I think she will probably do better defensively in Starkville, tbh, because she'll finally get to defend her true position at the 4.

Of the transfers to Mississippi State the role for L Park-Lane will be very similar to her role at Seton Hall. She is going to have to be able to run the team and be a vocal leader. To date she has been the voice on most interviews and practice clips. Her scoring will likely take a hit but overall things will go through her. I expect she will average 30 minutes or so a game.

D Rogers should have a similar playing role to DePaul. Right now it is undecided if she will be a two or three. She averaged over 36 minutes a game at DePaul. She is likely going to split her minutes with D Powe and J Jordan so her average minutes could drop by as ten. Therefore she is going to have to be more selective with her shots. She was the leader at DePaul in three pointers made. However with her high percentage of free throws made I’d love to see her drive to the basket more.

E Barnum is a complete wildcard. She shot near 60% from inside the arc at Arkansas. However she needs to improve her free throw percentage. She was also going against fives so she often quicker than her defender. In contrast that likely hurt her on defense and rebounding. Coach Purcell has called her a “positionless player” on a few occasions and says she can rebound and bring the ball up the court ahead of her defender. Of all the players he claims she can be the catalyst to a NCAA Tournament run. I will be interested to say her role.

The Mississippi State coaching staff really has a fairly large task ahead of them getting everyone to buy into roles for the betterment of the team.

To keep it on topic this makes it difficult to predict exactly where Mississippi State ends up in the rankings. One player that doesn’t get mentioned as much is a starter D Powe. She played the four out of necessity last season but is more of a three. She is 6-1 and can swing between both positions. She played well as a true freshman (making the All freshman SEC team) but hit a wall around midSEC play. She didn’t play terrible but her production noticeably dropped off. She will definitely not give up her starting position without a fight and I’m not ready to concede that she won’t end up starting. At minimum she will play starter minutes.

Last edited:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Like I said. morrow and Hailey Van Lith are decent players but all LSU did this off-season was add high volume shooters who aren’t efficient and play no defense. Big downgrade from the transfers they brought in last year.

I’m not convinced on that #1 class they brought in making much in impact until years 2 or 3. Williams is solid but she has deficiencies with a low percentage perimeter shot and isn’t in the best shape like her counterpart Rosario. Velez may be the only newcomer who attempts to play defense. They would need Flaujae to take the next big step but not convinced

No need to go over Reese she regressed not being in a gym all summer and looks bad circling the country counting her cash while her teammates are on campus working hard

no way shut up youre lying GIF by The Hills

Canadian Lol GIF

Reaction Score
Agree, LSU is loaded. I believe they will be favorite for SEC champs and in the mix for the NC.

Reaction Score
Agree, LSU is loaded. I believe they will be favorite for SEC champs and in the mix for the NC.
LSU doesn't have the size or perimeter shooting to compete with TN and SC. Top 25 team yes, but likely 3rd, 4th, or 5th in the conference battling it out with Ole Miss and Miss St. A&M could potentially pass them, LSU almost lost to A&M last year. Joni is building something special at A&M.

Reaction Score
Y'all seriously acting like LSU didn't just win the NC last year, AND return an even more talented roster this year. O'an don't forget, Kim Mulkey is there Coach Period

Reaction Score
That’s not how I expected SECbbfan24 to sound talking on video. ***

This video is an interesting production. Some interesting points but I find the images and visuals used problematic. Arbitrarily using pictures of players posing for some, while others are in their uniforms when talking line ups/rosters gives off a very biased impression versus trying to lay out facts. Hard to take the poster seriously from my perspective.

Reaction Score
LSU doesn't have the size or perimeter shooting to compete with TN and SC. Top 25 team yes, but likely 3rd, 4th, or 5th in the conference battling it out with Ole Miss and Miss St. A&M could potentially pass them, LSU almost lost to A&M last year. Joni is building something special at A&M.
Guess we disagree. I would love for MSST to have the team that LSU has brought together. As for Joni building some special at A&M, I believe A&M fans would trade teams with LSU in. a heartbeat. My opinion is it is Kim that is building something special at LSU!

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. Browsing message boards it seems ppl are very high on Taliah Scott. I hope Jersey gets an opportunity to play more this season. I wasn't quite sure why all her numbers went down last season. I think Poffenberger should be better after finally playing after two long seasons. I think Goforth is a fun two way player and happy she's in a place mentally that's she able to do what she loves. I like the team, would expect them to make the tournament after narrowly missing last year. Just not sure if they are like a top 4 SEC team as that's almost like a top 25 team in the country. In fairness to them they were ranked pretty high in the first third of the season.But I look forward to watching.
I have been watching Arkansas practice. They barely missed the tournament last year and they are clearly much improved this year. Goforth and Scott are big additions and Wolfenbarger, Poffenbarger and Dauda are significantly improved. In Wolfenbarger's case, the change in her physique is notable and she is being much more aggressive around the basket. I would be shocked if they don't end the season as a top 25 team and would be surprised if they are not a top 4 team in the SEC, despite the likely improvement of many other teams in the conference also. Arkansas now also has depth beyond anything they have ever had in the past. For that reason, Mike Neighbors is saying they will be a pressing team this year. And I think they have the athletes to do that well.

Reaction Score
I have been watching Arkansas practice. They barely missed the tournament last year and they are clearly much improved this year. Goforth and Scott are big additions and Wolfenbarger, Poffenbarger and Dauda are significantly improved. In Wolfenbarger's case, the change in her physique is notable and she is being much more aggressive around the basket. I would be shocked if they don't end the season as a top 25 team and would be surprised if they are not a top 4 team in the SEC, despite the likely improvement of many other teams in the conference also. Arkansas now also has depth beyond anything they have ever had in the past. For that reason, Mike Neighbors is saying they will be a pressing team this year. And I think they have the athletes to do that well.
So you telling me they now play defense and can get rebounds now

Reaction Score
So you telling me they now play defense and can get rebounds now
I think, as someone else mentioned, that the weakest point on defense is still at the 5 spot. Dauda is improved but she has a slender build. She is a big step up defensively from Barnum but will need help. Arkansas could still get pushed around a little inside but I don't think nearly as bad as in the past. And, yes, it's pretty clear to me watching them that they will be significantly improved in overall defense and rebounding.

Reaction Score
I think, as someone else mentioned, that the weakest point on defense is still at the 5 spot. Dauda is improved but she has a slender build. She is a big step up defensively from Barnum but will need help. Arkansas could still get pushed around a little inside but I don't think nearly as bad as in the past. And, yes, it's pretty clear to me watching them that they will be significantly improved in overall defense and rebounding.
Ok cool. I just remember last season scoring was never a problem. It's was defense and rebounding. Can't wait to watch this season.

Reaction Score
It’s difficult to change team DNA in one season, but I am willing to watch and see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Arkansas‘ big problem has always been defense. They don’t play it very well.

SC is going to have a say in the SEC. There’s nobody who can guard Cardoso. If she can stay out of foul trouble she’ll be the best player on the floor.

Reaction Score
Arkansas‘ big problem has always been defense. They don’t play it very well.

SC is going to have a say in the SEC. There’s nobody who can guard Cardoso. If she can stay out of foul trouble she’ll be the best player on the floor.
I definitely consider K Cardoso a very, very talented player. However I don’t share the opinion she will consistently be the best player on the floor. In contrast I do consider South Carolina a major player in the SEC and NCAA Tournament. There is an incredible amount of talent developed over the course of the last couple of years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom