director of player engagement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

director of player engagement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
See the difference? If a player says "My Lord Jesus" "Allah" or "The Flying Spaghetti Monster", that is an individual choice by the player. But when a coach says they are going to bring a specific deity into the locker room? Much different.

OP started the thread to make it a point of contention and folks who want to stir the pot and make it an issue will. I'll agree he would have been better served and would not become the target he seems to be becoming if he left out the reference to a specific name.

I still say it will less of an issue with the team as a whole than the people who are parsing the words here.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
How many smiley faces do I need to place Dan? :eek: My point is players (recruits) will know EXACTLY what the religious/spiritual atmosphere is and if it does not suit them, they will find a place that does.

I wouldn't get too worked up...we ain't going to be ND or BCU anytime soon. It will be a non issue.

I require no less than SIX emoticons! It's best when they work together to yield a theme: :(:oops::rolleyes::):D:p

As for getting worked up; I'm not. I'm just stating what my expectations are for a state university and for an inclusive environment. There are very few on the board who are more excited about this new coaching staff than I am, believe me! I am frantically scrambling for more and more info on all of these new guys, and I am chomping at the bit for signing day, Spring Game, etc. And when in doubt, I'll fall back to my original stance of "Trust in Diaco"...

Reaction Score
OP started the thread to make it a point of contention and folks who want to stir the pot and make it an issue will. I'll agree he would have been better served and would not become the target he seems to be becoming if he left out the reference to a specific name.

I still say it will less of an issue with the team as a whole than the people who are parsing the words here.

I agree.

Reaction Score
I require no less than SIX emoticons! It's best when they work together to yield a theme: :(:oops::rolleyes::):D:p

As for getting worked up; I'm not. I'm just stating what my expectations are for a state university and for an inclusive environment. There are very few on the board who are more excited about this new coaching staff than I am, believe me! I am frantically scrambling for more and more info on all of these new guys, and I am chomping at the bit for signing day, Spring Game, etc. And when in doubt, I'll fall back to my original stance of "Trust in Diaco"...

I have no doubt it will be all inclusive. Except for the Irish. (That would be me, in case you didn't know) :(:oops::rolleyes::):D:p

Reaction Score
I like the position and its intent. I think Mr Jones must realize there is a fine line to walk in a public university. JC can be in the huddle at BC or ND not so much pushed at Uconn.

WTF. Allah can be in the huddle though?

Go away. You have no idea what it means to fight for the man next to you.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Here's the non-denominational Jim Fuller version from tonight: http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/01/uconn-rb-coach-excited-about-player.html

I wonder how much of the "spiritual road" in the Courant article was paved by Des?

Well, the Fuller article confirms much of what we both thought about Jones' recruiting areas in the "Assistants" thread. It says he's got a piece of New York, Florida, and Fairfield County. Here was our joint prediction from that thread:

Patterson - NY, general Midwest (Iowa, Illinois, etc.)
Lineburg - VA mostly, southern NJ (almost exclusively Virginia)

Jones - NY, FL, GA (more southern than northern recruiting) <---
Cummings - IL, AL, FL, MI, PA, OH (very heavy in Illinois and in Alabama)
Diaco - NJ, NY, VA, MA (heavy New Jersey influence but went into Mass. a lot)
Foley - NY, MA, NH, MD, VA, Canada (he's the one that got Petrus, Delahunt, and Joseph)
Reardon - IN, MI, NE, ND, SD (Thanks, Medic!)
*Poindexter - VA, MD, NC
*Brown - FL, GA
*Wolthausen - OH, West Coast (from ASU days, etc.)

Is this a feeble attempt at talking about football instead of the subject at hand? Sure. Is it patting us on the backs for our research? Of course! But...well, that's about it... ;)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Too many act as if Jesus literally helped them win a game or a race because he wanted the others to lose. But that's another can of worms.

I always think about Ray Allen's quote when asked about that. I don't remember the exact words, but he said something to the effect of "Ridiculous. God couldn't care less if I make a jump shot"...

EDIT: He didn't say "ridiculous", he said it was "an insult"
http://deadspin.com/calling-ray-allens-shot-a-miracle-is-an-insult-to-ray-514296527

Reaction Score
Let me say this very clear. When it's time to fight, live or die, nothing matters but your brothers in arms next to you. Anything else is BS and for people that live under the freedom provided to argue.

If somebody wants to get religious, that's fine, just make sure you allow for everyone to follow their own paths, and atheists, jihadists, crusaders, whatever.... the real ones, don't violate that and respect that in others.

It's only the doubtful, the people that aren't sure, the weak.....that would bring up an argument like this.

Go away.

Reaction Score
Let me say this very clear. When it's time to fight, live or die, nothing matters but your brothers in arms next to you. Anything else is bull and for people that live under the freedom provided to argue.

If somebody wants to get religious, that's fine, just make sure you allow for everyone to follow their own paths, and atheists, jihadists, crusaders, whatever.... the real ones, don't violate that and respect that in others.

It's only the doubtful, the people that aren't sure, the weak.....that would bring up an argument like this.

Go away.

So you think jihadists should be allowed to "follow their own path"?

Reaction Score

Yup. Who has the right to tell another human being how to behave? Cultural values. Laws. Etc. Etc. It's all relative. THe security of whatever society you live in, is defined as being safe from harm. If you think "jihadists" are a threat to you, then you should perhaps focus on strengthening that which provides you security, rather than consider how you might eradicate the thought process and actions derived therefrom, that which might make you feel insecure.

Reaction Score
Yup. Who has the right to tell another human being how to behave? Cultural values. Laws. Etc. Etc. It's all relative. THe security of whatever society you live in, is defined as being safe from harm. If you think "jihadists" are a threat to you, then you should perhaps focus on strengthening that which provides you security, rather than consider how you might eradicate the thought process and actions derived therefrom, that which might make you feel insecure.

Focus on what strengthens and provides security? Like a bomb shelter, bullet proof vests and an armed security detail to follow me around? Don't forget the bomb sniffing dogs.

You've lost it.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

You should change your avatar to read Captain Oblivious.

Reaction Score
Abandon_2605fc_2546917.gif

Reaction Score
This is why people like Jonathan Martin are oddballs in football.

You have crazy, dumb, whacked out coaches not realizing they are not in the minor leagues. It shows how totally clueless and out of touch football is with the rest of the university.
Spirituality is a parent's job but also the student's job. Development? That's why they're at the university. That's what a university is. But the players don't engage with the university enough to get it, so you have to have "engagement coaches."

When people at the university read this kind of stuff, it reinforces how bizarre and alien the football program is.

Reaction Score
There is a 100% chance Warde will have a sit down with Diaco and Jones over this article.

Reaction Score
Huh?

I wonder if Saban does this?

Having players in touch with their spiritual base?

Probably does.

I'm sure there is an orientation to Bama religious belief...including saints like The Bear and Joe Namath, Satan's minions at Auburn, and the doctrine of "the process".

No less silly then wearing a scapular...burning incense, or kneeling facing Mecca.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The term jihad doesn't mean "go out and kill a lot of innocent people" although that's what is commonly believed, sadly enough. It only takes a small percentage of fringe element with evil intent to bastardize the whole population. Islam, the way it's supposed to be practiced, is actually a peaceful religion that is followed by millions of peace-loving individuals. The crazed murderers don't represent all Muslims the same way the Westboro Baptist Church doesn't represent all Baptists.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't like this at all, though I'm sure it won't be a big deal for the team. I think he means well, but that quote is pretty stupid.

I used to hate it when they forced the pledge of allegiance on the crowd because of the " one nation, under God" line in it.

So I'm sure if there are guys on the team like that, they may just tune out the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom