Butler Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Butler Postgame Thread

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Boston played well few years ago in the USA team. I just think that SC doesnt put her play in the right way. Maybe SC gives more attention to their PG/SG and diminish Boston's role.

Everytime I've watched SC play this year Boston is breathing so hard it looks like she needs oxygen. Does she have asthma? Does anyone here know?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To me Brink is a finesse player and Boston is pure power. AE has both in her game.
This is AE best game by far so if "right now" means within the last couple of games then I agree that there are no freshman forwards playing better. However over the course of a season Brink who is not a center in the Stanford scheme (more (stretch 4), Cochran down at Louisville and Wesbeld at ND have at times during this season played better than AE.

Reaction Score
For awhile there I had flashbacks to Arkansas, but they played pretty well for the last three quarters of the game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It is AE and Paige's day.

Paige double-double 20 pts 14 asts, AE also double-double 24 pts 14 rebs, ONO 11 pts, Evina 16 pts, CW 12 pts, very even scores.
I’m not picky, I’ll take those stats every game from those three!! :D

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Mir not on bench tonight. Must not have traveled with team.
Let’s not churn that rumor mill...

004F4689-20AC-4924-BF75-129E870B28DA.jpeg

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A couple of points...

Last game I noted a lack of progress; not tonight.

Paige ran the "O" like a puppet-master; missed some shots...said in the post game...she had to do something to contribute...

Would love to see E healthy; possibly not going to happen...winced and took a strange step after her first made three. Too bad.

In the first half, Alliyah took a nasty elbow (intentional) to the head on a so-called screen.
Didn't daze her one bit...She was absolutely dominating in the 2nd half. How about that reverse?

Nika (who in general was fine), made a couple of plays of the sort that relegated her to the dog house for short periods. A hard (unnecessary) foul...and being blown by...Geno took her out (for short periods) after each such (minor, bonehead) play.

Liv looked a little tired at times; still a decent effort.

CW is playing consistent ball.

Lots and lots of contributors... Aubrey doesn't look like much on the box score, helped plenty.

Take a way a few over-ambitious passes and a some missed shots and you have a fine game.
(I'm not worried about the 3's).the other team's that is.

Reaction Score
For Paige the volume shots were there but not the efficiency. Guess you can't break records and be efficient at the same time. Aaliya was a beast. 3 point defense disappeared.
To their credit Butler passed well, opening up slivers in the uconn defense, sufficient for the first-half, 3-point deluge.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Aubrey is contributing big-time, even with 0 points. It says to me that she is comfortable in her role. Maybe the scoring won't come until next year. I can't remember a time that the offense stopped when she got the ball. She can score in transition and put-backs.
I think next season Aubrey will have bring her A-game on offense with scoring. Next season she will have to defend her place in the rotation against Caroline (6'2"), Saylor (6'2") and Amari (6'5"). In high school Saylor and Caroline both had an inside and outside game. Amari may surprise and be more agressive than I tend to believe she is. Offensively Aubrey is one dimensional with just an inside game. Oops! Forgot about Piath. She is looking smooth in cleanup. She may make a big leap this off season. Mir is in the same boat as Aubrey. Where is the offense? Then there is the Fudd factor!

Reaction Score
I just watched the replay and focused on Liv's Technical. Liv got a defensive rebound and was harassed by 3 Butler payers. The ref called a foul and stopped the play. I didn't see Liv throw any elbows or anything physical. My guess is that she said something because about 3 seconds after the play was stopped, another whistle was blown and the T was called.

Maybe someone with more basketball rule knowledge can watch and shed some light. I was disappointed when no-one asked Geno about it after the game.

Reaction Score
I think next season Aubrey will have bring her A-game on offense with scoring. Next season she will have to defend her place in the rotation against Caroline (6'2"), Saylor (6'2") and Amari (6'5"). In high school Saylor and Caroline both had an inside and outside game. Amari may surprise and be more agressive than I tend to believe she is. Offensively Aubrey is one dimensional with just an inside game. Oops! Forgot about Piath. She is looking smooth in cleanup. She may make a big leap this off season. Mir is in the same boat as Aubrey. Where is the offense? Then there is the Fudd factor!
I agree with all that! I'm really infatuated with this team. I just have this feeling that there is a chemistry with this team that will help us rise to the occasion as we progress. I think Aubrey is a part of that. She'a factor!
When they arrive on campus next summer, she'll be there, hopefully with the experience of something special this year under her belt.

Carnac

Reaction Score
For awhile there I had flashbacks to Arkansas, but they played pretty well for the last three quarters of the game.
They’ve played much better since that Arkansas game. That loss was a sobering wake up call. The 2014-2015 UConn team had one at Stanford. They ran the table after that all the way through to the national championship. Let’s see how far this team can go. They’re shooting and passing much better, and their team defense has also improved.

No one complained about that one loss during their championship celebration afterwards. Sometimes you have to take one step back in order to take 2-3 steps forward. Some top ranked programs lost to unranked teams this season. At least UConn didn’t do that.

I’d like to see Arkansas added to the list of out of conference regulars they play every year. It would be good for both programs.
While they’re at it, they can add Texas and Texas A&M. Those 2 programs plus Baylor would give UConn a presence in Texas, and that would be great for recruiting.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Butler game:
  • Great to see UConn WBB play at Hinkle Fieldhouse, a National Historic Landmark, formerly known as Butler Fieldhouse. Built in 1928, it was the largest arena in the US until 1950. I half expected to see Jimmy Chitwood hit a jumper from the top of the key.
  • Excellent ball movement and hot shooting from the arc by both teams. Ultimately, Butler could not keep pace with UConn.
  • Paige didn’t waste much time breaking Pam Webber & Renee Montgomery’s freshman assist record with 9 first half assists, and now 130 in just 21 games. For good measure, Paige broke the UConn single game record with 14 assists.
  • Really nice to see Evina start knocking down 3’s again, and Nika, Christyn & Paige continue to do so. These Huskies may yet force Geno eat his words about them being a “bad shooting team.”
  • Butler had no real answers for Liv & Aaliyah in the paint. Aaliyah in particular owned the paint.
A.Edwards may just be evolving into a super star of the Paige B level. Her accuracy at the foul line also suggests that she will be proficient, shooting the 12-16 footers. When she does that, she will be an unstoppable weapon.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’ll agree as soon as I hear the technical explanation on Ono. They missed that one completely. No excuses

other than that, I agree!
It had to be something she said in reference to a call that was made or one that wasn’t. It may have been something Geno nor the producers wanted Meghan or Alan to repeat.

Reaction Score
It had to be something she said in reference to a call that was made or one that wasn’t. It may have been something Geno nor the producers wanted Meghan or Alan to repeat.
That's what I was thinking. ONO said something like "it's about time" and got T'd up. We'll never know because the media won't ask about it.

Reaction Score
Boston played well few years ago in the USA team. I just think that SC doesnt put her play in the right way. Maybe SC gives more attention to their PG/SG and diminish Boston's role.
Last year she had Harris and Harrigan to get her the ball. This year the guards seem to be playing for themselves.

Reaction Score
till this season i thought that DT was the best passer ever at UConn (not only the number of assists but the type, speed and complexity of assists). Well now, IMO Paige is the best passer in UConn history. Her ability to throw passes on the move with one hand from one side of the court to the other side of the court and have it get exactly to the hands of the other player is beyond remarkable, it's magical! there is practically no pass that Paige can't make and all with split second decisions. For someone who loves passing and hates one on one basketball, this kid have been a revelation!

Reaction Score
till this season i thought that DT was the best passer ever at UConn (not only the number of assists but the type, speed and complexity of assists). Well now, IMO Paige is the best passer in UConn history. Her ability to throw passes on the move with one hand from one side of the court to the other side of the court and have it get exactly to the hands of the other player is beyond remarkable, it's magical! there is practically no pass that Paige can't make and all with split second decisions. For someone who loves passing and hates one on one basketball, this kid have been a revelation!
I put this in the play of the game thread but this is the moment she released the pass to Evina for the layup. When she committed to the pass, EW was still at the three point line starting her cut. So Paige sees it develop, looks at CW on the wing to freeze the defense, and whips it into the seam. Hard to explain how difficult it is to process all that so quickly. If she looks at EW for any amount of time, the player at the bottom of the zone and the player guarding Edwards probably both jump the passing lane, but she looks everyone away at the right moment and is still able to put it on the money.

B4C683DC-A3D3-49C5-A7AA-F6F001FE3C5B.jpeg

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
That's what I was thinking. ONO said something like "it's about time" and got T'd up. We'll never know because the media won't ask about it.
If you say that to most refs, they will T you up.!!! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom