OT: - Did anyone go to uconn in the early 70's? (I am on a mission to find a lost bar) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Did anyone go to uconn in the early 70's? (I am on a mission to find a lost bar)

Reaction Score
It used to be called Rosals steakhouse but had a big room for larger dinner events and a bar area for music etc. That was on 195 heading north on the left just past Rt 320.
Opposite side from Kathy johns

Reaction Score
Copied this from their website:
With a storied history as an actual working dairy farm and barn in the early to mid 20th century, then in 1974 the barn was converted into a restaurant called Chuck's Steak House.
Exactly. On Route 32 in the Merrow section of Mansfield. Chuck's Steak House Margarita Grill. You walk in through the silo.

Reaction Score
Pretty funny that we're talking about Kathy John's and Shaboo Inn in the same thread, as it was Kathy John's kids that were co- owners of the Shaboo and part of the Shaboo Allstars. One also had a restaurant across from Lou's on Route 32.

Reaction Score
When I say "in the woods behind Kathy John's" I don't mean it was off the parking lot or something, only that KJ's was the nearest landmark, so in near vicinity in the wilds behind, but you had to go up RT. 320 and then take the first right. My wife is sitting here and recalls the exact same location (she always remembers better than me on how to got to places). We were married in '71 (yup, 50 years), so it would have been in 1971-72, as we left for for grad school in Maine 73-74, returned and it wasn't a thing anymore. I had another year of school, and that's when we and other grad students started going to Jury's in Willington. Then we migrated to Willington Pizza after it opened and continued going there forever.

"Some say it never existed", it's pretty hard to prove a negative.

This is great evidence. You went to school the exact same years as my dad so I'm inclined to believe you on this. So true it's hard to prove that it didn't exist. My father also stressed that it wasn't directly behind Kathy John's. But in that direction I guess. That's what I understood. Oh and happy 50 years!

Reaction Score
Elvin Bishop. "Fooled around and fell in love" still one of the alltime great songs and has a crackin guitar riff half way through.

I much preferred the grittier "Travelin' Shoes" found on the LP before that one, "Let it Flow."

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I spent a lot of beer money at Rapp's in 1973-74 In a strip mall the other side of 195 from KJ's! Went out to Rosals, Chucks and Jury's but I never had any money, so mostly the package store and kegs on Thrusday nights in the dorms (we could drink at 18). Was at UConn '73 to '77.

Reaction Score
This is great evidence. You went to school the exact same years as my dad so I'm inclined to believe you on this. So true it's hard to prove that it didn't exist. My father also stressed that it wasn't directly behind Kathy John's. But in that direction I guess. That's what I understood. Oh and happy 50 years!
Connecticut Daily Campus, 12/13/1971, Page 11

"at the Barn tonight, featuring;
J.P. CRAB
DrinksReduced■DoorPrize-PlentyofFun"

"* 1 - Connecticut Digital Archivehttps://collections.ctdigitalarchive.org › download

Reaction Score
Was at UConn from '72-'74, after discharge from Uncle (Sam). Was older than most students, married, and lived off campus (Ashford). My wife and I would go a few times a year to Chuck's on Rte. 32. Great steaks with reasonably priced wine (we loved Mateus and Lancers). Campus is light years nicer than then, but the great memories persist. Went to every (then men's only) BB game in the old field house. Long before joining Big East. Big games were UMass, URI, BC, PC and Holy Cross. Tony Hanson was "the man".

Bleed National Flag Blue.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember the line dancing. Also remembered thinking "why???". I guess most others did as well. Called two steps I think. I doubt this was the place my father is remembering as his "barn bar" didn't last past the early 70s, according to memory
Yes it was two steps

Reaction Score
I spent a lot of beer money at Rapp's in 1973-74 In a strip mall the other side of 195 from KJ's! Went out to Rosals, Chucks and Jury's but I never had any money, so mostly the package store and kegs on Thrusday nights in the dorms (we could drink at 18). Was at UConn '73 to '77.
Package store deliveries right to your room

Reaction Score
Was at UConn from '72-'74, after discharge from Uncle (Sam). Was older than most students, married, and lived off campus (Ashford). My wife and I would go a few times a year to Chuck's on Rte. 32. Great steaks with reasonably priced wine (we loved Mateus and Lancers). Campus is light years nicer than then, but the great memories persist. Went to every (then men's only) BB game in the old field house. Long before joining Big East. Big games were UMass, URI, BC, PC and Holy Cross. Tony Hanson was "the man".

Bleed National Flag Blue.
Great memories. Thanks for posting this and thanks for your service.

Reaction Score
You've done it! Thank you for this. I spent hours this weekend in the daily campus archives looking for any mention. This confirms it. Neither you, Your wife, nor my father is delusional. Now, see if you can locate j.p. crab. Thanks again
if it was a Bar why would you buy tickets from the Alpine Haus. Alpine haus was a ski shop in the Pizza House plaza

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Package store deliveries right to your room
We would never decide we needed anything until about quarter of 8:00, so we drove like crazy to Villa!

Reaction Score
Saw this on eBay.

Attachments

• E79D4BE4-DD36-4627-AD03-922B6CFE3B36.jpeg
    E79D4BE4-DD36-4627-AD03-922B6CFE3B36.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 164
Reaction Score
We would never decide we needed anything until about quarter of 8:00, so we drove like crazy to Villa!
No, freshman year didn't have a car so that order was always placed in time. Sad to say they actually knew my name, dorm and room number after awhile because I always ordered the same thing.

Reaction Score
Villa Spirit Shop

$1.90 a six of bud when I arrived, $2.10 when I graduated. Some numbers just get hammered into your head if you're an engineering student. Still remember Avogadro's Number, weight of a cubic foot of water, concrete, and steel, and the price of a six pack.

Reaction Score
I graduated 75, so my time frame. Not sure but I think there was a place called the Barn on 32. Just about a mile north of the intersection of 195 and 32. There's no restaurant or anything left there now. Could be the place.
That place was pay a fee in and drinks were like a quarter around 1989. It was a country line dance place for a few years. Was empty for awhile. Probably torn down.

Reaction Score
I wish I was born a few years earlier. I only got to hit Shaboo a few times just before they closed down in 1982... Saw the Blushing Brides (excellent Stones tribute) and Joan Jett. One particular crazy weekend was Fountainhead at the ROTC hangar along with 50 or so kegs on Friday and NRBQ at Shaboo on Saturday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom