OT: - Creighton gets Elite Eight rings. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Creighton gets Elite Eight rings.

Reaction Score
I can understand it on the 10th or 20th anniversary of the season or something, but I don't like it given right after. I know things happen, and someone may pass before then, but give it some time.

Reaction Score
Has anybody spent more than 30 seconds thinking about this?

Reaction Score
The only major sport that makes a big deal of finishing 8th (or worse). That is the power of Marketing in action. If it was just called the Quarter Finals, no one would care. Call it the Elite 8, now it's a thing!

I wouldn't want or wear one as a competitor, but if the next person wants to, cool with me.

It's 8th out of 350. In context it's pretty darn good. Even 16 out 350 is am accomplishment.

Poe

Reaction Score
As long as it’s a quarter of the size of UConn’s ring, to celebrate their quarter final appearance, I guess it’s ok

Reaction Score
You had to win three games in the NCAA tourney to get that far is hardly an easy task.
in the last 37 years as arguably the most successful program of that era . We have been fortune to get to 10 of them going 6-4 So 27 time we’ve come up short and we’re the best .
It’s really a rare achievement and worth remembering .,Some of our most memorable games have been losses in the elite 8 .
OT loss to Duke forming a lifelong hatred . I will take that game to my grave .
Losing to the eventual NC and Rays incredible heroics keeping us close.
Caron like Ray putting a young team on his back and loosing to the eventual NC
You really can’t be a UConn fan and not cherish those games .

Reaction Score
You had to win three games in the NCAA tourney to get that far is hardly an easy task.
in the last 37 years as arguably the most successful program of that era . We have been fortune to get to 10 of them going 6-4 So 27 time we’ve come up short and we’re the best .
It’s really a rare achievement and worth remembering .,Some of our most memorable games have been losses in the elite 8 .
OT loss to Duke forming a lifelong hatred . I will take that game to my grave .
Losing to the eventual NC and Rays incredible heroics keeping us close.
Caron like Ray putting a young team on his back and loosing to the eventual NC
You really can’t be a UConn fan and not cherish those games .
Did any of the UConn teams that lost in the Elite 8 get rings? Just curious.

Reaction Score
It's 8th out of 350. In context it's pretty darn good. Even 16 out 350 is am accomplishment.
Name the elite 8 teams from 2019 without looking it up. And it is 8th out of 64, not 350. By that logic, every team who makes the tourney should make rings. Hell, being #64 out of 350 is something.

I didn't say they should be ashamed, I just wouldn't want a ring for losing two rounds before the champion. But that's just me. Not mad at them for doing so.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Meh. Sounds better if you call it 2nd place in a regional... but not a lot better. Worthy of a commemorative keychain maybe, but a ring? I wouldn't wear it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Better than a parade for winning one playoff series I suppose

No problem here, Elite Eight is special for most programs. We've only been there 11 times. It is a season to be proud of

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Name the elite 8 teams from 2019 without looking it up. And it is 8th out of 64, not 350. By that logic, every team who makes the tourney should make rings. Hell, being #64 out of 350 is something.

I didn't say they should be ashamed, I just wouldn't want a ring for losing two rounds before the champion. But that's just me. Not mad at them for doing so.

That's not fair, we weren't paying attention in 2019.

Reaction Score
@kobe, what kind of rings does Cincy make?? Asking for a friend.
Rings for all of the Bearcats . . .

1696854301636.png

Reaction Score

So the teams teams didn't make the tournament don't exist? The elite eight are what remains of a field of 362 eligible teams.

And yes, making the field of 64 is considered an accomplishment by most of the D1 college basketball universe. To many it marks a successful season. It is a goal for all of them including UConn. When we make the tournament and lose in the first round, we put it on an existing banner in Gampel. We raise it to the roof. It is small part of a bigger banner but it's up there. Context.

Reaction Score
Did any of the UConn teams that lost in the Elite 8 get rings? Just curious.
Yes

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yes

I think we were conference champions that year , no?

Reaction Score
If we can find it, maybe they'd like that ConFLiCT Trophy Diaco created for football for their trophy case.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If we can find it, maybe they'd like that ConFLiCT Trophy Diaco created for football for their trophy case.
Whatever happened to that trophy remains a mystery. Personally, I think Diaco took it.

Reaction Score
It's easy to forget how large an accomplishment an elite eight or final four are. The vast majority of teams never make it that far.
It was Creighton’s first Elite Eight and they’re a program that is looking for more. They’re celebrating the biggest tournament moment in program history.

Since Creighton has legit title aspirations and they’re returning a decent amount of players, makes sense to award the kids with something that is also a motivation for this season too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom