Disappointed in Kim | The Boneyard

Disappointed in Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kim was not my favorite for a long time. I can't explain it other than it was nails on a chalkboard. In 2019 I watched the finals and found myself pulling for them since I didn't want ND to repeat after being heartbroken in 2018. In that game I notice she seemed softer, still rowdy but had mellowed some. I wondered then if the pain of losing her grandchild and joy at having one born after that had taken some of edge off by putting things in perspective.

I can't say I've ever really been a big fan but she isn't a bad coach at all and has one of the top 3/4 programs.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No or very subdued screaming, no tantrums, no throwing off her coat.
She's getting harder and harder to dislike.
Hard to be a fan after her classless, sore loser post game presser. What she should have said was:

"While I'm disappointed we didn't get that obvious foul call at the end, I acknowledge that we beat the snot out of UCONN the entire game, physically, with elbows, hip checks, over the back blocks, wrestling take downs, and and almost none of it was called. I'm not happy about the last call, but I understand"...

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Hard to be a fan after her classless, sore loser post game presser. What she should have said was:

"While I'm disappointed we didn't get that obvious foul call at the end, I acknowledge that we beat the snot out of UCONN the entire game, physically, with elbows, hip checks, over the back blocks, wrestling take downs, and and almost none of it was called. I'm not happy about the last call, but I understand"...
That's the beauty of living in America ... we can dream!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
At the end of the day, she coached her team to be overly physical with us. She knew at several positions we had a distinct advantage and how do you counteract that? Fouling, which is cheating - she knew what was going on and could have directed her team differently - she was responsible for her teams overly aggresive physical play.

So the refs set the tone but she was responsible for the mauling. I didn't dislike her before, now I really do. (I'm sure she cares what I think!)

Reaction Score
I had a chance to meet and Kim in a 3 day tournament in the Bahamas when Griner was there. When we spoke in the gym she was plastic and aloof. Sat in the stands by herself. Didn't walk around and talk to the visitors. People could talk and take pics with Dawn, Muffet and her husband and with Ann Donavon , Coale. When I passed her the next day wear Huskie gear she like avoided like I had the plague.

Reaction Score
Always curious how the Baylor fans regarded KIm. Suspect very positively due to her recruiting but have always thought showing emotion was good for players, not coach. Ranting on sideline to making excuses after game not a good look.

Reaction Score

Simply love the heck out of this post!!!

Reaction Score
I don't think they should do any of these interviews for at least an hour after the games. Let everyone cool down first. Doesn't seem fair to shove a camera and microphone in front of people ten minutes after they walk off the court. Everyone has said things they would take back if given a little more time and space to think before speaking.

Reaction Score
Did you see Brenda F (who I hate) after her loss to Texas. I really thought Maryland was going to win this thing...so did she, and they could have...just a bad night. But she sat in that press conference with a blank stare which I thought she was thinking "let me get out of here so I can cry"......but she answered every question with patience and class. No excuses, no whining...although her pain was so deep and evident on her face. My views changed about her after seeing her class. Mulkey could take some lessons from her!!! Mulkey could use half her integrity!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have no problem with her press conference - it is what it is and losing a tough game and losing a player in the game takes a toll on your state of mind.

I do think she is a good coach, and an excellent recruiter, but I think her emotions in-game can be detrimental for her team - she seems to forget Xs and Os at times or even coaching 101 of calling a TO when a team is making a massive run. Her emotional energy can sometime rally her team, but it can also send them into a frenzy with bad results. I also think her development of players is spotty - she makes sure they do the things that the team needs to win games, but doesn't seem to help develop their individual games so they become truly better basketball players - Griner grew older and stronger at Baylor, but I don't think her basketball knowledge or her skills really expanded as an example.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Or perhaps...

“It sure looked like there was a lot of contact me on the second to the last play of the game, but you know what? As a team, you don’t want to be put in that position, don’t end up being down by two at the end of the game. I think the loss of Didi stunned us. She has been such a good teammate and has had such a hard journey this season that losing her took the wind out of our sails for a bit. We battled our way back eventually against a very good Connecticut team, but just fell a bit short. Certainly, I believe that there was enough there for the refs to make a different decision on that play, but in the end the decision they made is the decision they made and it in no way lessons what has been a great season for this team and these wonderful girls.“

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When it comes down to you or them going home, the choice is ALWAYS an easy one. :cool:

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Always curious how the Baylor fans regarded KIm. Suspect very positively due to her recruiting but have always thought showing emotion was good for players, not coach. Ranting on sideline to making excuses after game not a good look.
As a Baylor fan and past player of the game (not at Baylor), there is a lot of respect for Kim. Kim's faults are based off the love of the game and her team. She speaks her mind, which is not good at times, but usually based on protecting her team. Most people that dislike her, have not bothered to get to understand or know her. She's smart, passionate, a great coach, and her team loves her (which says a lot about a coach). Geno respects her, which should say a lot to Husky fans. When you're on the top, everyone wants to pick you apart. Most top coaches are attacked by media and fans, however, she seems to get more due to her expressions. Kim's emotions do not make her a bad coach or a bad person. She loves the game just like we all do. I believe that once she looks at film of the game, she will realize that the game was called fairly and the last play was not the difference in the game. I believe her press conference was emotional due to Didi -

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
No or very subdued screaming, no tantrums, no throwing off her coat.
She's getting harder and harder to dislike.
I find it very easy to dislike Kim "knock them right in the face" Mulkey.

Her complaining about a missed call after drawing up no discernible play with the game on the line only makes it easier.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Or perhaps...

“It sure looked like there was a lot of contact me on the second to the last play of the game, but you know what? As a team, you don’t want to be put in that position, don’t end up being down by two at the end of the game. I think the loss of Didi stunned us. She has been such a good teammate and has had such a hard journey this season that losing her took the wind out of our sails for a bit. We battled our way back eventually against a very good Connecticut team, but just fell a bit short. Certainly, I believe that there was enough there for the refs to make a different decision on that play, but in the end the decision they made is the decision they made and it in no way lessons what has been a great season for this team and these wonderful girls.“
Your answer was far more PC. Mine was obviously dripping with sarcasm LOL!!!

But yeah, I would have had a hell of a lot more respect for her had she said anything even remotely similar to what you posted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom