COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | Page 32 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fair point. Maybe I subconsciously wrote that to defend schools’ potential pressures on asking/requiring staff to get vaccinated.

Unless it’s for a very specific medical reason, I think it’s ridiculous that anyone wouldn’t get the vaccine. However, I’m not sure where I stand on schools requiring staff to get the covid vaccine. Where do you stand on it?
My son is a teacher, my nephew is an assistant principal, his wife teaches special ed and I used used to work.in schools as an RN - I believe mandate is the right way to go and once fully approved mandated for students also.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fair point. Maybe I subconsciously wrote that to defend schools’ potential pressures on asking/requiring staff to get vaccinated.

Unless it’s for a very specific medical reason, I think it’s ridiculous that anyone wouldn’t get the vaccine. However, I’m not sure where I stand on schools requiring staff to get the covid vaccine. Where do you stand on it?

A crap show for every county and school district.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
If you don't mind me asking, what does she teach? And yes, my daughter says they are really good about requiring masks anywhere indoors (and my daughter is vaccinated)
If she's looking for any cake classes, I hear the AFAM classes are super easy. Easier than HDFR was.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So millions of doses of the vaccine administered around the country, boosters coming out in weeks, yet the FDA still can't find the time to approve it?????? Come on man!!

It usually takes about 10 years for a drug to be developed and approved for prescription. I wouldn't expect it to come anytime soon, if it comes at all (looking less likely to me). The Drug Development Process | FDA I don't think the issue is "finding the time".

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Way too subtle of a joke for this board.
I was trying to take a shot at UNC while taking a stroll down memory lane for those that took HDFR in that large hall near South Campus.
I'll try to do better next time. ;)

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
A co-worker of mine is freaking out because our school recently encouraged him (not required) him to get his covid vaccine before we return to work on Tuesday.

Since the 72 hours he's spoken to our head of school he's: concluded that he's going to get fired, applied for jobs as far as Philly (and listed my wife as a reference without her even knowing) and doing prep work to list his house on the market.

Talk about overreacting.
My sister in law has chosen not to get vaccinated rather than see her sister for the first time in two years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was trying to take a shot at UNC while taking a stroll down memory lane for those that took HDFR in that large hall near South Campus.

that's why it's a great joke. Best jokes are when 90% of the audience doesn't get it. If you get everyone laughing it's way too obvious.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It usually takes about 10 years for a drug to be developed and approved for prescription. I wouldn't expect it to come anytime soon, if it comes at all (looking less likely to me). The Drug Development Process | FDA I don't think the issue is "finding the time".
Can you give me the tl;dr for why you think the vaccine will never be approved for non-emergency use?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Can you give me the tl;dr for why you think the vaccine will never be approved for non-emergency use?

I don't necessarily think that, I just think with waning effectiveness (spread/transmission more than severity or symptoms) the case for it has gone down vs what we perhaps thought or expected (hoped) six months ago. It certainly could be approved but there are other potential side effects that bear watching and further long term study. So the outcome will likely depend on those longer term studies combined with data on efficacy over time (phase 3 trial was only 4 months). That's pretty normal for any drug/vaccine.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily think that, I just think with waning effectiveness (spread/transmission more than severity or symptoms) the case for it has gone down vs what we perhaps thought or expected (hoped) six months ago. It certainly could be approved but there are other potential side effects that bear watching and further long term study. So the outcome will likely depend on those longer term studies combined with data on efficacy over time (phase 3 trial was only 4 months). That's pretty normal for any drug/vaccine.
Other than the sore arm and 24 hour flu like symptoms, what are the other potential side effects that 'bear watching'?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There's about 100 other specific examples of BS in that article I could cite, but at the moment I'm a little too busy with helping my colleagues in my hospital as we try to save the lives of dozens of unvaccinated COVID infected patients who've gotten admitted to our over the past week.
Well thank you so much for taking time out from that and posting on the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
A co-worker of mine is freaking out because our school recently encouraged him (not required) him to get his covid vaccine before we return to work on Tuesday. Since the 72 hours he's spoken to our head of school he's: concluded that he's going to get fired, applied for jobs as far as Philly (and listed my wife as a reference without her even knowing) and doing prep work to list his house on the market. Talk about overreacting.
Not so sure about public teaching and other govt jobs, but increasingly many companies require proof of SARS-2 vaccine for new hires. Just a guess, overracting teacher man may not have considered proof of vaccine requirements in Philly nor any other location. If not for potentially being infected and worse individually let alone possibly infecting relatives, colleagues, and students, such self centered tossers could almost be entertaining.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Other than the sore arm and 24 hour flu like symptoms, what are the other potential side effects that 'bear watching'?

I’d rather not get kicked out of the thread, but you can’t be taken seriously if you think those are the only side effects rather than the most common ones. With any drug, you also want to see what occurs months and years later.

Reaction Score
I’d rather not get kicked out of the thread, but you can’t be taken seriously if you think those are the only side effects rather than the most common ones. With any drug, you also want to see what occurs months and years later.
I'm aware of the 'normal' process - but do not know one soul (adult or teen) out of many that experienced anything more than these. I know there is some myocarditis in teens, but it's rare and not fatal. Otherwise, have not heard or read anything even remotely bad. Not going down the rabbit hole of VAERS or anything unsubstantiated like it...

Reaction Score
Freshman daughter's school (Rice) just flipped the switch and moved the first 2 weeks of class to remote learning. The two week time is also the deadline for pulling a student for the semester and getting a full tuition refund. I know she would never want to return home, but the thought of paying more tuition for remote learning just kills me (paid for my son's remote learning at college last year). I fail to see the difference 2 weeks will make as the campus is 100% vaccinated when Delta is not going to disappear that quickly. Thankfully my Junior son read the tea leaves and got an internship for the fall to avoid more remote learning. Rice apparently has more cases on-campus than at anytime last year. My daughter says all are asymptomatic or have cold symptoms. Students aren't locked down, so it will continue to spread like crazy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This whole thread is the prologue to the real path out of this which is who needs a booster, how long will the booster work and how often will boosters need to be modified (like the flu shot)?

Tons of legitimate information showing the mRNA vaccinations are wearing off already and it looks like 8-9 months is all you get for robust protection before you become susceptible to catching COVID. Good news is even the breakthroughs have way less hospitalizations and deaths, although breakthrough hospitalizations are on the rise.

Bottom line is even if you are vaccinated it's looking like catching COVID and having some level of symptomatic reaction will be the norm.

No, a vaccine doesn't make you 'Superman.' Breakthrough COVID-19 cases are increasing amid delta variant.

Early Data Hints at a Rise in Breakthrough Infections - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Reaction Score

And for the people who know what they are looking at, the preliminary data looks better than even the most optimistic projections.

Reaction Score
If she's looking for any cake classes, I hear the AFAM classes are super easy. Easier than HDFR was.
Setting aside UNC athletics' no-show AFAM classes, the HDFR reference is gold. Anyone who actually went to the HDFR gut classes recall an old prof with twitching eyes? Singleton? Anyone in gut HDFR the 1 semester prior easy exams were changed? Luckily, I enjoyed the course, read the book, and even studied a bit for the exam. For most who leaned heavily on prior mostly unchanged exams, massive punishment. For the lucky, rewarding curve.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Way too subtle of a joke for this board.

that's why it's a great joke. Best jokes are when 90% of the audience doesn't get it. If you get everyone laughing it's way too obvious.

Setting aside UNC athletics' no-show AFAM classes, the HDFR reference is gold. Anyone who actually went to the HDFR gut classes recall an old prof with twitching eyes? Singleton? Anyone in gut HDFR the 1 semester prior easy exams were changed? Luckily, I enjoyed the course, read the book, and even studied a bit for the exam. For most who leaned heavily on prior mostly unchanged exams, massive punishment. For the lucky, rewarding curve.
I didn't take HDFR, but speaking of gut courses, anyone take Hebrew 298 with Rabbi Hirsch Cohen?

Reaction Score
My favorite UConn easy A+: Jazz History with Kenny Davis.

I was the only student in the class, yet it was somehow never canceled. As a bass player, pretty cool to take a class with a bass player who has played with Herbie Hancock and Art Farmer.

Long live Liberal Arts! :)

Reaction Score

I only took 1 HDFR course -- Human Sexuality with McDaniel (I think that was her name). Anyone from the late 90's knows. Hilarious class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom