2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DC will get there eventually.. UConn interest in Miranda should tell you something
I guess I need it spelled out. I have no idea what you are suggesting recruiting Miranda should tell me. We have recruited Clingan with Sanogo on the roster, should that tell me something as well? Miranda is a stretch 5 /4 that is more a Samson Johnson comp than Clingan. He seems more mobile than Clingan to extend defense. I don't even see much overlap in style. I thought we just wanted a bunch of good players. Clingan will have a year under his belt when Miranda arrives with his own need to gain strength, adjust to the speed of the game etc.

I think Clingan has all the tools and skills he needs to be impactful immediately, however, I expect early in his career he will pick up 2 fouls in 3-4 minutes and be on the bench a ton. If he can give us 10-12 minutes as a frosh, and show flashes of demanding double teams and being an effective passer, we will have a ton to work with.

Reaction Score
I guess I need it spelled out. I have no idea what you are suggesting recruiting Miranda should tell me. We have recruited Clingan with Sanogo on the roster, should that tell me something as well? Miranda is a stretch 5 /4 that is more a Samson Johnson comp than Clingan. He seems more mobile than Clingan to extend defense. I don't even see much overlap in style. I thought we just wanted a bunch of good players. Clingan will have a year under his belt when Miranda arrives with his own need to gain strength, adjust to the speed of the game etc.

I think Clingan has all the tools and skills he needs to be impactful immediately, however, I expect early in his career he will pick up 2 fouls in 3-4 minutes and be on the bench a ton. If he can give us 10-12 minutes as a frosh, and show flashes of demanding double teams and being an effective passer, we will have a ton to work with.
Some people are banging on Clingan's comp in HS and my response is. Look at how much extra work he is putting into his game off-season and on the AAU circuit vs top HS talent. He's also a student of the game--catches as many UConn games as possible(taking notes)- and understands he needs to develop a decent outside shot to keep defenses honest at the next level.Very impressed with his passing skills.

If we are lucky enough to land Miranda-- Our front court will be crazy good and/or refortified if some of our guys play themselves into NBA consideration.

My comment was meant less about Clingan and Miranda overlap and more about DH/staff continuing to reload on talent at the 5/4 spot. IMO-- Miranda looks more like a Samson type of stretch 4/5 than a classic 5-- With the potential to put the ball on the floor to get his own shot. I do not put in the time that you do to watch tape/games. Just my casual observations.

Reaction Score
I am assuming you can get tickets at the door?
Most likely yes. Or you can get them online at the link I posted. $10 for both games.

6pm - Ledyard vs. Waterford
8pm - Bristol Central vs. East Catholic

Reaction Score
He sounds like a very grounded kid. Well spoken. Very comfortable in his own skin.
He's a project. He's also a 7'2 monster that can pass and shoot. He'll find his place on the court. His defense will take some work, but he has the right mentality to get there... and being humongous is a really big handicap on that end.

We CANNOT have him in the hard hedge. Get him and Whaley off the damn 3 point line unless we're desperate.
He's a great kid for sure, with a great attitude, but 429 may well be right that he's more of a project than many here think he is.

But, he loves the state and UConn and appears to have the drive to succeed and do what he needs to do to improve physically and become the player everyone is hoping he'll be.

Reaction Score
Went to Mohegan Sun tonight for the East Catholic game. Clingan was awesome. 29 points 19 rebounds and maybe 7 blocks. He basically got fouled every single possession but the refs couldn’t call it every time. Had some nice passes and hit a smooth midrange shot.

The bad points in his performance were poor free throw shooting (went 5/6 in the first half then maybe 2/8 in the second) and foul trouble. He got called for a bogus third foul in the 3rd quarter and then immediately got his fourth on a tech for arguing the call. Had to sit for a while but the team played well without him.

Donovan also broke his mom’s all-time rebound record for Bristol Central at the game tonight. Special moment for which he got a nice ovation.

The kid’s size is unbelievable. He’s just huge. This was my first time seeing him play. Seems like he is in decent shape (played all first half, running hard, playing through tons of contact) and he moves well. So stoked to see him play at UConn.

My poker game wasn’t quite as on point tonight unfortunately.

Reaction Score

when you're that tall, it's not even fair.

"While taking down one of the top opponents in the state is always important, this game will forever hold additional significance to Clingan, as he became Central’s all-time leader in rebounds (1,033). His 18 rebounds on the night pushed Clingan ahead of his late-mother, Stacey, who held the record since 1993.

“It means a lot to me to be up there next to my mom,” Clingan said. “She inspires me every day to play this sport, to work hard and get better. Just to be up there next to her means the absolute world to me and I know she’s proud of me.”"

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
I watched him play last night at Mohegan. Fun to watch, loves to compete. Because he's so big he doesn't get up and down the floor with speed. It will be interesting how he fits with UCONN if they look to push the ball. He will be perfect in a half court game but not if they want to run...this will be interesting to see. Rooting for the kid, seems like a competitor.

Reaction Score
Bristol Public Schools Athletics are on pause.

"Despite postponing the wrestling team’s Wednesday match against Berlin, Bristol Central girls basketball was still able to go on the road to face Middletown on Thursday while the boys team’s home game against Middletown was postponed. All three teams are slated to play again Tuesday with Central hosting Bristol Eastern on Tuesday night."

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Anyone here seen Clingan in person recently? 7 footer with shooting touch sounds pretty good.
I was going to watch local games but was told that they were not open to the general public. Something like a couple of tickets for the family of each player.

Reaction Score
Are you really suggesting that Whaley shouldn’t be doing hard hedges? Or shouldn’t shoot 3s? Or both?

Either suggestion is insane.
I’m ok with Whaley doing it, but not really with the others. Also a hard no for IW if he’s the only rim protector on the court.

Reaction Score
He was shooting and hitting threes while warming up at Mohegan Sun the other day. Also swished a smooth midrange jumper in-game. Don't know that it makes much sense for him to be taking side-step threes against that competition though, considering he is basically unstoppable in the paint.

Reaction Score
Holy smokes, he looks so much bigger in that video compared to other ones I’ve seen

Reaction Score
Diet
Weight room
Defense
Weight room
Film
Weight room....

Nice hands. Soft touch. I like his skill set. Sounds like a great kid to have on any program. I'm excited to see him develop for sure. Happy he chose UCONN.

Reaction Score
DC has been putting in a lot of time in the gym to work on some of his perceived weaknesses-such as his outside shot. He knows it will help him get ready for his career after UConn and will only enhance his impact in Storrs while there.

Keeping the D honest on him outside of the paint will be huge for him.

Reaction Score
I think there's going to be a CIAC-wide pause coming, these high school programs are getting hit like the NCAA and NBA..

Talked to a fellow coach who asked his AD if she thought they were going to finish the season, her response, "NO!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom