CBSSports.com Top 25 and 1 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

CBSSports.com Top 25 and 1

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Somewhere deep down inside I get a reoccurring question; Has everyone forgotten Samson Johnson? Remember the guy who was supposed to make Alex Karaban the best 6th man in the BE.

Reaction Score
Somewhere deep down inside I get a reoccurring question; Has everyone forgotten Samson Johnson? Remember the guy who was supposed to make Alex Karaban the best 6th man in the BE.
The amout of people on this board who believe Samson would have started over Karaban when both were heathly is truly staggering. Like mindblown.gif stuff.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Found this interesting:

Highest ranking 4
Lowest ranking 13

Lots of 8-11 rankings

Reaction Score
Would be cool to see how/if these speculations change if we're lucky enough to get a Spencer commit..

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
They clearly messed up badly not ranking UConn preseason last year. Our preseason ranking this year shouldn't have anything to do with them blowing it last year.
"Not ranked in the Top 10" is the new "Not ranked in the Top 25."

Reaction Score
Top 15 is generous considering who we lost. The freshmen will need time to adjust, and DC will need to adjust to being the main guy at Center. Both will take time.

I expect we will be top ten in February and beyond.
That speaks to the oddity of preseason rankings. Up until first games the rankings are the projection of where everyone thinks teams will be at END of season. Once games start it immediately shifts to snapshot of where they are right NOW. So I think you are right, UConn might not be top 10 immediately and is likely to have some ups and downs.
As champs returning a decent # of contributors, the 23-24 Huskies have more ballast (internal & external perception) to start high and stay in top-25. The floor & ceiling depends on the newcomers. Europe trip will be telling and is HUGE for recreating cohesion, comes at exact right time following the 3 NBA exits. Hopefully we are saying WOW about a couple of the newcomers and no limits on what team can be ranked or achieve.

Reaction Score
That speaks to the oddity of preseason rankings. Up until first games the rankings are the projection of where everyone thinks teams will be at END of season. Once games start it immediately shifts to snapshot of where they are right NOW. So I think you are right, UConn might not be top 10 immediately and is likely to have some ups and downs.
As champs returning a decent # of contributors, the 23-24 Huskies have more ballast (internal & external perception) to start high and stay in top-25. The floor & ceiling depends on the newcomers. Europe trip will be telling and is HUGE for recreating cohesion, comes at exact right time following the 3 NBA exits. Hopefully we are saying WOW about a couple of the newcomers and no limits on what team can be ranked or achieve.
I think preseason rankings are useless.

Reaction Score
I think preseason rankings are useless.
Pre-season rankings are pretty good measures of team talent/potential+infrastructure. Not perfect, but actually capture team ceiling/upside better than midseason/end of season polls. We were the exception last season.

UConn was unranked last season (well just, we were 27th), but we basically went 6/6 on development:
1) Karaban freshman hit.
2) Clingan massive freshman hit,
3) Jackson development as passer/"point guard".
4) Sanogo added outside shot and improved passing.
5) Hawkins massive improvement in basically all areas.
6) Newton game translated up competition level.

Only thing that didn't really develop as hoped was Jackson's outside shot.

Reaction Score
Pre-season rankings are pretty good measures of team talent/potential+infrastructure. Not perfect, but actually capture team ceiling/upside better than midseason/end of season polls. We were the exception last season.

UConn was unranked last season (well just, we were 27th), but we basically went 6/6 on development:
1) Karaban freshman hit.

We were unranked and went on to win every non- conference game by double-digits, and lost only once on a neutral court while dominating the advanced metrics. Conversely, UNC was preseason #1 and didn't make the tourney. Those rankings are useless to until about 10 games into the season.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

1) Karaban freshman hit.

I'd add a 7th: the additional inbound transfers were a net improvement over the outbound transfers.

Reaction Score
We were unranked and went on to win every non- conference game by double-digits, and lost only once on a neutral court while dominating the advanced metrics. Conversely, UNC was preseason #1 and didn't make the tourney. Those rankings are useless to until about 10 games into the season.
The pre-season poll is more predictive of the champ than the final ap poll.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Honestly I think I’m with @aburks41 for once. If we were Duke or Kentucky, with this starting lineup, coming off a national championship, on top of a top 3 recruiting class, we’d be moved to the number 1 spot after landing Spencer. Dan is not getting the proper respect he, and this program, deserve.

Reaction Score

Honestly I think I’m with @aburks41 for once. If we were Duke or Kentucky, with this starting lineup, coming off a national championship, on top of a top 3 recruiting class, we’d be moved to the number 1 spot after landing Spencer. Dan is not getting the proper respect he, and this program, deserve.

National press has always been biased vs UConn and their achievements. DH will take full advantage of this trend at the appropriate time this season as he did last year.. Chip on the shoulder kind of attitude. Hasn't stopped us before from being successful.. Fuel on the fire..

Reaction Score

Thank you

Reaction Score

Do people really think the projected starting 5 for Kansas is signifcantly better or better at all than UConn's projected starting 5?

Dajuan Harris, Nick Timberlake, Kevin McCullar, KJ Adams, Hunter Dickinson

Stephon Castle, Tristen Newton, Cam Spencer, Alex Karaban, Donovan Clingan

Kansas is the consensus #1 and UConn seems to be around top 10ish. It seems a bit strange.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Do people really think the projected starting 5 for Kansas is signifcantly better or better at all than UConn's projected starting 5?

Dajuan Harris, Nick Timberlake, Kevin McCullar, KJ Adams, Hunter Dickinson

Stephon Castle, Tristen Newton, Cam Spencer, Alex Karaban, Donovan Clingan

Kansas is the consensus #1 and UConn seems to be around top 10ish. It seems a bit strange.
I really don’t. It’s a good starting 5, and I’d understand anyone who has them top 5 with Self as coach. But I’m really struggling to understand why it’s projected to be much better than our lineup?

Reaction Score
UConn moves up 3 spots to #8 with the commitment of Cam Spencer. St. John's moves into the rankings at #26. 5 Big east teams now in.

There have been other notable developments since Version 16.0 of the Top 25 And 1 published 11 days ago — most notably former Rutgers standout Cam Spencer announcing he's transferring to UConn while former Toledo standout RayJ Dennis announced he's transferring to Baylor. As a result, the Huskies and Bears have moved up in the Top 25 And 1 — specifically to No. 8 (UConn) and No. 18 (Baylor).

Reaction Score
I've actually been pretty pleased, there's been a healthy amount of different views on number one this year. Kansas might be number one in a consensus, I'm not sure, probably depends which sources you aggregate, But it seems like a pretty tight top four (Kansas, Duke, Michigan St, Purdue) and then we're in the next group (Marquette, UConn, Creighton, FAU, Miami, Houston).

Reaction Score
I've actually been pretty pleased, there's been a healthy amount of different views on number one this year. Kansas might be number one in a consensus, I'm not sure, probably depends which sources you aggregate, But it seems like a pretty tight top four (Kansas, Duke, Michigan St, Purdue) and then we're in the next group (Marquette, UConn, Creighton, FAU, Miami, Houston).
2 big 10 teams? Wait until they flame out in the tournament

Reaction Score
UConn goes from a "chip on the shoulder" about being unranked in 2022 preseason to another "chip on the shoulder" about being marginally in the top 10 in 2023. It is a good situation. The Dickenson-Clingan matchup early in the year will dictate where UConn will settle in the polls leading into the BE season. Clingan has not faced the pressure of being "the man". UConn fans are going to miss the safety net and comfort of Sanogo's inside game. I think the BE will be more of a grind this year than last.

Reaction Score
Conference Breakdown is pretty even

Big East - 5 teams
SEC - 4 teams
ACC, B1G, Big 12 - 3 teams
AAC, PAC-12, and West Coast - 2 teams ((FAU added to AAC)
Mountain West - 1 team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom