Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back." | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
the NBAs propensity to punish older players in the draft, it is a significant risk.
Are they getting "punished" for staying or is it a matter of the best prospects leaving early? A senior from last year is going to make the NBA all-Rookie team.

Reaction Score
This is true. NIL changes things.

I understand where DC may hesitate. Remember your first paycheck? Going from 0$ as a student to even a few hundred dollars in your pocket with little expenses made you feel rich. DC has no expenses, and is making a good amount of money as a student. He doesn't see the need for 20mill$ that a 30+ BY with kids and a mortgage does.
Plus, he is on top of the world. He is 2x champ, a legend on campus and on TV. In the NBA he would be another Rook earning his stripes.
They have a finite career. Not 40 yrs. The sooner he gets to his second contract the better

someone in another thread speculated that Bilas meant Karaban, not Clingan

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Are they getting "punished" for staying or is it a matter of the best prospects leaving early? A senior from last year is going to make the NBA all-Rookie team.

I do think they get punished (in the form of lower draft position) for staying unless their perceived improvement outweighs the perceived diminution in their potential that comes with being a year older. And I think that doesn't happen all that often.

Reaction Score
What would be more fun, hanging with his buddy Rosa and teammates or doing one night stands in the NBA with a bunch of 30-35 year old self absorbed millionaires.?
He and Karaban could both improve offensively with year of being more of "the man" on offense in a college basketball setting than guarding the bench in NBA or other pro league.

Reaction Score
Hurley is on the record saying that if a guy is a lottery pick, he will essentially force them to leave. In hindsight, a guy like Bouknight needed an extra year just to mature as an adult, but Clingan is not Bouknight. There are zero red flags with him.

Would we all selfishly love to have him back? Absolutely. But you cannot pass up guaranteed generational wealth as a 19 year old. He'll have a long NBA career regardless of whether or not he stays one more year or gets drafted in the top 10 (unless he gets drafted by Charlotte.....)
Hurley was on record before nil became serious money. You second paragraph supports staying as much as going. Kid could make more money in endorsements this year than nba salary

Reaction Score
Yes, they do get punished.

In the last 10 lotteries, there has been a total of 20 players drafted 21 or older. In percentage terms, that's 14% of lottery picks.

Their average draft slot? 10th

It's even more skewed for big men. Of those 20 players, only two of them were 7 footers and they were both drafted in 2014.

So for the last 9 drafts, there has been no player 21 or older drafted in the lottery that was also 7'.

Reaction Score
Boneyarders ripping on Kentucky fans for being crazy and stupid while this thread is three pages long. SMDH
But yet you felt the need to participate. Such a pet peeve in the BY when people kill threads they join.

Reaction Score
Hurley was on record before nil became serious money. You second paragraph supports staying as much as going. Kid could make more money in endorsements this year than nba salary
And he can still make 90% of those endorsements while making his NBA salary as well

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

In the last 10 lotteries, there has been a total of 20 players drafted 21 or older. In percentage terms, that's 14% of lottery picks.

It's even more skewed for big men. Of those 20 players, only two of them were 7 footers and they were both drafted in 2014.

So for the last 9 drafts, there has been no player 21 or older drafted in the lottery that was also 7'.
That's all correlation not causation.

Reaction Score
And he can still make 90% of those endorsements while making his NBA salary as well
Why do people think he would suddenly stop getting sponsorships when he would be in a more much visible position playing in the NBA?

If anything, he would probably get more.

Reaction Score
Sure, but If donovan were to come back (doubtful) he would be the face of college basketball for the entire year. Not Caitlin Clark level of endorsements and oversaturation, but still.

If we were then to get a threepeat, with him dominating, he is Bill Walton or Kareem. Any endorsements in the pros would be that much larger because of his brand. People still know Laettner, he is still on ads. Not because he played 15 yrs in the pros. Bet most couldnt name what teams he played for in the NBA. But he is a college legend and still spoken of, earning $ from his Duke years. If DC were to come back and threepeat, his legend & future endorsements do grow. I still think probably should go, but i dont think its a complete no-brainer

Reaction Score
This is the most fun he will ever have here at UConn ……in his life. My college years were my best and I knew it while it was happening. Hanging out with my buds, chillin having the time of my life…every day.
Donovan has all that plus 100 times more with his team connection, championships, fame and money.
Hard to walk from that but if there was a way to guarantee 20 million I would say to consider it but….he has to go.

Reaction Score
Sure, but If donovan were to come back (doubtful) he would be the face of college basketball for the entire year. Not Caitlin Clark level of endorsements and oversaturation, but still.

If we were then to get a threepeat, with him dominating, he is Bill Walton or Kareem. Any endorsements in the pros would be that much larger because of his brand. People still know Laettner, he is still on ads. Not because he played 15 yrs in the pros. Bet most couldnt name what teams he played for in the NBA. But he is a college legend and still spoken of, earning $ from his Duke years. If DC were to come back and threepeat, his legend & future endorsements do grow. I still think probably should go, but i dont think its a complete no-brainer
I think you're severely overstating the value of being the face of college basketball. It was probably Zach Edey this year, and if you were to ask the average basketball fan I doubt he even cracks the top 100 of most recognizable players

Reaction Score
If he comes back, he can use some of that NIL dough to purchase injury insurance. If he were to stay in Storrs, a third title is a distinct possibility.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If he comes back, he can use some of that NIL dough to purchase injury insurance. If he were to stay in Storrs, a third title is a distinct possibility.
School provides it, no?

Reaction Score

Short-sighted analysis when you literally have Zach Edey sitting right in front improving his position by coming back.

From the Deacon part of my handle was around when Tim Duncan defied the odds twice and spent 3 years in college. Pretty sure it turned out ok. Clingan had two great options to pick from.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The BYers, DH. Mrs, DH - none of us really know what DC is thinking or leaning. Maybe DC doesn't even know himself for sure.
This is something he will decide with the help of his father, DH, and NBA feedback.
If he goes great - if he stays great
It's one or the other
Insurance money isn't going to compare to a lottery salary with guarantees
NIL money isn't coming close to NBA lottery money.
He knows that and that is part of the decision making process.
He is facing a difficult but extremely envious situation. I would trade places with him. :p

Reaction Score
I mean look, I don’t care how much the NBA contract pays him….for the first time in his life, basketball will be….a job. A fun, well compensated job, sure. But work nonetheless with all the attendant pressures. I understand getting rich and balancing off the risk of injury but the notion of being a ‘professional’ has to at least be considered, and everything that goes along with it.

Josh Hart and Jalen Brunson have actually talked about this on the their podcast several times. They both graduated from Villanova and were out of eligibility so their decision was academic. But they still said the adjustments were tremendous and the single hardest thing about life in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Why do people think he would suddenly stop getting sponsorships when he would be in a more much visible position playing in the NBA?

If anything, he would probably get more.
Not necessarily, buried on bench in nba does not get endorsements. Being the face of college basketball does

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
as a duke guy, mr. bilas is very familiar with heralded recruits having to come back to school because they aren't good enough yet. his bias is showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom