2023 Recruiting: - Cam Spencer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Cam Spencer

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
"Cooley will definitely succeed at Georgetown because he has a lot more resources."

Hard to recruit talent who want to win now when the team is going to be bad.
I think the HS talent was a part of the resources factor. He might not win right away but he can build a good foundation in the DMV area through those kind of recruits like Hurley did with Sanogo, Hawkins, Jackson, etc.

He’s pretty much starting from where Hurley did when he took it over from Ollie.

Reaction Score
Miami in a bit of a similar situation to us from a roster perspective. They get Omier, Pack, and Poplar back, so 3/5 starters, but lose possibly their 2 best players in Wong and Miller (assuming Wong stays in draft/moves on, because Spencer probably doesn't go if Wong comes back). We were a lot deeper than them and have an elite recruiting class coming in, though, and they have nobody of note coming in except for transfer Matthew Cleveland coming in to replace Miller.

So he would fill out their starting lineup similar to Indiana and us, but we have a much deeper bench of talent than either.

Reaction Score
That is so unnecessary and cumbersome. The NCAA is a private organization and has the ability to regulate its membership requirements. One of those is that the student participants were amateurs. The NCAA had the ability to define that anyway it chose. Instead, it did nothing and said we are going to let State decide what the rules are. How does that make sense for a private organization? This was a Emmert being Emmert. There hasn't been a single organization that he left better off than he found it.

The man has the Sadim touch. Everything he touches turns to crap.
Yet he continued to climb the ladder of success. I really don’t understand it…unless he had photos

Orc

Reaction Score
Sounds like he is Miami bound. They will offer him the most $ . I think NIL is the main reason he left Rutgers. We’re going to get timberlaked again Imho.

Reaction Score
If a guy is going to make a decision based soley/almost entirely based on NIL, then we'll find a better match.
I’m surprised we haven’t heard more Miami Wong/Pack NIL blow up stories with all this going on.

Are teams paying guys equal amounts of money? I don’t understand how they’re keeping all these players happy when they’re waving bags in front of these kids in the portal. Like how are coaches justifying giving a transfer more NIL $$ than guys who are currently on the roster?

Reaction Score
I tried to get myself excited for this guy’s potential commitment after the Trilly tweet, but I just can’t. Aside from the help defense reach-ins, his highlight package doesn’t impress me. His breakaway layups could all easily be chase down blocks, he decelerates so much. His shot is ugly and he played on one of the worst offensive teams in the country and they were better with him off the court? When I mentioned him to my two Rutgers fan coworkers, they both said he sucked and weren’t upset at all the he was leaving. To put that in context, they were both really upset that their 4 star 2024 just decommitted. I know there is a lot of shooting that needs to be replaced, but I hope it comes from somewhere else.

Reaction Score
I tried to get myself excited for this guy’s potential commitment after the Trilly tweet, but I just can’t. Aside from the help defense reach-ins, his highlight package doesn’t impress me. His breakaway layups could all easily be chase down blocks, he decelerates so much. His shot is ugly and he played on one of the worst offensive teams in the country and they were better with him off the court? When I mentioned him to my two Rutgers fan coworkers, they both said he sucked and weren’t upset at all the he was leaving. To put that in context, they were both really upset that their 4 star 2024 just decommitted. I know there is a lot of shooting that needs to be replaced, but I hope it comes from somewhere else.

You are your friends have no idea what you're talking about. Doesn't surprise me about a Rutgers fan, but you know better if you're rooting for UConn.

The kid was a 43% three-point shooter with the second-best defensive rating on his team. His percentage from two is 50% for his career... so maybe they could be chasedown blocks, but they aren't. You don't average 14/4/3 in the B1G on some of the best #s in the conference by accident. He is a fantastic player and we'd be lucky to have him.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just asked the same guy for an update because that post was from May 20th.

He had 5 schools he was interested in. UCLA , Oklahoma , Texas , U Conn and Miami. They are calling all the time. I think his favorite is Miami but a ton of schools are calling him.
Not worth anything, but boy is Muami’s arena a dump. Just went to a graduation there. Gampel and Hartford with zero improvement are palaces compared to Miami. Not sure if they play much in the bigger pro venue.

Reaction Score
Assuming Newton returns we are setup to be the best team in that group by a pretty clear margin. Might not be able to offer the most $, but should be competitive plus offer a chance to play for the defending champs. Let's get it done!

Reaction Score
Thank you, I felt the same way.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why so many posters think we can't compete with NIL money. Just because we lost one guy to Kansas of all places? We're still able to put together nice packages to go along with exception coaching, recruiting success, player development, and defending a national championship.

Thank you, I felt the same way.
Can't get excited for a guy who fills our biggest gap and averaged 13/4/3 in the Big Ten on 44/43/90 shooting splits? The last UConn player to average 2+ threes a game with 43%+ efficiency was Ben Gordon in 2004. Spencer was 5th in the entire B10 in win shares, 4th in box +/-, 5th in offensive rating, and 3rd in defensive rating.

There are bad takes and then there is this...

Reaction Score
Assuming Newton returns we are setup to be the best team in that group by a pretty clear margin. Might not be able to offer the most $, but should be competitive plus offer a chance to play for the defending champs. Let's get it done!
Miami could be very good again, especially if Wong pulls out of the draft

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why so many posters think we can't compete with NIL money. Just because we lost one guy to Kansas of all places? We're still able to put together nice packages to go along with exception coaching, recruiting success, player development, and defending a national championship.

Can't get excited for a guy who fills our biggest gap and averaged 13/4/3 in the Big Ten on 44/43/90 shooting splits? The last UConn player to average 2+ threes a game with 43%+ efficiency was Ben Gordon in 2004. Spencer was 5th in the entire B10 in win shares, 4th in box +/-, 5th in offensive rating, and 3rd in defensive rating.

There are bad takes and then there is this...
Just curious, do you know something that allows you to think we can put together nice NIL packages?

Reaction Score
Just curious, do you know something that allows you to think we can put together nice NIL packages?

We're a flagship state university with decades of history in the sports and fans all over the country. We likely have hetter NIL than almoat every D1 school in the country. We aren't Kansas or UNC, but we have A LOT of money behind this program.

Reaction Score
We're a flagship state university with decades of history in the sports and fans all over the country. We likely have hetter NIL than almoat every D1 school in the country. We aren't Kansas or UNC, but we have A LOT of money behind this program.
Lot of the NIL money numbers are just made up, its though to say what is actually going in student athletes pocket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom