2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan Update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

It's funny how screwy they are with heights. Clingan is listed at 7'0 or 7'1 all the time and Miranda is listed at 7'0 or 7'1 all the time. In reality Clingan is 2 or 3 inches taller than Miranda. Clingan is the weird player who gets listed shorter than his actual height.

Reaction Score
I see and have always seen Jake Voskuhl from this kid, I can't unsee it. He's taller but in an age where everyone is taller his height will likely make less of an impact. I just don't see the high end upside here but he's going to play minutes and make us better. Now everyone can be a monster.

Reaction Score
I see and have always seen Jake Voskuhl from this kid, I can't unsee it. He's taller but in an age where everyone is taller his height will likely make less of an impact. I just don't see the high end upside here but he's going to play minutes and make us better. Now everyone can be a monster.
That's actually not true but you are far from alone in thinking that. Players are actually smaller now than when Jake played. There are only a few NBA players with a larger frame than Clingan, he's going to be bigger than everyone he plays against. Strength and conditioning program should be huge for him.

Reaction Score
That's actually not true but you are far from alone in thinking that. Players are actually smaller now than when Jake played. There are only a few NBA players with a larger frame than Clingan, he's going to be bigger than everyone he plays against. Strength and conditioning program should be huge for him.
Yeah the peak NBA weight was ~2013. It increased basically every year before that since the 50s, and has since started dipping. It's now plateaued to about what it was around when Jake was a rookie in 2000.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Jake set the best picks of any big in UConn history that I can recall. If Clingan learns to set screens like Jake did, he will be a big time player for UConn.

Reaction Score
Yeah the peak NBA weight was ~2013. It increased basically every year before that since the 50s, and has since started dipping. It's now plateaued to about what it was around when Jake was a rookie in 2000.
Yep. It's pretty wild, players are the shortest they've been in the NBA in 41 years and they're the lightest they've been in the 21st century. These charts give a great breakdown...

70 Years of Height Evolution in the NBA [4,504 players analyzed] | RunRepeat

Reaction Score
Jake set the best picks of any big in UConn history that I can recall. If Clingan learns to set screens like Jake did, he will be a big time player for UConn.
Jake is the most underrated player I've seen at UConn. He's the classic guy where the stats don't show his true value. He did all the little super important things that help you win and don't get you much of the fanfare. As you stated he set the best screens. He also was great at quickly throwing the outlet to get the break started, played excellent position D, was great at boxing out and would tip it out if he couldn't secure it. Just a really smart player who always gave maximum effort.

Reaction Score
Has DC even stopped growing yet? Think about that.. He is still growing into his young body.. A young giraffe.

Once he's got his footwork figured out and his SnC...He'll be an asset in the right scheme.

Got to get some "lift" in his springs to be dominant

Reaction Score

Holy crap. We’re afraid that “all” this kid will be is a four year starter and national champion?

Don’t get me wrong — I’d love to see him be an All American level player too, but he’s so raw from all reports that no one can know how high his ceiling will be after he improves strength and conditioning and learns how to play against high level opponents. But that is so far away in his development that it’s not worth worrying about. He is not looked at nationally as the next Walton or Alcindor. He’s a Top 50 recruit, not a consensus #1. For now, if he becomes Jake we and he will be fine.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Holy crap. We’re afraid that “all” this kid will be is a four year starter and national champion?

Don’t get me wrong — I’d love to see him be an All American level player too, but he’s so raw from all reports that no one can know how hithroat his ceiling will be after he improves strength and conditioning and learns now to play against high level opponents. But that is so far away in his development that it’s not worth worrying about. He is not looked at nationally as the next Walton or Alcindor. He’s a Top 50 recruit, not a consensus #1. For now, if he becomes Jake we and he will be fine.

Yep. We'd like him to be great but if DC's floor is JV's ceiling, it's a win.

Bottom line the kid is a top 40 recruits and recruits in that range have a wide variance of on court performance. It's not a slam dunk he starts four years and ends up averaging 17 and 12 for his career.

Reaction Score
He's 7'+.

If he ran like a gazelle and shot well from deep at 18 he'd be a generational talent and an tabbed to be an all time great.

You can't teach size. A year or two in the S+C program at UConn and we're looking at a very, very good college player.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's 7'+.

If he ran like a gazelle and shot well from deep at 18 he'd be a generational talent and an tabbed to be an all time great.

You can't teach size. A year or two in the S+C program at UConn and we're looking at a very, very good college player.
This. I think people are being a little overly critical of a high school kid who has decent size and reasonable foot work. Does his game look like a college upper classmen? No, why would it? Give him a year or two in a college strength and conditioning program and he’s going to be a force to be reckoned with. In the meantime he has sufficient size and skill to contribute behind Sanogo.

Reaction Score
Jake was naturally very strong and ran better than Donovan. Donovan may have better offensive skills? As Chief recalls, Jake only average about 10 points per game in HS. His teammate, who was the bigger points guy, also signed with UConn. He later transferred out.
While not a great shot blocker compared to Emeka or Brimah - Jake’s post defense was exceptional. Jim use to call him his “Rim Protector”. I also agree he was one of the best screeners Chief has seen. A good two handed above the head outlet pass guy too.

Reaction Score
Jake was naturally very strong and ran better than Donovan. Donovan may have better offensive skills? As Chief recalls, Jake only average about 10 points per game in HS. His teammate, who was the bigger points guy, also signed with UConn. He later transferred out.
While not a great shot blocker compared to Emeka or Brimah - Jake’s post defense was exceptional. Jim use to call him his “Rim Protector”. I also agree he was one of the best screeners Chief has seen. A good two handed above the head outlet pass guy too.
Michael LeBlanc

Reaction Score
I’m with Chief on this one. Jake was chiseled and was fairly athletic for a 6’10-6’11 guy. I don’t see him when I watch DC. The closer comp for me is Travis Knight. While DC has much more bulk than TK had, both give off that baby giraffe vibe athletically and in terms of coordination/body movement. Travis developed a nice 10-12 foot jumper and could score close-in. No matter how you slice it, Jake and Travis spent nine and seven years respectively in the NBA. I’d be thrilled to see Donovan reach those levels of success.

Reaction Score
Jake, Travis or whoever. He’s a 7’1 teenager who knows how to play the game, knows where the basket is and is going to get into a college shaped body. Those who don’t see the potential ceiling here are those intent on being upset he never left Bristol Central and is playing versus undersized kids way too often. It will take time, it will take hard work but he wants it bad enough, he will be a force. Too much there to think otherwise it’s the timing that is the only question.

Reaction Score
When Jake set a pick--Not too many defenders got around/through the pick. Served him pretty well in his NBA career. The Land of Pick and Roll.

If DC can model some of JV's talent in that one skill while at UConn.. A lot of W's in Storrs for the next few years.

Reaction Score
When Jake set a pick--Not too many defenders got around/through the pick. Served him pretty well in his NBA career. The Land of Pick and Roll.

If DC can model some of JV's talent in that one skill while at UConn.. A lot of W's in Storrs for the next few years.
That would be a great start huge, solid picks and think about this he’s already better offensively than Jake ever was at UConn. Now the defensive end as far as solid on the block defense, no one better ever so DC will have a ways to go there.

Reaction Score

It’s interesting that most of Jake’s picks were down on the blocks, whike Sanogo’s are 20 feet from the hoop. I think you can get 3’s off of screens on the blocks and I wish we would run some double screen action on the blocks. It opens up corner threes and ultimately layups.

Orc

Reaction Score
Sounds like he will be glued to the bench next year too based on what I’m hearing being limited offensively ? Maybe we’ll see him in 2024 his jr year?

Reaction Score
Sounds like he will be glued to the bench next year too based on what I’m hearing being limited offensively ? Maybe we’ll see him in 2024 his jr year?

Doubt that!

Reaction Score
@auror I agree with your basic points. I'm only posting this because I don't want to give the Purdue staff some extra credit for uncovering a gem. I saw him play twice in high school in person, and what he is doing now is just more of the same. I think Edey's HS ranking says more about the ranking services than Purdue's coaching staff. In my view the services undervalue these big kids, at least for college impact.

Edey and Mark Williams were IMG's centers when Sanogo played against them at Hoophall. The only reason he didn't start was because 7' Williams was on the same team. I had never heard of Edey before the game but wrote here on the Boneyard that he was huge and was an impressive player with skills. I posted Zach Edey (IMG), Harold Yu (Sierra Canyon), Hunter Dickinson (Dematha), were among a group of impressive kids that were solidly over 7' and 250lbs with skills. Its not about me spotting talent because the potential was as obvious as Clingan's, and Dickinson's.

The key is a coaching staff that will play the game to a big kid's strengths, and, surround him with some other talent. We played Thabeet defensively in the lane and rode his shot blocking without asking him to play offensively beyond his capabilities. Tacko Fall caused Central Florida to briefly be basketball relevant, but the coaches didn't surround him with quality. Dickinson did a lot to make Michigan formidable last year. Clingan will have success here. He will score in the post when he gets deep position or his defender has to help. He'll pass out of double teams, and teammates like Karaban are going to get better looks. It is up to Hurley to play to the kid's strengths and figure out how to keep him in the lane defensively. My only reservation with regard to development, is learning how to stay in the game and not get fouls called on him reaching or just being big. I'm only expecting 10-12 minutes a game as a freshman, but I am expecting results in those minutes.
Purdue is known as one of the top schools for developing big men. Between Trevion Williams and Zach Edey they have one of the most efficient front courts in college basketball.
The question is can they go to a Final Four?

Reaction Score
Watched Clingan & BCHS last night vs. Springfield Central at the HoopHall Classic in Springfield. Obviously he's a big talent with some area to improve still (mainly conditioning, getting better hands, using his size to bully down low), but wow was I impressed with his poise being the biggest, and best, player on the court. The Springfield team was chippy and tried to rough him up early, to the point that on his first two offensive possessions, they wrapped both arms around him and dragged him to the floor (football-style tackle) at one point. He never got in anyone's face and never let it phase him, as I'm sure he's been dealing with this for years. Mentally tough kid it seems. Looking forward to him bringing it to Storrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom