OT: - Did anyone go to uconn in the early 70's? (I am on a mission to find a lost bar) | The Boneyard

OT: Did anyone go to uconn in the early 70's? (I am on a mission to find a lost bar)

Reaction Score
My father went to Uconn in the late 60s-early 70s and he frequently talks about a bar ,that was located behind the old Kathy John's, called "The Barn". I've never been able to track this place's existence. Does anyone have any info on this place?

Reaction Score
Not the Shaboo I know which was in the woods off 195 in Mansfield. Greatest bar and music venue. Saw lots of great shows there. Then mysteriously it burnt to the ground.
I will ask. Thanks for the response

Reaction Score
There was September's East off of 32 - live music - I actually worked there but it was not behind Kathy John's. Don't remember a bar there. There was a restaurant/bar that was in an old barn, had a fire I believe - can't remember the name. Was up 44 I think.

Reaction Score
There was September's East off of 32 - live music - I actually worked there but it was not behind Kathy John's. Don't remember a bar there. There was a restaurant/bar that was in an old barn, had a fire I believe - can't remember the name. Was up 44 I think.
That's got to be it. The restaurant/bar you mentioned.

Reaction Score
Not the Shaboo I know which was in the woods off 195 in Mansfield. Greatest bar and music venue. Saw lots of great shows there. Then mysteriously it burnt to the ground.
My father remembers the shaboo. He also talks about "the airport lounge" in willimantic. Can't find anything about that place either.

Reaction Score
I graduated 75, so my time frame. Not sure but I think there was a place called the Barn on 32. Just about a mile north of the intersection of 195 and 32. There's no restaurant or anything left there now. Could be the place.

Reaction Score
Jury's Tavern - knew it would come to me.
I was so excited to bring this back to him, but he said no. That wasn't it. It was called the barn. But you sound way more sure than he does at this point. Ha

Reaction Score
Oooh this sounds promising. Update: just told this to my father and I think we have a winner. This has to be the place
I went to UConn in '68 and was in the area like forever (Lived in Mansfield Center for 30 years). We used to go to the Barn in the woods behind Kathy John's my first couple of years, but then it became defunct. A few years late we migrated to Jury's Tavern on Route 32 in South Willington, where one day a week they had an all-you-could eat spaghetti night. Being poor grad student's at that point it was a good deal. Jury's was destroyed by fire in 1982. Jury's had the silo.

Edit:
"By 1883 Hall and Co. completed a barn later occupied by Jury’s Tavern until it was destroyed by fire in 1982".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It used to be called Rosals steakhouse but had a big room for larger dinner events and a bar area for music etc. That was on 195 heading north on the left just past Rt 320.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The Bidwell was on 32. Still is I think

The Bidwell actually used to be in the building where the package store down the sreet is now, at least according to my dad ('66).

He also fondly remembered the Airport place in Willi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom