Early SEC 23-24 season predictions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Early SEC 23-24 season predictions

Reaction Score
Mississippi State is quietly putting together a really nice roster. Starting 5 next year likely will be:
C: Jessika Carter, 6-5, Grad, 14.8 ppg, 7.7 rpg
F: Erynn Barnum, 6-2, Grad, 15.0 ppg, 6.5 rpg (at Arkansas)
F: Darionne Rogers, 5-11, Sr, 16.8 ppg, 5.1 apg (at DePaul)
G: Jerkaila Jordan, 5-9, Sr, 11.9 ppg, 5.2 rpg
G: Lauren Park, 5-3, Grad, 20.8 ppg, 6.3 apg (at Seton Hall)

That's a really nice starting 5. I could see them competing with Tennessee/Ole Miss for the #3 spot in the SEC.
I didn’t realize they were stacking like that. Roster looks like a 1 year fix.

Reaction Score
Jessika Carter having another year is really something.
She obviously is a very talented player. However her age and experience are going to be big factors too. I’m interested to see how being paired next to E Barnum is going to impact her game.

Reaction Score
Lord I don't know who plays where now for most of the league...

1. SCar
2. LSU
3. TN or Ole Miss
I have no evidence to back up my prediction (but then who does), but my uneducated guess is that Ole Miss takes a step back. It gets a little tougher when people expect more out of you and there is no more sneaking up on teams and coaches start to make adjustments to take away your strengths! We shall see how well this post ages!!

Reaction Score
I have no evidence to back up my prediction (but then who does), but my uneducated guess is that Ole Miss takes a step back. It gets a little tougher when people expect more out of you and there is no more sneaking up on teams and coaches start to make adjustments to take away your strengths! We shall see how well this post ages!!
They kind of arrived the year before though.

If I do dock Ole Miss at some point it's because TAMU and Miss State have done so well in the portal.

Reaction Score
LSU
Tennessee
Ole Miss
SC
Alabama
A&M
Miss State
Georgia
Florida
Missouri
Auburn
Kentucky Will win 1 more game than Vandy 1-17
Vanderbilt 0-18
Fourth? Oh woe is us. We don't have the Talent to compete.
(Rotational position players in Italics)

--------------------------------------------- [Ashlyn Watkins (6-3 Soph)]
Sakima Walker (6-5 Jr) (HG Top 50, JUCO Champ and POTY)

Strong Forward:

Saniya Feagan (6-3 Jr) (HG top 5)
-Ashlyn Watkins (6-3 Soph) (HG Top 15 and McDonalds Dunk Champ)
-------------------------------------------- [Chloe Kitts (6-2 Soph]

Wing/Forward:
Bree Hall (6-0 Jr) (HG Top 15)
Chloe Kitts (6-2 Soph) (HG Top 20)
-------------------------------------------------[Talaysia Cooper (6-0 Soph)]
Sahnya Jah (6-1 Fr.) ( HG Top 50, GEICO championship MOP)

Shooting Guard
Tehina Poa Poa (5-9, C-Jr) (Hoopgurlz Top 10)
-------------------------------------------------- [Milaysia Fulwiley (5-8 Fr)]
-------------------------------------------------- [Bree Hall (6-0 Jr)]
Talaysia Cooper (6-0 Soph) (HG Top 25)
Tessa Johnson (5-10 Fr) (HG Top 25)

Point Guard:
Raven Johnson (5-8 RS-Soph) (HG #2)
------------------------------- ----------------------{Tehina Poa Poa (5-6, C-Jr)]
Milaysia Fulwiley (5-8 Fr) (HG Top15)

Only Sakima Walker, Chloe Kitts and Sahnya Jah were not McDonalds AAs. Kitts was not eligible because she entered school early.

1683646912988.png

Reaction Score
I was thinking the other day about the inaugural ACC-SEC challenge in the fall and possible matchups. If I were a betting man, I think they will do a VPI vs L$U rematch. Personally I would love to see L$U and Hailey Van Lith at Louisville. Ole Miss @ Chapel Hill, Small Carolina vs ND, Kentucky at Duke, Tenne$$ee at Wake Forest.
How did Duke get Kentucky in your mind when do they get challenged

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How did Duke get Kentucky in your mind when do they get challenged

Lawson and Elzy were teammates at TN. Both schools have blue and white uniforms. Seems like a quality matchup

Reaction Score
I think Cambridge may be their best player. I am just making the point. They should be better than last year. They had three players with season ending injuries before the season started.

Cambridge is in the portal.

Reaction Score
Fourth? Oh woe is us. We don't have the Talent to compete.
(Rotational position players in Italics)

--------------------------------------------- [Ashlyn Watkins (6-3 Soph)]
Sakima Walker (6-5 Jr) (HG Top 50, JUCO Champ and POTY)

Strong Forward:

Saniya Feagan (6-3 Jr) (HG top 5)
-Ashlyn Watkins (6-3 Soph) (HG Top 15 and McDonalds Dunk Champ)
-------------------------------------------- [Chloe Kitts (6-2 Soph]

Wing/Forward:
Bree Hall (6-0 Jr) (HG Top 15)
Chloe Kitts (6-2 Soph) (HG Top 20)
-------------------------------------------------[Talaysia Cooper (6-0 Soph)]
Sahnya Jah (6-1 Fr.) ( HG Top 50, GEICO championship MOP)

Shooting Guard
Tehina Poa Poa (5-9, C-Jr) (Hoopgurlz Top 10)
-------------------------------------------------- [Milaysia Fulwiley (5-8 Fr)]
-------------------------------------------------- [Bree Hall (6-0 Jr)]
Talaysia Cooper (6-0 Soph) (HG Top 25)
Tessa Johnson (5-10 Fr) (HG Top 25)

Point Guard:
Raven Johnson (5-8 RS-Soph) (HG #2)
------------------------------- ----------------------{Tehina Poa Poa (5-6, C-Jr)]
Milaysia Fulwiley (5-8 Fr) (HG Top15)

Only Sakima Walker, Chloe Kitts and Sahnya Jah were not McDonalds AAs. Kitts was not eligible because she entered school early.

View attachment 88110
I'll put in my 2 cents for SC to win the SEC and probably beat LSU twice. The front line just looks too strong. Watkins and Feagins alone look to be enough to close off Reese and Morrow. There's just so much athleticism there. Add in Kamila and it's no contest in my view.

I'm not impressed by Kitts, but the team doesn't need her to be great to win. I'm not even sure Pao Pao is an essential addition. A backcourt of Bree and Raven, backed up by Cooper, Fulwiley and Tessa will already be formidable. Anything Kitts and Pao Pao can contribute is just gravy.

Reaction Score
LSU
SC
Tennessee
Mississippi State
TAMU
Arkansas
Ole Miss
UGA
Bama
Vandy
Mizzou
Florida
Auburn
Kentucky
Any changes? I think I pretty much agree with this list but TAMU could be top 3

Reaction Score
TAMUArkOle MissMiss StateTenSCLSU
E. RogersSamara SpencerKK DeansLauren Park-LaneDestinee WellsRaven JohnsonHailey Van Lith
Sydney BowlesSasha GoforthMaequesha DavisJerKaila JordanJewel SpearTe Hina PaopaoFlau'Jae Johnson
CoulibalySaylor PoffenbargerKennedy Todd WilliamsDarrione RogersDarbyBree HallKateri Poole
BarkerJersey WolfenbargerSnudda CollinsErynn BarnumRickea JacksonSania FeaginAneesah Morrow
Lauren WareMaryam DaudaKharyssa RichardsonJessika CarterTamari KeyKamilla CardosoAngel Reese

Potential starting 5s in the SEC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
E. RogersSamara SpencerKK DeansLauren Park-LaneDestinee WellsRaven JohnsonHailey Van Lith
Sydney BowlesSasha GoforthMaequesha DavisJerKaila JordanJewel SpearTe Hina PaopaoFlau'Jae Johnson
CoulibalySaylor PoffenbargerKennedy Todd WilliamsDarrione RogersDarbyBree HallKateri Poole
BarkerJersey WolfenbargerSnudda CollinsErynn BarnumRickea JacksonSania FeaginAneesah Morrow
Lauren WareMaryam DaudaKharyssa RichardsonJessika CarterTamari KeyKamilla CardosoAngel Reese

Looking at the lineups side by side Arkansas and Ole Miss don’t look as impressive as the others.

A couple of opinions: I predict J Malone starts over L Ware unless Ware is completely healthy. I predict the freshman M Williams starts for LSU in place of Poole.

Reaction Score
Looking at the lineups side by side Arkansas and Ole Miss don’t look as impressive as the others.

A couple of opinions: I predict J Malone starts over L Ware unless Ware is completely healthy. I predict the freshman M Williams starts for LSU in place of Poole.
I agree. I expect both teams to be competing for NCAA tournament bids but I don't expect them to be at the top of the SEC. Maybe Coach Yo will work her magic again this season but I get the feeling they're maintaining status quo while a few teams have upgraded their talent.

My guess as of today:

1. LSU
2. South Carolina
3. Tennessee
4. Miss State
5. Texas A&M
6. Ole Miss
7. Arkansas

Reaction Score

The Ark starters are probably going to be Makayla Daniels, Spencer, Goforth, Poffenbarger, and Dauda. I think Wolfenbarger begins the season as 6th woman (maybe co-6th woman with Taliah Scott).

Reaction Score
I was gonna say Tennessee looks weaker for next year than last year and Arkansas looks stronger. Goforth Spencer and Poffenbarger look like a strong backcourt to me. But maybe I’m expecting too much from Saylor.

Reaction Score
I was gonna say Tennessee looks weaker for next year than last year and Arkansas looks stronger. Goforth Spencer and Poffenbarger look like a strong backcourt to me. But maybe I’m expecting too much from Saylor.
Losing Barnum was a huge blow. They have always had good guard play, that's never been the question, but they are severely undermanned to face the rest of the SEC without a dominant big. A healthy Barnum could have really helped on the defensive interior.

Reaction Score

Potential starting 5s

Thanks for the chart of the potential starting lineups for the consensus top 7 teams of what should clearly be the best conference (for the top half) in the country this year. As visitingcock pointed out, South Carolina's quantity of quality depth is immense; however LSU has some nice pieces off the bench, as do the LVs.

It will be really interesting to see how Morrow fits in as her best attribute of offensive rebounding is somewhat mitigated by being duplicated by Reese and her height in SEC play, etc. Maybe she will continue to develop her outside game, but last year that resulted in extremely high usage, low efficiency, and not great results for her team. Her usage won't be as high either with Van Lith, Angel, Williams, Flau'Jae, etc.

Generally, it takes a while to incorporate a lot of quality transfers as we saw with Tennessee who couldn't beat any of their quality nonconference foes last year. LSU went the other route and chose not to play any, which probably resulted in less team doubt and turmoil.

As of now:

1. LSU (I have too much respect for Kim, even compared to other great coaches in this conference)
2. SC (good chance that I move them to #1)
3. Tenn
4. MSU
5. A&M
6. Ole Miss
7. Ark
8. Bama
9. GA
10. Auburn
11. Mizzou
12. Florida
13. Vanderbilt
14. Kentucky

Reaction Score
Thanks for the chart of the potential starting lineups for the consensus top 7 teams of what should clearly be the best conference (for the top half) in the country this year. As visitingcock pointed out, South Carolina's quantity of quality depth is immense; however LSU has some nice pieces off the bench, as do the LVs.

It will be really interesting to see how Morrow fits in as her best attribute of offensive rebounding is somewhat mitigated by being duplicated by Reese and her height in SEC play, etc. Maybe she will continue to develop her outside game, but last year that resulted in extremely high usage, low efficiency, and not great results for her team. Her usage won't be as high either with Van Lith, Angel, Williams, Flau'Jae, etc.

Generally, it takes a while to incorporate a lot of quality transfers as we saw with Tennessee who couldn't beat any of their quality nonconference foes last year. LSU went the other route and chose not to play any, which probably resulted in less team doubt and turmoil.

As of now:

1. LSU (I have too much respect for Kim, even compared to other great coaches in this conference)
2. SC (good chance that I move them to #1)
3. Tenn
4. MSU
5. A&M
6. Ole Miss
7. Ark
8. Bama
9. GA
10. Auburn
11. Mizzou
12. Florida
13. Vanderbilt
14. Kentucky
Great point about the top 3 teams benches. It really may be the separator as A&M and MSU have really talented potential starting units. Harper and Mulkey in particular are not afraid to use their bench and both teams should have quality experienced players off their bench.

Reaction Score
Great point about the top 3 teams benches. It really may be the separator as A&M and MSU have really talented potential starting units. Harper and Mulkey in particular are not afraid to use their bench and both teams should have quality experienced players off their bench.
It is a great point. Regarding MSU’s bench, R Parker will be the backup at five and four. D Powe will be the primary at three and four. Powe was freshman All SEC. She was a starter and one of the leaders minutes played last season and will push for major minutes again. R Parker will likely play more four and E Barnum will slide to the post when they are paired. There is also the big 6-6 freshman. Front court starters and backups are fine. However, other than D Rogers sliding to the back court, the depth there consists of two freshmen and a junior college player. MSU could really use one more experienced combo guard.

Reaction Score
It is a great point. Regarding MSU’s bench, R Parker will be the backup at five and four. D Powe will be the primary at three and four. Powe was freshman All SEC. She was a starter and one of the leaders minutes played last season and will push for major minutes again. R Parker will likely play more four and E Barnum will slide to the post when they are paired. There is also the big 6-6 freshman. Front court starters and backups are fine. However, other than D Rogers sliding to the back court, the depth there consists of two freshmen and a junior college player. MSU could really use one more experienced combo guard.
Agreed. Debreasha had a really nice start, but ran into a bit of a Freshman wall (which most did -- even Latson & Flau'Jae; Cotie, not so much), and relied on the 3 too often (shot more 3's than 2's going 30% from deep, resulting in an overall FG% in the 30s). That being said, I think that Powe will take a major step forward in her sophomore year.

Parker did get more comfortable as the year progressed and she will be needed against frontcourt depth vs. top-tier SEC competition. I am a big fan of Coach Purcell's enthusiasm as it relates to recruiting and motivating the team, but his in-game decisions left a lot to be desired (especially and ironically in their win vs TN).

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Poffenbarger looked great in her games vs. SC. I think she’s due for a breakout.

Reaction Score
Losing Barnum was a huge blow. They have always had good guard play, that's never been the question, but they are severely undermanned to face the rest of the SEC without a dominant big. A healthy Barnum could have really helped on the defensive interior.
I think you have that wrong. Barnum's biggest weakness is her defense. She is very crafty with the ball and can score in a number of ways, as long as she isn't guarded by someone like Boston. But on defense, she is pretty average.

Reaction Score
I think you have that wrong. Barnum's biggest weakness is her defense. She is very crafty with the ball and can score in a number of ways, as long as she isn't guarded by someone like Boston. But on defense, she is pretty average.
I think Arkansas is going to be electric with their guard play, but I do think its a sincere question on who's going to be able to be competitive in the paint. We know Arkansas has guards who are quick and able to generate a lot of offense. But the Lack of an interior presence (rebounding and defense) is a major concern for Arkansas at this point. I was very high on Dauda coming out of HS but waiting and see how she will be able to handle a bigger role inside this coming year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom