Butler Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Butler Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Boston played well few years ago in the USA team. I just think that SC doesnt put her play in the right way. Maybe SC gives more attention to their PG/SG and diminish Boston's role.
Exactly! I am so surprised that Dawn doesn't make her the focus of their offense. Even MM knew how to make Ruth Riley the focus of their offense when they won the NC. SC just seems disjointed.

Reaction Score
A.Edwards may just be evolving into a super star of the Paige B level. Her accuracy at the foul line also suggests that she will be proficient, shooting the 12-16 footers. When she does that, she will be an unstoppable weapon.
She is now light years ahead of ONO, which begs the question of why ONO continues to get the lion's share of minutes, especially early on? Seems Edwards came in for significant minutes in the second half only after ONO picked up her third foul.

Would her development be faster if she were playing 30 mpg?

Reaction Score
Edwards is not more versatile at this time, not offensively. How many times have you seen Edwards shoot a mid range or three point shot and hit it? Edwards is good enough that there is no need to embellish her talent. Boston does not hustle as much and seems to be out of shape but she is still an AA talent. Edwards seems to be well on her way but is not there yet. There are other freshmen forwards having outstanding seasons. See those listed by Coco.

But she is so quick and strong that she doesn't need to. As Coach Geno remarked in the post-game comments, she's playing the way you want a big to play. If she can put on the moves to get a lay-up, then why back her up for 10-foot shots? Better to make her go to the basket, and force the other team to foul. Last night- 6 for 6 from the free throw line!

Reaction Score
Two records set today by “buckets”. Can she break 170 assists this season? She’s got 130 now.
A final regular season game against Marquette, 3 probable games in the BE tourney, and as many as 6 in the NCAA tourney, that totals 10 possible games- the record is toast!

Reaction Score
She is now light years ahead of ONO, which begs the question of why ONO continues to get the lion's share of minutes, especially early on? Seems Edwards came in for significant minutes in the second half only after ONO picked up her third foul.

Would her development be faster if she were playing 30 mpg?
The minutes are getting there. Liv still has value. She almost had a double-double herself and I think she might have played less than AE did. Liv is a good passer from the high post as well. I think they will play more and more together with Liv feeding AE the ball from the high post and then when teams sag, Liv can hit the 12 footer. Hopefully she will not fad on the shot and hit it for a high percentage. Liv will bring the other team's high post out, leaving AE to take on the other team's PF...which is a great matchup for us. Not many teams have a second big that can handle AE consistently.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Reminds me of Ashja Jones
IMO, Aaliyah is going to be an even bigger and better version of Tuck. She already shows a lot of those quick finishing moves in the low blocks that were Tuck’s trademark. She can run the court like a freight train and body up and defend bigger post players, as she did vs Boston. Aaliyah is becoming a better passer and she has a very nice shooting release, which leads me to believe that she will eventually extend her range out to the arc.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
But she is so quick and strong that she doesn't need to. As Coach Geno remarked in the post-game comments, she's playing the way you want a big to play. If she can put on the moves to get a lay-up, then why back her up for 10-foot shots? Better to make her go to the basket, and force the other team to foul. Last night- 6 for 6 from the free throw line!
You stated she is more versatile than Boston. She won't be more versatile until she can do more things than Boston. That is what makes a player versatile, doing more than one or two things well.

Reaction Score
Has anyone from the Coaching Staff made mentioned on why Mir didn't travel with the team ???
Mir was there. Someone posted a picture upthread and labeled everyone on the bench.

Reaction Score
I think next season Aubrey will have bring her A-game on offense with scoring. Next season she will have to defend her place in the rotation against Caroline (6'2"), Saylor (6'2") and Amari (6'5"). In high school Saylor and Caroline both had an inside and outside game. Amari may surprise and be more agressive than I tend to believe she is. Offensively Aubrey is one dimensional with just an inside game. Oops! Forgot about Piath. She is looking smooth in cleanup. She may make a big leap this off season. Mir is in the same boat as Aubrey. Where is the offense? Then there is the Fudd factor!
Calm down and relax - A seasoned JUNIOR next season, with Aubrey Griffin's athletic ability, she will be just find and well ahead of understanding and playing within the game plan for UCONN than the others. (take a very close look at Aubrey's statistics per minute played on the court, along with the intangibles. They you will gain a better understanding of her value). [Did you see her play in the game last night? Yes, 0 Points, but how many rebounds? how many steals? how many successful set screens? how many "Altered Shots" did she impact? ;)

Reaction Score
If Aaliyah can emulate Morgan Tuck's footwork in the post and extend her range to the arc and also have the defensive presence of Kiah Stokes then thats a force to be reckoned with.

Reaction Score
Carnac, Who has the single year assist record of 170? Paige will rock it soon! Lucky us, we get to see Paige and the team in action again tomorrow!

Reaction Score
AE already has the skills and athleticism to drive from the top of the key, but today defenders sag off her making that difficult. IMO, she needs a 15 foot shot to become unstoppable.

Reaction Score
I think Paige was missing shots so that Aaliyah could grab the rebounds and put them back.

I want to see Aubrey dunk.
I just want Aubrey make the bunnies she’s been missing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
AE already has the skills and athleticism to drive from the top of the key, but today defenders sag off her making that difficult. IMO, she needs a 15 foot shot to become unstoppable.
The best thing about Aaliyah is that she has really mastered the mental aspects of the game and the UConn System and is already exceptional as a rebounder, defender, rim runner and finisher. Is there any doubt that Her 4 years will be spent adding offensive skill after offensive skill with the same single mindedness, work ethic and ambition she has already displayed. And for added motivation, the Canadian National Team / Olympics

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I just want Aubrey make the bunnies she’s been missing.
My wish for Aubrey is that once she pulls down a rebound or gets a pass close to the basket while closely guarded, she doesn't automatically try to shoot. In many of those cases, despite her leaping ability, she gets stuffed. Better to fake first and/or take a step to get a clear shot. In other words, don't rush!

Reaction Score
Worst defensive performance of the year. They just showed the rest of the country how to beat us. Geno better get that hole plugged QUICK!

Reaction Score
My wish for Aubrey is that once she pulls down a rebound or gets a pass close to the basket while closely guarded, she doesn't automatically try to shoot. In many of those cases, despite her leaping ability, she gets stuffed. Better to fake first and/or take a step to get a clear shot. In other words, don't rush!
The shot/pump fake is one of the best moves to use in the women's game. Practically every defender, especially UConn's, leave their feet on them. Use those fakes and you can live at the foul line.

Reaction Score
Even Paige's misses look good! In and out or she doesnt get the roll. Prettiest shot in wcbb.
She has hit the freshman wall. Her hard work improving her defense has worn out her legs and she is coming up short. Her body will adapt and she will suddenly be Pistol Paige again. Fight through this Paige. Keep shooting and stay aggressive!

Reaction Score
She's already better than Tuck.
Let's not get crazy. I'll agree she is better than freshman Tuck but she is not better than senior Tuck. Aaliyah needs to prove she can reliably hit perimeter shots, consistently stay out of foul trouble, while defending the biggest of the bigs, and holding them to their season low points. She'll get there, she just isn't there yet.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
You stated she is more versatile than Boston. She won't be more versatile until she can do more things than Boston. That is what makes a player versatile, doing more than one or two things well.
I agree with both of you.
  • For the future Aaliyah needs to develop her short to mid-range jumper into consistent buckets. She needs more inside moves for tall agile shot blockers. Her screens are good but as she gains more muscle perhaps emulating the "Dolson screen" would be really good. Puts a bit fear into the defending guards.
  • For this season she needs to do just what Geno cites. Low post is her strength and Liv's strength is the high post for the jumper and where there generally is more room for her really good passing game. Why more room? Because down low lurks the "Pedator," a player that ruthlessly exploits other post players.

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Everyone missed it, they even said so when it happened, there was no explanation given by the refs to the media - which I believe has been the MO this season. I am guessing it will be answered in the post game presser, if Geno actually got a ref to explain it to him.
A snippet of the coach's conversation with an official was heard, Geno said "that's not a technical"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom