OT: - Did anyone go to uconn in the early 70's? (I am on a mission to find a lost bar) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Did anyone go to uconn in the early 70's? (I am on a mission to find a lost bar)

Reaction Score
The Bidwell actually used to be in the building where the package store down the sreet is now, at least according to my dad ('66).

He also fondly remembered the Airport place in Willi.
Love it

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It used to be called Rosals steakhouse but had a big room for larger dinner events and a bar area for music etc. That was on 195 heading north on the left just past Rt 320.
I think that’s the restaurant that later became Husky Blues among other names. It was a dance club by the time I graduated in 83 and has been empty for years.

Reaction Score
Fabulous Rhinestones, Shaboo Allstars
James Cotton recorded a live album there and was frequent performer, James Montgomery, Jonathan Edwards, Rick Derringer and Pure Prarie League played there as well. Aerosmith and The Police played there early in their careers as did Tom Petty. I saw local band Little Village multiple times as well.

I loved the place as it was an alternative to the Disco Craze. I went to a few anniversary shows at Rec park in 2007 and at Jillson Park a couple times after that. James Cotton still had it on the harp

Reaction Score
I think that’s the restaurant that later became Husky Blues among other names. It was a dance club by the time I graduated in 83 and has been empty for years.
In the shipping center across from EO Smith?

Reaction Score
Rosal's was a terrible restaurant - my family always preferred Jury's Tavern or Altna Veigh when they visited

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Mid 1980's living in West Willington, my roommates and I discovered the $.50 happy hour at the Bach Dor. Scary proposition, scary spot. According to Facebook, its still in business. And can't believe this post is on page 2 with no mention of Rapps Deli Bar!

Reaction Score
James Cotton recorded a live album there and was frequent performer, James Montgomery, Jonathan Edwards, Rick Derringer and Pure Prarie League played there as well. Aerosmith and The Police played there early in their careers as did Tom Petty. I saw local band Little Village multiple times as well.

I loved the place as it was an alternative to the Disco Craze. I went to a few anniversary shows at Rec park in 2007 and at Jillson Park a couple times after that. James Cotton still had it on the harp
You mean Shaboo Inn correct? NRBQ made it their home venue. Good days.

Reaction Score
Aztec Two Step, Lou Reed, James Cotton, Jonathan Edwards, James Montgomery, NRBQ, Elvin Bushop, Charlie Daniels - I lived at that place. Always made sure I was near an exit though - just knew it was a fire trap.
The 1 time I went there, there was a huge fight. Remember a bouncer who had been wearing a turtleneck that ended looking like it was just a collar. Don’t have any idea who was playing.

Reaction Score
My father went to Uconn in the late 60s-early 70s and he frequently talks about a bar ,that was located behind the old Kathy John's, called "The Barn". I've never been able to track this place's existence. Does anyone have any info on this place?
Chucks steakhouse opened in 1974 renovated Barn

Reaction Score
It used to be called Rosals steakhouse but had a big room for larger dinner events and a bar area for music etc. That was on 195 heading north on the left just past Rt 320.
Thumpers early 80s

Reaction Score
The 1 time I went there, there was a huge fight. Remember a bouncer who had been wearing a turtleneck that ended looking like it was just a collar. Don’t have any idea who was playing.
Lol - never saw a fight but you could high just by inhaling deeply inside. Didn't hurt that drinking age was 18

Reaction Score
I saw Bonnie Raitt at the Shaboo. Fell in love that night sitting just a few feet in front of her.
I remember when she was there but missed the show. Did she play “Blender Blues”? Don’t you know she can whip, chop or purée?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My father remembers the shaboo. He also talks about "the airport lounge" in willimantic. Can't find anything about that place either.
Probably referring to A’s also called A and I on 6 in Willi. Burned to the ground some years after I graduated in the late 60s. Was a favorite watering hole for UConn students. Mansfield was a dry town back then so Willi was a favored destination. Several drunk driving accidents a year. The other place in Willi that was pretty popular near city hall was The Rock Garden. Great bar food too and quite a good restaurant in back.

Reaction Score
Probably referring to A’s also called A and I on 6 in Willi. Burned to the ground some years after I graduated in the late 60s. Was a favorite watering hole for UConn students. Mansfield was a dry town back then so Willi was a favored destination. Several drunk driving accidents a year. The other place in Willi that was pretty popular near city hall was The Rock Garden. Great bar food too and quite a good restaurant in back.
Pretty amazing the lineage of all these places. I was doing some research for my dad, trying to find some of these lost local spots for him, and the connecticut illustrated archives has every Daily Campus issue. It's pretty crazy looking at the back issues. Rock Garden and Rapps deli were a big feature. I graduated '01 so I am learning a lot here. Thanks for all your helpful replies

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Pretty amazing the lineage of all these places. I was doing some research for my dad, trying to find some of these lost local spots for him, and the connecticut illustrated archives has every Daily Campus issue. It's pretty crazy looking at the back issues. Rock Garden and Rapps deli were a big feature. I graduated '01 so I am learning a lot here. Thanks for all your helpful replies
Look up Pollocks. Not a bar but a place rented out for off campus parties. On 195 near Willi. I think it was an old factory building. Fun times there.

Reaction Score
They served me beer when I was fourteen
Sounds about right. I got into sold out show for some act with an old stag ticket and some cash,

I was in the parking lot one night when two guys asked me for a tire iron since they said they locked their keys in car. They then broke rear window to gain entry. I never confirmed if it was really their car. Probably was but not sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom