director of player engagement | The Boneyard

director of player engagement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It means they are not looking for selfish athletes but athletes that represent the University well. Your faith, no matter what it is, will be respected and encouraged.... even if you have no faith.
Read the article Mr. BigEast.!!!!!!!!! They are looking selfless not selfish .....
also, as the article points out, they are basically growing these guys from unwrapping a quarter pounder to using a fork and knife.....

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The meaning of team is based on believing in something greater than yourself. While there may be an atheist that plays college football I'm thinking by the time their career is over they have a different belief.

No atheists in foxholes and huddles. :)
Thanks Art...you stated it much better than I did!!!!

Reaction Score
While there may be an atheist that plays college football I'm thinking by the time their career is over they have a different belief.

No atheists in foxholes and huddles. :)

Why would you say that? Doesn't make any sense to me. Why would an atheist have a different belief after playing college football?

Reaction Score
The player engagement idea had me until the spiritual part, by the way. I think it is great to help out student athletes regarding things they might encounter. Giving spiritual guidance? Not so much.

Reaction Score
I like the position and its intent. I think Mr Jones must realize there is a fine line to walk in a public university. JC can be in the huddle at BC or ND not so much pushed at Uconn.

Reaction Score
It's actually a great topic for discussion. I'd love to know if a prayer is said before they take the field. Something like "God protect these men from harm and give them the courage and strength to do their best" is not gonna cause any players to feel uncomfortable.

Desi Cullen was a very religious young man, as we learned from the loss of Jazz, but I doubt he pushed his faith on anyone. People tend to gravitate towards others with the same beliefs.

There won't be any bible thumping by any coaches. But a discussion about spirituality and a power greater than themselves would be beneficial IMHO.

I think it's pretty hard to try and be an elite football player without believing that others, human or not, are needed to excel.

Down south, isn't their motto "Faith, family and football?"

Reaction Score
It's actually a great topic for discussion. I'd love to know if a prayer is said before they take the field. Something like "God protect these men from harm and give them the courage and strength to do their best" is not gonna cause any players to feel uncomfortable.

I think it's pretty hard to try and be an elite football player without believing that others, human or not, are needed to excel.

Down south, isn't their motto "Faith, family and football?"

On the first point, I don't think that would make anyone feel uncomfortable. I think the moment before the game, players are focused on other things that being offended by the mention of God.

You are losing me on the second one. What does that statement have to do with believing in a higher power.

Bottom line is that no coach should be talking to players about spirituality unless a player asks. You want to push a specific religion on a player? Go to a private religious school.

Everything else about that position looks fantastic. I like the mention of focus on career after the game as well as reaching out to former players.

Reaction Score
It means they are not looking for selfish athletes but athletes that represent the University well. Your faith, no matter what it is, will be respected and encouraged.... even if you have no faith.
Read the article Mr. BigEast.!!!!!!!!! They are looking selfless not selfish .....
also, as the article points out, they are basically growing these guys from unwrapping a quarter pounder to using a fork and knife.....
Did you actually just write read the article? Here is the quote that is being referred to:
We're going to make sure they understand that should be in the center of our huddle, that that's something that is important. If you want to be successful and you want to win, get championships then you better understand that this didn't happen because of you. This happened because of our Lord and Savior.

While his lead in is non-denominational and I completely agree that being spiritual is much more than believing in a specific God..he blows that up completely in the above QUOTE.

Reaction Score
Did you actually just write read the article? Here is the quote that is being referred to:
We're going to make sure they understand that should be in the center of our huddle, that that's something that is important. If you want to be successful and you want to win, get championships then you better understand that this didn't happen because of you. This happened because of our Lord and Savior.

While his lead in is non-denominational and I completely agree that being spiritual is much more than believing in a specific God..he blows that up completely in the above QUOTE.

Whoa. How did I miss that in the article? Yikes. Not cool at all.

Reaction Score
Though this sounds bad to a bunch of middle aged white new englanders it has a lot of pull in the homes of recruits down south. Our ball coach isn't shy about faith either

Reaction Score
JC can be in the huddle at BC or ND not so much pushed at Uconn.

When I read your comment I thought, "what does Jim Calhoun have to do with this?" Then I realized what you meant.

In seriousness, this is a disturbing move. Religion is more likely to be a source of division and exclusion than it is to be one of unity.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Totally agree. Great at ND not so much at UCONN. By the way, I played 11 years of football including 2 in college and made it out an atheist.

Reaction Score
This is a long read, but a very interesting read about religion and Clemson football.

I wouldn't worry too much about the coaches preaching. Players who are religious/spiritual will find each other. Coaches will talk about morals, character and their creator, whoever that may be.

Not to worry guys.

http://chronicle.com/article/With-God-on-Our-Side/143231/

Wow, what a bizarre read that was.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'll go one step further. It's not just about being religious versus being atheist. It's about being Christian versus non-Christian. "Jesus in the huddle"....I'm not sure that I like that type of stuff.

I'm not in the huddle, so hopefully the young men will speak up in terms of whether they feel good about this or not. And if they feel good about it, great! If not, I hope they have the courage to say so and I hope the coaching staff has the integrity to adjust accordingly...

Reaction Score
Sure this is less of an issue with the team - than with people on this board!

How many players start an interview thanking "my lord Jesus", 'the man above", my savior", etc...

Reaction Score
I'll go one step further. It's not just about being religious versus being atheist. It's about being Christian versus non-Christian. "Jesus in the huddle"....I'm not sure that I like that type of stuff.

I'm not in the huddle, so hopefully the young men will speak up in terms of whether they feel good about this or not. And if they feel good about it, great! If not, I hope they have the courage to say so and I hope the coaching staff has the integrity to adjust accordingly...

I'm pretty sure it's not kept a secret and players will know exactly what takes place. If they don't like it, they will just go to Louisville. ;)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure it's not kept a secret and players will know exactly what takes place. If they don't like it, they will just go to Louisville. ;)

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying with your reply. Are you saying that if they don't like the prayers and religious aspect, that they can go to Louisville??? I hope that's NOT what you're saying, but I'll let you re-address it...

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying with your reply. Are you saying that if they don't like the prayers and religious aspect, that they can go to Louisville??? I hope that's NOT what you're saying, but I'll let you re-address it...

Oh Danny Boy....

I was saying it will be no secret how much of a part religion/spirituality plays with the program. They can certainly choose to go elsewhere. The going to UL was a slam on Petrino. If he said a prayer with the team, lightening would strike. :cool:

Reaction Score
Sure this is less of an issue with the team - than with people on this board!

How many players start an interview thanking "my lord Jesus", 'the man above", my savior", etc...

See the difference? If a player says "My Lord Jesus" "Allah" or "The Flying Spaghetti Monster", that is an individual choice by the player. But when a coach says they are going to bring a specific deity into the locker room? Much different.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Oh Danny Boy....

I was saying it will be no secret how much of a part religion/spirituality plays with the program. They can certainly choose to go elsewhere. The going to UL was a slam on Petrino. If he said a prayer with the team, lightening would strike. :cool:

I understood the Petrino (and Pitino) reference! That wasn't the issue. The issue I have is the idea that if someone doesn't like a dose of Christianity with their football that they can hit the road. Are you serious with this?

Well, whether you are or aren't, I hope that the coaching staff is wise enough to "tailor" the doses of Christianity to our players, so as not to alienate. And quite frankly, it shouldn't be that much to ask for. Smart businesses don't alienate talent with specific religious policies, so I hope that we are mindful of that as we move forward. Again, like I said, if it is the simple "God keep us safe" stuff and nobody is offended, fantastic! But we are a state school, and we need to remember that we are a state school. With all due respect, there is no room at UConn for statements like "they can choose to go elsewhere" if they don't like the religion angle...

Reaction Score
I understood the Petrino (and Pitino) reference! That wasn't the issue. The issue I have is the idea that if someone doesn't like a dose of Christianity with their football that they can hit the road. Are you serious with this?

Well, whether you are or aren't, I hope that the coaching staff is wise enough to "tailor" the doses of Christianity to our players, so as not to alienate. And quite frankly, it shouldn't be that much to ask for. Smart businesses don't alienate talent with specific religious policies, so I hope that we are mindful of that as we move forward. Again, like I said, if it is the simple "God keep us safe" stuff and nobody is offended, fantastic! But we are a state school, and we need to remember that we are a state school. With all due respect, there is no room at UConn for statements like "they can choose to go elsewhere" if they don't like the religion angle...

How many smiley faces do I need to place Dan? :eek: My point is players (recruits) will know EXACTLY what the religious/spiritual atmosphere is and if it does not suit them, they will find a place that does.

I wouldn't get too worked up...we ain't going to be ND or BCU anytime soon. It will be a non issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom