Cole, Gaff, Martin, Akok, Sanogo | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Cole, Gaff, Martin, Akok, Sanogo

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Enjoy your night my friend. You will be hearing from me after every game. I hope my critiques of Ajax become incorrect. I will gladly admit if I'm wrong...I don't think you will though.
Here’s hoping the 5th year senior can show he improved

Reaction Score
Make no mistake: Sanogo is a beast. He will be neutralized only by doubling him; by the end of the season I suspect you’ll need a big-to-big double like we did on Elton Brand in the ’99 NC game.
What I meant by lesser of a beast. He is definitely dominating in the paint right now against smaller and lesser physical players. Example when at B4A when we play Auburn it should not be as easy for him down low he will have tougher time with teams like that. Yes, he is a beast regardless.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Cole and Gaffney definitely seem to have taken the boneyard’s “no one on this team can shoot” BS to heart.
For the record:

Cole Gaffney
Minutes 24 23
FG 6-16 4-7
3 PT 2-7 3-5
FT 2-2 0-1
PTS 16 11
REB 4 5
ASSISTS 6 8
STEALS 3 2
TO 1 0

Gaffney very quietly put up some nice stats. Two other things. Cole has put on some real muscle and Gaff is considerably taller (6-3 vs 5-10 maybe). Overall very good outings for both and that bears well for us. Really hope Gaf can keep it up. We really need him to step up.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What I meant by lesser of a beast. He is definitely dominating in the paint right now against smaller and lesser physical players. Example when at B4A when we play Auburn it should not be as easy for him down low he will have tougher time with teams like that. Yes, he is a beast regardless.
I agree with you, but based on Hurley’s comments in his presser—and considering that Hurley is not wont to overdo praise—he doesn’t think anyone will be able to handle him without a double team. He said that’s why he stopped feeding him today, because they need to get other players involved so they are prepared for when the double teams come. He essentially agreed that Sanogo could have scored at will all game for these first two games.

Reaction Score
His whole game is a work in progress. But I get it. This is a superfan message board. Any critique of any player is going to get slammed.
I guess all the experts are wrong on him. I'm a big fan of the college game not of the players per say. But when you see things that most players don't exude and can change a game in a different manor other than scoring. I appreciate it.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
For the record:

Cole Gaffney
Minutes 24 23
FG 6-16 4-7
3 PT 2-7 3-5
FT 2-2 0-1
PTS 16 11
REB 4 5
ASSISTS 6 8
STEALS 3 2
TO 1 0

Gaffney very quietly put up some nice stats. Two other things. Cole has put on some real muscle and Gaff is considerably taller (6-3 vs 5-10 maybe). Overall very good outings for both and that bears well for us. Really hope Gaf can keep it up. We really need him to step up.
RJ looks to me like he’s leaned out quite a bit (still quite strong) which seems to be helping his overall stamina and athleticism

It’s doubly impressive how good he was last year considering 1) he sat out a year 2) he came back to a crazy Covid year 3) he was transitioning from the MEAC to running a team and being heavily relied upon in the Big East

Reaction Score
Complete agreement with post
First off Akok Akok looks incredible. Nba 1 st rd pick good
He Shouod start 4 Abd play 28-30
No way can we start Both Whaley and Jackson. I’d go Jackson in first line up

C Sanogo
F Akok
F Jackson
G martin
G cole
6 man gaffney
Whaley
Polley
Hawkins

Reaction Score

C Sanogo
F Akok
F Jackson
G martin
G cole
6 man gaffney
Whaley
Polley
Hawkins
Agree about Akok. He totally changed the tone of the game and was the difference today. Good luck trying to score around him.

Reaction Score
I just don’t like Ajax and Sanogo out there together. Sanogo is going to have to be surrounded by offensive threats. When he’s doubled in the post we need slashers and shooters around him(Reese, Cole, Gaffney, Hawk, Akok, even Polley) those are the guys I want on the court during the game with Sanogo. An AJax, Hawk/gaffney, Polley, Whaley, Akok second unit is who I want to see with Ajax. That second unit will be a track meet, while the first unit will be more post heavy. I think that’s how this will shake out over the coming weeks

Reaction Score
No. You get blasted here for suggesting he sucks, most people here agree he's a flawed player who has plenty of room to improve
I said he is a bench role player and I get crucified as well. People on this board think he is nba level....does not have the shooting mechanics, don't care what freak athlete he is

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I said he is a bench role player and I get crucified as well. People on this board think he is nba level....does not have the shooting mechanics, don't care what freak athlete he is
Thankfully I’m not the only blind bat around here.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

C Sanogo
F Akok
F Jackson
G martin
G cole
6 man gaffney
Whaley
Polley
Hawkins
Agree about Akok. He totally changed the tone of the game and was the difference today. Good luck trying to score around him.
I just don’t like Ajax and Sanogo out there together. Sanogo is going to have to be surrounded by offensive threats. When he’s doubled in the post we need slashers and shooters around him(Reese, Cole, Gaffney, Hawk, Akok, even Polley) those are the guys I want on the court during the game with Sanogo. An AJax, Hawk/gaffney, Polley, Whaley, Akok second unit is who I want to see with Ajax. That second unit will be a track meet, while the first unit will be more post heavy. I think that’s how this will shake out over the coming weeks

Listen to today's post game presser. Hurley was very specific that he likes the starting line up he puts out there due to its size and physicality (I think he called it strength and toughness, but semantics).

He said he puts Akok and Gaffney on the second team in practice to keep them aggressive and tough because Akok and Gaffney are the two players who can compete against the starters. Gaff referenced it today too.

I prefer Akok out there to start but Hurley has a plan and has communicated it to the team. He still has the 80 minutes to divvy up between Sanogo, Akok and Whaley. Although Hurley also mentioned needing to build certain players up to 30 mpg of game conditioning. I would think that is in reference to Sanogo. Still 50 minutes for Akok and Whaley. We won't be seeing much of Johnson or Springs going forward at the four or five. Might not seem like much now, but they are 11.5 minutes between the two of them. Figure 5.5 of those minutes goes to Sanogo to get him to 30. Whaley is at 24.5 mpg right now. Bump him up .5 to 25 mpg. Akok is at 17.5. Give him the other 5.5 minutes and he's at 23. So, going forward you could have Sanogo at 30, Whaley at 25 and Akok at 23. Move a minute e or two here or there and you have your 80 minutes each game.

Reaction Score
Two biggest keys for our season:
  • Emergence of a true shooting guard
  • Stretch 4 to spread the offense and give Sanogo room to operate

Gaffney and Akok filled those roles admirably today. This was clearly our best lineup.

Question remains whether they can consistently bring this level of performance against high major opponents.

Reaction Score
Whaley and Ajax have no clear offensive role/identity and it shows.

I think they need to be phased out of the starting/most used lineup to reach our true ceiling, but I am sure situation is delicate.

Whaley will obviously remain in the picture with his defense and as the main backup for Sanogo.

Jackson can be a contibutor off the bench for now until he puts it together. Just not clear to me how he fits with this team…

Reaction Score
Whaley and Ajax have no clear offensive role/identity and it shows.

I think they need to be phased out of the starting/most used lineup to reach our true ceiling, but I am sure situation is delicate.

Whaley will obviously remain in the picture with his defense and as the main backup for Sanogo.

Jackson can be a contibutor off the bench for now until he puts it together. Just not clear to me how he fits with this team…
He fits with the team as the 2nd teams primary playmaker. Also as a change of pace guy. I just don’t think he fits well with Sanogo. I think Sanogo has to be surrounded by multiple threats the put the ball in the basket. Jackson hasn’t shown to be that yet. Let him play the Ben Simmons role with the second unit

Reaction Score
He fits with the team as the 2nd teams primary playmaker. Also as a change of pace guy. I just don’t think he fits well with Sanogo. I think Sanogo has to be surrounded by multiple threats the put the ball in the basket. Jackson hasn’t shown to be that yet. Let him play the Ben Simmons role with the second unit
I agree, I think that makes the most sense at this point. Needs to tighten up his handle though…

Ideally he can build some confidence in that role and start pulling it all together.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
RJ looks to me like he’s leaned out quite a bit (still quite strong) which seems to be helping his overall stamina and athleticism

It’s doubly impressive how good he was last year considering 1) he sat out a year 2) he came back to a crazy Covid year 3) he was transitioning from the MEAC to running a team and being heavily relied upon in the Big East
Good character training. Learned perserverance young. Hurley trained. Great example of leading by example to teammates. 3 charges in the paint! We are going to need that leadership as the glue this year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Listen to today's post game presser. Hurley was very specific that he likes the starting line up he puts out there due to its size and physicality (I think he called it strength and toughness, but semantics).

He said he puts Akok and Gaffney on the second team in practice to keep them aggressive and tough because Akok and Gaffney are the two players who can compete against the starters. Gaff referenced it today too.

I prefer Akok out there to start but Hurley has a plan and has communicated it to the team. He still has the 80 minutes to divvy up between Sanogo, Akok and Whaley. Although Hurley also mentioned needing to build certain players up to 30 mpg of game conditioning. I would think that is in reference to Sanogo. Still 50 minutes for Akok and Whaley. We won't be seeing much of Johnson or Springs going forward at the four or five. Might not seem like much now, but they are 11.5 minutes between the two of them. Figure 5.5 of those minutes goes to Sanogo to get him to 30. Whaley is at 24.5 mpg right now. Bump him up .5 to 25 mpg. Akok is at 17.5. Give him the other 5.5 minutes and he's at 23. So, going forward you could have Sanogo at 30, Whaley at 25 and Akok at 23. Move a minute e or two here or there and you have your 80 minutes each game.
That's a good take but opponents see this strength as well. They will try to get one or more in foul trouble, especially Sanogo and Akok. Inevitably this will happen in some games. That's where they're minutes for the bench will come as well.

Reaction Score
We really need Hawkins to get on the court, get some run, and see what he can do. If he can handle the ball as a 2 and isn't a liability on d this team becomes even more dangerous.

Reaction Score
We really need Hawkins to get on the court, get some run, and see what he can do. If he can handle the ball as a 2 and isn't a liability on d this team becomes even more dangerous.
Hawk should be ok on offense, his ball handling needs to get tighter. Defense?

Reaction Score
love the hype but UK brings Obi Toppin's brother, Lance Ware, Daimion Collins (top 20 recruit) and Bryce Hopkins (top 40 recruit) off the bench. i'd take akok over any of them but still they're deeper. i also think akok should be starting...

Cole (25)---Gaffney (15)
Hawk (20)--Jackson (15)-Gaff (5)
Martin (25)--Polley (15)
Akok (25)----Whaley (15)
Sanogo (30)-Whaley (10)
I don't see Sanogo playing 30. He is just a sophomore. He will tire or get in foul trouble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom