Coaching Hot Seat 2021 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat 2021

Reaction Score
I'm guessing most hot seat coaches will get a pass due to covid. Probably wouldn't be the best PR move to fire a coach in a non-revenue sport this offseason.
I agree...except at Purdue. Sharon Versyp took a program with a National Championship, who was a perennial top-10 team and an upper echelon B1G team to below mediocrity. She should've been fired 5 years ago. It's sad that Purdue cares so little about women's hoops that they've let this go on this long.

Covid or not, she needs to be replaced. .

Reaction Score
6 years is a long time to wait for a coach that isn't getting the job done. I looked at coaching records for all of the current Pac 12 coaches (that's the conference I know best). For the ones that I would call successful, most took off by year 3 or 4, only 1 (Charli Turner Thorne) took 5 years. Well, Cori Close was up and down thru 4 years and then took off in year 5. Trakh, Payne and Roberts haven't risen above mediocre at best, they are in year 4, 5 and 6. I see no reason to think any of the 3 is going to significantly improve the situation of their school in the future. My feelings about Wynn are well known. She's in year 4 and I cannot see her being successful, thus far she has BY FAR the worst record in school history. Ethridge in year 3 is still wait and see, but at least they are trending in the right direction. Smith is only in year 2, but it has been a DISMAL 2 years, even worse than Wynn.

In particular, I look at recent examples Rueck, Graves and Barnes. All 3 took over bad situations. All had at least 1 20+ win season and deep run in the NIT within the first 3 years. All 3 had really taken off by year 4 if not sooner.

That's only 1 conference, but to me it seems pretty clear you gotta show you can turn a program around and start winning fairly early on, or you're never going to.
Would you say that your timeline for a coach to improve and turn a program around is 4 years?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Would you say that your timeline for a coach to improve and turn a program around is 4 years?
Yeah, you have to see SOMETHING moving in the right direction within 4 years.

Reaction Score
VA Huskie: stick with the courage of your convictions (the first post). Tina Thompson should be under a very focused microscope. Remember, as much as my esteemed colleague DefenseBB and I disagree over the overall acumen of former Yahoo Coach Joanne Boyle, Coach J left the incoming UVA coach a team with a 19-14 record and the three sophomores that helped propel it: Jocelyn Willoughby, Domnique Toussaint and Lisa Jablonowski.

New (and first time in the top spot) AD Carla Williams -- from Georgia -- came in and took longtime assistant (and big name) Tina Thompson, from another football-first state school, Texas. Thompson coached the bigs and had recruiting connection to the Houston area, but the hire always felt forced to a number of us. UVA has always lived and died on the I-95 circuit (Willoughby from NJ, Toussaint from NY).

Still, she has those three sophs. What happened? 12-19 in 2018-19. Hmm. Ok, getting used to the hot seat and the ACC. In 2019-20, they went 13-17 (8-10 in ACC), which some saw as improvement from the prior year, but remember, this same bunch made post-season play as sophomores. Individually, they didnt' get worse...Willoughby played her way into the WNBA.

(BTW, the main reason Shemera Williams even spent a cup of coffee at UVA is that Carolyn Kieger left Marquette for Penn State. Rather than stay at Marquette or follow Kieger to Penn State, Williams went to what was viewed her 2nd choice: UVA.)

So the core three are graduated and then Shemera Williams, the key recruit and Kylie Kornegay Lucas both hit the road. UVA had to scramble to get enough players on the roster under the best of circumstances. Then COVID and injuries hit to -- almost mercifully -- end an 0-5 start.

Like you, I don't see any recruits coming in and I have not been overwhelmed by the pre-game planning. (On the other hand, they're just trying to get kids on the court.)

AD Williams has also walked into a good situation with many established, top-flight programs (men's hoops and lacrosse, women's soccer and swimming, among them). This initial move of hers should get one more year in my humble opinion or UVA is going to fall further behind new coaches at UNC, GT and Duke in the ACC and established programs like Maryland that also prey on I-95 talent.

Nothing against the sisters Thompson: this is just a bad match of program to coach.
I have to say that I’m in awe of your knowledge of a program you’re not even a fan of. Kudos to you sir. And thanks for sharing your expertise.
I’m not backing off my initial comments and couldn’t agree more with everything you’ve said. I’d love to see Tina work out, and maybe 3 years is too soon to throw in the towel. But I see no hope on the horizon. She needs a Rebecca Lobo type of recruit. Someone who can help define her program and help bring in more top recruits.
I do believe that AD Williams, particularly with her basketball background, will do the right thing.

Reaction Score
COVID or not, Auburn and Vandy need to make moves -- especially Auburn. Vandy, at least, is out there recruiting some reasonable talent in some positions. They just can't coach effectively or keep their kids healthy. Auburn's recruiting has really bottomed out.

Reaction Score

but to me it seems pretty clear you gotta show you can turn a program around and start winning fairly early on, or you're never going to.
Sometimes early success is misleading (winning with the recruits of the previous coach) and sometimes early "failure" is misleading (losing when the cupboard is left bare by the previous coach). When Nell Fortner took over at Auburn her first two years were mediocre (expected) followed by three seasons of 20+ winning seasons and improving tournament performance. The next three years were back to mediocrity. So is she a good coach or not? Or was it because her success coincided with the play of the great DeWanna Bonner? Agnus Berenato took over a terrible Pitt program in 2003. Losing seasons first two years followed by four 20+ win seasons (including two sweet 16 finishes) and then four years of worsening performance (winless in conference final two years). So does that make her a good coach or a bad coach? There are a lot of factors involved in turning around a program and with most P5 conferences having 5 or 6 talent-laden teams consistently at the top it is becoming increasingly difficult for a coach to turn around a program that quickly.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Sometimes early success is misleading (winning with the recruits of the previous coach) and sometimes early "failure" is misleading (losing when the cupboard is left bare by the previous coach). When Nell Fortner took over at Auburn her first two years were mediocre (expected) followed by three seasons of 20+ winning seasons and improving tournament performance. The next three years were back to mediocrity. So is she a good coach or not? Or was it because her success coincided with the play of the great DeWanna Bonner? Agnus Berenato took over a terrible Pitt program in 2003. Losing seasons first two years followed by four 20+ win seasons (including two sweet 16 finishes) and then four years of worsening performance (winless in conference final two years). So does that make her a good coach or a bad coach? There are a lot of factors involved in turning around a program and with most P5 conferences having 5 or 6 talent-laden teams consistently at the top it is becoming increasingly difficult for a coach to turn around a program that quickly.
Yeah, there are a lot of factors, it can get complicated trying to say a coach is simply "good" or "bad." And it can change over time. Or change when the coach moves from one job to another. Probably too many examples to start listing them. Also coaches can have ups and downs, a lull for a year or two can happen.

Reaction Score
Coach Yo? She inherited a team with almost 0 players and the first year was rough. Now year 3 and they're out of the SEC basement. I think she's done quite well given that.
It may be too early to judge Coach Yo but her second season was worse than her first (9-22,3-13 /7-23,0-16) and so far this year is 9-9,3-9. Do you think they are going to win either of their remaining games at SC and at Ky ? She is a great recruiter no doubt (her freshman class was considered the best in the SEC) and adding transfer S.Austin has been a huge boost but they lost their last 6 games in 2019, the last 17 in 2020, and likely 4 of their last 6 this year. The end of the season is when you have to show some improvement. No top 100 recruits for 2021 and nothing so far for 2022....

Reaction Score
Yeah, there are a lot of factors, it can get complicated trying to say a coach is simply "good" or "bad." And it can change over time. Or change when the coach moves from one job to another. Probably too many examples to start listing them. Also coaches can have ups and downs, a lull for a year or two can happen.
Agreed, my friend. To reach true success (imo 20+ wins/season,double-digit conference wins, making the big dance most years,sometimes reaching the sweet 16) requires consistency in coaching and recruiting. A good coach can only do so much without top 100 talent. I think ASU has a good coach but this season they are 5-9 in conference (9th) ?! A new coach coming in to the Pac-12 , even with a solid freshmen recruiting class can't be expected to do better than 20-10, 9-9 by the time they're seniors in 4 years and that kind of freshman recruiting class is highly unlikely first year for a number of reasons. Even then, that class would need to be followed up with more good recruiting classes to have continued success. If a team finishes 7th or 8th in the conference year after year is that good enough? In order for one school to rise another must fall. Will it be Stanford? Oregon? Arizona? Oregon State? UCLA? Arizona State? Not likely. There are some conferences where a new coach might break through (Big Ten and especially the Big12)but for most getting above 7th or 8th place in conference would be a real coaching feat!

Reaction Score
Auburn's season just ended at 5-19. 0 wins in the SEC; losses in the non conference to Houston, Stephen F. Austin and Belmont. Now they graduate their leading scorer and rebounder (Unique Thompson). Does Auburn's coach return for next year?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Auburn's season just ended at 5-19. 0 wins in the SEC; losses in the non conference to Houston, Stephen F. Austin and Belmont. Now they graduate their leading scorer and rebounder (Unique Thompson). Does Auburn's coach return for next year?
Yes

Reaction Score
Colorado?

I can't believe Wynn has a 6 year contract. I don't expect they'll pull the trigger now, but if next year is more of the same, it has to be her last season. There's just no way to justify keeping a coach winning well under 20% of her conference games.
JR is safe at Colorado but she needs to improve recruiting. If the men van recruit top players, she should be able to as well. After all, Boulder is consistently ranked as the No.1 place to live.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
JR is safe at Colorado
25-63 in conference in 5 years. Expectations must be pretty low for that to be considered acceptable.

Reaction Score
I very much doubt that we'll see any coaching terminations in WBB until after next season, assuming we're past this pandemic for the most part. At that point I think most on the lists mentioned above would not have their contracts renewed. Same for those expiring in 2023. Too early for the rest on the list but it's not looking good. As for Coach Yo she will finish only one win better in conference and overall than in her first year (barring an upset over Arkansas). She only loses one starter to graduation but it will be the last year with Shakira Austin and no top ranked recruits coming in so she better make the most of next season.....unless she pulls in some as yet unknown top player as a transfer.

Reaction Score
I am wondering about Sue Semrau at FSU. She was on an expired contract with no word of an extension. Then all the coaches had to take a pay cut due to loss of revenue over covid. Then she left for the season to take care of her ailing mother which is admirable but her assistant (Brooke Wyckoff) took over and has done a pretty good job including an upset win over Louisville. They have all but one player on the roster returning and two top 100 recruits coming in. Maybe she's considering retiring or maybe FSU will make the decision for her like Duke did with their coach by not offering an extension. What do you all think?

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I am wondering about Sue Semrau at FSU. She was on an expired contract with no word of an extension. Then all the coaches had to take a pay cut due to loss of revenue over covid. Then she left for the season to take care of her ailing mother which is admirable but her assistant (Brooke Wyckoff) took over and has done a pretty good job including an upset win over Louisville. They have all but one player on the roster returning and two top 100 recruits coming in. Maybe she's considering retiring or maybe FSU will make the decision for her like Duke did with their coach by not offering an extension. What do you all think?
Nothing against Marynell Meadors...but Sue Semrau IS FSU; she has built that program into what it is today, which is light years ahead of what it was when she started. I suspect Semrau can do whatever she wants, and if that means continuing to coach FSU, so be it.

Maybe the FSU fans can chime in and let us know what the vibe is.

Reaction Score
Do you think this is because they are basically paying Malzahn to be the FB coach at UCF, or is there actual faith that Coach Flo can turn it around? If it's the latter, I worry about the Auburn athletics leadership.

Reaction Score
I’m actually not surprised actually even with COVID

Seems like both parties handled it well and knew changes were needed. Classy by both ends.
"This year was full of unexpected challenges. Coach Flo, her staff and our student-athletes should be commended for their attitude and effort in the face of disruption and adversity," Greene said. "Our women's basketball program under Coach Flo's leadership consistently represented Auburn with class on and off the court, and we are grateful for her nine years of dedicated service to our student-athletes and the Auburn Family. We wish her the very best in her future endeavors."

"I am grateful for the opportunity to have served Auburn University and the women's basketball program for the past nine seasons," Williams-Flournoy said. "It was a great honor and privilege and an experience I will cherish. I will forever be appreciative of our staff and student-athletes during our tenure and the way each represented Auburn with class and dignity. As a change in leadership was determined, I would like to thank President Gogue and Allen Greene for their trust in my leadership over my time here. Auburn will always hold a special place in my heart."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, who does Auburn go after?

Goestenkors? McAllie? Langley? Agugua-Hamilton? Smesko? Aston? (I heard Aston is angling for Kansas...)

Reaction Score
So, who does Auburn go after?

Goestenkors? McAllie? Langley? Agugua-Hamilton? Smesko? Aston? (I heard Aston is angling for Kansas...)
McCallie is an interesting choice since she got her start as assistant at .... Auburn!
GG should wait for Purdue. She started there, she's from the upper midwest. Perfect fit. Deep South would be a disaster.
I think Smesko can do better. Or he can wait for the FL guy to flame out in a couple of years.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
McCallie is an interesting choice since she got her start as assistant at .... Auburn!
GG should wait for Purdue. She started there, she's from the upper midwest. Perfect fit. Deep South would be a disaster.
I think Smesko can do better. Or he can wait for the FL guy to flame out in a couple of years.
I'd love to see GG land at Purdue!

Reaction Score
Me neither. She had 10 years, and they clearly are going in the wrong direction.
Funny enough, Vandy's decision to cancel the season may have saved White but killed Flo.
Honestly you may be right. I have more respect for Flo as her team didn't quit, got better to end the year and played hard. They literally had no talent outside of two players on that roster but those kids gave it everything they had.

If LSU doesn't make the NCAAT, I would not be shocked them pull the plug either, especially if Pointer doesn't return. At that point, might as well rip the bandaid off.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Honestly you may be right. I have more respect for Flo as her team didn't quit, got better to end the year and played hard. They literally had no talent outside of two players on that roster but those kids gave it everything they had.

If LSU doesn't make the NCAAT, I would not be shocked them pull the plug either, especially if Pointer doesn't return. At that point, might as well rip the bandaid off.
Nikki was coaching her rear end off today. Her body language today screamed "Secbbfan24 on the BY wants to see offense! Secbbfan24 on the BY wants to see defense! Well, here they both are. We are going to be wedded together in WCBB bliss for many years yet to come!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom