Butler Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Butler Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I put this in the play of the game thread but this is the moment she released the pass to Evina for the layup. When she committed to the pass, EW was still at the three point line starting her cut. So Paige sees it develop, looks at CW on the wing to freeze the defense, and whips it into the seam. Hard to explain how difficult it is to process all that so quickly. If she looks at EW for any amount of time, the player at the bottom of the zone and the player guarding Edwards probably both jump the passing lane, but she looks everyone away at the right moment and is still able to put it on the money.

View attachment 65084
Ya, this pass is really impressive.

Reaction Score
I just watched the replay and focused on Liv's Technical. Liv got a defensive rebound and was harassed by 3 Butler payers. The ref called a foul and stopped the play. I didn't see Liv throw any elbows or anything physical. My guess is that she said something because about 3 seconds after the play was stopped, another whistle was blown and the T was called.

Maybe someone with more basketball rule knowledge can watch and shed some light. I was disappointed when no-one asked Geno about it after the game.
Butler players had been mauling her all game so I suspect when they finally called a foul she probably said something like about "expletive" time and they T'd her up... Refs should have been doing their job calling fouls instead of giving Liv a Technical in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Boston can’t run the floor like Edwards, but Edwards can’t block shots like Boston. One is a classic PF while the other is a classic center. Apples and Oranges.
Probably true but I need an explanation why Boston is listed as a forward in ESPN.com.

Reaction Score
Probably true but I need an explanation why Boston is listed as a forward in ESPN.com.
No one wants to be a center anymore... They all want to be forwards now just because they shoot a jump shot once or twice a game....

Reaction Score
No one wants to be a center anymore... They all want to be forwards now just because they shoot a jump shot once or twice a game....
Well, since I don't know what position to designate Boston so as to have a conversation, let's just say that Boston would be smart, as their parallel careers progress, to be designated something different from Aaliyah.

Reaction Score
So here’s a question for the BY. Is there another freshman PF in the country playing any better than Aaliyah right now?
Not that I know of. ;)
Is there any PF in the country playing any better right now? For the tournament, she needs to start.
I agree Jordy but Geno is protecting against foul trouble. (my guess) She was very prone but getting better. I see her needed for more minutes come tourney time.
That to me screams tired legs. Freshmen have more than just a new school, a new system and new teammates to figure out. The fact is most freshmen have poor sleeping habits, poor dietary habits and poor practice habits. Now I don't think Paige has poor practice habits at all, but I think she still has much to learn about how to care for her body, and to me, it's starting to show. That for me is very much a part of the freshmen wall.
Again I agree with the premise but doesn't CD cover all the listed above. She has gotten accolades for years as being the players watch dog on all things right down to travel attire.
It may have been something Geno nor the producers wanted Meghan or Alan to repeat.
Agree, as O took a pounding tonight she may have let out a bomb not directed at anyone, but they will "T" it up every time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That play in the second half: Edwards rips the ball away, gets it out to Muhl and starts running. Muhl across to Paige who feeds the hustling Edwards for the lay-up. Culmo says "That's the future". No, that's the present. Our three best players.

Reaction Score
After this coming Monday's game, does anyone know the playoff schedule - dates and times? Thanks.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Actually, I think she played way better than Boston usually plays. Edwards is far more versatile, very fast down the court, and is infinitely better integrated in the team's offense than is Boston. I read that Edwards was a track star in high school. Not sure what event she did, but her runs down the court are truly impressive.

At the very least, national all freshman team. But she should be in the conversation for AA. This year!!
Edwards is not more versatile at this time, not offensively. How many times have you seen Edwards shoot a mid range or three point shot and hit it? Edwards is good enough that there is no need to embellish her talent. Boston does not hustle as much and seems to be out of shape but she is still an AA talent. Edwards seems to be well on her way but is not there yet. There are other freshmen forwards having outstanding seasons. See those listed by Coco.

Reaction Score
Maybe a couple of smaller details: 1) Aubrey is contributing big-time, even with 0 points. It says to me that she is comfortable in her role. Maybe the scoring won't come until next year. I can't remember a time that the offense stopped when she got the ball. She can score in transition and put-backs. 2) I'm finally happy with CW. She's happy and it shows in her play. She's not hesitating. See the interview with Nika after Creighton. Must watch TV. That defensive play was the defensive play of the game- swatted the shot and flicked it to a teammate. 3) I want Liv to play stronger. Make more plays. SC played her straight up and she did fine. The double teams thwart her. Some top-20 coaches saw that today.
It is really not just about playing stronger per se; unfortunately, it seems the reflexive bringing the ball down seemingly imbedded in Ono‘s muscle memory makes her susceptible and somewhat defenseless against the double team. Every coach knows it, that’s why it is virtually a constant when she posts up.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Paige probably should have had close to 20 assists if her teammates made more shots. Also Paige should have scored 30+ points if she had normal shooting day. Paige is probably not satisfied with how she played today. ?
I believe Paige is satisfied with the way she played based on her comments after the game. She was not satisfied with her shooting. Also, for those who are thinking she has hit the freshman wall, if that were true she would not continue to pass the ball the way she has continued to do or run the team the way she has. That wall takes away everything, imo.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I would like to call for a moratorium on calling our freshmen freshmen. I proclaim that the modifier no longer applies.
Is there a PF in the country, possibly including WNBA, that can run the floor as well as Aaliyah? Maybe Pheesa?
How about future matchups with Aliyah? (maybe even later this year) Tell you what, "girlfriend" better get in shape.
Well okay, with the reservation that I'd like to call them freshman next year with the idea that we've got them for another three years. I mean, those terms are going to be a little soft for the next four or five years right?

