Caitlin Clark Scoring Record Watch | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Caitlin Clark Scoring Record Watch

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Iowa fans:correct me if I'm wrong. Iowa had the Nebraska game well under control thru
3 quarters...Clark with 31 and well within range of the record. For the bulk of the 4th quarter she stopped
looking to shoot. Nebraska made a late run....got close....and in the last 2 or 3 minutes CC started to be aggressive shooting the ball....missing all of them. Was her reluctance to shoot for most of the quarter intended to break the
record at home. I'm guessing 'yes'.

Turns out that will happen....but at the cost of an upset loss. Worth it?

She made some beautiful passes for assists. Don't know her shooting stat for the game. Despite the 31 I thought
she was a bit off.

Tremendously entertaining to watch.

Was 10-25 from the floor.....including 5-15 from trey-land....6-9 from free throw line. I assume
all of those are not her usual.
Clark took 3 shots in the first 8.30 of the 4 the qtr. She missed them all, plus 2 FT's. She took 3 shots in the last 1.23 of the 4th qtr, missed them all. Had she hit the last 3pt shot to tie the game and have the game go to OT, She would have needed 5 pts in OT to break the record.
Not sure if she was asked where she wanted to break the record but it seemed like someone decided she would do it at home on Thursday vs Michigan. From what I see that game is scheduled to be on Peacock. Good luck with small national exposure.
Team wins, over individual records , IMO. are more important.

Reaction Score
31 but 0 in the fourth qtr

2. Clark, Iowa (2020-24): 3,520
1. Plum, Wash (2013-17): 3,527 ==> 8 pts to surpass ==> 1st quarter vs Mich on 2/15

======================================
Additionally

Iowa has 5 RS games left

4. Clark 3520
3. Lynette Woodward Kansas (AIAW), 3649 ==> 131 ==> 4-5 games
2. Antoine Davis Detroit Mercy 3664 ==> 144 ==> 5-6 games
1. Maravich LSU 3667 ==> 147 ==> 5-6 games

She should pass Maravich in the season finale
Fatigue, perhaps, and Nebraska played good D down the stretch.
Iowa fans:correct me if I'm wrong. Iowa had the Nebraska game well under control thru
3 quarters...Clark with 31 and well within range of the record. For the bulk of the 4th quarter she stopped
looking to shoot. Nebraska made a late run....got close....and in the last 2 or 3 minutes CC started to be aggressive shooting the ball....missing all of them. Was her reluctance to shoot for most of the quarter intended to break the

She made some beautiful passes for assists. Don't know her shooting stat for the game. Despite the 31 I thought
she was a bit off.

Was 10-25 from the floor.....including 5-15 from trey-land....6-9 from free throw line. I assume
Correct across the board, Blake. Even if it wasn't a conscious effort by Caitlin to hold off 'til the next game, the impending record might well have affected her performance and hence the game outcome. Credit Nebraska for capitalizing, whatever the case!

Reaction Score

she was a bit off.

This loss was on the rest of the Iowa team. Clark missed some shots, but the other players disappeared when it was their turn to step up.
There may have been some nuanced issues present to influence record breaking, but not enough to affect final outcome.
Refereeing was very bad going both ways. Not an influence on the outcome, but c'mon, this level of basketball requires equally good supervision. Very disappointing both ways.

Reaction Score
This loss was on the rest of the Iowa team. Clark missed some shots, but the other players disappeared when it was their turn to step up.
There may have been some nuanced issues present to influence record breaking, but not enough to affect final outcome.
Refereeing was very bad going both ways. Not an influence on the outcome, but c'mon, this level of basketball requires equally good supervision. Very disappointing both ways.
Wish I had a ticket for the next game in Iowa City. Do you know if the game at Minnesota is a sellout yet?

Reaction Score
No question Clark will break the record, but I don't think it will last too long. Watching Ju-Ju last night, I'm pretty sure if she stays healthy, she will break it. No disrespect to CC, but JJ scores at will and Hildago may also do the same. These two freshman are insanely talented.

Reaction Score
No question Clark will break the record, but I don't think it will last too long. Watching Ju-Ju last night, I'm pretty sure if she stays healthy, she will break it. No disrespect to CC, but JJ scores at will and Hildago may also do the same. These two freshman are insanely talented.
I feel like the gap between the top 10 players and top 50 is getting smaller. It used to be that there were a select few that stood out, but now most teams have a player that can get a bucket at will. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there seems to be an increase in overall talent, so Juju and/or Hidalgo type players may become more frequent and continue to raise the ceiling and break that record.

Reaction Score
I feel like the gap between the top 10 players and top 50 is getting smaller. It used to be that there were a select few that stood out, but now most teams have a player that can get a bucket at will. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there seems to be an increase in overall talent, so Juju and/or Hidalgo type players may become more frequent and continue to raise the ceiling and break that record.
Absolutely correct. As the women's game expands, and more and more girls take up the sport, and train/play year round, the talent will increase dramatically.

Reaction Score
Absolutely correct. As the women's game expands, and more and more girls take up the sport, and train/play year round, the talent will increase dramatically.
But, as they “ train/play year round” will knee injuries increase?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How fitting that she got it on a logo 3.

Maybe it was worth taking a loss at Nebraska so she could get the record tonight?

She's on pace for 50+ in this game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She has 38 going into the 4th and could be on track for a new career high or 50+. Would be a cool parallel to Plum having a career high (57) on her record breaking night.

Reaction Score
With 4-5 games left in the regular season plus the Big Ten tournament, Caitlin might mess around and pass Lynette Woodard's all-time scoring mark & Pistol Pete's scoring mark.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Watkins is going to have a real shot if she stays healthy. Right now she's averaging 27.7 as a freshman and Clark is at 28.2 for her career. Keep in mind, Clark missed out on about 8 games her first 2 years due to covid (which likely would've been 200+ more points), so Watkins will likely have the opportunity to play in more games than Caitlin too.

Hidalgo is a long shot IMO with Miles coming back for 2-3 more years. Right now her usage is incredibly high but the ball is going to be spread around a lot more with Olivia back and I expect Hidalgo's scoring to drop next year.

All of this will be null and void if Clark decides to play a 5th year. I doubt she does though, she's set up perfectly to join the Fever and will be going out on a high note this year with the insane year she's having.

Reaction Score
So much has to go right for Watkins though. Has to avoid an significant injuries, and then continue to score at this level for 3 more years. Certainly not a given.
And, as someone else posted in recent days, USC might well be in position to bring in several more top players... thus less 'eating' for JuJu.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So much has to go right for Watkins though. Has to avoid an significant injuries, and then continue to score at this level for 3 more years. Certainly not a given.

They have a top recruiting class coming in, so I suspect her scoring will drop off a tad.... maybe...

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Remaining Milestones for Clark (who has 3569 points):

Lynette Woodard: 3649 points (81 to break, should break it in 3 games)
Pete Maravich: 3667 points (99 to break, should break it in 3-4 games)
4,000 in a career: 431 points to accomplish

Iowa has 4 regular season games left, potentially 3 Big Ten games and 6 NCAA games. If she maintains her average of 32.8 per game and plays in all 13 potential games, she'll score 426 points, putting her 5 points shy of 4,000.

In conference play she's averaging 35 points and 9.5 assists per game, so there's a real shot she accomplishes this if Iowa makes the Final Four or title game. Only 5 other players in women's basketball history have scored 1000 points in a season, and Clark could conceivably average 1000/season for her entire career (and she missed out on 8 games due to covid).

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score

Highlights from first Clark's first college game. Stands went from empty (pandemic) to sellouts all season in just three years.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She’s still gotta pass Woodard and Pistol Pete!
Not to mention the single season scoring record of that player whose name no one can remember anyway :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom