Billy Donovan to Kentucky? NM | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Billy Donovan to Kentucky? NM

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Cal has continued to recruit in the NIL era, but he may still have the biggest war chest in the game. Prior to NIL, World Wide Wes delivered him player after player and everyone turned a blind eye to it. His recruiting talent was just as much about getting illegal resources as it was about talking to players. He was able to use his relationship with WWW to cheat brazenly. Major publications wrote articles about it, yet no one would stop it. That tells me Cal and UK made relationships at the NCAA that allowed him to cheat. They didn’t try to figure out what he was doing. His talent is talking his way in and out of situations. He’s a mediocre coach but a hell of a smooth talker.

He is wrong be because he’s pretending that cheating is the sole reason for Calipari landing high level recruits. I can’t imagine you agree Calipari’s not a good recruiter. Did he have success before and after WWW? Did WWW have a hand in the majority of the guys? Nobody is denying Calipari has always been sleazy. He had a title vacated before he even met WWW.

Reaction Score
He is wrong be because he’s pretending that cheating is the sole reason for Calipari landing high level recruits. I can’t imagine you agree Calipari’s not a good recruiter. Did he have success before and after WWW? Did WWW have a hand in the majority of the guys? Nobody is denying Calipari has always been sleazy. He had a title vacated before he even met WWW.
Fair enough. He can definitely work a room. That certainly helps in recruiting. I do agree with Nelson that the cheating was a leading factor though. He’s been cheating all the way back to Camby and Co. It’s hard to decipher just how good a recruiter he’d be without all of that dirty money behind him. Still, he’s a smooth talker and that lends itself to recruiting.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. He can definitely work a room. That certainly helps in recruiting. I do agree with Nelson that the cheating was a leading factor though. He’s been cheating all the way back to Camby and Co. It’s hard to decipher just how good a recruiter he’d be without all of that dirty money behind him. Still, he’s a smooth talker and that lends itself to recruiting.
He was well known as a cheater well before Camby. In fact, his first major one was stealing Jerome Lane from Villanova and getting him to flip to Pittsburgh. That's why Calhoun couldn't stand him nor could any other Big East coach.
Bill Bayno was the guy who got Camby and around the same time there was a Connecticut AAU guy who helped with other recruits and Worldwide Wes made him a star at Memphis.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
All of Calipari’s accomplishments prior to Kentucky were vacated, and the only reason that didn’t happen in Kentucky is because that program is untouchable. It is amazing some posters on a UConn board continue to argue he wasn’t a cheater.

Reaction Score
Seriously, if Donovan declines as well, who is left for UK to offer? I mean besides Kenny Payne.

Reaction Score
How many coaches will turn down Kentucky.? It’s quite entertaining

Maybe they bring back Pitino for a few years to get back on track. If he wasn’t 70 I’m sure he would be the guy. He speaks fondly of his time there

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I don't know... might take a sweet deal to pry him away from his alma mater. Get the Brinks truck gassed up.

Again, he doesn’t seem like the type of coach who deserves to deal with that fanbase

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If UK was smart (and apparently they’re not) they’d take Shaheen. I would certainly take him over anyone left on their list (after oats and Donovan).

Oats and Donovan may be on Kentucky’s list, but Kentucky is not on their list.

Holloway would be the smart move, but I think they will go with Pearl.

Reaction Score
Again, he doesn’t seem like the type of coach who deserves to deal with that fanbase
True enough. But I have it on good authority from a whole bunch of BBN experts that no one in their right mind can turn down a fat wad of cash.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know... might take a sweet deal to pry him away from his alma mater. Get the Brinks truck gassed up.

Seton Hall is not really trying, and Kentucky can pay stupid money. This doesn’t seem like a Kentucky move though, and a big chunk of UK fans will really not like Shaheen.

Reaction Score

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Reaction Score

Pope's probably a pretty decent coach after making BYU competitive in its first season in the Big 12 with whatever recruits they are able to accept there. But he definitely lacks the postseason success UK fans want and for which they sent Cal packing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom