Dear lord make it stop | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dear lord make it stop

Reaction Score
Larrier 5-17, 0-4 from the arc, 4 turnovers.

If he's going pro it has to be in Finland.

I think he's been guaranteed an offer in North Korea on Rodman's squad.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think he's been guaranteed an offer in North Korea on Rodman's squad.

In North Korea they call him

스물 둘

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Regardless of the ugly offense, which is a staple, KO used to be able to hang his hat on getting guys to play hard and smart on the defensive end.

No more.

That’s particularly pertinent to my theory that he’s directly responsible and somehow can’t get through to this group of players the last few years...but not that he doesn’t know what or how to.

Whatever it is with his last few groups of guys, I can’t explain it. And I agree it’s on him, no matter what, whatever the reason.

I don’t know why, but none of our teams play anything resembling fundamental, good ball. It’s just weird, honestly.

Especially when in 2014 that was really our calling card - being a great TEAM and all the little things.

These recent iterations of UConn basketball literally are the polar opposite. If we make plays, or win games, it’s not bc we’re playing better, smarter ball. Ever.

Reaction Score
Forget offense. It sucks. We know. But our problem this year has ALWAYS been defense.

I cannot watch us play this defense anymore. Its like a CYO league game.

I also think the number 22 should be retired after this season because I want to violently vomit every time I see it on the court.

Im as optimistic a homer as you will find, but I dont care how bad you are, play with some pride.

Just finish us now.

I dont even want to play Cincinnati.

So don't wear my Larrier jersey to Bryac tomorrow?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Good news - I missed the game.
Bad news - I was with my daughter at the University of Cincinnati where she will enroll in the fall.
I have been forsaken.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
I saw Carlton played 3 minutes. Did he get hurt or was he so bad in 3 minutes that Ollie couldn't put him back in? Just wondering.

Reaction Score
I saw Carlton played 3 minutes. Did he get hurt or was he so bad in 3 minutes that Ollie couldn't put him back in? Just wondering.

Partially a product of Diarra playing well. It's sad KO didn't play him all season, he looked exactly like what we needed on the offensive end all year (of course he got in foul trouble again and has not improved one iota in this category).

It was also partially that KO can't quit Onuorah who clocked 8 minutes (8 more than he should have gotten) and went to Whaley a bit (who did a couple nice things) and some Cobb too which made 0 sense since he hasn't played meaningful minutes in forever. And the grand finale was not playing Kwintin at all despite allowing SMU getting a million offensive boards and KW being the teams best rebounder.

In other words, it was a microcosm of KO's coaching decisions & strategy the last couple seasons that are perplexing to put it mildly.

Reaction Score
Partially a product of Diarra playing well. It's sad KO didn't play him all season, he looked exactly like what we needed on the offensive end all year (of course he got in foul trouble again and has not improved one iota in this category).

It was also partially that KO can't quit Onuorah who clocked 8 minutes (8 more than he should have gotten) and went to Whaley a bit (who did a couple nice things) and some Cobb too which made 0 sense since he hasn't played meaningful minutes in forever. And the grand finale was not playing Kwintin at all despite allowing SMU getting a million offensive boards and KW being the teams best rebounder.

In other words, it was a microcosm of KO's coaching decisions & strategy the last couple seasons that are perplexing to put it mildly.
Not defending but these aren’t superstars he’s choosing from

Reaction Score
Not defending but these aren’t superstars he’s choosing from

Oh I agree we are certainly not, but I've stated that Onuorah is objectively bad and the stats bear that out. He also won't be next year so it would be nice to make sure your frontcourt isn't going to transfer out again so you have something to build off of.

Diarra, Carlton, Kwintin, and Whaley, while also having some noticeable flaws each do a couple things well and with proper coaching can be significant contributors as upperclassman.

Instead they all take turns on KO's fun game of Russian Roulette to see who will get 10-15 minutes and who will get <2 min.

Diarra/Carlton should have gotten the bulk of the 4/5 minutes this season with Whaley/Williams/Cobb as back ups. It became clear during Cobb's suspension that DO was dreadful and yet when Cobb came back KO didn't ease Cobb back into things.

In other words, I have no idea what KO is doing.

Reaction Score
Oh I agree we are certainly not, but I've stated that Onuorah is objectively bad and the stats bear that out. He also won't be next year so it would be nice to make sure your frontcourt isn't going to transfer out again so you have something to build off of.

Diarra, Carlton, Kwintin, and Whaley, while also having some noticeable flaws each do a couple things well and with proper coaching can be significant contributors as upperclassman.

Instead they all take turns on KO's fun game of Russian Roulette to see who will get 10-15 minutes and who will get <2 min.

Diarra/Carlton should have gotten the bulk of the 4/5 minutes this season with Whaley/Williams/Cobb as back ups. It became clear during Cobb's suspension that DO was dreadful and yet when Cobb came back KO didn't ease Cobb back into things.

The lack of any kind of consistency in who got minutes and what role they had was a KO staple and probably led to many of the departures last year.

We'll see what happens this year.

Fun fact: Onuorah got more minutes this year than Diarra, and had 3 times fewer points, 20% fewer rebounds, half as many blocks, and twice as many turnovers.

Reaction Score

Not exactly. SMU had 10 Offensive Rebounds and 19 Defensive while UConn had 14 Offensive and 23 Defensive.
It was 6 more three's that did them in along with more free throws by SMU.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
The lack of any kind of consistency in who got minutes and what role they had was a KO staple and probably led to many of the departures last year.

Fun fact: Onuorah got more minutes this year than Diarra, and had 3 times fewer points, 20% fewer rebounds, half as many blocks, and twice as many turnovers.

Ollie had ZERO idea on who to play in the game. Watching him from 10 feet away was eye opening. The dude hustles and was super active but he had zero feel on who to have in the game as our "big". For some reason he kept riding 1 big with Larrier at the 4 when it was never working. Never thought for a second to try a big lineup. His use of Carlton today was flat out mind boggling. He just looked outmatched in every facet.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That’s particularly pertinent to my theory that he’s directly responsible and somehow can’t get through to this group of players the last few years...but not that he doesn’t know what or how to.

Whatever it is with his last few groups of guys, I can’t explain it. And I agree it’s on him, no matter what, whatever the reason.

I don’t know why, but none of our teams play anything resembling fundamental, good ball. It’s just weird, honestly.

Especially when in 2014 that was really our calling card - being a great TEAM and all the little things.

These recent iterations of UConn basketball literally are the polar opposite. If we make plays, or win games, it’s not bc we’re playing better, smarter ball. Ever.

High level player leadership on 2014 squad.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

To be fair, BPM says DO is one of our best defenders.

But that’s really all I got. He shouldn’t be getting minutes at Whaley’s expense at the very least

QDOG5

Reaction Score

Stats like that call for a contract extension!

Reaction Score

Ha - Ollie doesn't know what he's doing....

That's where i'm at when we're all said and done and it's what I just don't get. Why Diarra, Whalley and Carlton weren't playing most of the time is something I'll never understand - especially when O really demonstrated that he clearly wasn't good enough to be here in anything other than as a small bit player - and yet he's gobbling minutes. I mean forget the ability even - it's just practical that he's not going to be here next year and isn't capable of really helping you much this year. There's no earthly reason to play him so much.

That's why I'm really dying to see a competent head coach get ahold of this group. Because while I do think we're a little soft, we are also a lot more talented than people want to admit - and my biggest problem with Ollie has been his ability to pull the absolute worst out of each of these kids. Especially if Adams is coming back next year (which it sounds like it might actually happen), then with Wilson added in - there's actually legitimate talent here - enough to at least not embarrass themselves.

There's a lot of IFS in there, but IF we get a new coach, and don't get totally demolished by transfers - I think it's going to shock people how much more even a middling coach gets out of this group of players than Ollie was able to.. and that's when it's going to settle in as to just how bad of a coach Ollie's been the last few years.

Reaction Score
Going to be another painful March. I was hoping for at least another game and a sliver of hope we might make a little showing, but even beating SMU was asking too much apparently. Terrible coach with mediocre players equals one and done.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good news - I missed the game.
Bad news - I was with my daughter at the University of Cincinnati where she will enroll in the fall.
I have been forsaken.
If this bothers you trying saying "please make it soup" until you feel better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom