Early SEC 23-24 season predictions | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Early SEC 23-24 season predictions

Reaction Score
@visitingcock is speaking cautiously here, and rightly so, because his heart is with SC and he doesn't want to jinx it. I'm speaking disinterestedly and with nothing to lose by being wrong. And I absolutely could be wrong. SC could indeed lose a game or two in conference, but I doubt it.
Losing a “game or two” is a probabilty more than mere possibility. One can win the conference with two losses / and a national championship too (as has been shown the past two years.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ll just put my 2 cents in here: I think SC is still the team to beat in the SEC. I expect them to finish undefeated in conference. I’m not sure how may more years this will be true, but I find it hard to bet against them for the present.

Although I have been critical of her in-game coaching, I think Dawn is supremely good at program-building and developmental training, and she’s done it all mainly in the old fashioned way, through recruiting. This bodes extremely well for the near future.
I think SCar should be the favorite, but I doubt it will be an undefeated season.

Reaction Score
I think SCar should be the favorite, but I doubt it will be an undefeated season.
I think LSU will be the favorite, but I do think SC will be scary good and can absolutely beat LSU.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
LSU will finish behind SC and Tennessee.
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reaction Score
LSU will finish behind SC and Tennessee.
That would be awesome but I think you are selling them short. It will be interesting to watch it all play out. There’s only one ball so somebody’s stats will take a hit. The key will be if they are all ok with that.

Reaction Score
SCar's Achilles heel has been their offense. Their defense has been top shelf since Staley arrived. Achilles won a lot of battles with that heel. So did SCar.

Reaction Score
SCar's Achilles heel has been their offense. Their defense has been top shelf since Staley arrived. Achilles won a lot of battles with that heel. So did SCar.
My favorite SCar team was the one that didn't get to play it out, because they made shots.

Reaction Score
After watching AmeriCup, I think you have to slide LSU in the 3 to 5 spot in the SEC (with Ole Miss and Miss St). Yes LSU may finish as low as 5 with this roster. Reese just isn’t going to carry lsu vs better teams. She has regressed under Mulkey so far. Morrow wasn’t even good enough to make the team so doubtful she will elevate anything but will get her points. Hailey Van Lith is a volume shooter who is mostly inefficient and doesn’t play defense. Williams is an unknown if she can play at a high level. Kim has gotten by so far by mostly out talenting SEC teams but the conference continues to get stronger so she won’t be able to get away with it this year

The path to the SEC title runs through Knoxville or Columbia. Both teams have elite caliber players and a pro ready stud ready to lead their perspective teams and the coaching is superior IMO Xs and Os to the rest of the conference if you are honest with yourself

Reaction Score
After watching AmeriCup, I think you have to slide LSU in the 3 to 5 spot in the SEC (with Ole Miss and Miss St). Yes LSU may finish as low as 5 with this roster. Reese just isn’t going to carry lsu vs better teams. She has regressed under Mulkey so far. Morrow wasn’t even good enough to make the team so doubtful she will elevate anything but will get her points. Hailey Van Lith is a volume shooter who is mostly inefficient and doesn’t play defense. Williams is an unknown if she can play at a high level. Kim has gotten by so far by mostly out talenting SEC teams but the conference continues to get stronger so she won’t be able to get away with it this year

The path to the SEC title runs through Knoxville or Columbia. Both teams have elite caliber players and a pro ready stud ready to lead their perspective teams and the coaching is superior IMO Xs and Os to the rest of the conference if you are honest with yourself
Reece won't face the same level of experience like she did in the Americup. She for sure struggled against the veteran forces in that competition. IMO only South Carolina, Tennessee and possibly Texas A&M can challenge Reece under the basket in the same way she was challenged. Honestly, of the few games I caught, she seemed out of practice. Like, she missed a few free throws that were not even in the same zipcode as the basket. I have a feeling she took some down time and was not in peak form during the tournament. Hopefully that isn't a trend for next season and she gets back to her routine. I think LSU will be just fine. I agree there are chinks in the armor, but every team has them.

Reaction Score
Reece won't face the same level of experience like she did in the Americup. She for sure struggled against the veteran forces in that competition. IMO only South Carolina, Tennessee and possibly Texas A&M can challenge Reece under the basket in the same way she was challenged. Honestly, of the few games I caught, she seemed out of practice. Like, she missed a few free throws that were not even in the same zipcode as the basket. I have a feeling she took some down time and was not in peak form during the tournament. Hopefully that isn't a trend for next season and she gets back to her routine. I think LSU will be just fine. I agree there are chinks in the armor, but every team has them.
You really can’t judge players on the basis of all star teams, the players do not know one another well and do not function optimally as a team. Any team that has players that have functioNed together on a regular basis should have the advantage over a group of very good players who are learning to play as a team. I suspect LSU will be better next season than they were last season. LSU will be, in my opinion, the leading candidate for the SEC champions and I believe they will be in the mix for the NC.

Reaction Score
I thought Kamila’s performance was a wake up call to the rest of the SEC. The full range of her skills was on display. The only question concerns the team Dawn can put around her. I think this is Raven’s year, but 3 pt shooting is not her best thing, and this will be a weakness all season. But the team actually looks like an upgrade to me defensively — still bigger and quicker than every other team in the SEC. Can Kitts or Tessa make a contribution? That’s the same question we should ask about Mikayla Williams or del Rosario. But we know Hall and PaoPao can contribute.

LSU has a lot of offense, and some of their new pieces from last season showed they can play serious D, like Poole and Flau’jae. Whether the team can mesh is an open question, but this is Kim’s super power.

Tennessee without Horston may be stronger with Powell and Walker at the top, Rickea at the wing they look to be pretty strong. And Rickea has shown she’s ready to play D with her defensive rebounding. If Key is ready to play she’ll be tough with Hollinshead next to her. They lose a lot of offense and that puts the pressure on Rickea. Can she handle it? I can’t wait to see.

This looks to be the best season for the SEC in recent memory.

Reaction Score
You really can’t judge players on the basis of all star teams, the players do not know one another well and do not function optimally as a team. Any team that has players that have functioNed together on a regular basis should have the advantage over a group of very good players who are learning to play as a team. I suspect LSU will be better next season than they were last season. LSU will be, in my opinion, the leading candidate for the SEC champions and I believe they will be in the mix for the NC.

Something also needs to be said about the fact this roster had a lot of inexperienced players when it comes to international/FIBA competition. An All-NCAA team won in 2021 against a lot of these same teams, however that roster included players much more familiar with FIBA and the physicality that comes with it. With the exception of Betts and Barker, most of these players were in their first FIBA competition ever (if memory serves correct).

Another area of adjustment are the rules as sometimes it looked like players weren't clear on what they could do in certain situations. One example, Reese went down with the ball in one game and made the gesture for a time out thinking they would retain possession like the college game. Time outs can only be called by coaches and when play has been stopped. Not having media time outs also could have thrown some players off thinking they'd get a breather.

And to your point about all-star teams, this LSU roster has similar challenges with who is joining the squad. There's no guarantee that they'll come out of the gates like a well oiled machine. Granted they'll have more time than a few weeks, but I wouldn't be surprised if they experience some hiccups during the earlier portion of the season.

Reaction Score
1. South Carolina (Kings until proven otherwise)
2. Tennessee (Harper has program rolling)
3. LSU (Kim is never going to beat Dawn while at LSU)
4. Ole Miss (Coach Yo doing work)
5. Miss St
6. Alabama
7. A&M
8. Arkansas
9. Vanderbilt
10. Georgia
11. Missouri
12. Auburn
13. Florida
14. Kentucky (Elzy is a sinking ship right now)
Aw, shuudup ur po’mouthin’

Reaction Score
I thought Kamila’s performance was a wake up call to the rest of the SEC. The full range of her skills was on display. The only question concerns the team Dawn can put around her. I think this is Raven’s year, but 3 pt shooting is not her best thing, and this will be a weakness all season. But the team actually looks like an upgrade to me defensively — still bigger and quicker than every other team in the SEC. Can Kitts or Tessa make a contribution? That’s the same question we should ask about Mikayla Williams or del Rosario. But we know Hall and PaoPao can contribute.

LSU has a lot of offense, and some of their new pieces from last season showed they can play serious D, like Poole and Flau’jae. Whether the team can mesh is an open question, but this is Kim’s super power.

Tennessee without Horston may be stronger with Powell and Walker at the top, Rickea at the wing they look to be pretty strong. And Rickea has shown she’s ready to play D with her defensive rebounding. If Key is ready to play she’ll be tough with Hollinshead next to her. They lose a lot of offense and that puts the pressure on Rickea. Can she handle it? I can’t wait to see.

This looks to be the best season for the SEC in recent memory.
Lets Go Good Job GIF
Mcdaag GIF

We got some shooters now...

Reaction Score
Stewie and Moriah lost to Canada in 2015. The Pan American games, the USA sent college kids and the other teams sent a combination of college and National team players.
We don't do well in these situations playing against players some who are late 20's early 30's.

Reaction Score
I literally talked about her free throws as my example which has nothing to do with team chemistry. I understand there wasn't enough time to develop good chemistry between players ... this isn't my first rodeo.

I honestly don't understand your criticism of my statement when it had nothing to do with player chemistry. Whatever you read between the lines of my statements were not the intentions I was trying to portray. I was only trying to highlight the fact that the Angel Reece we saw in the Americup probably will not be the same Angel Reece we see come SEC play... literally corroborating with your point.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

oj simpson shut up GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reaction Score
I literally talked about her free throws as my example which has nothing to do with team chemistry. I understand there wasn't enough time to develop good chemistry between players ... this isn't my first rodeo.

I honestly don't understand your criticism of my statement when it had nothing to do with player chemistry. Whatever you read between the lines of my statements were not the intentions I was trying to portray. I was only trying to highlight the fact that the Angel Reece we saw in the Americup probably will not be the same Angel Reece we see come SEC play... literally corroborating with your point.
No criticism meant. I was trying to convey my thoughts with regards to all star type teams vs established teams. I definitely want our USA teams to win every game they play but I believe it is a tough match up for a group of talented players to go against an established team even if the all star team has more talented players. I agree with you , I expect Angel Reece as well as the other players in the Americacup to perform much better in their usual team environment. I am looking forward to seeing LSU and South Carolina go up against one another, it should be a great game!

Reaction Score
No criticism meant. I was trying to convey my thoughts with regards to all star type teams vs established teams. I definitely want our USA teams to win every game they play but I believe it is a tough match up for a group of talented players to go against an established team even if the all star team has more talented players. I agree with you , I expect Angel Reece as well as the other players in the Americacup to perform much better in their usual team environment. I am looking forward to seeing LSU and South Carolina go up against one another, it should be a great game!
Tournament's like the Americup and Pan American games we send college kids.
The rest of the America's send most of the players from their national teams.
We lose most of the time in these competitions.
In 2015 Stewie and Moriah lost to Canada in the Pan American games.

Reaction Score
Tournament's like the Americup and Pan American games we send college kids.
The rest of the America's send most of the players from their national teams.
We lose most of the time in these competitions.
In 2015 Stewie and Moriah lost to Canada in the Pan American games.
I really wish I had made a screen shot of the post I saw on Twitter that talked about this. In their opinion, there's an untapped pool of players the US could consider instead of college players. Players that aren't in the WNBA and playing pro overseas, unsigned WNBA players, etc. They mused that there could be at least 50 players that could have been considered over who was invited to training camp.

These players would be more familiar with international play and/or the physicality of the game. It's a good idea that USA Basketball should consider, plus it gives these players a chance to show off what they could do and enhance their playing resume.

Reaction Score
I really wish I had made a screen shot of the post I saw on Twitter that talked about this. In their opinion, there's an untapped pool of players the US could consider instead of college players. Players that aren't in the WNBA and playing pro overseas, unsigned WNBA players, etc. They mused that there could be at least 50 players that could have been considered over who was invited to training camp.

These players would be more familiar with international play and/or the physicality of the game. It's a good idea that USA Basketball should consider, plus it gives these players a chance to show off what they could do and enhance their playing resume.
I love this idea. I always wonder what the waived player are doing -- especially those that are not playing overseas. Like, I've wondered what Brea Beal has been up to ever since she was waived from the Lynx. I think she would be the perfect type of player for this kind of event. The WNBA could utilize FIBA as a pseudo developmental league.

Reaction Score
I love this idea. I always wonder what the waived player are doing -- especially those that are not playing overseas. Like, I've wondered what Brea Beal has been up to ever since she was waived from the Lynx. I think she would be the perfect type of player for this kind of event. The WNBA could utilize FIBA as a pseudo developmental league.

Bingo. Beal is a GREAT example of who could have been considered.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom