Caitlin Clark Scoring Record Watch | The Boneyard

Caitlin Clark Scoring Record Watch

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
After scoring a modest 24 points today, Caitlin Clark currently sits at 2978 career points. In the next 2 games she's expected to pass all time greats Chamique Holdsclaw, Maya Moore and Cheryl Miller in career points scored.

She has 21 regular season games left and at least 2 post season games lined up (Big Ten Tournament/NCAA), giving her guaranteed 23 games, assuming she doesn't get injured.

If she keeps up her season average of 29.5ppg, she's on pace to break Plum's scoring record (3527 points) in 19 games, which would be vs Illinois on 2/25.

She's on pace to break Pete Maravich's scoring record (3667 points) in the Big Ten Tournament or early round NCAA tournament.

Also worth noting, she's averaging 7.9 assists per game and is on pace to reach 1000 career assists in 17 games vs. Michigan on 2/17. This would put her at 6th place all time and she'd also be the first player to ever score 3000 points and have 1000 assists.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Also worth noting, she's averaging 7.9 assists per game and is on pace to reach 1000 career assists in 17 games vs. Michigan on 2/17. This would put her at 6th place all time and she'd also be the first player to ever score 3000 points and have 1000 assists.
That's something. On pace to become the leading scorer in history AND #6 in assists.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Jackie Stiles recorded a nice congratulatory message that they played on the video board when Plum broke the record. I would expect Kelsey will do something similar when the time comes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
On the off-chance that Caitlin decides to stay for a Covid year, she will set a record that would be unreachable.

Maravich's record is noteworthy, because he set it when freshmen were ineligible, the 3-point shot didn't exist, and seasons were shorter. He still holds the career record 53 years later, though Antoine Davis was only 3 points short last season. Pistol Pete's ppg record of 44.2 may last forever.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
That's something. On pace to become the leading scorer in history AND #6 in assists.

She also missed around 8 games her freshman/sophomore year due to covid cancellations. If she had "normal" seasons she realistically would've had a shot at 4000 points, 1000 assists, 1000 rebounds and finish #1 in points and #2 in assists.

If she stays 5 years she'll obliterate a lot of other records but some will have an asterisk due to playing in 5 seasons instead of 4.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
On the off-chance that Caitlin decides to stay for a Covid year, she will set a record that would be unreachable.

Maravich's record is noteworthy, because he set it when freshmen were ineligible, the 3-point shot didn't exist, and seasons were shorter. He still holds the career record 53 years later, though Antoine Davis was only 3 points short last season. Pistol Pete's ppg record of 44.2 may last forever.
Looking at LSU stats, it makes Iowa's usage of Caitlin Clark look like child's play in comparison. He averaged 38 shots per game, 14 FTA per game and still dished out 5 assists per night.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

44 points per game is just an unfathomable average. Especially with no 3-point line.

Reaction Score
What Caitlin is doing is history making for sure on the scoring side of things. What really impresses me is her passing. Giving the number of minutes she plays, the physical abuse she deals with & dishes out; her assists especially her assist to turnover rate is very impressive.

Reaction Score
I am updating pace on her chase of Kelsey Plum, the much less likely pursuit of Courtney Vandersloot's assist mark from this century, and Dyaisha Fair's pursuit of Ashley Joens's five-year mark after each game:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maravich's record is unbreakable in Men's basketball. Amazing that he did it in 3 years, and without a 3 pt line.

It's unbreakable, largely because anyone that good would likely leave after 1-2 years. Mathematically, it would be about 150 games and 25 ppg. That average doesn't seem out of the question, but such a player will move to the NBA quickly. The 44.2 ppg stat may have been matched by only Wilt Chamberlain in the NBA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Looking at LSU stats, it makes Iowa's usage of Caitlin Clark look like child's play in comparison. He averaged 38 shots per game, 14 FTA per game and still dished out 5 assists per night.

So, you are saying he touched the ball a lot. :D

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Update: Last game vs Wisconsin, Clark surpassed Miller, Holdsclaw and Moore to move into 10th all time. Next game she'll likely surpass Iowa State rival Ashley Joens for 9th, and she is on pace to reach 5th all time by the end of the month. She's currently at 3,041 points.

Reaction Score
Update: Last game vs Wisconsin, Clark surpassed Miller, Holdsclaw and Moore to move into 10th all time. Next game she'll likely surpass Iowa State rival Ashley Joens for 9th, and she is on pace to reach 5th all time by the end of the month. She's currently at 3,041 points.
All other aspects aside for the moment, just think about that trio Caitlin passed in her last game: Cheryl Miller, Chamique Holdsclaw and Maya Moore, three of the best women's basketball players ever.:rolleyes::cool:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
All other aspects aside for the moment, just think about that trio Caitlin passed in her last game: Cheryl Miller, Chamique Holdsclaw and Maya Moore, three of the best women's basketball players ever.:rolleyes::cool:
It's definitely impressive, but does anyone think Maya Moore wouldn't have scored more if she hadn't been on teams with future WNBA All-Stars like Tina Charles, Tiffany Hayes, Renee Montgomery, and Stef Dolson? Per Her Hoop Stats, Moore's usage rate (~30%) was nearly 1/3 less than Clark's is (~38%). There's no question it's a major accomplishment, but it's also not a coincidence the current holder, Kelsey Plum, was also on a team where she was a star among relatively average D1 players (and surprisingly, even her usage rate was only about 32% in her college career).

Reaction Score
All the discussion about Kelsey's Plum's record is a good reminder that we really should be talking about Lynette Woodard's scoring record (3,649 points). Just as the NFL incorporated AFL records into the NFL record book (after the NFL-AFL merger), the NCAA should have incorporated (and still should) verified AIAW records into the NCAA record book.

Reaction Score
It's definitely impressive, but does anyone think Maya Moore wouldn't have scored more if she hadn't been on teams with future WNBA All-Stars like Tina Charles, Tiffany Hayes, Renee Montgomery, and Stef Dolson? Per Her Hoop Stats, Moore's usage rate (~30%) was nearly 1/3 less than Clark's is (~38%). There's no question it's a major accomplishment, but it's also not a coincidence the current holder, Kelsey Plum, was also on a team where she was a star among relatively average D1 players (and surprisingly, even her usage rate was only about 32% in her college career).
That's an excellent point, TheFarmFan, and you're kinda preaching to the choir (if a Deacon be in the choir).

When periodically we rank the best Huskies players of all-time, Maya often comes in third with many here, but I have her first, ahead of DT and Stewie, as great as they were.

She definitely benefited from playing with those you mentioned, but she also never had to reveal her true greatness because she often didn't need to... ironically, the same situation kept her from being a big scorer in the WNBA because she had a couple of greats playing alongside her.

Oh, my gosh, I'm getting dizzy trying to understand my own logic here... I'm sure there are those here who could help?!?:confused:;)

Reaction Score
That's an excellent point, TheFarmFan, and you're kinda preaching to the choir (if a Deacon be in the choir).

When periodically we rank the best Huskies players of all-time, Maya often comes in third with many here, but I have her first, ahead of DT and Stewie, as great as they were.

She definitely benefited from playing with those you mentioned, but she also never had to reveal her true greatness because she often didn't need to... ironically, the same situation kept her from being a big scorer in the WNBA because she had a couple of greats playing alongside her.

Oh, my gosh, I'm getting dizzy trying to understand my own logic here... I'm sure there are those here who could help?!?:confused:;)
It's simple. Geno doesn't coach people to win scoring records. He coaches winning teams, and he thinks scoring develops out of defense. This is a natural formula for spreading the scoring around.

Reaction Score
Opposed to Bluder who coaches to set records opposed to winning games? :rolleyes:
Not exactly a fair response. Bluder has designed her team around a shooter and a scrappy defense, and she did an excellent job. That’s not how Geno recruits and coaches. He has different vision of the game.

It’s not a binary situation. There’s more than one way to coach. And at UConn the system isn’t set up to feature scorers. That was my answer to the question. Do you seriously think any different? If so, explain yourself.

Reaction Score
You don't put up 2000 points in a career without being featured to some degree. UConn has a fair number of those.
Yes and you’d typically average under 20/game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom