2020 Recruiting: - Dimencio Vaughn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Dimencio Vaughn

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yep we could absolutely play Cole, Gaffney, Bouk, and Vaughn with Whaley at the 5.

I hate these tiny lineups. Isn’t Vaughn 6’5”? I’d like to get him so we can play him at the 3 some and avoid needing to start Jackson immediately. Polley may be back too. Mainly we need a perimeter defender. We have one good one on this roster, Adams.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I hate these tiny lineups. Isn’t Vaughn 6’5”? I’d like to get him so we can play him at the 3 some and avoid needing to start Jackson immediately. Polley may be back too. Mainly we need a perimeter defender. We have one good one on this roster, Adams.

I agree. 4 guard offenses are not going to work against power teams. You can use polley types. But Adams at the 4 against power conference teams is not the best idea.

Reaction Score
I agree. 4 guard offenses are not going to work against power teams.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but with their top-5 preseason hype, it will be interesting to see how Creighton does with their four-guard lineup.

Biggest difference between Creighton and almost every other team is that they are elite shooters.

the Q

Reaction Score
I'm not disagreeing with you, but with their top-5 preseason hype, it will be interesting to see how Creighton does with their four-guard lineup.

Biggest difference between Creighton and almost every other team is that they are elite shooters.

Yeah, I mean there can always be exceptions. But you better be ridiculous at pace and space because your d and rebounding are at least somewhat compromised

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I mean there can always be exceptions. But you better be ridiculous at pace and space because your d and rebounding are at least somewhat compromised

The gold standard remains those Illinois teams with Marcus Liberty, Nick Anderson and Kendall Gill. Aside from being super talented, a small team in stature shouldn’t be small from a strength perspective. You can rebound with a team of all 6’4” to 6’8” beasts who all mix it up, rebound and defend. Our guys are not that. Bouk boards very well and isn’t afraid inside. But Cole is tiny, Gaffney not yet tough.

I think our best options will come with Whaley at the 4, somebody at the 5, Bouk at the 2 not 3 with Cole or Gaffney. Then the 3 can be Jackson, a transfer like Nolley or Vaughn. Polley can swing 3-4 depending. He’s still not physical inside and I doubt his injury will make him more so.

Anyway, looks like Hurley will have some pieces to play around with.

the Q

Reaction Score
The gold standard remains those Illinois teams with Marcus Liberty, Nick Anderson and Kendall Gill. Aside from being super talented, a small team in stature shouldn’t be small from a strength perspective. You can rebound with a team of all 6’4” to 6’8” beasts who all mix it up, rebound and defend. Our guys are not that. Bouk boards very well and isn’t afraid inside. But Cole is tiny, Gaffney not yet tough.

I think our best options will come with Whaley at the 4, somebody at the 5, Bouk at the 2 not 3 with Cole or Gaffney. Then the 3 can be Jackson, a transfer like Nolley or Vaughn. Polley can swing 3-4 depending. He’s still not physical inside and I doubt his injury will make him more so.

Anyway, looks like Hurley will have some pieces to play around with.

The problem with whaley at the 4 is it hurts the spacing. Not saying it can’t work, but people need to be shooting well to create those opportunities. But defensively, yes whaley is a killer 4 and can switch into every position on the court. He’s a Swiss Army knife on defense

Reaction Score
An active, full court havoc defense, I’m comfortable with Cole, Bouk, (Vaughn/Jackson), (JAckson/Vaughn/Nolley/Polley), then Whaley.

I think whatever we give up for in size, I think we’ll make up for in intensity, speed & athleticism

Reaction Score
By far would be our best lineup despite what people on here say

There is no way to objectively say what our best lineup will be, and it’s certainly matchup-dependent. But it’s worth debating, since there is nothing else to do. I think lineups with Jackson over Gaffney would eventually be better. I expect Jackson to be an impact player by the end of the year. And I don’t think a small lineup will work against everyone.

Reaction Score
There is no way to objectively say what our best lineup will be, and it’s certainly matchup-dependent. But it’s worth debating, since there is nothing else to do. I think lineups with Jackson over Gaffney would eventually be better. I expect Jackson to be an impact player by the end of the year. And I don’t think a small lineup will work against everyone.
That could be better but is still the same general idea of playing small if Jackson is in there. That's my overall point, I want no part of extended minutes with 2 bigs on the floor

Reaction Score
By far? We haven’t even seen Andre Jackson play and Hurley said he’s going to have Bouk type impact. Pump the brakes.
You're missing the overall point of our best lineups being with Whaley at the 5

Reaction Score
By far would be our best lineup despite what people on here say
I’m not sure about that.

I think subbing Jackson for Gaffney would make more sense defensively and Gaffney will need to lead the second unit. But then again, I’m in the camp that couldn’t care less who starts.

Regardless, there should be a lot of competition for minutes instead of desperately trying to find something that works at the 3 and 4 like we were for stretches this season.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure about that.

I think subbing Jackson for Gaffney would make more sense defensively and Gaffney will need to lead the second unit. But then again, I’m in the camp that couldn’t care less who starts.

Regardless, there should be a lot of competition for minutes instead of desperately trying to find something that works at the 3 and 4 like we were for stretches this season.
Yeah I clarified it a bit later, could convince me that Jackson for Gaffney would be better. Overall point is Whaley at the 5 is ideal

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
And if either of those guys has developed a jumper, game over.

Yeah, as long as they only shoot threes. 'Cause i've learned on the BY that mid-range shots are a bad look. :p

Reaction Score
Yeah, as long as they only shoot threes. 'Cause i've learned on the BY that mid-range shots are a bad look. :p

I realize you're just messing around. But I think I'm a little too adamant about the whole "only 3s and layups" thing at times.

The philosophy I teach my kids is "if you are uncontested and in your range, shoot the rock." I suspect hurley does the same.

The key is designing your offense to get the best and most open 3 and layups you can. But if a kid like Bouk gets run off the 3 pt line and wants to shoot an 18ft jumper, go ahead. Don't need anyone second guessing their shot selection on the court.

Just got to make sure the guys know the primary goal is to get 3s and lays. Not "never shoot anything else ever"

Reaction Score
I like the idea of Springs and Whaley together on the floor. Whaley can play inside on offense where he's comfortable, but both could guard the 4 and 5 depending on matchups. Makes us really switchable on D.

And if either of those guys has developed a jumper, game over.
Tough to know what Springs will do as a freshman, but I think ultimately they’d like him to be able to stretch the floor with his jumper because he flashed that ability in HS. The offensive boards will probably be his bread and butter, which would be a nice compliment to Nolley, who was very bad on the offensive glass.

the Q

Reaction Score
Oh 100%, there’s zero debate there.

Just saw on a 538 article that Michigan state’s top lineup was top 75 in the country in average height despite having no one taller than 6-8. That sounds like hurleys general mo for the most part. Size all around since you aren’t getting the 5 star big men here...yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom