Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the ACC were smart they would try to add UCONN and SMU tomorrow and Tulane and Memphis should be close behind. They won't do it because they are clueless with no plan for the future other than dissolve the league.
The ACC has no need to rush on any of SMU, Tulane and Memphis. They may get there eventually but only if the ACC has no other options. (Tulane was a part of the bridge too far additions that prompted the catholics to leave the Big East/AAC and form the current incarnation of the Big East, they aren't going to be any more appealing to Syracuse, BC, Wake or any of the ACC left-behinds)

Reaction Score
The PAC 12 has been rumored to be eyeing SMU.
Yes and SMU should go if they get an invite. SMU vs. Rice vs. Tulane vs. Memphis vs. Temple etc are all essentially replacement-level conference filler. You can find enough schools of similar value out there. If you need Texas market plus academics SMU/Rice are pretty interchangeable if your the ACC and are just trying to fill the conference.

Reaction Score
Yes and SMU should go if they get an invite. SMU vs. Rice vs. Tulane vs. Memphis vs. Temple etc are all essentially replacement-level conference filler. You can find enough schools of similar value out there. If you need Texas market plus academics SMU/Rice are pretty interchangeable if your the ACC and are just trying to fill the conference.

I think SMU is way ahead of Rice sports wise. I was very impressed with their basketball fan support when Larry Brown was their coach.

Reaction Score
I think SMU is way ahead of Rice sports wise. I was very impressed with their basketball fan support when Larry Brown was their coach.
Sure... but if the ACC is adding SMU, it's not about sports quality or institutional fit. It's about survival and thinking that Texas gets them (and ESPN) some distribution on the ACC to squeeze out an extra dollar or two on the TV deal.

Reaction Score
Man I made the mistake of reading the Bball board and boy are those fans delusional. Almost half of them think that staying in the BE would be the best move for the athletic department. YIKES.
I just glad that we have half their support. My friends out here think UConn fans have lost their mind for not wanting to join the Big 12

Reaction Score
I personally would rather UConn go to the Big 12. I'd much rather see UConn play the likes of WV, ISU, Kansas, K State than BC, Syracuse, Pitt and Duke.
I disagree. I think it'll be healthier to play the eastern schools in a mutual sort of way.

Reaction Score
I just glad that we have half their support. My friends out here think UConn fans have lost their mind for not wanting to join the Big 12
It's such a wide range of reactions that I get. Most of the time I have to bite my tongue to avoid going into the history of the big east, conference realignment, AAC, Television revenues, etc. every time it comes up. Save the table pounding and name calling for twitter and boneyard.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I have to laugh at some of these posts.

When the OBE broke up, we were left with the AAC. Posters on this board were screaming that UConn deserved a place at the P5 table. When the ACC took Louisville over UConn, people wanted Herbst and Manual out. They were asleep at the wheel watching the UConn women playing in an early tournament.

Now with the potential of an invite to the Big 12, people want football to say independent and basketball to stay in the NBE.

You do not pass up and invite to the Big 12 if it comes.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Unfortunately there is a portion of the UConn fanbase that would like nothing more than the football program's death
That same portion doesn’t realize that it will be death by $40 million annually that will sink the rest of our sports. As soon as more P5 schools choose to throw a few bucks in the pot, we’re sunk.

Reaction Score
It has been reported that the networks will accept UConn as a P-5 team as far as payments to the conference go.
That is some myth that was brought about because ten years ago the Big 10 supposedly agreed to consider UConn a P5 opponent for a season. It was never confirmed and has zero to do with a TV contract in a completely different league. The Big 12 contract specifically states P5 will get the same additional money per team. In fact, the current teams who just joined caused the other teams some money and won't get the same payout for years simply because of that reason. Do you actually believe that BYU is not considered P5, but for some odd reason UConn is?

Reaction Score
The ACC has no need to rush on any of SMU, Tulane and Memphis. They may get there eventually but only if the ACC has no other options. (Tulane was a part of the bridge too far additions that prompted the catholics to leave the Big East/AAC and form the current incarnation of the Big East, they aren't going to be any more appealing to Syracuse, BC, Wake or any of the ACC left-behinds)
They now look prestigious. That's why they take their time. Have the right and the opportunity.

Reaction Score
That is some myth that was brought about because ten years ago the Big 10 supposedly agreed to consider UConn a P5 opponent for a season. It was never confirmed and has zero to do with a TV contract in a completely different league. The Big 12 contract specifically states P5 will get the same additional money per team. In fact, the current teams who just joined caused the other teams some money and won't get the same payout for years simply because of that reason. Do you actually believe that BYU is not considered P5, but for some odd reason UConn is?
Not quite. it was reported currently there are select G5s the Big12 TV partners will pay pro rata for. It probably has to do with our BB success and "TV power". They mentioned UConn specifically, don't know who the others are.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
because the ACC members at the top don't see things like that. They see it as one more mouth to feed.
And yet they have a media deal that automatically pays a pro rata share increase for new members.

Reaction Score
BYU is already considered a P5 school they don't need to be "agreed" to be. Plus the Big 10 also mentions BYU with UConn sooooo,....

Reaction Score
BYU is already considered a P5 school they don't need to be "agreed" to be. Plus the Big 10 also mentions BYU with UConn sooooo,....
As well they should... How many programs have grown men up and down the lineup as they do? The take time off for those Mormon Missions then come back fully grown...

Reaction Score
Big 12 Teams took a revenue share cut to add BYU.

The whole Big 10 thing was because Cincinnati and UConn had a ton of games scheduled with Big 10 teams and the Big 10 changed the rules and just made an exception so they didn't blow up the schedules of their conference teams. Army and Navy were also eventually included in the exceptions group because of scheduling. Only BYU and Notre Dame were actually included in the rule, but they simply made exceptions for the other teams.

Reaction Score
Not quite. it was reported currently there are select G5s the Big12 TV partners will pay pro rata for. It probably has to do with our BB success and "TV power". They mentioned UConn specifically, don't know who the others are.
Prove it. They literally just took a per school payout cut to add BYU, which completely disproves your point. Even with the BIG 10 rule, it was only Notre Dame and that counted as games under the rule and they gave exceptions to other teams like us and Cinci because we had so many games scheduled. Even with that, the Big 12 took a per team contract haircut to add BYU.

Reaction Score
Wrong

Reaction Score
Prove it. They literally just took a per school payout cut to add BYU, which completely disproves your point. Even with the BIG 10 rule, it was only Notre Dame and that counted as games under the rule and they gave exceptions to other teams like us and Cinci because we had so many games scheduled. Even with that, the Big 12 took a per team contract haircut to add BYU.
Not that i have to prove anything, but the tweet i saw was from a news source. Too hard to find now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom