2023 Recruiting: - Cam Spencer | Page 13 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Cam Spencer

Reaction Score
They've got enough shooting to spread the floor and Danny is going to scheme open looks. The sky is not falling re: shooting.

More of a loss imo is the speed and tenacity with which Hawk played in the offensive set, he broke down defenders over the course of a game by playing like a crackhead on payday. It will be very interesting to see how that energy is replaced.

We're going to be a different team. We don't have anyone who can run screens like Hawkins... even Spencer wouldn't really be able to fill that role. Very few NBA players, let alone college players, have the same footspeed and shot quickness as Hawkins.

In the half-court, we'll be looking for more drive and dish to 3-point shooters next year, rather than running a bunch of off-ball looks for a shooter. Castle, Solo, Newton (and hopefully Karaban) are all guys that can bully their way to the rim and collapse the defense. Stewart can fill that role too. Even Clingan is a pass-first big in a lot of ways.

Very different team, but I think we'll have enough shooting to feel okay without Spencer, and enough to feel really good with him.

Reaction Score
I think there is a good chance that several have better UConn careers but I do agree re: pure talent. Bouk also does not seem like a good kid and who knows how he effected the team. The star recruit driving drunk and then crashing and abandoning his car (and then kinda obviously being covered up?) is not exactly the example we want set for the rest of the roster.

IIRC it wasn't his car, either. I'm not sure it was "covered up" as much as kept private. Our coaches shouldn't be talking about players' personal business. I do wonder if, in retrospect, Kimani and Hurley w wish they had done something differently. Clearly, the lesson was not learned with Bouk's antics since he left Storrs.

Reaction Score
From what we’ve heard, sounds like it’s just going to be 1 player from the portal & bank the scholarship. Would love them to get a kid in early from the ‘24 Class, get him in during the spring.

Source?

Reaction Score
From what we’ve heard, sounds like it’s just going to be 1 player from the portal & bank the scholarship. Would love them to get a kid in early from the ‘24 Class, get him in during the spring.
Ok that might happen but it is obvious that this team is missing a clear shooter to help balance with people who can penetrate and create. Just the opposite of last year's team where we had shooters but sometimes missing penetration.

Reaction Score
Ok that might happen but it is obvious that this team is missing a clear shooter to help balance with people who can penetrate and create. Just the opposite of last year's team where we had shooters but sometimes missing penetration.
Yeah definitely. The staffs pursuit of guys like Timberlake & Spencer are pretty telling as to what they think the need is. They’re having big time shooters who will likely fill a starting spot in for visits, that shows where their priority is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Really wish there was a separate notification for alerts that are actually relevant to the player. I keep seeing like 20 posts on this thread and am expecting some news, but nope!
If he announces, there will be a separate thread.

Reaction Score
We're going to be a different team. We don't have anyone who can run screens like Hawkins... even Spencer wouldn't really be able to fill that role. Very few NBA players, let alone college players, have the same footspeed and shot quickness as Hawkins.

In the half-court, we'll be looking for more drive and dish to 3-point shooters next year, rather than running a bunch of off-ball looks for a shooter. Castle, Solo, Newton (and hopefully Karaban) are all guys that can bully their way to the rim and collapse the defense. Stewart can fill that role too. Even Clingan is a pass-first big in a lot of ways.

Very different team, but I think we'll have enough shooting to feel okay without Spencer, and enough to feel really good with him.
100% agree with all of this. It's impossible to replace Hawk and that screen + shoot. We're going to have to go back to that inside-out as you described it. Hurley's best offensive schemes traditionally involve defense collapsing on that big and dishing out to an open shooter -- I think of the 2020 team with Whaley/Vital perfecting that. The Wrench excelled in that point-forward type role, something I think we can and will bring back this season.

Hurley has no doubt proved he can build an offensive scheme around the players and their skillsets (albeit it might have took a little longer than most on here would have liked ;) ). Just hope the freshman can adopt to the mental aspect of the game as quickly as the newcomers last year did.

Having Hawk was a cheat code. Adding Cam Spencer does nothing but help this team. Not adding him isn't the end of the world, but if defense wins you championships, shooting gets you there, and Cam Spencer can shoot.

Reaction Score
So @Zionn care to chime in here with some news?
What 99 shared. Great visit. NIL will play a role but in the end it is really how Cam wants to end this part of his career. Have a shot to repeat? or bank some $ and chill w/. hotties in South Beach (or LA). Our staff is in overdrive right now. Tons of activity in the coming weeks.

Reaction Score

Cam Spencer talk at the 7 minute mark.

According to this it sounds like the visit hasn't even happened yet. Which would make sense considering it looked like Hurley was at a wedding in California over the weekend.

Reaction Score
What 99 shared. Great visit. NIL will play a role but in the end it is really how Cam wants to end this part of his career. Have a shot to repeat? or bank some $ and chill w/. hotties in South Beach (or LA). Our staff is in overdrive right now. Tons of activity in the coming weeks.

Believe other than the annouced visits, we're also working on getting Givens and Swartz on campus. Can't remember where I heard it from... so don't quote me, lol.

Reaction Score
Is the activity 2024 related or portal related outside of Spencer? Both?

Reaction Score
Source?
Hurley, he said it himself they likely won’t be utilizing all the scholarships. They’re already at 11 scholarship players & actively recruiting a transfer now, so that gets you to 12. Seems like they want a little roster flexibility, which would lend itself well to get a reclass kid if they want to go that route.

Reaction Score
Hurley, he said it himself they likely won’t be utilizing all the scholarships. They’re already at 11 scholarship players & actively recruiting a transfer now, so that gets you to 12. Seems like they want a little roster flexibility, which would lend itself well to get a reclass kid if they want to go that route.
Hurley also said managing 13 scholarship players was just too much. I'm not sure how much of a difference 12 v 13 makes though lol

Reaction Score
Hurley also said managing 13 scholarship players was just too much. I'm not sure how much of a difference 12 v 13 makes though lol
One less guy to worry about PT for. Think he was getting at how the transfer rule makes it more challenging to bring it developmental guys. I like having roster flexibility and an open scholarship, especially if it means you can target a reclass kid and get him in a semester early. Has worked well in the past.

Reaction Score
We also (for a change) got lucky on the injury front last year. That’s been extremely rare in recent years. I don’t know that I’d put a bet in at the window in Vegas on that happening again. It’s just the reality.

Reaction Score
We also (for a change) got lucky on the injury front last year. That’s been extremely rare in recent years. I don’t know that I’d put a bet in at the window in Vegas on that happening again. It’s just the reality.
I get that, but the reality is that anyone willng to come in and be the 13th man is not making a difference if there's an injury

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom