Billy Donovan to Kentucky? NM | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Billy Donovan to Kentucky? NM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If they don’t get their top guy (Dan), 2nd guy (Oats), 3rd guy (Donovan) or even their 4th guy (Drew)… after being spurned by Cal (albeit likely mutually)….

It will say about their program, what they tried to say about us by going after Hurley.

You aren’t the top dogs today my blue-blooded friends, and your blue-blood doesn’t run quite as blue as ours.

Cin Cin
Don’t think it’s a Kentucky problem as much as a bit of a shift overall in the NIL/portal era. If you can raise NIL funds, it’s way easier for a good coach to elevate a program like Alabama than it used to be and a bunch of coaches have been prioritizing being in a comfortable position over a “premier” job and top dollar. I mean it definitely doesn’t help for Kentucky that the fanbase came out of the Cal fiasco looking absolutely terrible and they no longer have quite the same leg up with boosters willing to pay players when everyone is doing it.

Reaction Score
The answer is Bruce Pearl. He has always been the best choice. He has the charisma, coaching acumen, energy, and he is dirty as a snake stuck in the mud. Perfect fit for UK.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
FYI this INANE post is being repeatedly posted on the UK message board, so thanks for making us look like the classless fans.

Did you just wake up from a coma? They’ve had 9,000 black players since then.

Is the generative AI you use to write your posts set to “pro Kentucky“?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Is the generative AI you use to write your posts set to “pro Kentucky“?

Saying Calipari is a good recruiter (and nothing more) and that Uk fans don’t spit on black players makes me pro-UK? OK dude.

I haven’t rooted for Kentucky in a game since the one Laettner beat them in. But you do you.

Reaction Score
FYI this INANE post is being repeatedly posted on the UK message board, so thanks for making us look like the classless fans.

Did you just wake up from a coma? They’ve had 9,000 black players since then.
It’s amazing how little knowledge of history some people have. There were few I’d any black players in the SEC in the 50s and 60s. Kentucky had its first in 1971.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Saying Calipari is a good recruiter (and nothing more)

Calipari was good at paying players lots of money, which gave him a huge advantage as a coach for over 30 years when other programs couldn't and wouldn't do the same. That is not being a good recruiter.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It’s amazing how little knowledge of history some people have. There were few I’d any black players in the SEC in the 50s and 60s. Kentucky had its first in 1971.

Yeah everybody knows that. I also know about the Civil War. Do you think nobody should agree to coach Kentucky in 2024 because of what happened 60 years ago? Keep up with the conversation.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Calipari was good at paying players lots of money, which gave him a huge advantage as a coach for over 30 years when other programs couldn't and wouldn't do the same. That is not being a good recruiter.

We already had this conversation and you never had an answer for why he continued to bring in good classes after the rules changed. The incoming class (which will obviously change) is ranked #2 by 247.

He brings in good players. He just doesn’t do much with them. Interested to see what happens at Arkansas. Maybe it’ll force him to coach more.

Reaction Score
Yeah everybody knows that. I also know about the Civil War. Do you think nobody should agree to coach Kentucky in 2024 because of what happened 60 years ago? Keep up with the conversation.
It's bizarre, next they'll be talking about The Middle Passage.

Reaction Score
Saying Calipari is a good recruiter (and nothing more) and that Uk fans don’t spit on black players makes me pro-UK? OK dude.

I haven’t rooted for Kentucky in a game since the one Laettner beat them in. But you do you.
Wait… but who did you root for in 96?

Reaction Score
Too funny. Season just ended in glory and half the boneyard is looking for a brawl! lol
Welcome to the BoneYard, the place with very few filters, LOL.

Reaction Score
It's interesting to read the Kentucky posters. Saying UConn has no fans, it's a basketball program built up by ESPN, and wondering how in the world UConn can win 6 titles in 25 years with our facilities. They can't fathom why Hurley would stay here and believe that UConn is not anywhere near the basketball school that Kentucky is even nowadays. They are filling Hurley's twitter page begging him to come to UK. It's actually quite humerous.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We already had this conversation and you never had an answer for why he continued to bring in good classes after the rules changed. The incoming class (which will obviously change) is ranked #2 by 247.

He brings in good players. He just doesn’t do much with them. Interested to see what happens at Arkansas. Maybe it’ll force him to coach more.

Best ranked class in the history of classes, or whatever, still got bounced by a low major in the first round, AGAIN. I think you should call Kentucky and start an investigation into how a guy that is 45 and looks like he should be working 12 hour days right now since it is tax season still has eligibility to hit all those threes against Kentucky for a school called "Oakland" that is not even in California!

Maybe recruiting rankings are not as important as you would like them to be.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Best ranked class in the history of classes, or whatever, still got bounced by a low major in the first round, AGAIN. I think you should call Kentucky and start an investigation into how a guy that is 45 and looks like he should be working 12 hour days right now since it is tax season still has eligibility to hit all those threes against Kentucky for a school called "Oakland" that is not even in California!

Maybe recruiting rankings are not as important as you would like them to be.

You’re the king of straw men. I honestly can’t tell if you think you’re trying to pull a fast one or don’t understand how bad your argument is.

Obviously recruiting rankings are not the be-all, end-all. (Nobody said they were, although I understand you need to pretend I did in order to make your laughable arguments.) Coaching matters and upsets happen. But when you get top-5 classes for 15 years straight you’re not a bad recruiter and anybody who says you are has demonstrated a tenuous grip on reality.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Wait… but who did you root for in 96?
I rooted harder for Syracuse in that title game than any non-UConn team maybe ever. Also I loved the BC team that took down Carolina a few years before that.
Things change, I guess.

Reaction Score
You’re the king of straw men. I honestly can’t tell if you think you’re trying to pull a fast one or don’t understand how bad your argument is.

Obviously recruiting rankings are not the be-all, end-all. (Nobody said they were, although I understand you need to pretend I did in order to make your laughable arguments.) Coaching matters and upsets happen. But when you get top-5 classes for 15 years straight you’re not a bad recruiter and anybody who says you are has demonstrated a tenuous grip on reality.
I mean, I guess you'd have to believe that those top 5 classes were all overrated for 15 years in a row in order to believe he's a bad recruiter.

But rather than the mental gymnastics, I'd straightforwardly argue that he's a good recruiter and a bad coach. Other coaches would have gotten much more out of those recruiting classes, or done a better job structuring the roster to have a mix of veteran players and 1-and-dones.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I rooted harder for Syracuse in that title game than any non-UConn team maybe ever. Also I loved the BC team that took down Carolina a few years before that.
Things change, I guess.

I liked BC taking care of Carolina for two reasons 1) It cleared our path to what shouldve been our first FF (oh Donyell) 2) We were in the middle of beating BC about a kazillion times in a row that period, there was very little animosity toward BC back then. They were an inconsequential little brother. BC hatred didnt become a real thing until they torpedoed the whole BigEast in confernce realighment and then doubled down by lobbying against us.

So yea I was rooting for BC then.

Syracuse? Never. Was totally rooting for Kentucky.

Reaction Score
It's interesting to read the Kentucky posters. Saying UConn has no fans, it's a basketball program built up by ESPN, and wondering how in the world UConn can win 6 titles in 25 years with our facilities. They can't fathom why Hurley would stay here and believe that UConn is not anywhere near the basketball school that Kentucky is even nowadays. They are filling Hurley's twitter page begging him to come to UK. It's actually quite humerous.
Everyone wants something they can’t have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom