Coaching Hot Seat 2021 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat 2021

Reaction Score
Wow. Wisconsin's move was kind of surprising. Watching this Illinois game, I might have to change my mind on Coach Fahey.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Good suggestions for Wisconsin. I'd add three from the Horizon League -- which spans the Midwest -- in no particular order of preference:
  • Katrina Merriweather, Wright State, just won the 2021 title over IUPUI. She's done a stellar job at Wright State since 2016 and is very well connected to the AAU scenes in Ohio and her native Indianapolis.
  • Austin Parkinson, HC of IUPUI, who made that school a force in the Horizon. My only caveat here is that I think he's a natural to take over Purdue -- if there's a change there -- because he comes from a long line of Purdue hoopsters.
  • (Ms.) Kyle Rechlicz, Milwaukee. Just done a superb job there since taking over some 9 years ago. Should be noted that her Panthers beat Marquette this year. Before coming to Milwaukee, she was a longtime asst. coach at Dayton, then spent a year at Wisconsin.

All three know the territory for recruiting and all three coach who they get really well.
Good choices too Dillon77.

I will also point out Jennie Barancyzk played at Iowa and is considered by most to be Lisa Bluder's replacement once she decides to retire, probably 7+ years off though. It will come down to Jennie or current AHC Jan Jensen for that job but any school hiring Jennie needs to be aware of this.

Reaction Score
As I pointed out in an earlier post:
NR#157 Wisconsin Jonathan Tsipis 5 years (50-98,14-74conf.) Has never won more than 4 conference games in any season. Had 1 top-100 recruit in 2016,none in 2017,2018,or 2019,1 in 2020 and none in 2021. On borrowed time.

NR#177 Illinois Nancy Fahey 4 years (26-73,6-64conf.) Has yet to win more than 2 conference games in any season. No top-100 recruits for 2017,1 for 2018,none for 2019 and 2020,1 for 2021. Not getting the job done and the clock is ticking.

NR#134 Minnesota Lindsay Whalen 3 years (45-38,21-33conf.) Each year has had worsening overall record but this year was her best conference record at 7-11. Had 1 top-100 recruit in 2018 and 2019,2 in 2020 and 1 in 2021. Needs to show capable of at least a break-even record (overall as well as in conference) next season.
Surprised that Nebraska fired their coach only because he had been given an extension through 2024 but predicted as much based on the above. Illinois has done even worse but will probably keep coach for another year or two (her contract was extended to 2025) but that wont change the numbers above - they are on a trajectory of continued failure.
Nobody believes me about Whalen until it finally reaches the point where the numbers can no longer be denied. It will get ugly.

Reaction Score

Surprised that Nebraska fired their coach only because he had been given an extension
Wisconsin
Nobody believes me about Whalen until it finally reaches the point where the numbers can no longer be denied. It will get ugly.
Not sure what you mean by “nobody.” I
Agree that Whalen is not on a good trajectory, but don’t see any way they can fire a local hero after 3 or 4 years. They’re stuck with her for now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Speaking of Tsipis, his successor at GW has experienced none of his success at Foggy Bottom. 8-13 this year, 11th (out of 14) in the A-10, and currently in a nail biter with last-place George Mason in the A-10 first round.

Could this be curtains for Rizzotti?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wow. Wisconsin's move was kind of surprising. Watching this Illinois game, I might have to change my mind on Coach Fahey.
Perhaps surprising only because his initial 5-year contract (set to expire this year, ironically) was extended two years ago until 2024.

Similarly, the Illinois AD granted Fahey a vote of confidence via extension last year, but gotta think if results don't improve at least somewhat next season, she could be following Tsipis out the door.

Reaction Score
Perhaps surprising only because his initial 5-year contract (set to expire this year, ironically) was extended two years ago until 2024.

Similarly, the Illinois AD granted Fahey a vote of confidence via extension last year, but gotta think if results don't improve at least somewhat next season, she could be following Tsipis out the door.
Is it a vote of confidence or just the need to avoid the appearance of being dead coach walking? Don’t see how you can recruit unless your contract lasts for a few more years.

Don’t schools usually just extend but reduce the buyout?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Surprised that Nebraska fired their coach only because he had been given an extension through 2024 but predicted as much based on the above. Illinois has done even worse but will probably keep coach for another year or two (her contract was extended to 2025) but that wont change the numbers above - they are on a trajectory of continued failure.
Um, Amy Williams is the coach at Nebraska and she was not fired. She arrived from South Dakota and has not done great at Husker U. Did you mean Tsipis?

Regarding Whalen, I have no recollection of your comments but I too noted that her stellar 12-0 start her first year was solely due to Marlene Stollings "cupcake" scheduling and Marlene's decent roster that Lindsey inherited. The dope of an AD didn't understand the nuances and immediately extended Whalen in February of that first year.

Two our fine colleagues will vouch for my comments on both Whalen and Williams...ahem @nwhoopfan @Plebe

I likewise would also say the Tsipis successor has failed mightily at what was the basketball power in the A-10. She may be in trouble when her contract expires. We are bound by affiliation to not mention former Husky's in bad light by their name...but her last name is like a nice Italian Risotto... just sayin'

Reaction Score

Um, Amy Williams is the coach at Nebraska and she was not fired. She arrived from South Dakota and has not done great at Husker U. Did you mean Tsipis?
Lol! My bad! Yes, I meant Tsipis at Wisconsin. Although you are correct about Nebraska. Whalen has made use of the 3 top-100 recruits she has brought in thus far but her highest recruit was #68 (hoopgurlz) and with their present roster I don't see much improvement happening. I also don't see many top transfers knocking on her door. It will get ugly. Sorry that I missed your earlier evaluations of her.....
I know you don't put Banghart on this list and I don't either but I still say she underachieved this year. Her wins came mostly at the beginning of the year when she was beating all the wimpy non-conference teams.They seem to have N.C. State's number and that's a big rivalry game but I will give her the blowout over Syracuse, and the late wins over G.T. and V.T. but losing that first game in the ACCT was exactly what happened the year before. J. Bailey was her overall best player and she benefited from the return of Watts and the transfer Holesinska. All 3 will be gone next year. She does have another couple of good transfers coming in and a great recruiting class but I would not expect a change to come until 2022/23 season. If we don't see it by then we'll know. I've watched many games where they kept jacking up 3's (and missing) even when they had a distinct advantage with Bailey at center (the two losses to Miami as example). That is coaching...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
GG would be a good choice for UW. But I'd much prefer to see her get Purdue.
Purdue has a much stronger tradition of winning so I'd expect it to be an easier program to turn around than Wisconsin who has been primarily a Big Ten bottom feeder for almost 20 years now. I hope Wisconsin can get a decent hire to make the program somewhat competitive. They've been striking out hard lately and have missed out on all of the talented players in state (Ogunbowale, Sidney Cooks, Gustafson, Warnock, Lexi Donarski)

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Purdue has a much stronger tradition of winning so I'd expect it to be an easier program to turn around than Wisconsin who has been primarily a Big Ten bottom feeder for almost 20 years now. I hope Wisconsin can get a decent hire to make the program somewhat competitive. They've been striking out hard lately and have missed out on all of the talented players in state (Ogunbowale, Sidney Cooks, Gustafson, Warnock, Lexi Donarski)
With the Boilermakers flaming out last night, if a move is going to be made it should happen over the next day or so. Anyone have an idea if the Purdue fan site (does one even exist?) has commentary about Ms Versyp?
To me, it’s time to move on.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
With the Boilermakers flaming out last night, if a move is going to be made it should happen over the next day or so. Anyone have an idea if the Purdue fan site (does one even exist?) has commentary about Ms Versyp?
To me, it’s time to move on.

I've had an interesting give and take with a Purdue fan who had been looking over Purdue boards and he said that several posters thought a decision on Versyp had already been made and a Purdue alum would take over.
To me, that sounds like Austin Parkinson at IUPUI, the former guard for the Guys team who has run the IUPUI program for a decade and won two Horizon League tourneys (came in 2nd this year).
(If I find that post, either here or on the Bench, I'll cut and paste...)

Reaction Score
Here's some links to the Purdue boards mentioned .....

There's also a board at OldGoldFreePress.com Purdue Basketball and Football Information, Recruiting, and Forums

Not much love for Versyp at any of these right now, these boards tend to heat up around this time of the season looking for her to be replaced.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've had an interesting give and take with a Purdue fan who had been looking over Purdue boards and he said that several posters thought a decision on Versyp had already been made and a Purdue alum would take over.
To me, that sounds like Austin Parkinson at IUPUI, the former guard for the Guys team who has run the IUPUI program for a decade and won two Horizon League tourneys (came in 2nd this year).
(If I find that post, either here or on the Bench, I'll cut and paste...)
One of the posters who claimed to have inside info on the new Purdue hire has went on 1 of the boards claiming it was to be Stephanie White coming (back) to Purdue. Apparently though she is staying at Vanderbilt according to news reports from there. I loved Steph as a high school and Purdue player, but her coaching career hasn't won me over at the collegiate or WNBA level.

I'd guess Versyp is going to hang around for 1 more year. I'd still make a call to Duffy and see what it would cost to get her, her price is probably only going to continue to rise each year.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
.....I'd guess Versyp is going to hang around for 1 more year. I'd still make a call to Duffy and see what it would cost to get her, her price is probably only going to continue to rise each year.
What make sure you say she will be sticking around? I mean it’s not like her recruiting improved #57 and #93 for 2021 or this team was young and showed improvement during the year. This was an upperclassman dominated roster with only 2 Soph and 2 Freshman. Wash, rinse, repeat....

Reaction Score
What make sure you say she will be sticking around? I mean it’s not like her recruiting improved #57 and #93 for 2021 or this team was young and showed improvement during the year. This was an upperclassman dominated roster with only 2 Soph and 2 Freshman. Wash, rinse, repeat....
It's just a hunch, the AD has been slow to pull the trigger on her and her contract. Plus if White was the 1st option, I'd hate to ask what the backup plan is. Although I'm sure Versyp has by now caught wind of this supposed intent to hire White, maybe she just resigns. Anyway you look at it, it's a mess.

Reaction Score
Official: Rizzotti out at GW.

Reaction Score
Indiana St and Siena as well

Who said there'd be no coaching changes this year? Already up to 17. Surely more to come plus backfills that will come as coaches move up to take the higher profile openings.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sounds like Washington and their staff have parted ways, as well.
Linky? Wow, did not expect them to pull the trigger, but it was time. Probably will lose some transfers and maybe some of their incoming recruits, but Wynn was going nowhere, regardless of how much time they gave her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom