COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | Page 31 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Freshman daughter has been in college for 2 days (dropped he off on Sunday) and she is already in COVID quarantine as one of her orientation advisors tested positive with no symptoms. Drop off was emotional enough for the family and now this. Looks like it will be a fun school year.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Freshman daughter has been in college for 2 days (dropped he off on Sunday) and she is already in COVID quarantine as one of her orientation advisors tested positive with no symptoms. Drop off was emotional enough for the family and now this. Looks like it will be a fun school year.
Rollercoaster GIF by memecandy

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There are a lot of false positives, or at least there were at my daughters school. Get used this.

Reaction Score
My daughter is a freshman at UNC (dropped her off last week). There is already a petition from the faculty and staff to go virtual for the first 4-6 weeks at least. Around 75% of faculty and staff are vaccinated - hmmm, if only there was a way for the other 25% to be safe.....

Reaction Score
My daughter is a freshman at UNC (dropped her off last week). There is already a petition from the faculty and staff to go virtual for the first 4-6 weeks at least. Around 75% of faculty and staff are vaccinated - hmmm, if only there was a way for the other 25% to be safe.....

What's her major? My fiance went to UNC for undergrad and law school (it's a problem in our relationship), and would be happy to send your daughter tons of advice!

Reaction Score
What's her major? My fiance went to UNC for undergrad and law school (it's a problem in our relationship), and would be happy to send your daughter tons of advice!

She's currently a business major, which is a way of saying she's undecided at the moment, lol Her first week has consisted of sorority rush - you know, the important stuff, lol I definitely appreciate the offer - will take you up on that once she decides the direction she wants to go...

Curiouser
Reaction Score

She's currently a business major, which is a way of saying she's undecided at the moment, lol Her first week has consisted of sorority rush - you know, the important stuff, lol I definitely appreciate the offer - will take you up on that once she decides the direction she wants to go...
Hopefully you made it to He's Not?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not yet, but we live in Raleigh, so we are only about 30 minutes away. We'll be there a lot - we did eat at Top of the Hill last week...
Funny, I had to be in Durham for a meeting a few years ago for all of maybe 48 hours. Went to The Pit for great BBQ, and went to two places in Chapel Hill: HNH and Top of the Hill. And saw Duke vs. St. John's at Cameron. Very efficient trip!

Reaction Score
Funny, I had to be in Durham for a meeting a few years ago for all of maybe 48 hours. Went to The Pit for great BBQ, and went to two places in Chapel Hill: HNH and Top of the Hill. And saw Duke vs. St. John's at Cameron. Very efficient trip!
As much as I hate Duke and UNC (even though my wallet says otherwise now, lol), there are a lot of cool/fun places to go there. And of course, any sporting events. Haven't been to Cameron yet though - it's on the list!

Reaction Score
My daughter teaches there. She is livid that vaccinations aren’t required. Masks are though and if you don’t where one you can be bounced from the class for the semester

Reaction Score
My daughter teaches there. She is livid that vaccinations aren’t required. Masks are though and if you don’t where one you can be bounced from the class for the semester
If you don't mind me asking, what does she teach? And yes, my daughter says they are really good about requiring masks anywhere indoors (and my daughter is vaccinated)

Reaction Score
Should fully vaccinated people with no symptoms be tested at all? Seems like if that continues, the quarantines, the cancelations, etc will never end.
It's hard to keep track of all the policies but I believe the majority I've seen have been if you're vaccinated and no symptoms you wouldn't need to quarantine even after testing positive

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Should fully vaccinated people with no symptoms be tested at all? Seems like if that continues, the quarantines, the cancelations, etc will never end.

It's a good question, and yet many colleges and some employers are doing exactly that. As I said above, every kid at Northeastern is to be tested weekly, and they are all required to be fully vaccinated. Doesn't make much sense to me. I've long disliked the use of the word "cases" for every positive test. It's contrary to how medicine is normally practiced for every other viral disease. We are all exposed to viruses frequently and fight them off, they don't always manifest as diseases with symptoms because the immune system works. Getting sick with the disease Covid-19, that's a "case". Testing asymptomatically positive for SARs-Cov-2 the virus is not.

Reaction Score
So millions of doses of the vaccine administered around the country, boosters coming out in weeks, yet the FDA still can't find the time to approve it?????? Come on man!!

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Viruses tend to do just the opposite.
So name me another lab created virus that is like corona that got weaker as time went on. I’ll wait.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
It has gotten better for a vast majority of those who have been vaccinated - either through avoidance of the virus or a less severe case. Meanwhile, the current brunt of the pandemic is falling heavily on the unvaccinated
You do realize that corona is a man made virus? You do realize that every time it mutates, it gets stronger? You do realize that the vaccines aren’t going to help, long-term? You will see this eventually.

Reaction Score
A co-worker of mine is freaking out because our school recently encouraged him (not required) him to get his covid vaccine before we return to work on Tuesday.

Since the 72 hours he's spoken to our head of school he's: concluded that he's going to get fired, applied for jobs as far as Philly (and listed my wife as a reference without her even knowing) and doing prep work to list his house on the market.

Talk about overreacting.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A co-worker of mine is freaking out because our school recently encouraged him (not required) him to get his covid vaccine. Since the 72 hours he's spoken to our head of school he's: concluded that he's going to get fired, applied for jobs as far as Philly, listed his house on the market. Talk about overreacting.
Were you a part of that conversation?

Reaction Score
Were you a part of that conversation?
I'm not part of any of the school discussions (I'm a department head of another department), but everything I've shared is a secondary source as this is what was told to me from him.

However, he's prone to overreacting in general and I am nearly 100% certain his job is not in jeopardy. Why would a school put a teacher's job on jeopardy when a contract has been issued, school is about to start and it would be nearly impossible to find a replacement teacher so quickly?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm not part of any of the school discussions (I'm a department head of another department), but everything I've shared is a secondary source as this is what was told to me from him.

However, he's prone to overreacting in general and I am nearly 100% certain his job is not in jeopardy. Why would a school put a teacher's job on jeopardy when a contract has been issued, school is about to start and it would be nearly impossible to find a replacement teacher so quickly?

I won't go in to the merits of your point or the validity of your friend's story being relayed to you.

As for the logic of "Why would a school"............... You do realize hospitals are firing unvaccinated health care workers while simultaneously having some of their highest patient loads, correct? Again, not discussing the merits of the decisions, just pointing out administrations in other industries have shown they will shortfall themselves staff in order to ensure staff vaccinations.

Reaction Score
I won't go in to the merits of your point or the validity of your friend's story being relayed to you.

As for the logic of "Why would a school"............... You do realize hospitals are firing unvaccinated health care workers while simultaneously having some of their highest patient loads, correct? Again, not discussing the merits of the decisions, just pointing out administrations in other industries have shown they will shortfall themselves staff in order to ensure staff vaccinations.
Fair point. Maybe I subconsciously wrote that to defend schools’ potential pressures on asking/requiring staff to get vaccinated.

Unless it’s for a very specific medical reason, I think it’s ridiculous that anyone wouldn’t get the vaccine. However, I’m not sure where I stand on schools requiring staff to get the covid vaccine. Where do you stand on it?

Reaction Score

The hospital system I used to work in did the same with the flu shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom