Disappointed in Kim | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Disappointed in Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
As a Baylor fan and past player of the game (not at Baylor), there is a lot of respect for Kim. Kim's faults are based off the love of the game and her team. She speaks her mind, which is not good at times, but usually based on protecting her team. Most people that dislike her, have not bothered to get to understand or know her. She's smart, passionate, a great coach, and her team loves her (which says a lot about a coach). Geno respects her, which should say a lot to Husky fans. When you're on the top, everyone wants to pick you apart. Most top coaches are attacked by media and fans, however, she seems to get more due to her expressions. Kim's emotions do not make her a bad coach or a bad person. She loves the game just like we all do. I believe that once she looks at film of the game, she will realize that the game was called fairly and the last play was not the difference in the game. I believe her press conference was emotional due to Didi -

That's so important. The coaches, no matter their public personae, are human beings. There are things I don't like about Kim and Brenda. But seeing Kim after Makenzie lost her baby -- you could just see the pain and realize how much she loves her family. Same with Brenda when her son was diagnosed with cancer.

I try to think about all the players and coaches as people before badmouthing them. I don't always succeed, but I'm fallible just like the players and coaches.

I was also disappointed that Kim didn't toss her coat. That's one of the best signature moves in all of sports. Along with CD getting between Geno and the officials.

Reaction Score
Anybody remember Tennessee beating Baylor in the 2004 NCAAs? I do. Score tied, and refs called a tough foul on Baylor with 0.2 seconds left. TN wins with free throws. Mulkey's reaction? AP Article:

Baylor coach Kim Mulkey-Robertson was definitely upset. She alternated between being somber and angry at the postgame news conference.

"I don't like to see basketball games end like you all just saw," Mulkey-Robertson said. "I don't think Pat Summitt does either. Didn't she say that?

"I think you want the kids to decide the outcome of the game." Yup, she said that.

Reaction Score
I did see a blatant foul of a Baylor player using both hands to push Paige away that wasn't called at all. I couldn't believe what I saw. I think it was either Carrington or Smith. i would have to go back and look at it, but it just goes to show what kind of game it was. if that wasn't called, you can just imagine how many others weren't called that were not seen.

Reaction Score
As a Baylor fan and past player of the game (not at Baylor), there is a lot of respect for Kim. Kim's faults are based off the love of the game and her team. She speaks her mind, which is not good at times, but usually based on protecting her team. Most people that dislike her, have not bothered to get to understand or know her. She's smart, passionate, a great coach, and her team loves her (which says a lot about a coach). Geno respects her, which should say a lot to Husky fans. When you're on the top, everyone wants to pick you apart. Most top coaches are attacked by media and fans, however, she seems to get more due to her expressions. Kim's emotions do not make her a bad coach or a bad person. She loves the game just like we all do. I believe that once she looks at film of the game, she will realize that the game was called fairly and the last play was not the difference in the game. I believe her press conference was emotional due to Didi -
There's not a lot of respect around here for her childish display in the post game interview! And her player who posted nonsense online seems to have learned well from her coach about being a poor loser!
As others here have said, she got exactly the type of physical game with the refs not calling fouls often she wanted until the end!

Reaction Score
Anybody remember Tennessee beating Baylor in the 2004 NCAAs? I do. Score tied, and refs called a tough foul on Baylor with 0.2 seconds left. TN wins with free throws. Mulkey's reaction? AP Article:

Baylor coach Kim Mulkey-Robertson was definitely upset. She alternated between being somber and angry at the postgame news conference.

"I don't like to see basketball games end like you all just saw," Mulkey-Robertson said. "I don't think Pat Summitt does either. Didn't she say that?

"I think you want the kids to decide the outcome of the game." Yup, she said that.

Great post!

Reaction Score
It's basketball and part of the game. It's the competitor in her and when someone acts like that you just laugh it off. It was their right to be disappointed about the outcome. Like it was Genos and UConn right to celebrate.

On another topic. Nobody here has the right to bring up the personal lives of these coaches. Grow up to the people who brought that up!

Reaction Score
I don't think they should do any of these interviews for at least an hour after the games. Let everyone cool down first. Doesn't seem fair to shove a camera and microphone in front of people ten minutes after they walk off the court. Everyone has said things they would take back if given a little more time and space to think before speaking.

Press people have stories to write and post, and already on tight deadlines for night games. And folks want to see the press conferences after games — I know I’ve often consumed them after big events.

and yes those things are important. News and media are helping to generate interest in the sport and tv ratings.

Reaction Score

Oh the irony...

Reaction Score
Why after 4 years can't Didi Richards hit a jump shot? Extremely athletic, incredibly talented, but she can't shoot. Don't want this to be Aubrey as a senior.
IDK. I believe that their former point guard, Niya Johnson, who was great at assists, had problems hitting jump shots. However, there are professional players that can’t hit jump shots. See Dwight Howard...after how many years in the league? Didn’t he work with The Dream for awhile? Sheeesh!

Reaction Score
I did see a blatant foul of a Baylor player using both hands to push Paige away that wasn't called at all. I couldn't believe what I saw. I think it was either Carrington or Smith. i would have to go back and look at it, but it just goes to show what kind of game it was. if that wasn't called, you can just imagine how many others weren't called that were not seen.
You don’t have to imagine. Just watch the replay. If the refs called only the obvious fouls, UConn wins easily. Paige probably gets 10 more foul shots.

Reaction Score
Schadenfreude is not a term that appears in this forum but watching Kim squirm during the post game press conference while balancing excuses as her mask danced on her face sure allowed me to smile.
Schadenfreude actually appears in this forum quite frequently. In fact I was accused of it here yesterday (clearly in error, of course :D:D )

Reaction Score
And how can a two-handed shove not be flagrant?

Reaction Score
Why would she even care at that point about COVID testing? She is going home.
I think she is going to stay and root for Arizona. Maybe take pictures of ANY and ALL fouls UCONN might get in their favor, sans any being taken of the other team. What a role model for her team!

Reaction Score
Bringing out the smartphone in the presser & referencing a pic & video was a new touch for Mulkey & good theatre. But, I too was disappointed that she didnt throw her jacket at the end of the game!
Which it didn't. It was just a text message. Drama I guess.

I'll be honest, I'm baffled that the OP finds it hard to dislike KM. After that classless, awful post game presser, it made her and her program look as bad as it possibly could. She should have said what Geno says, you don't win or lose at the last second, as it is usually preceded by multiple things you did right or wrong. Someone in another thread posted a dozen reasons why Baylor lost and they were spot on.

Great mind on the X and O, but classless. Bad example for her players and as a representative of Baylor University on a National stage. Pitiful in fact.

Shame on her. I hope the Baylor AD rips her a new one.

Reaction Score
I went back and watched the game closely. My wife and I counted two non calls against Paige, 1 on AE, 1 on CW and 2 on Liv. I also counted a UConn non foul called on DiDi and two on Carrington (counting the now infamous one....)

That's the nature of the game, period. Time to move on. Shame on the media also. Just straight up classless crap.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I greatly enjoy Kim.

though I didn’t watch her press conference, anyone expecting her to not be upset about the outcome does not live in the real world

Way apples and oranges. Understand she was upset, who wouldn't be? No fault on her being upset.

Certainly not, in any way, an excuse to act and say the things she did. ZERO excuse. LEADERS and MENTORS don't act that way, period.

Reaction Score
Kim calling for no further COVID testing at both Men's and Women's FF didn't move the dislike needle for you?

I found her comments on COVID testing way more upsetting than the false bravado about foul calls.
Geno defends Kim, says her post-game COVID comments are the result of their conversation before the game regarding an NCAA report to the coaches that additional positive tests are unlikely....

You can hear Geno's remarks near the beginning of his 3/31 pre-FF presser...

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here Geno is likely standing up for a friend and frankly Kim does not deserve it. What she said was indefensible, bitter & self serving.

Reaction Score
Just watched the end again. Neither announcer said anything about a foul when the play happened, nor did Carrington put up a protest when it happened but just sat on floor, nor did Kim Mulkey make a protest when it happened ( 10 seconds later she yelled at ref). “Defenders straight up” said Lobo when first replay showed on the screen. After third replay, the male announcer said “ it wasn’t incredibly obvious” about possible foul.
So, why would refs call a foul that is hard to see in real-time, when none of the announcers saw one when the play happened, nor did any of the players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom