director of player engagement | Page 4 | The Boneyard

director of player engagement

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
He shouldn't have the job if that's what he plans.

Did you actually just write read the article? Here is the quote that is being referred to:
We're going to make sure they understand that should be in the center of our huddle, that that's something that is important. If you want to be successful and you want to win, get championships then you better understand that this didn't happen because of you. This happened because of our Lord and Savior.

While his lead in is non-denominational and I completely agree that being spiritual is much more than believing in a specific God..he blows that up completely in the above QUOTE.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
So, no Jews or Muslims. Got it.

Mr. Mets,I know I'm in the minority because I happen to live in this stoic blue state that taxes the poop out of us, but unlike you, I hope the message isn't toned down or tweaked. We market to "red states, blue states, pink states and states of insanity, I want players at the Rent that are big, fast mean tough m. and I want their families coming here knowing they are in a good place . Whatever it takes!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Very well said.

I understood the Petrino (and Pitino) reference! That wasn't the issue. The issue I have is the idea that if someone doesn't like a dose of Christianity with their football that they can hit the road. Are you serious with this?

Well, whether you are or aren't, I hope that the coaching staff is wise enough to "tailor" the doses of Christianity to our players, so as not to alienate. And quite frankly, it shouldn't be that much to ask for. Smart businesses don't alienate talent with specific religious policies, so I hope that we are mindful of that as we move forward. Again, like I said, if it is the simple "God keep us safe" stuff and nobody is offended, fantastic! But we are a state school, and we need to remember that we are a state school. With all due respect, there is no room at UConn for statements like "they can choose to go elsewhere" if they don't like the religion angle...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Jesus in the huddle? Sorry, but if it was Moses or Mohammed or Buddha in the huddle, there would be more than a few raised eye-brows. On top of that, this is a state university. There can be no pretense of the football program espousing the ideas of a particular religion. The players and coaches can do whatever they'd like with their non-fb time,but sorry coach, you are way off base when it comes to you promoting it in the huddle or the locker room. It isn't just atheists who would be offended. Confusing spirituality with a particular religion or any religion at all isn't all that unusual, but he has to have the law laid down to him about what lines can't be crossed, and if our new HC is supporting the idea, he needs a talking to as well. You can promote character and public spiritedness without bringing anything identified with particular religious beliefs or deity beliefs into the picture.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I just prayed to God that we actually get some real football news soon so this thread goes away.

It's a non-issue.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
OP started the thread to make it a point of contention and folks who want to stir the pot and make it an issue will. I'll agree he would have been better served and would not become the target he seems to be becoming if he left out the reference to a specific name.

I still say it will less of an issue with the team as a whole than the people who are parsing the words here.

Parsing words and understanding exactly what someone has said and taking them at their word is not the same thing. People do not have to put up with someone else's ardor when they show an intent to cross lines that they shouldn't.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Uh, I thought the posts were typical knee jerks liberalism but this quote seems a bit much to me.

We're going to make sure they understand that should be in the center of our huddle, that that's something that is important. If you want to be successful and you want to win, get championships then you better understand that this didn't happen because of you. This happened because of our Lord and Savior.

Reaction Score
That's the other thing I was going to say... UConn is supposed to be an institution of higher learning that carries intellectual standards. What you say is expected to be backed by some kind of evidence or at least logic. UConn is huge on research and the application of the scientific model. Such deep, blind profession of devotion in faith in fairy tales just does not belong in the kind of intellectual environment that UConn surely looks to foster.

That's not the problem. I would defend his right to think Jesus is in the huddle. I'm talking about how the school teaches students to negotiate multiple views, context and frames of belief through any number of disciplines. I could think of how this might play out in Law courses, Government, Poli Sci, Literature, etc. There are likely a great many Christian scientists at UConn who have no problem being both Christians and Scientists, without however insisting that is central to what happens in their classroom.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Uh, I thought the posts were typical knee jerks liberalism but this quote seems a bit much to me.

May I just remind you that conservatives knee-jerk just as much as liberals! (And I'm so liberal that I hate the Dems too) ;)

But the quote that you referenced is indeed the "cause of concern" here, politics aside...

temery

What?
Reaction Score

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I understood the Petrino (and Pitino) reference! That wasn't the issue. The issue I have is the idea that if someone doesn't like a dose of Christianity with their football that they can hit the road. Are you serious with this?
If you don't like prayers to Jesus every game, you can GIT OUT

41569_240728170960_3245457_n.jpg

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If you don't like prayers to Jesus every game, you can GIT OUT

41569_240728170960_3245457_n.jpg

Yeah, that's the answer... :confused:

EDIT: Just in case it wasn't clear, I knew you were kidding

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
In fairness some of these recruits (a lot of them, actually) come from terrible backgrounds and often times college football is their first real regimented schedule/disciplinary model. Some/a lot come to schools (not just UConn) with no true role model and religion, whatever religion it may be, can often help in the development from the boy to a man. You see it a lot after games where both teams will gather for a prayer and some players partake, others don't.

I've been inspired by people who are adamant about their faith even though I may not agree with it. Grew up with a good friend who was a practicing Jew. Him taking his faith seriously inspired me to take my own religious beliefs more seriously even though I'm a Roman Catholic. If the kids can sign up to hear one side of it be preached in a classroom why is it awful that they hear the other side of it? I do agree that the above quote about JC always being first in the huddle is extreme but if our players are exposed to one of the many religions out there I don't think that's a bad thing. Tolerance goes both ways, it's something people in our country often forget.

Reaction Score
on 2...ready, break!!

People just need to relax. There will be no bible study's in the huddle or in the locker room. When they remove "In God We Trust" off of our currency, then we can debate which airline or train we need to get on to leave the country. From no pledge of allegiance to no mention of Christmas in schools, the change on our paper money is right around the corner. Sad really....

In the mean time, hope everyone had a Merry Xmas and a Happy Hanukkah last year. Ooop...was that wrong? :rolleyes:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I want in the huddle.

I believe he brings an exciting brand of football with him - I feel as if he might be more of a vertical-type as opposed to a more conventional ground-game type, like, say, Moses.

But if he doesn't get it done, I say we go with the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Great at ND not so much at UCONN. By the way, I played 11 years of football including 2 in college and made it out an atheist.
....and to think how impressed we all are, to hear from you now! LOL
Look, before I judge, lets see how this plays out. Whether you can be an atheist, agnostic, christian, or other, will not be what keeps you from joining the team it is whether you are able to carry someone else who has done their best, but is no longer able.
...And I don't have the answer to the following question but would like to know, what percentage of football players are religious versus atheist? "IF" there is a higher percentage of religious players versus non, perhaps, he is trying to let players know that UConn will allow them to not only belong but to promote their faith in a way that is good for themselves, for the team, and for the community. How would that be bad?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
"If you want to be successful and you want to win, get championships then you better understand that this didn't happen because of you. This happened because of our Lord and Savior."

Guess if I don't believe in "our lord and savior" I"m not going to win or get championships. Well, there goes my motivation....

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
....and to think how impressed we all are, to hear from you now! LOL
Look, before I judge, lets see how this plays out. Whether you can be an atheist, agnostic, christian, or other, will not be what keeps you from joining the team it is whether you are able to carry someone else who has done their best, but is no longer able.
...And I don't have the answer to the following question but would like to know, what percentage of football players are religious versus atheist? "IF" there is a higher percentage of religious players versus non, perhaps, he is trying to let players know that UConn will allow them to not only belong but to promote their faith in a way that is good for themselves, for the team, and for the community. How would that be bad?

I love the idea of a director of player engagement. I love a program designed to make our players better human beings. I love the idea of everyone being able to believe in whatever higher power gives them peace. However, I'm fearful of fervently religious people. I find them to be the most judgmental divisive people I know in most cases. Someone trying to impose on me when I was a college athlete would have been off putting and made me feel marginalized. Quite frankly, it happened and was unpleasant.

To your comment regarding how impressed you were to hear from me; why don't you put me on ignore so you won't have to worry about it. Until then, go eat a bowl of dicks

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"If you want to be successful and you want to win, get championships then you better understand that this didn't happen because of you. This happened because of our Lord and Savior."

Guess if I don't believe in "our lord and savior" I"m not going to win or get championships. Well, there goes my motivation....

Be careful - You won't end up head coach of a D1 basketball team either ;)

You’ve often talked about life being a journey. You became a head coach sooner than expected. What made it happen so soon?

I know God had a big part in it. Coach Calhoun falling off of a bike and breaking his hip gave him an opportunity to reflect and step away. I think he came to the resolution that this was the best time for him to step down and that I could be the person, with the collective staff, to be a replacement going forward and we could keep this program to the level where he would be satisfied. God already had it orchestrated.

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2013/10/straight-talk-from-kevin-ollie/

So... KO's statement begs the question - Did God make Coach Calhoun take a schitter off his bike? :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love the idea of a director of player engagement. I love a program designed to make our players better human beings. I love the idea of everyone being able to believe in whatever higher power gives them peace. However, I'm fearful of fervently religious people. I find them to be the most judgmental divisive people I know in most cases. Someone trying to impose on me when I was a college athlete would have been off putting and made me feel marginalized. Quite frankly, it happened and was unpleasant.

To your comment regarding how impressed you were to hear from me; why don't you put me on ignore so you won't have to worry about it. Until then, go eat a bowl of dicks

Reaction Score
it was meant as a joke...lighten up! I don't mind hearing from you and quite frankly I was not trying to be offensive...Believe me you'll know when I am being offensive...I don't mix words...as for your comment regarding the bowl...I'll just assume it was an over-reaction on your part...and understand I am not being judgmental, but if so please clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom