Creighton’s coach is phenomenal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Creighton’s coach is phenomenal

Reaction Score
Lol Hurley has also beaten three of those coaches this year. This board is unreal
Steele and Willard I said didn’t belong. Kimani beat Wright, not Hurley. What’s so hard to understand? He gets outcoached consistently by the better coaches. He beat Shaka twice, I’ll give him that

Reaction Score
I still imagine that McDermott has a chuckling post-game phone call w/senior Hurley, in which they figured it's a matter of time, but the time hasn't happened yet.
Let's just hope it's a matter of time occurs when it really matters if we meet in the BE tournament.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Simple. DH as UConn coach has not beat Mc Dermott. U

i don’t care if DH beat Mc Dermott while at RI. Simple statement DH has lost his 3 games if, not 4, against McDermott. One is an anomaly 3 or 4 is a trend. Hope not, but that’s my point
Simple? Not the way you've presented it incompletely and without correct facts.

Hurley is 1-5 against McDermott, and has never defeated him while he has coached UConn.

I've just made your point for the second time, both with greater accuracy & clarity than your attempts.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
He forced Sanogo to defend the pick and roll. Sanogo's man scored 20 points in the second half.

That was the game.
It was said Hurley did a fine job. Kid scored 2 points in first half. Second half, he scored over and over at will. You mean Hurley had no answer for that? Same play over and over. No answer. I don't even know what Sanog0s roll was.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
A zone wins this game. Outcoached again.

Lesson learned, I hope. Onto the next one.
We can't beat them. This coach scouts UConn well.

Reaction Score
Which is strange. He has knocked down three's before.
You are correct but for some odd reason last night Whaley was apprehensive and rushed with his shot. Just did not seem relaxed when he had the ball or shot.
We can't beat them. This coach scouts UConn well.
We can beat them, however Hurley needs to be on top of his coaching game. In the second half where we cut the lead to about 4, imo should have changed to some sort of zone to negate the on slaught of dunks mostly by Kalkbrenner. McDermott had us very spread out on defense for much of the game for backing in players close to the basket or easy cuts for the slam. He is one of the better coaches in the country and does not get the respect that he most certainly deserves.
With that being said all things must come to an end and the BE tournament would be a nice start if we meet.

Reaction Score
That was my exact thought, McDermott just provided the playbook on how to beat us. I’m surprised nobody so far has mentioned Hurley calling that 3 for Jackson out of a timeout! We were down 5 and that ended the game essentially. I guess he didn’t notice the other threes Andre shot tonight that barely touched the rim.
I don't think that play was for AJ to take a 3. Plays get drawn up and plays break down. Hurley is very good at drawing up plays un situations like that.

Reaction Score
We were 8-26 on threes. We shoot better, we win and you guys would not be so critical.

Reaction Score
He didn't draw up a 3 for Jackson, the play broke down and Jackson took a dumb shot. The mistake was even having him on the court though when we needed a 3
But AJ sees the court very well and for the most part knows where to get the ball to a player and he is decent at the free throw line. Hard to agree with you.

Reaction Score
this will be a template for how to play us moving forward
It has sort of been the template. But not every team has a guy who can play Sanogo. He can handle double teams but Kallbrenner is big and strong and that makes a difference.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
We said that last game against them and then we won 6 of 8 games before tonight.

The slip worked one time. Then we adjusted by having Polley show from the far corner the next time. It was good coaching and execution on the fly.

Look McDermott is a really good coach. Creighton didn't fire him for a reason despite him making a racial faux paus and it costing them their best recruit ever and a starting big man. But people pretending that Hurley didn't adjust or that McDermott didn't adjust to the adjustment, and then Hurley adjust to the adjustment weren't watching the game closely enough.

Here are coaching moves made by both coaches in pre-game or in-game today:
  • Hurley began the game aggressively pressuring their SG-turned PG, with hopes of both forcing turnovers now and tiring him out to commit turnovers later. It started working by end of 1st half.
  • McDermott used the same sag he used in the first game. Whaley and Jackson were even worse than 1st game from 3: 1/9 combined, all wide open. They go 3/9 we win. No Hawkins and Martin in foul trouble meant we pretty much had to play them.
  • Hurley ran a nice play with the uncovered because of the sag Whaley setting a pick for Cole to get a wide open 3. Ran the same play a few more times, but Cole either missed or the guy fought around the screen.
  • Then Hurley adjusted to sag by running spread Cole PnRs to take advantage of Kalkbrenner dropping in coverage. He brought us back into the game by making several mid range looks and 1 off the dribble 3.
  • McDermott adjusted by blitzing the Cole PnRs.
  • Hurley adjusted by immediately posting Sanogo 1v1 in the paint after the screen, the blitz allowing him to get deep position 1v1 with his best hand. He missed most of the shots (1/6 in the crucial stretch).
  • McDermott started slipping his PnR screens instead of trying to attack the hard hedge (hard hedge was working). They scored once, then we adjusted as noted above.
  • Hurley ran a beautiful play when we were down 3 with 1:45 left. It ran Polley off some screens, leaving Cole's man forced to help off him. Polley found Cole for the wide open 3. Clank.
  • McDermott ran a pet play and had his 3rd string PG run a 2 man game with Kalkbrenner and Sanogo got caught in no-man's land. Perfect alley-oop with Sanogo's hand in his face.
I'm sure I missed some things. Just what I saw 3 beers deep from live action.
Thank you

Reaction Score
Sanogo is very easy to game plan for.. double and triple him and he won’t give up the ball. It’s really not hard.
And leave AJ and Whaley open while another guy runs around and disrupts Cole

Reaction Score
Man what a season, can’t wait for the BET, Friars will be well rested, healthy, studying gamefilm and ready to go with Durham back in the line up having the next 8 days off!! really hope we get to play you guys, will be a lot of fun!!
So you really think having 8 days off before a tournament is beneficial? Got some bad news for you dude.
Stop living in the past, seems to be what you all do anymore… you’re back in the BE, it’s different now so live for the present and prove your worth going forward!!
At least we have significant past and as for "it’s different now so live for the present and prove your worth going forward". Watch out "because it's coming" and we are relevant now. Our recruiting is way above yours, be carful where you are treading.

Reaction Score
McDermott against us feels like Bill Belichick outscheming a teams offense. Just call him Greg McBellichick.

Reaction Score
We were 8-26 on threes. We shoot better, we win and you guys would not be so critical.

this is true, but DH had to help the team get 3 more points. cant let K score 20 2nd half points and not change the scheme

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Woah, didn’t Friars just beat Creighton by 21? You guys got out coaches Big Time and Sanogo struggles against bigger players, good thing he didn’t have to face Watson this season!!
Well, next year we will have Clingan and Sanogo. But in game and pre-game coaching needs to improve. Too predictable and nonadjustable. That's what "timeout" is for. We were down 7-0 and still no timeout. That has to be nipped in the bud. They looked totally out of sync.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thank you, Polley should be out there. Why was Jackson shooting a three on that after timeout possession? I would rather have Polley chuck up a shot rather than have that
Because they stayed with Polley and left Jackson wide open.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hurley is so clueless at in game adjustments. It was obvious to anyone watching that we needed offense tonight. So what does he do? Leave AJ in to go 0/6 from 3. Smart.
The team came nearly all the way back from being down 16 points. He made adjustments, he just didn’t abandon the hard hedge when we were getting killed by running it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It should matter though. It’s not good offense or a recipe for success. If he wants to play at the next level he HAS to learn how to play good basketball. This is basic pass the ball to the open guy stuff. Slow down and dissect the defense. Be patient. It’s so frustrating.
HTF is this on sanogo when he’s surrounded by guys who can’t consistently hit threes allowing teams to double and triple team him?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Whaley and Jackson did not have it tonight and their minutes should have gone to shooters (Polley and Gaffney) - I don’t know why they were out there for the last 5 minutes.
Gaffney? Polley absolutely. Play him over Whaley when we’re struggling offensively

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
HTF is this on sanogo when he’s surrounded by guys who can’t consistently hit threes allowing teams to double and triple team him?
Doesn’t matter. Pass the ball still. Having it move and making the defense move is still better than consistently putting your head down taking on double and triple teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom