Cole, Gaff, Martin, Akok, Sanogo | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cole, Gaff, Martin, Akok, Sanogo

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If I told you this guys stats were good, what would you say? Because these were his numbers last year. He doesn't pass the eye test either. Maybe in the pre-game layup line.

3 point % was .118
More fouls per game than points - 2.8/2.7
Almost as many turnovers as assists per game - 1.2/1.6
Do you think Polley should play over him?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You say Andre Jackson sucks, I think that's a ridiculous statement. Sucks at shooting, sure. He's already an elite passer and shows flashes of greatness on the defensive end. Even if he never takes another jump shot again he has value as a role player on this team. A role player who you have to heavily shelter minutes surrounded by 3 other shooters, but there's no arguing he has a role on this team
This. Maybe me saying he has to take those threes is asking a lot but he will be playing a lot bc of his versatility on both ends

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
You say Andre Jackson sucks, I think that's a ridiculous statement. Sucks at shooting, sure. He's already an elite passer and shows flashes of greatness on the defensive end. Even if he never takes another jump shot again he has value as a role player on this team. A role player who you have to heavily shelter minutes surrounded by 3 other shooters, but there's no arguing he has a role on this team
He's not an "elite" passer. Again, there's an example of folks here crowning him. Almost as many turnovers as assists per game - 1.2/1.6

He needs to work on his D. "Flashes?" Maybe. He couldn't get off the court without fouling too much last year, and many of those fouls were unnecessary and way too far from the basket. He averaged more fouls per game last year than points.

Does he currently have a role? Yes. Can it increase? Yes. Can it decrease? yes.

Reaction Score
You're wasting your time.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
What does Polley do well consistently that has him playing over Jackson?
Neither impress me anymore, but Polley can at least be relied upon to shoot more and shoot better. Also, he is less prone to bad fouls on the defensive end. If I had to choose one right now, it's Polley. That could change though. You're asking me to split hairs. Ultimately, when I watch games (and I watch them all), I curse less at Polley.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’m not down on Hawkins either. He very well may have earned his starting spot in camp. My point, however, is that once you see a player on the court it stops mattering what rating services predicted of him when he was in High School. Or how few years player’s entourages think they need to be in college before going pro.
But we have seen Gaffney on the court for two seasons already so that part is not conjecture. He's played well these first two games but he hasn't won the starting spot. That we know. Having a guard of his quality as a backup will be a nice luxury to have, if that's what it comes down to.

I imagine it may change from game to game, but my assumption is that Hawkins is in contention for the starting spot once healthy and none of us have a basis to write that off until we've seen him healthy--which could take a few games or a whole season...

Reaction Score
He's not an "elite" passer. Again, there's an example of folks here crowning him.

He needs to work on his D. "Flashes?" Maybe. He couldn't get off the court without fouling too much last year, and many of those fouls were unnecessary and way too far from the basket.

Does he currently have a role? Yes. Can it increase? Yes. Can it decrease? yes.
That's not crowning him as anything by saying he's an elite passer. It does nothing for his game if he doesn't start taking 3's and the defender can play 10 feet off him. Until then all the passing skills in the world won't do him any good just like his athleticism doesn't help getting to the rim for the same reason

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
That's not crowning him as anything by saying he's an elite passer. It does nothing for his game if he doesn't start taking 3's and the defender can play 10 feet off him. Until then all the passing skills in the world won't do him any good just like his athleticism doesn't help getting to the rim for the same reason
If he's a brick-layer, he shouldn't be taking 3's in games until he's figured it out in the gym. And he's not an "elite" passer. Stop saying that. Last year, he averaged almost as many turnovers as assists per game - 1.2/1.6

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Neither impress me anymore, but Polley can at least be relied upon to shoot more and shoot better. Also, he is less prone to bad fouls on the defensive end. If I had to choose one right now, it's Polley. That could change though. You're asking me to split hairs. Ultimately, when I watch games (and I watch them all), I curse less at Polley.
Polley is supposed to be good at one thing, shooting and he's not good at that. He's a liability on defense. With Jackson you know you're getting better defense, rebounding, passing, ball handling. If you have

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Jackson is absolutely terrified to shoot the ball. If Gaffney continues to fill it up AJ will see his minutes drop significantly.

He can almost read AJ’s mind. “Everyone thinks I can’t shoot. If I do shoot they’ll know it.”

Per my previous post in this thread, I think our shooting isn’t dire as most do, but that is with Gaffney on the floor.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Polley is supposed to be good at one thing, shooting and he's not good at that. He's a liability on defense. With Jackson you know you're getting better defense, rebounding, passing, ball handling. If you have
Did you see Jax's stats I just posted from last year? He's also a liability on D. He's not a better passer. And are you even watching these games? Eye test fails as well.

3 point % was .118
More fouls per game than points - 2.8/2.7
Almost as many turnovers as assists per game - 1.2/1.6

Reaction Score
If he's a brick-layer, he shouldn't be taking 3's in games until he's figured it out in the gym. And he's not an "elite" passer. Stop saying that. Last year, he averaged almost as many turnovers as assists per game - 1.2/1.6
I'm just going to move on and enjoy my night, it's clear you're not going into this with an open mind and any opinion other than Andre Jackson is not a D1 basketball player is wrong. You can continue to come here and take your "victory" laps that Andre sucks, I suspect we won't be seeing you very often in post-game threads

Reaction Score
this may end up being our best lineup. that being said, i'd like to see some of the small-ball lineups once hawkins gets back. hurley has basically played two bigs 100% of the first two games -- i am not mad about that (our front court is our strength and they have to be able to guard smaller guys) but curious about the versatility of this squad.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He does suck. I was just being nice. And that doesn't mean I don't think he has the ability to improve. And many here crowned him way too early, and won't listen to anyone who questions his ability. You can't all be his NIL agent.
You don't even want to wish him a happy 20th birthday?
That'd be "nice."

Reaction Score
this may end up being our best lineup. that being said, i'd like to see some of the small-ball lineups once hawkins gets back. hurley has basically played two bigs 100% of the first two games -- i am not mad about that (our front court is our strength and they have to be able to guard smaller guys) but curious about the versatility of this squad.
it's not very versatile when whaley gives you 2 pts and 1 reb as the starting PF that's for sure

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm just going to move on and enjoy my night, it's clear you're not going into this with an open mind and any opinion other than Andre Jackson is not a D1 basketball player is wrong. You can continue to come here and take your "victory" laps that Andre sucks, I suspect we won't be seeing you very often in post-game threads
Enjoy your night my friend. You will be hearing from me after every game. I hope my critiques of Ajax become incorrect. I will gladly admit if I'm wrong...I don't think you will though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom