Disappointed in Kim | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Disappointed in Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anybody remember Tennessee beating Baylor in the 2004 NCAAs? I do. Score tied, and refs called a tough foul on Baylor with 0.2 seconds left. TN wins with free throws. Mulkey's reaction? AP Article:

Baylor coach Kim Mulkey-Robertson was definitely upset. She alternated between being somber and angry at the postgame news conference.

"I don't like to see basketball games end like you all just saw," Mulkey-Robertson said. "I don't think Pat Summitt does either. Didn't she say that?

"I think you want the kids to decide the outcome of the game." Yup, she said that.

Great Find! How can this get re-tweeted to Waco, Baylor, Kim, LeBron, ESPN . . . :)

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Which it didn't. It was just a text message. Drama I guess.

I'll be honest, I'm baffled that the OP finds it hard to dislike KM. After that classless, awful post game presser, it made her and her program look as bad as it possibly could. She should have said what Geno says, you don't win or lose at the last second, as it is usually preceded by multiple things you did right or wrong. Someone in another thread posted a dozen reasons why Baylor lost and they were spot on.

Great mind on the X and O, but classless. Bad example for her players and as a representative of Baylor University on a National stage. Pitiful in fact.

Shame on her. I hope the Baylor AD rips her a new one.
The, in some cases, fouls not called were missed normal missed fouls, mixed in were some dirty plays, coached, the Bickel arm hook, intentional.

Reaction Score
Anybody remember Tennessee beating Baylor in the 2004 NCAAs? I do. Score tied, and refs called a tough foul on Baylor with 0.2 seconds left. TN wins with free throws. Mulkey's reaction? AP Article:

Baylor coach Kim Mulkey-Robertson was definitely upset. She alternated between being somber and angry at the postgame news conference.

"I don't like to see basketball games end like you all just saw," Mulkey-Robertson said. "I don't think Pat Summitt does either. Didn't she say that?

"I think you want the kids to decide the outcome of the game." Yup, she said that.

In hockey, at least the NHL, there is an unwritten rule that the referees will not call a penalty during the last two minutes of a game unless it is an intentional or blatant foul. This is because the result means a man in the penalty box and creates a real good chance for a goal by the other team. Hockey doesn't want the game decided by the refs and basketball shouldn't either.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If a player tests positive, then is retested and the results are negative, what would the NCAA do? What is the degree of accuracy? From the Elon Musk example 50/50. You could test negative and minute later come in contact with it, maybe during the game from another player that had tested negative.
The recently completed football seasons, thousands of players, hundreds of thousands of tests, zero hospitalized.
While I would assume that most young, healthy athletes would not require hospitalization from Covid, how do we know if any of the hundreds of college football players who tested positive were hospitalized or not? That information was not publicly released by any school that I am aware of.

Reaction Score
I honestly feel for Kim. I do think she was trying her best to hold her tongue during her interview and clearly that was difficult for her. Could/should she have handled it better? Absolutely. I do recall though her making a point to say the story of the game was how we lost Didi. She’s a human, she’s going to make mistakes. She did her best to remain composed after an intense game that she lost. She’s a character, that’s why people love/hate her. It’s apart of her whole persona.
What I think the real travesty is, is the way she let her kids handle it. Going on Twitter right after the game to tweet/retweet/favorite things indicating Baylor got robbed is so unsportsmanlike. An emotional game but let’s give everyone a break, because Geno came out on top once again! And hey guess what, everyone was talking about women’s ball after that. That’s what the game needs to get some exposure. Oh well

Reaction Score
I believe the most aggrieved behavior on Kim’s part was her yelling and pressuring her trainers to hurry up and tape up that hamstring and get her player back in there.
Talk about treating an athlete like a piece of meat.
Harkens back to “North Dallas 40”

Reaction Score
I believe the most aggrieved behavior on Kim’s part was her yelling and pressuring her trainers to hurry up and tape up that hamstring and get her player back in there.
Talk about treating an athlete like a piece of meat.
Harkens back to “North Dallas 40”
Are you sure she was pressuring her trainers to get Richards back in the game?

Reaction Score
I did see a blatant foul of a Baylor player using both hands to push Paige away that wasn't called at all. I couldn't believe what I saw. I think it was either Carrington or Smith. i would have to go back and look at it, but it just goes to show what kind of game it was. if that wasn't called, you can just imagine how many others weren't called that were not seen.
Carrington push in the back

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Are you sure she was pressuring her trainers to get Richards back in the game?
If you watch the game film, shortly after Richards goes out with her injury, as UConn was going on its 19 pt run, on several occasions ESPN captured Mulkey on the sidelines looking down towards and occasionally shouting at the trainer who was taping Richards leg up to get her back in the game. Whether that constitutes pressure or just urgency is up to everyone’s opinion.

Once Richards got back into the game early in the 4th qtr, it was obvious that she was having considerable difficulty moving on the court, so Mulkey sat her down after 2+ minutes in the game.

Reaction Score
If you watch the game film, shortly after Richards goes out with her injury, as UConn was going on its 19 pt run, on several occasions ESPN captured Mulkey on the sidelines looking down towards and occasionally shouting at the trainer who was taping Richards leg up to get her back in the game. Whether that constitutes pressure or just urgency is up to everyone’s opinion.

Once Richards got back into the game early in the 4th qtr, it was obvious that she was having considerable difficulty moving on the court, so Mulkey sat her down after 2+ minutes in the game.
Yeah I saw that, but it's hard for me to make the leap that she was pressuring anyone. That's a pretty serious accusation without proof, and not one that a fan should make based on what they see on TV.

Reaction Score
Kim was not my favorite for a long time. I can't explain it other than it was nails on a chalkboard. In 2019 I watched the finals and found myself pulling for them since I didn't want ND to repeat after being heartbroken in 2018. In that game I notice she seemed softer, still rowdy but had mellowed some. I wondered then if the pain of losing her grandchild and joy at having one born after that had taken some of edge off by putting things in perspective.

I can't say I've ever really been a big fan but she isn't a bad coach at all and has one of the top 3/4 programs.

Nor my favorite person. Hearst Connecticut Media has an article in which they quote from Britney Griner's autobiography about how Mulkey demanded that Griner keep silent about her being gay. Grindr recounts how painful that was to her. So Baylor and Mulkey have no problem using Griner to win national championships, but being honest about herself and her sexuality? Absolutely forbidden. And recall how Mulkey told a big gathering after the sexual assault scandal involving Baylor football players that if anyone tells you they won't send their daughter to Baylor because they won't be safe, hit them in the face.

To say she's "not my favorite person" is a vast understatement.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yeah I saw that, but it's hard for me to make the leap that she was pressuring anyone. That's a pretty serious accusation without proof, and not one that a fan should make based on what they see on TV.
As I indicated, it’s up to everyone’s opinion. I have suggested that the circumstances of the injury (no one was near Richards when she went down) along with her obvious pain, warranted a more cautious approach to putting her back in the game.

Reaction Score
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
I saw what I saw.

Reaction Score
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
I saw what I saw.
You weren't there. You couldn't hear any of the conversations taking place. You are going to malign a coach and level pretty serious charges based on a few seconds of what you saw on a TV broadcast? Are you OK with that standard being applied to Geno?

Reaction Score
You weren't there. You couldn't hear any of the conversations taking place. You are going to malign a coach and level pretty serious charges based on a few seconds of what you saw on a TV broadcast? Are you OK with that standard being applied to Geno?
Yes I am.
If/when he displays the same conduct, I’ll call him on it also.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here’s a question. From what you were able to see during the broadcast: how Richards injury occurred, the obvious pain she was in and subsequently how she struggled to move once she came back into the game, do you believe she should have been back in the game?

Reaction Score
Here’s a question. From what you were able to see during the broadcast: how Richards injury occurred, the obvious pain she was in and subsequently how she struggled to move once she came back into the game, do you believe she should have been back in the game?
I'm not a doctor nor Baylor's trainer. This whole thing sounds like Tennessee fans who accused Geno of the same thing when Geno left Paige on the floor for two minutes after getting injured, and then put her back in the game gimpy ankle and all once Tennessee closed to within a bucket with 2 minutes left in the game. If UConn's up 20 instead of 2 in that situation, do you think Geno puts Paige back in? I don't believe Geno or Kim would intentionally risk a player's health to win a ball game. Again a very serious allegation with zero proof.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not a doctor nor Baylor's trainer. This whole thing sounds like Tennessee fans who accused Geno of the same thing when Geno left Paige on the floor for two minutes after getting injured, and then put her back in the game gimpy ankle and all once Tennessee closed to within a bucket with 2 minutes left in the game. If UConn's up 20 instead of 2 in that situation, do you think Geno puts Paige back in? I don't believe Geno or Kim would intentionally risk a player's health to win a ball game. Again a very serious allegation with zero proof.
What I was getting at was not necessarily the decision to put Richards back in the game, but simply whether or not she was effective after her injury. I think that’s pretty clear whether or not you’re a doctor or simply stayed at a Holiday Inn.

Something worth considering. UConn started their 19 point run, scoring the first basket with Richards on the floor. It was immediately after that basket that Richards blew out her hamstring pushing the ball up the court with a minute or so left in the 3rd qtr. UConn continued to close the gap with several scores in the 3rd qtr. Shortly after, Richards was being taped up on the sideline with the intention of getting back into the game.

I don’t remember if it was right at the start of the 4th qtr or within the 1st minute, Richards was back in the game. For the 2+ minutes of the 4th qtr when Richards was back in the game, UConn continued to go on their 19 pt run, expanding their lead to 9 pts. I would suggest that Baylor was at a distinct disadvantage effectively playing 4 on 5 during that time

UConn almost forced another turnover with 7 1/2 minutes left in the game, knocking the ball out of bounds. Only then did Mulkey sit Richards down for good, at which time Baylor started to fight their way back into the game.

There may be no clear answer to this question. As I said, I would have erred on the side of caution.

Reaction Score
I went back and watched the game closely. My wife and I counted two non calls against Paige, 1 on AE, 1 on CW and 2 on Liv. I also counted a UConn non foul called on DiDi and two on Carrington (counting the now infamous one....)

That's the nature of the game, period. Time to move on. Shame on the media also. Just straight up classless crap.
You missed the 2 fouls Baylor players committed against AG.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, she coached her team to be overly physical with us. She knew at several positions we had a distinct advantage and how do you counteract that? Fouling, which is cheating - she knew what was going on and could have directed her team differently - she was responsible for her teams overly aggresive physical play.

So the refs set the tone but she was responsible for the mauling. I didn't dislike her before, now I really do. (I'm sure she cares what I think!)
She did what she should do...it was up to the refs to call fouls.

Reaction Score
I honestly feel for Kim. I do think she was trying her best to hold her tongue during her interview and clearly that was difficult for her. Could/should she have handled it better? Absolutely. I do recall though her making a point to say the story of the game was how we lost Didi. She’s a human, she’s going to make mistakes. She did her best to remain composed after an intense game that she lost. She’s a character, that’s why people love/hate her. It’s apart of her whole persona.
What I think the real travesty is, is the way she let her kids handle it. Going on Twitter right after the game to tweet/retweet/favorite things indicating Baylor got robbed is so unsportsmanlike. An emotional game but let’s give everyone a break, because Geno came out on top once again! And hey guess what, everyone was talking about women’s ball after that. That’s what the game needs to get some exposure. Oh well

What about giving credit to your opponent? Certainly it is a matter of bad sportsmanship, poor leadership, bad/wrong model for her team and a lost teaching opportunity.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

I said to my wife, when Richards pulled up lame, that she popped a hammy. On the slow mo replay, you could see just a slight movement of the hamstring. I knew there was no way she could continue.

When Richards went back in, I knew she couldn't continue. She was limping up the court.

I have pulled my hamstrings more than once. You don't just bind it up and continue. It hurts a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psttc

Top Bottom