Reaction Score
I believe Paige is satisfied with the way she played based on her comments after the game. She was not satisfied with her shooting. Also, for those who are thinking she has hit the freshman wall, if that were true she would not continue to pass the ball the way she has continued to do or run the team the way she has. That wall takes away everything, imo.

Paige has already said in one of the post-game pressers from a few games back that she has hit the freshman wall, especially in practice when she finds herself mentally checked out, but she has adjusted to it after that.

Reaction Score
Well okay, with the reservation that I'd like to call them freshman next year with the idea that we've got them for another three years. I mean, those terms are going to be a little soft for the next four or five years right?
Come on, Geno's already bad for WCBB.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Paige has already said in one of the post-game pressers from a few games back that she has hit the freshman wall, especially in practice when she finds herself mentally checked out, but she has adjusted to it after that.
She's a freshman. She doesn't know what she is talking about.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Piath's spin move to a lefthand layup--She will get meaningful minutes next year. Few on the board agree with me but there is too much talent and size there to keep on the bench.
looks like plenty of people agree with you victor. I was just saying a couple games ago that she should get a few more minutes this year.

Reaction Score
3 point defense disappeared

The vast majority of teams relying heavily on 3 point shooting that UCONN plays can't beat UCONN with 3 point shots. Sure, as a teaching experience you make adjustments (especially against particular players) but essentially you concentrate on your ongoing needs to develop your team. IOW (and drastically over-simplifying): let them shoot all the threes they want.

If a team that can't beat you shoots lights out at the start and keeps the game close, you may make some noise (as a motivator or as a teaching opportunity) but basically you don't care.

Reaction Score
It is really not just about playing stronger per se; unfortunately, it seems the reflexive bringing the ball down seemingly imbedded in Ono‘s muscle memory makes her susceptible and somewhat defenseless against the double team. Every coach knows it, that’s why it is virtually a constant when she posts up.
At her size and especially against the smaller teams she should be finishing underneath a lot more. She should have a few and ones just about every game.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents.

We have people not named PB making shots now!

Perimeter defense is not good. We are late on the rotation and also when we sag to help and then can’t get back out. Many of these shots, including the misses, were wide open. In addition, it seemed that all of our guards, including PB, allowed a bit too much penetration in this game as well.

PB – 20 and 14 and leaves me wanting more. What can you say? It is not fair! She had a great game despite the shooting problems she is currently having. Obviously, some of her shots didn’t fall. Over the last three games, she has made 17-44 (39%) and 6-22 (27%) from three. There is no doubt that that is poor shooting.

However, the difference between PB and her teammates, is that her shots are not wide-open. She creates many of them and has little time to get them off these days. So, one would expect her percentage to go down…maybe not this much, however. She is definitely not shooting well lately. I do have every confidence that she will adapt and break back out again.

Looks gassed to me at times. Why does she have to play almost the entire game? I guess GA is looking down the road but I still think he can get her a few minutes off.

NM – another good game. I’ve noticed she has a knack for looking and finding PB in the half court. Some good dribble drive and kicks. I’m getting spoiled watching her hit 3 pointers. Soon, I will be expecting that and not hoping for it.

CW – another good game and shot the ball well. Showed off her explosion on the right-handed mid-air shot and a couple drives. But she had to hit her 3 pointers this game and she did so at a nice percentage which, if not for a foul away from the ball, she would have had another one too.

EW- Moving better than I have seen her in a long time. Had some quick change of directions moves that were impressive. Also hit some shots. I still remain mystified at her refusal to use her left hand going to the left side of the basket. I remember her using her left hand once all year long.

AE - Another great game. She may just turn into a double-double machine and why not? She is big, strong, tough, aggressive and has the skill and the ‘want to’. No reason why she can’t do something similar against top-flight teams. Seems to never get tired. Her lung capacity, like AG must me enormous. I am now starting to expect her to score, defend, grab rebounds in games. I think the team now depends on it.

Also and most impressively, she had a load of offensive rebounds, close to 10 by my count. Most players get a lot of offensive rebounds because they are rebounding their own misses. Yet, IIRC, AE missed 1 time the entire game, so she was not getting the 'easy and pad your own stats' offensive rebounds from her own missed shots. She was busting it to get us extra possessions by rebounding her teammates' missed shots! Very impressive indeed!

Liv – not bad but she is seriously fading on many of her shots the last two games. Not by much, but she is still fading a bit. Still came close to a double-double and she helps open things up for passes into AE. She has some added value with her passing skills. I wish she could be a bit tougher and she does try, but just doesn’t have enough strength and balance. Anyway, she still had a good game as well.

AG – may not score but look at her hound the opposition guards (and she is a power player herself) and then chase rebounds, block shots. A real nice piece to have off the bench. Still think she can do more…

PG – what a move! I really wish GA would give her 10 minutes one of these games, but I think he has his rotation just about set now although the return of AM might have him tinker a bit with it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For Paige the volume shots were there but not the efficiency. Guess you can't break records and be efficient at the same time. Aaliya was a beast. 3 point defense disappeared.
For some reason, it seemed like many of the times Paige called for the ball she didn't get it last night. UConn did not use skip passes as much as in past games. Did this hurt her % - don't know but still an awesome performance. Several magical passes.

Reaction Score
That's what I was thinking. ONO said something like "it's about time" and got T'd up. We'll never know because the media won't ask about it.
It probably wasn't "gosh golly". With virtual no fans, everyone might have heard it. If so, Geno didn't need an explanation. And if it was widely heard, well then the ref just had to T it up.

Reaction Score
At her size and especially against the smaller teams she should be finishing underneath a lot more. She should have a few and ones just about every game.
Except the point being her size becomes immaterial when she brings the ball down to the level of smaller players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom