Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Amore is probably the most respected of the state media group and in this piece he makes two crucial points:1. The Big 12 is in no way similar to the AAC; and 2. UConn going to the AAC was never a decision about chasing football money. The Big East was not an option at the time.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It is not just money. We have got to get closer aligned with the "football schools" and drop the "G5" stigma. Spend 10 years towards the top of the pile earning real money and fielding competitive teams and we have much more opportunity than we do today.

Reaction Score

"If the Big 12 came calling now, it would be UConn’s choice to join or pass, and the continued conference realignment leaves UConn holding some cards. With Hurley’s championship and the improved football credibility that Jim Mora has brought, it must look a lot better to suitors than it did when the conference dancing began.

No longer desperate to escape the AAC, UConn would still be in a good place if it stays put."

Reminds me of when we joined the Big East and Susan Herbst said UConn “couldn’t keep being a feather in the wind of conference realignment,” and that joining the Big East was “about taking some control of our own destiny as an athletic program.”

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
"If the Big 12 came calling now, it would be UConn’s choice to join or pass, and the continued conference realignment leaves UConn holding some cards. With Hurley’s championship and the improved football credibility that Jim Mora has brought, it must look a lot better to suitors than it did when the conference dancing began.

No longer desperate to escape the AAC, UConn would still be in a good place if it stays put."

Reminds me of when we joined the Big East and Susan Herbst said UConn “couldn’t keep being a feather in the wind of conference realignment,” and that joining the Big East was “about taking some control of our own destiny as an athletic program.”
Yes. We have hand now

Reaction Score
Love is everything until you see the money.

Don't get it twisted.

Reaction Score
Let's just drop the act already. If the B12 comes calling, we will say YES before they hang up.

No conference will issue an invite unless the answer is yes already. AD Dave is just being political, but he knows we will go to the B12 if there is an invite.

We just need to make sure we will be a full member from day 1.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Yes. We have hand now
And if we don’t play our cards right, we’re gonna need it.
I knew someone would get it ;)
george costanza comedy GIF

Reaction Score
Let's just drop the act already. If the B12 comes calling, we will say YES before they hang up.

No conference will issue an invite unless the answer is yes already. AD Dave is just being political, but he knows we will go to the B12 if there is an invite.

Dave’s just being diplomatic, I think it’s a done deal. Yormark wouldn’t be in Storrs if it wasn’t. This makes the Big 12 the dominant men’s basketball league by far. Three different National Champs (2021, 2022, and 2023) from the same league, not to mention having two different recent National Championship runners up in football too.

Reaction Score
Dave’s just being diplomatic, I think it’s a done deal. Yormark wouldn’t be in Storrs if it wasn’t. This makes the Big 12 the dominant men’s basketball league by far. Three different National Champs (2021, 2022, and 2023) from the same league, not to mention having two different recent National Championship runners up in football too.
I have been wondering if this is the case and have concluded it is probably 50-50. Maybe due diligence, nothing more. Maybe negotiation. Who knows? The beauty is that we are just spectators here. Good intelligent discussion, but entertainment at the end of the day. Just happy the fever might be breaking.

Reaction Score

why do we want to be a full member of B12? isn't it better to join for FB/MBB/WBB (maybe baseball), and leave the rest in BE (assuming that B12 and Big East are cool with that, which is probably a bad assumption, on the Big East side)? I knwo this arrangement isn't likely, i'm just question the why we would WANT to be full B12 - doesn't seem to amek sense to spend the money on other programs if we can keep them closer to local opponents & reduce spending.

Reaction Score
why do we want to be a full member of B12? isn't it better to join for FB/MBB/WBB (maybe baseball), and leave the rest in BE (assuming that B12 and Big East are cool with that, which is probably a bad assumption, on the Big East side)? I know this arrangement isn't likely, i'm just question the why we would WANT to be full B12 - doesn't seem to amek sense to spend the money on other programs if we can keep them closer to local opponents & reduce spending.
Doubtful the BE would accept that.

Reaction Score
I have been wondering if this is the case and have concluded it is probably 50-50. Maybe due diligence, nothing more. Maybe negotiation. Who knows? The beauty is that we are just spectators here. Good intelligent discussion, but entertainment at the end of the day. Just happy the fever might be breaking.
I hear you, but my take is the Big 12 Commissioner doesn’t fly to Bradley and then take a long drive to Storrs just to meet Geno.

Reaction Score
I hear you, but my take is the Big 12 Commissioner doesn’t fly to Bradley and then take a long drive to Storrs just to meet Geno.
I would like to know what he thought of Werth and Burton. I hope he was impressed. I get so tired of fans of other schools and even YouTube show hosts talking like UConn has nothing.

Reaction Score
Russell Steinberg, who had the tweet about Yormark's visit, said on the podcast that the person he spoke with (sounded like someone in the Big 12) made it clear that nothing was imminent, no invitation was extended, there was no plan for an invitation in the immediate future. His source used the word “exploratory”.

Reaction Score
Russell Steinberg, who had the tweet about Yormark's visit, said on the podcast that the person he spoke with (sounded like someone in the Big 12) made it clear that nothing was imminent, no invitation was extended, there was no plan for an invitation in the immediate future. His source used the word “exploratory”.
God help us if he visited the Rent!

Reaction Score
Potentially tough decision coming up, and not only for UConn.

Maybe the Big12 openly having discussions with UConn will lead to the B1G and ACC reconsidering whatever strategies lead them to pick the ne'er do wells they chose in the previous rounds of this insanity. Have BCU or Syracuse brought any real value, of any kind, to the ACC? Rutgers or Maryland to the B1G?

Whatever their goals were, it's hard to believe they've been met. Money maybe, but there are only a few championships in major sports on their resumes, especially football, and without championships the brands will die.

In the last 25 years the B1G has won one MBB title and two in football (Maryland wasn't a member of the B1G when they won in MBB).

In the 25 years of the BCS era Clemson and FSU each have as many as the B1G. Two each. And the B1G's two are both by OSU. How does that record continue to draw major media money? The B1G features itself as the equal of the SEC but with 15 titles, the SEC owns football. If the B1G believes they're adding potential champions in UCLA and USC, they should think again. USC can claim two titles in the past 25 years but their 2004 title was vacated. UCLA has none.

Have their products on the fields or courts improved as a result of bloating their conferences with the ne'er do wells?

If they do an honest assessment, they'll realize UConn has all they need (once football is fully revived). The NE market, including NY and NJ. Championship teams in multiple sports, other than football. That diversity of success should be all the University Presidents need to make the right choice.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Potentially tough decision coming up, and not only for UConn.

Maybe the Big12 openly having discussions with UConn will lead to the B1G and ACC reconsidering whatever strategies lead them to pick the ne'er do wells they chose in the previous rounds of this insanity. Have BCU or Syracuse brought any real value, of any kind, to the ACC? Rutgers or Maryland to the B1G?

Whatever their goals were, it's hard to believe they've been met. Money maybe, but there are only a few championships in major sports on their resumes, especially football, and without championships the brands will die.

In the last 25 years the B1G has won one MBB title and two in football (Maryland wasn't a member of the B1G when they won in MBB).

In the 25 years of the BCS era Clemson and FSU each have as many as the B1G. Two each. And the B1G's two are both by OSU. How does that record continue to draw major media money? The B1G features itself as the equal of the SEC but with 15 titles, the SEC owns football. If the B1G believes they're adding potential champions in UCLA and USC, they should think again. USC can claim two titles in the past 25 years but their 2004 title was vacated. UCLA has none.

Have their products on the fields or courts improved as a result of bloating their conferences with the ne'er do wells?

If they do an honest assessment, they'll realize UConn has all they need (once football is fully revived). The NE market, including NY and NJ. Championship teams in multiple sports, other than football. That diversity of success should be all the University Presidents need to make the right choice.
Broadcast contracts aren't based on championships. If they were, Rutgers would be in the MAC right now.

Reaction Score
Broadcast contracts aren't based on championships. If they were, Rutgers would be in the MAC right now.
Correct. Broadcasting rights will be based on eyeballs watching your brand that translates to advertising dollars. Championships can enhance your brand, and make it much more appealing and interesting to viewers.

Shohei Ohtani might get more than $600M MLB contract ( highest in history for a pro athlete in all the pro sports fyi) not only because he is once in the lifetime talent, and he always draw eyeballs worldwide and advertisers no matter where he is playing. If he is just a huge talent, he night get only north of Trout money. Since he also attracts a ton of eyeballs, he will get far more and deservedly so.

Reaction Score
Correct. Broadcasting rights will be based on eyeballs watching your brand that translates to advertising dollars. Championships can enhance your brand, and make it much more appealing and interesting to viewers.

Shohei Ohtani might get more than $600M MLB contract ( highest in history for a pro athlete in all the pro sports fyi) not only because he is once in the lifetime talent, and he always draw eyeballs worldwide and advertisers no matter where he is playing. If he is just a huge talent, he night get only north of Trout money. Since he also attracts a ton of eyeballs, he will get far more and deservedly so.
He is also a model citizen and workaholic.

Reaction Score
He is also a model citizen and workaholic.
Yes, that's true too. On top of that, he is also godly good looking, a great teammate, and beyond talented so that helps with marketing and advertisers as well. He already makes way more than any other MLB player in his endorsement money (estimated $40M per year) as well. Basically, he is his own brand no matter what team he will end up on. This is kind of crazy that he is worth as much as one B1G team in media money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom