Cole, Gaff, Martin, Akok, Sanogo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cole, Gaff, Martin, Akok, Sanogo

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No embarrassment anywhere. Read my posts. I don't like Cole having to run the point for a majority of the time and he was definitely playing off the ball to start the game and whenever Gaff was on there. Find where I said anything else. Cole is a lead guard not a pure point and Hurley has lineups that play to that strength.

You "pointed out" that a lineup which had Cole score 16 points, 6 assists, 3 steals and one TO; Martin 15 and 6 rebounds while hitting 3-5 3's; and Gaff 11 points, 8 assists and zero TO's won't impact Hawkins minutes. Now, that's hot.

As others have said in this thread Polley's minutes are definitely up for grabs, and if Jackson won't even look at the rim, his minutes are up for grab too.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's not only that Polley can't do what he's brought into to do. He's constantly flat-footed on defense, fouls, and doesn't rebound

Agree. I would almost say after two games, Hawkins, Polley and Jackson are three bodies fighting for two players' minutes.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Lol. Two games. CCSU and Coppin State.

Hard to take much away except that AJ’s coronation may be a bit premature
Thank you. I get blasted here for even mentioning that he's just OK. From talking to the folks I know that are UConn fans, when compared to BY chatter, I have to say that folks on the BY are way higher on Ajax than most fans. I was with 4 other fans today, and not one of them wants Ajax on the court.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Jackson has to start shooting the three or at least drive midrange otherwise teams will sag deep into the paint
He should not be shooting the 3 and he knows it. Did you see that possession with about 5-7 minutes left? He passed on a wide open 3, drove, and missed a runner. He has less confidence in his range than I have in his range.

Reaction Score
You play your best. I think it was against Nova or Creighton where he was the best player on the court and we were off and running. Then he gets a phantom second foul and the game completely changes. Hurley can't do hockey subs this year. there's no need to
I'm not suggesting he do hockey subs, and of course there's going to be games where Sanogo has a great matchup and plays 30 just like there's games that Polley is going off and gets 20 or we need more from one of the freshman. I'm talking larger scale over the course of the season, 25 minutes for Sanogo doesn't mean 25 every game, it'll vary as needed

Reaction Score
If Sanogo isn’t in foul trouble he needs 30+. Against good teams he is our offense.
He's huge, but I think he'll be most effective in his minutes playing 25 min vs. 32 (assuming healthy Whaley, would rather have Sanogo than Johnson)

Reaction Score
Thank you. I get blasted here for even mentioning that he's just OK. From talking to the folks I know that are UConn fans, when compared to BY chatter, I have to say that folks on the BY are way higher on Ajax than most fans. I was with 4 other fans today, and not one of them wants Ajax on the court.
No. You get blasted here for suggesting he sucks, most people here agree he's a flawed player who has plenty of room to improve

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
love the hype but UK brings Obi Toppin's brother, Lance Ware, Daimion Collins (top 20 recruit) and Bryce Hopkins (top 40 recruit) off the bench. i'd take akok over any of them but still they're deeper. i also think akok should be starting...

Cole (25)---Gaffney (15)
Hawk (20)--Jackson (15)-Gaff (5)
Martin (25)--Polley (15)
Akok (25)----Whaley (15)
Sanogo (30)-Whaley (10)
When BE play starts, Akok will be replacing Jackson. As he should be.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
No. You get blasted here for suggesting he sucks, most people here agree he's a flawed player who has plenty of room to improve
He does suck. I was just being nice. And that doesn't mean I don't think he has the ability to improve. And many here crowned him way too early, and won't listen to anyone who questions his ability. You can't all be his NIL agent.

Reaction Score
Ha. Nice try. I realize that you're still trying to recover from the embarrassment of your preseason campaign against Cole, but you are the one who is capping Hawkins's minutes at 15 sight unseen. I merely pointed out that you couldn't possibly have a reasoned basis for that prediction, which you now seem to acknowledge. That, by definition, is a hot take.

I'm not vouching for anything except what my eyes told me when Hurley didn't start Gaffney in the first two games. I thought it was a no-brainer that Gaff would start once Hawkins was injured, but Hurley obviously didn't have that confidence. This leads me to conclude that Gaffney was the third option for the 2 spot before Hawkins was injured, which would also be consistent with the lineups he had for the scrimmage, as well as reports from people who had access to the team.
No way. Gaffney is the second point guard quality wise and will be brought in after the first group so we don’t drop off. He does a lot of things well. Hurley will go with what he knows, always has.

Reaction Score
Jackson has to start shooting the three or at least drive midrange otherwise teams will sag deep into the paint
Dre just looks lost in a half court game. At this point take the damn shot even if you miss instead of playing hot potato every time you touch it.
On anothercnote, Akok’s energy changed the game early on. Heart and soul of this team.

Reaction Score
He does suck. I was just being nice. And that doesn't mean I don't think he has the ability to improve. And many here crowned him way too early, and won't listen to anyone who questions his ability. You can't all be his NIL agent.
There's plenty of room for nuance in the discussion about Andre, but don't expect anyone to take you seriously and be willing to have that discussion with you when you start off your posts like you just did

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
There's plenty of room for nuance in the discussion about Andre, but don't expect anyone to take you seriously and be willing to have that discussion with you when you start off your posts like you just did
Well it seems I found his NIL agent.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
But but but … star ratings.

I'm not down on Hawkins. I'm anxious to see how he does and if he is as good as advertised UConn is a legit E8 or better team.

What I was referencing is minutes played is a zero sum game. I agree with others that Polley is susceptible to getting minutes chopped. The way Gaff has played so far, he's going to get 20 mpg every game.

And it's not just pure skill it's meshing with the other players on the floor.

Come, Gaff, Martin, Akok and Sanogo is a natural lineup and they play quick and with purpose on offense. On defense there's plenty enough length, speed and tenacity to keep opponents in check.

Reaction Score
Whaleys defense and his D on screens will keep him ahead of Akok.

Reaction Score
I'm not down on Hawkins. I'm anxious to see how he does and if he is as good as advertised UConn is a legit E8 or better team.

What I was referencing is minutes played is a zero sum game. I agree with others that Polley is susceptible to getting minutes chopped. The way Gaff has played so far, he's going to get 20 mpg every game.

And it's not just pure skill it's meshing with the other players on the floor.

Come, Gaff, Martin, Akok and Sanogo is a natural lineup and they play quick and with purpose on offense. On defense there's plenty enough length, speed and tenacity to keep opponents in check.
I’m not down on Hawkins either. He very well may have earned his starting spot in camp. My point, however, is that once you see a player on the court it stops mattering what rating services predicted of him when he was in High School. Or how few years player’s entourages think they need to be in college before going pro.

And I don’t disagree that Akok and Sanogo are a better offensive pairing than Whaley and Sanogo. But defense will factor into it as well, and if one of Akok or Sanogo can’t guard on the perimeter Whaley isn’t losing minutes. (Although I see all 3 of them playing at least 20 minutes a night anyway, with the extra minutes depending on who is playing well. And from what I saw of Johnson, his understanding of how to play college hoops isn’t going to catch up to his talent level anytime soon.)

Reaction Score
He may be overrated and you don’t like his game but to say he sucks is ridiculous. He can’t shoot but does a lot of other things better than most players. His versatility is better than most. Danny Hurley who has coached for a while now doesn’t think he sucks but some dude thats a fan of the XLCenter knows better. Cool.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Let me know when you're ready to have an adult conversation and I'm happy to talk about Andre Jackson

Day after day with you. Your fixation is weird dude.

He may be overrated and you don’t like his game but to say he sucks is ridiculous. He can’t shoot but does a lot of other things better than most players. His versatility is better than most. Danny Hurley who has coached for a while now doesn’t think he sucks but some dude thats a fan of the XLCenter knows better. Cool.
If I told you this guys stats were good, what would you say? Because these were his numbers last year. He doesn't pass the eye test either. Maybe in the pre-game layup line.

3 point % was .118
More fouls per game than points - 2.8/2.7
Almost as many turnovers as assists per game - 1.2/1.6

Reaction Score
I'm ready. Go.
You say Andre Jackson sucks, I think that's a ridiculous statement. Sucks at shooting, sure. He's already an elite passer and shows flashes of greatness on the defensive end. Even if he never takes another jump shot again he has value as a role player on this team. A role player who you have to heavily shelter minutes surrounded by 3 other shooters, but there's no arguing he has a role on this team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom