2020 Recruiting: - Cam Thomas Visiting October 11 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Cam Thomas Visiting October 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
why do you say that? Lane's a SG and Jackson's a SF, so it's not as if they cant or wont wanna play together. any two of lane, jackson, thomas, or kadary can play together. if i had to assign positions thomas is a 2, jackson is a 3, and both lane and kadary can play either spot on the wing

You can call them whatever you want. Both are the same size (6'5"-6'6" 195) and are athletic guys who project as strong defenders. Both have some limitations as shooters from what I have seen. Note we also have Bouknight at that size, and he's a shooter. So Lane and Jackson would absolutely be fighting each other for minutes at the 3. If Cam comes here I doubt either sees much time at the SG spot behind Cam, Bouk and Gaffney (who will split between 1 and 2 but can't play 3). Then add Sid and Adams to the mix at the 3.

Long story short, these guys have options and I expect that they'd avoid coming into a situation that was that crowded at the wing. Now I do think Cam is different, because he's a two and done, and is a pure SG. Since Bouk can move to the 3, I'm sure he's confident he can play day 1. If either Lane or Jackson was 6'7" 220 and wing, I think that would be a different story. That's a flex 3-4 position player.

Reaction Score
You can call them whatever you want. Both are the same size (6'5"-6'6" 195) and are athletic guys who project as strong defenders. Both have some limitations as shooters from what I have seen. Note we also have Bouknight at that size, and he's a shooter. So Lane and Jackson would absolutely be fighting each other for minutes at the 3. If Cam comes here I doubt either sees much time at the SG spot behind Cam, Bouk and Gaffney (who will split between 1 and 2 but can't play 3). Then add Sid and Adams to the mix at the 3.

Long story short, these guys have options and I expect that they'd avoid coming into a situation that was that crowded at the wing. Now I do think Cam is different, because he's a two and done, and is a pure SG. Since Bouk can move to the 3, I'm sure he's confident he can play day 1. If either Lane or Jackson was 6'7" 220 and wing, I think that would be a different story. That's a flex 3-4 position player.

Agreed. Cam is starting and playing big minutes at about 345/352 schools in America. He's just that good. Lane/Jackson/Richmond are very different players in terms of skill-set, but really project to play the same spot defensively, which ultimately means the playing time would be limited if two are committed. Assuming we get Cam, between Richmond/Lane/Jackson, I think we get one of them. Even if we get Cam committed, it's a hard sell to the second of those three, though it might be doable.

Reaction Score
Long story short

but the objective from day one has been to sign 3 recruits in this class (1 center and 2 wings). so no matter which 2 wings we get they would be competing with each other and Bouknight (primarily) for playing time- even thomas and jackson. this is both unavoidable and a good thing!

if cliff came here he would be coming off the bench too and he's a higher ranked 4* player than jackson, lane, or richmond

schools like UK have 5* guys coming off the bench for cryn out loud, this isnt anywhere near that level. having said that, if we are lucky enough to get thomas then i agree that he and bouk would have the starting wing spots locked down. in that case i wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with only a 2-recruit class

Last edited:
Reaction Score
so jackson and lane arent committing in the next 2.5 weeks. you heard it here first folks.
I didn't take that from his comment at all. I took it to mean that ALL of the commitments you've built into your scenario, along with your chronology, are unlikely to happen as you outlined. That wasn't stating that two specific players are not committing here, as you suggest.

Reaction Score
I didn't take that from his comment at all. I took it to mean that ALL of the commitments you've built into your scenario, along with your chronology, are unlikely to happen as you outlined. That wasn't stating that two specific players are not committing here, as you suggest.

what do you mean ALL the commitments i built into my scenario? it was based on 2 commitments- jackson and lane committing here in the next 2.5 weeks which is when cam thomas takes his OV.

in response chief said not to worry. soooooo logically he must be implying that jackson and lane arent gonna commit here in the next 2.5 weeks. i didnt suggest they will never commit.

Reaction Score
what do you mean ALL the commitments i built into my scenario? it was based on 2 commitments- jackson and lane committing here in the next 2.5 weeks which is when cam thomas takes his OV.

in response chief said not to worry. soooooo logically he must be implying that jackson and lane arent gonna commit here in the next 2.5 weeks. i didnt suggest they will never commit.
It's not that they're not both committing in the next 2.5 weeks, they're not both committing here in the next 2.5 weeks

Reaction Score
It's not that they're not both committing in the next 2.5 weeks, they're not both committing here in the next 2.5 weeks

if that's what @2Infinity is trying to get at then ok cause that's how i meant it in my initial post

so jackson and lane arent committing [here] in the next 2.5 weeks.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
but the objective from day one has been to sign 3 recruits in this class (1 center and 2 wings). so no matter which 2 wings we get they would be competing with each other and Bouknight (primarily) for playing time. this is both unavoidable and a good thing!

if cliff came here he would be coming off the bench too and he's a higher ranked 4* player than jackson, lane, or richmond

schools like UK have 5* guys coming off the bench for cryn out loud, this isnt anywhere near that level. having said that, if we are lucky enough to get thomas then i agree that he and bouk would have the starting wing spots locked down. in that case i wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with only a 2-recruit class

I don't see it. They are too similar. If one was great shooter and the other an athlete, maybe. If we had a "wing" who was a SF/stretch 4 I think that kind of player could come in with one of Jackson/Lane/Richmond. I agree competition is good, but a player may be reluctant to commit when another player with a similar size and game has already committed.

We have two truly open spots. I think those are dedicated to Wing and Center if at all possible. Cam is "best player available" recruiting, in place of AG. We aren't quite recruiting at the UK and Duke level where people are coming here no matter what. I don't think Cam would scare off Jackson/Lane, because he's a two year player most likely and he has a different game.

Reaction Score
It’s getting to the point where bendm is derailing every recruiting thread talking about his daydreams of how the entire class will end up. Not great

i'm derailing a recruiting thread by discussing recruiting?

when i started posting here almost 1 year ago i was optimistic and enthusiastic. i day-dreamed about great recruiting classes when i was bored at work, which was/is often. but then i started getting shot down for it. i was told to stop wasting my time and breath even though i have plenty of both to spare. eventually it wore me down to the point where i became bitter and jaded like many of the old grumpy people here. so i started expressing my fears and concerns instead. even though i never called for anyone to be fired (like several others did during the hysteric board meltdown 2 weeks ago) somehow the backlash for that was even more severe. so now i've come full circle. i'm trying to be happy and optimistic again. but low and behold, the criticisms keep coming no matter what i say!

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

when i started posting here almost 1 year ago i was optimistic and enthusiastic. i day-dreamed about great recruiting classes when i was bored at work, which was/is often. but then i started getting shot down for it. i was told to stop wasting my time and breath even though i have plenty of both to spare. eventually it wore me down to the point where i became bitter and jaded like many of the old grumpy people here. so i started expressing my fears and concerns instead. even though i never called for anyone to be fired (like several others did during the hysteric board meltdown 2 weeks ago) somehow the backlash for that was even more severe. so now i've come full circle. i'm trying to be happy and optimistic again. but low and behold, the criticisms keep coming no matter what i say!
Not trying to be harsh. You don’t have to be bitter and jaded but you don’t have a good feel for things a lot of the time.

Reaction Score
Not trying to be harsh. You don’t have to be bitter and jaded but you don’t have a good feel for things a lot of the time.

i dont think ive ever made an actual prognostication regarding what might happen, i just express opinions and hopes and fears and discuss hypothetical scenarios within the realm of possibility, and of course debate other points of view. isnt that the lane i should stay in as an 'outsider'?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
it's last thread i'll ever inadvertently derail here

Reaction Score
you're no fun. there's a fascinating potential scenario in play. let's say jackson commits here on 9/30 after his iowa visit and lane commits on 10/8. at that point Thomas hasn't even arrived for his OV yet....

what then? center is our biggest need but how can you turn cam away if he's ready to verbal and cliff isnt a sure thing? either way this stuff is fun to think about no matter what you say.
I wouldn’t lose any sleep worrying about that scenario.
so jackson and lane arent committing [here] in the next 2.5 weeks. you heard it here first folks.

So you outline a scenario where Jackson and Lane verbal and then a third, Thomas, is here and ready to verbal..so what do we do then?!? Chief responds and says he wouldn't worry about that scenario happening. You take that to specifically mean that BOTH of the first two won't be committing?? That is one HUGE stretch and not accurate at all!

It's one thing to disagree with someone when they suggest that the various pieces of a scenario may not come to pass. However, in no way was he responding that ALL three verbals will not occur (and there were three potential verbals discussed by you). It only takes one link in a chain to fail in order for the whole chain to fail. That could be one of the verbals not occurring OR the timing of one of them to be off. It wasn't him suggesting that two of the verbals would not happen, it was you and then you tried to pin that comment on him. That is really weak man!

Reaction Score

You need to capitalize your I's and all will be forgiven.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Will revisit Cam closer to his OV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member