2023 Recruiting: - Cam Spencer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Cam Spencer

Reaction Score
Lot of the NIL money numbers are just made up, its though to say what is actually going in student athletes pocket.

We have it verified that Timberlake was looking for 500k and we couldn't match Kansas. I don't think we'll get specific numbers past that.

Right now, NIL is the wild west, and we haven't reached an equilibrium for player "value." I doubt someone like Timberlake would get 500k in 10 years. Give it a few seasons, and I think the baseline for what you need to offer kids will be more clear.

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see where UConn's visit falls among the four listed by Goodman once they start happening..

NIL is a moving target that is evolving on a daily/weekly/monthly basis until or unless the NCAA provides better clarity and structure.. UConn as a long-term player will figure it out.. They are not always the first to get to the craps table and roll the dice. They have an excellent Masters portfolio of courses for the "serious" student athlete/graduate portal recruit and a strong alumni network and brand after their playing career is done.. Our Program's success in BB speaks for itself.. We win when we get to the Big Dance..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can anyone quantify or guess what those NIL numbers would be for him at Uconn vs Miami or is this a total guessing game?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Can anyone quantify or guess what those NIL numbers would be for him at Uconn vs Miami or is this a total guessing game?
That’s my worry specifically. Our NIL is competitive but Miami is one of those schools that goes all out in an unreasonable way.

Last year Nigel Pack got 800,000 and two cars as a transfer.

They’re also coming off back to back elite 8 appearances so they’ve been doing a good job winning themselves as well.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why so many posters think we can't compete with NIL money. Just because we lost one guy to Kansas of all places? We're still able to put together nice packages to go along with exception coaching, recruiting success, player development, and defending a national championship.

Can't get excited for a guy who fills our biggest gap and averaged 13/4/3 in the Big Ten on 44/43/90 shooting splits? The last UConn player to average 2+ threes a game with 43%+ efficiency was Ben Gordon in 2004. Spencer was 5th in the entire B10 in win shares, 4th in box +/-, 5th in offensive rating, and 3rd in defensive rating.

There are bad takes and then there is this...

Goodman and Dauster talked about how we don’t have a “real” NIL program yet but seemed confident that we would soon. What @Chief00 is doing is awesome and is going to create memories and build camaraderie but at the end of the day, that is not the same as cutting a kid a check for 300k for some IG promos.

Reaction Score
Just curious, do you know something that allows you to think we can put together nice NIL packages?
Uhh we were able to help secure a bag for Sanogo from Sunoco. The school has very much doubled down on all things NIL even before the championship — and winning it definitely put us in a much better spot to double down even more. Between Championship Labs, D’Amelio, and Bleeding Blue for Good the university is in a great place NIL-wise. I was skeptical on the university being able to compete in NIL and they have definitely exceeded expectations.

Reaction Score
We have it verified that Timberlake was looking for 500k and we couldn't match Kansas. I don't think we'll get specific numbers past that.

Right now, NIL is the wild west, and we haven't reached an equilibrium for player "value." I doubt someone like Timberlake would get 500k in 10 years. Give it a few seasons, and I think the baseline for what you need to offer kids will be more clear.
$250K was the number I read on this board.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I think the people who are down on Spencer need to remember that yes, he’s coming in here to be a starter, but he’s not going to be our primary scoring option. I’m guessing he may be our 4th or 5th scoring option behind Karaban, Clingan, Castle and Newton.

He seems like a perfect fit for what we need, and I trust Hurley to coach up guys on defense. What they did with Joey C is all I need to see to have that confidence. And Spencer is better than Joey C.

Reaction Score
That’s my worry specifically. Our NIL is competitive but Miami is one of those schools that goes all out in an unreasonable way.

They’re also coming off back to back elite 8 appearances so they’ve been doing a good job winning themselves as well.

Nigel Pack 800K and 2 cars? Wong wants more money delivered yet he delivered nothing against us?

This is absolutely whacked. LOL really needs a sheriff to take over in Dodge.

Reaction Score
Vecenie absolutely loves UConn, mostly because he adores the offensive sets Hurley runs, and he is a huge fan of our style of play on both ends. He is well respected and not a bad guy to be tweeting sweet nothings about the Huskies.
Bouk was a great recruiting pitch regarding helping an under recruited kid become a lotto pick. (And got that “can they get you to the league” question answered)

Reese was a great pitch for transfers. (Relative unknown to nba selection)

Can’t think of a kid though that they’ll be able to show for years as it relates to “this is how we’ll use you as a shooter/off all” than Hawk. Was a masterful job

Reaction Score
We're a flagship state university with decades of history in the sports and fans all over the country. We likely have hetter NIL than almoat every D1 school in the country. We aren't Kansas or UNC, but we have A LOT of money behind this program.
I sincerely hope you are right.

Reaction Score
Bouk was a great recruiting pitch regarding helping an under recruited kid become a lotto pick. (And got that “can they get you to the league” question answered)

Reese was a great pitch for transfers. (Relative unknown to nba selection)

Can’t think of a kid though that they’ll be able to show for years as it relates to “this is how we’ll use you as a shooter/off all” than Hawk. Was a master
In addition to your excellent bullet points--Although not related to NBA (so far).. Maximizing portal recruits within team structure (Tristen/Naheim/Joey/Hassan)
Thought staff did a great job with fit and utilization last year..

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think the people who are down on Spencer need to remember that yes, he’s coming in here to be a starter, but he’s not going to be our primary scoring option. I’m guessing he may be our 4th or 5th scoring option behind Karaban, Clingan, Castle and Newton.

He seems like a perfect fit for what we need, and I trust Hurley to coach up guys on defense. What they did with Joey C is all I need to see to have that confidence. And Spencer is better than Joey C.

Wouldn't be shocked if he came in and challenged for the 2nd or 3rd highest ppg on the team. He put up 13 ppg for a should have been NCAAT Big 10 team. By contrast Joey C came in off a 9 ppg season at San Diego.

People are sleeping on this guy - having watched a decent amount of SUNJ games - he hit a lot of big shots and can play.

Reaction Score

$500k is what he ended up getting?? Sheesh, the number floating around before was $250k

Reaction Score
It was 250k, actually. I may be thinking of someone else. One of the Miami boys, maybe?
Well last year Pack transferred to Miami for $800k (2 year deal), then Wong got pissed and that whole story blew up, so they ended up giving him $400k/yr as well. Maybe it was Jesse Edwards to WVU? Didn't he have some ridiculous NIL $?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It was 250k, actually. I may be thinking of someone else. One of the Miami boys, maybe?
Plus a Challenger (possibly Hellcat). People think the kids were gifted whole cars....nah. They likely get a lease for the one year they will be there, probably have to do a commercial for the local dealership, or show up at some marketing events.

There will be an interesting angle on all of this from the IRS. If the student is paid in case or merchandise, and renders a service, that's income. There will be a 1099. If the amount is disproportionate to what was provided, that's a gift, and the gifter could be on the hook for gift taxes. I doubt Congress steps in, but existing laws and regulations could still put a damper on some of the most egregious behavior.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Goodman and Dauster talked about how we don’t have a “real” NIL program yet but seemed confident that we would soon. What @Chief00 is doing is awesome and is going to create memories and build camaraderie but at the end of the day, that is not the same as cutting a kid a check for 300k for some IG promos.

We need both. ESPECIALLY what chief is doing. We dont have the plethora of idiots here overpaying for hacks. We just dont. We have some super successful people helping in so many ways, but we arent going to be Miami or Kansas on that front just cutting obscene checks for nothing. What's scary is what Miami paid Wong and Pack got last year to actually have a team that could make it to FF and get run off the floor by us. was a huge multiple factor of what our entire squad got last year. Justice prevailed but in the tournament where it was one bad and out, it could've gone the other way.

Reaction Score

Key lines from Wong's threats over NIL $ last year:
Apr 28, 2022, 10:25 PM ET
"If Isaiah and his family don't feel that the NIL number meets their expectations they will be entering the transfer portal tomorrow, while maintaining his eligibility in the NBA draft and going through the draft process," Papas (his agent) said.

First, does his "agent" get paid? If he's paid to look for schools willing to pay a lot his fee should be minimal. If he's paid to ferret out deals from various sponsors maybe he gets more.

When the NIL talk began it was my belief that the PLAYERS would be able to offer their NIL's to suitors who would pay to involve them in marketing or whatever they felt might bring value to their companies, etc.

NOT that the schools would be setting up organizations to raise the money required to buy the players off....either to keep them or entice them to leave for GREENER ($$$$$) pastures.

If Charlie Baker wants to keep his image as a master manager he'll get off his arrss and put some rules in place that make it possible for the players to benefit from their skills and fame, not for sitting back and letting the buyers (schools) bundle up the money to get them on campus. If that's how it'll work we don't need an NCAA or any other organizing body.

Reaction Score
Nigel Pack 800K and 2 cars? Wong wants more money delivered yet he delivered nothing against us?

This is absolutely whacked. LOL really needs a sheriff to take over in Dodge.
I remember the story being Wong wanted $400K or more because Pack was getting $350K.
The fact he stayed would indicate he got it or something more than Pack so I doubt the $800K and two cars for Pack.
If Pack did get paid that much, Miami should think twice about spending a lot of money on a good but not great player.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Chief has me blocked, what is he doing?

Reaction Score

NIL is drying up at Miami. One of the prominent boosters is not in great financial standing at the moment. Just fyi

Reaction Score
It sounds like an old assistant coach is now on the staff at UCLA and they are getting a visit. May hurt our chances.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom