Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back." | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back."

Status
Not open for further replies.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I do think its a no brainer for Clingan to go pro but he would easily be the most recognizable player in college basketball, which is something to consider.
To me the sole reason to stay is would be to extend that period of one's life, namely time you get to spend with the friends, acquaintances, and connections made during the past couple of years. It's the "youth is wasted on the young" conundrum, one doesn't appreciate what one has until it is over.
Then there is this, how many college basketball players have three rings? Want to be mentioned with one of the greatest of all time? Kareem (nee Lew Aclindor) has three, and I can't think of another one. No sure what motivates him, but boy, I'm not sure how I'd feel if Samson lapped me and got that third one.

Reaction Score
Edey is not a similar player to Clingan, so him staying for four years has no relevancy to Clingans decision. His circumstances are also widely different, he was not a projected top 10 pick last year like DC is this year. It's like comparing Tyrese Martin decision to come back his senior year to Bouks decision to leave after his sophomore year. Different circumstances, different choices.
Your point was as a whole, BIGS see their draft stock decline as they get older. I point out an example where it doesn't and you dismiss it b/c it is not the exact player we are discussing. Then you change the playing field and bring 2 or 3 completely different players into the discussion.

And with respect to DC who DID improve his draft position last year to this, as did Edey, both refuting your original point it is an academic discussion as I think we both agree that DC is unquestionably a top-5 pick this year?!

If DC comes back it is not necessarily and almost assuredly not entirely to improve his draft position. Maybe it is to win 3 straight NC's, maybe it is to win POY, maybe it is to develop & dominate offensively, maybe its to go #1, maybe it is to graduate. Maybe it is to enjoy the basketball capital of the world for one more year? Nonetheless it is highly probable he enters the 2024 draft.
Regardless, why not wait to poop on the decision + reasoning and your fellow fans until we know it.

Reaction Score
DC might just return because college is an experience like no other. He might just want to be student-athlete for one more year. How many people on the board wouldn't give a million dollars to go back and experience another year at college as a young man in his early 20's.
Remember what he lost at such a young age. He's already learned some tough lessons in life. He might choose to spend a year with people/family that he wants to be around. I don't think he's a guy who needs a mansion, fully loaded SUV... etc.. I'm sure DC will have a talk with his dad and whatever they decide, we should just respect it.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I was told by someone with some Glastonbury contact to AD David Benedict that Castle was leaving and Clingan staying, but this was maybe a month or so ago. He clearly loves playing college ball at UConn.

Reaction Score
And I think both Hurley and his dad will likely give him that advice. I would give him that advice. But it's Donovan's life, and we don't know what he feels like he's ready for. I wasn't ready as a college sophomore to graduate and enter the working world. I needed all four years of my college time to mature enough (partly because I was a year younger than my grade-level peers). My college roommate paced himself to be on the five-year plan because he loved it so much. We both knew that once you enter the working world, that's it. It seems like it's different for that "gifted few," but the NBA is still the adult world. No one is holding your hand anymore, unless they're hoping to pry some dolla bills out of it.
The Big difference is your value to your future employer increased with age and additional education.
A part of Clingan’s appeal his his youth and a future NBA ability to mold him into a Workable NBA player . In addition even at 25 you have a 30-35 year window or more of growth . His window at peak may be 5, 10 or 15 if he is unusually lucky.

Reaction Score
That wasn't the point but ok. Way before NIL, many players who could have left didn't follow the $ to go pro. DC may be on the old school path like those back in the day that enjoyed called life and also wanted to be closer to getting that degree
You can finish a degree over time but the clock is always ticking on an initial contract for millions.

Getting a degree as a consideration is overrated.

Reaction Score
A lottery pick doesn't mean a damn thing if he can't hold his own. He would go much higher and be better prepared for the draft with 1 more year of strength conditioning and developing a hook shot. He gets pushed around too much and in the pros they are much stronger than college players,
They have better strength conditioning and nutrition in the pros. Hook shot? Is he becoming Kareem?

Reaction Score
As father of several kids, I know the sacrifice a parent makes in raising a child.
Dad will give him the best advice.
It's time Dad got some return on his investment!
Or perhaps Donovan has lost one parent and values being close to his dad. Everything is not about money. Money does not make people happy. I hope he does what makes him and his dad happy. Only they now

Reaction Score
To me the sole reason to stay is would be to extend that period of one's life, namely time you get to spend with the friends, acquaintances, and connections made during the past couple of years. It's the "youth is wasted on the young" conundrum, one doesn't appreciate what one has until it is over.
Then there is this, how many college basketball players have three rings? Want to be mentioned with one of the greatest of all time? Kareem (nee Lew Aclindor) has three, and I can't think of another one. No sure what motivates him, but boy, I'm not sure how I'd feel if Samson lapped me and got that third one.
I can imagine it's a tough decision. He's not just BMOC he's one of the highest profile people in the state. His friends are here. His family is here. He just went back to back and if he comes back there's a good chance at being in rarified air.

Who knows how much he's making in NIL now and who knows what he might make if he comes back as the face of college basketball. And it's not like he won't go to the league anyway even if he stays again. And even if he got hurt I'm sure the insurance payout will have him comfortable for life. He'll probably make enough next year in endorsements to be comfortable for life even if he comes back.

Is it a better business decision to go? Yeah. Will he be a better basketball player sooner if he goes? Yeah. But it's not like he's going to suffer if he doesn't. I still think everyone around him should be telling him to leave but he can make his own decision.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
DC might just return because college is an experience like no other. He might just want to be student-athlete for one more year. How many people on the board wouldn't give a million dollars to go back and experience another year at college as a young man in his early 20's.
Remember what he lost at such a young age. He's already learned some tough lessons in life. He might choose to spend a year with people/family that he wants to be around. I don't think he's a guy who needs a mansion, fully loaded SUV... etc.. I'm sure DC will have a talk with his dad and whatever they decide, we should just respect it.
This.

Reaction Score
I think he should go. He has nothing to prove here anymore. He’s forever a legend here. Important piece on 2 championship teams. We know the kind of player and person he is. He’s the best. He’s a lock as a lottery pick right now in a supposedly so-so draft class. I wouldn’t want him to risk injury. He will be an awesome representation of Uconn in the NBA. However, selfishly it would be awesome
to have him back, but he should declare IMO.

Reaction Score
Towards the end of the video, billis says that he thinks clinging is coming back. Is he smoking crack, or is there any possibility of this? Of course I would love for him to play one more year as a Husky, But I don't see any way he comes back as an almost guaranteed lottery pick in the draft.

He might have meant Karaban.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If he were to return, and that’s a big if…is there a non zero chance that a certain creepy baby loving 2024 recruit de commits to join DC?
No

Reaction Score
DC should leave , he literally has a tottery ticket in his hand rn lol, just has to go cash it in. BUT , if he should he return AND stay healthy , he could easily win NPOY, All American and another title. Which makes him UConns GOAT as the hometown kid. He also would be modern college basketball GOAT too. Very tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom