Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back." | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Bilas: "I think there's a very good chance Donovan Clingan comes back."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Towards the end of the video, billis says that he thinks clinging is coming back. Is he smoking crack, or is there any possibility of this? Of course I would love for him to play one more year as a Husky, But I don't see any way he comes back as an almost guaranteed lottery pick in the draft.

A lottery pick doesn't mean a damn thing if he can't hold his own. He would go much higher and be better prepared for the draft with 1 more year of strength conditioning and developing a hook shot. He gets pushed around too much and in the pros they are much stronger than college players,

Reaction Score
Not necessarily, buried on bench in nba does not get endorsements. Being the face of college basketball does
Clingan is not going to be buried on a bench. He's going to be a top 10 pick.
Short-sighted analysis when you literally have Zach Edey sitting right in front improving his position by coming back.

From the Deacon part of my handle was around when Tim Duncan defied the odds twice and spent 3 years in college. Pretty sure it turned out ok. Clingan had two great options to pick from.

So you're using an example from 25 years ago as proof that Clingan should come back in the year 2024? Really convincing

Also, Edey is not even close to being the same pro prospect as DC. That's why he stayed all four years in college. You think Sanogo would have benefited from coming back his senior year?

Reaction Score
When I was in kindergarten at the age of 5, I got pushed ahead into first grade mid-year because I was a little ahead of the other kids educationally (especially my reading/writing level). But that didn't change the fact that I was still five years old emotionally and physically, so I was always behind the kids in my class developmentally (aside from academics). That impacted me all the way through college, but was an especially big deal in middle school and high school. Being a year, sometimes two, younger than the kids in my grade meant it was hard to fit in. I couldn't relate to where they were at a lot of the time. I just felt way younger, and for a few years, smaller.

It also sucked not being able to legally drink until two weeks before my college graduation!

Imagine being a 12yo high school freshman in the South Bronx. Oh man. It was brutal. I don't even know how I made it out. Crazy crazy. Physically I was a prepubescent youngin' surrounded by what felt like a school full of Donovan Clingans teenagers. LOL. I refused to play basketball in the gym. I only picked up basketball in college

I found my space when I made it to Stony Brook as the college kids are nicer and more open minded. But like I said. I was only 16 there so there was still a lag. Made a lot of stupid childish decisions while there also. I don't necessarily have any regrets, But I do agree that a year or two in our teenage years is significant in terms of maturity. For one thing - with more information and time in my hands - I would have chosen a different degree for sure.

No regrets - I did get to enjoy traveling to UConn on weekends to visit my girl/wife and two national championships (2010, 2014). LOL. I remember the beatdown UConn gave to Stony Brook back in November 2010. I was there.

Oh the memories!

----> BACK ON TOPIC:

May DC make the best move. IMO I think he is gone if he gets a good draft pick. I don't think he will pass on it.

But lets see what happens...

Reaction Score
As father of several kids, I know the sacrifice a parent makes in raising a child.
Dad will give him the best advice.
It's time Dad got some return on his investment!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
A lottery pick doesn't mean a damn thing if he can't hold his own. He would go much higher and be better prepared for the draft with 1 more year of strength conditioning and developing a hook shot. He gets pushed around too much and in the pros they are much stronger than college players,
He shouldn't come back. Weak draft and his stock will never be higher. He'll get 23/7/365 training and get paid for it

Reaction Score
There is no chance that he would have greater development at UConn than he would in the NBA or even the G-league, where he would have not only pro coaching/training/facilities he'd be without the limitations of having to go to school.

His draft stock will not get much higher even if he were to stay. It's not a good draft class. He's a projected lottery pick who will make millions more than he ever would in NIL, and with a contract that guarantees that money over a number of years.

It would be amazing if he stays, but other than him wanting to experience college for another any other argument for him staying v going where the NBA isn't the obvious answer is non-sensical.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s so understandable that these kids want to stay at UConn but take the money and run if it’s right.

Reaction Score
If his analysis say lottery, I'm pretty sure he'll be packing his bags.

Reaction Score
Clingan is not going to be buried on a bench. He's going to be a top 10 pick.

So you're using an example from 25 years ago as proof that Clingan should come back in the year 2024? Really convincing

Also, Edey is not even close to being the same pro prospect as DC. That's why he stayed all four years in college. You think Sanogo would have benefited from coming back his senior year?
The Duncan example is much better (at least I didn't use Ralph Samson ;) than your straw man Sanogo example WHO DID STAY 3 YEARS AND IMPROVED HIS POSITION.
The Edey point was about someone's [oh wait that was HowSway - lol] analysis of centers and older players staying in school, not a player comp.
However Edey being able to outplay Clingan at this snapshot in time despite having way lower NBA potential and draft stock certainly makes a case for Clingan staying at UConn.

Don't understand why UConn fans would be jerks to each other about just making the message board pros and cons that Clingan will consider?
Do you deny that there is A possibility for DC to have a Tim Duncan like NBA career if he plays another year at UConn!? Will you be mad bro if Clingan stays?!
If you feel that way then yeah, it does make sense to tear into fellow UConn fans.

Regardless DC will do what he wants and I like most UConn fans will FULLY support him either way.

Reaction Score
Go much higher? He’s going to be a top 10 pick now. Work on hook shots? Just an FYI: there are 2 players in the entire NBA right now averaging more than 5 post ups a game: Jokic & Embiid. That’s the list. Post up, 1-on-1, offensive post up type sets we see with Edey don’t happen in the NBA.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The only argument I could see is if he legitimately doesn’t believe he’s ready and wants to work on his offensive game. I think he’s a day one defensive presence but he’s years away offensively. You know every kid who sees him on campus is saying “one more year!” But in such a weak draft it seems unlikely.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
As father of several kids, I know the sacrifice a parent makes in raising a child.
Dad will give him the best advice.
It's time Dad got some return on his investment!
That's how I view my kids; an opportunity to turn a profit on the blood, sweat and tears I'm investing...

Reaction Score
Not much as far as Clingan's future plans, but a peek into his current state of mind (for my hot take, it sounds like they are both gone, which is expected):
But Clingan and Castle have a decision to make, and soon. Stay at school or go pro.

They have already won a championship. Clingan’s got two. Is it time to go?

“It’s hard to say bye to a school like this. Coming off back-to-back titles you love it you want to keep competing and keep winning. In my head it’s just hard to step away from that,” Clingan said.

“I haven’t made any decisions yet still a lot of talks to go through, but I will probably be making that decision sometime soon,” said Castle.

Reaction Score
I would not be completely surprised if Clingan returned but obviously do not think he should for financial reasons.
I have always felt that playing for UCONN is this kids dream and he is just having too much fun.
In the era of NIL he’s gonna get paid whether he goes or not and believe NIL could actually start gete o

Guys who stay the longest will be those who are college stars and not likely to be an NBA star so their options are limited to Europe, etc.They'll stay in college where they can be succesful and make more money than they would elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Short-sighted analysis when you literally have Zach Edey sitting right in front improving his position by coming back.

From the Deacon part of my handle was around when Tim Duncan defied the odds twice and spent 3 years in college. Pretty sure it turned out ok. Clingan had two great options to pick from.
Don’t get much higher than top-5ish. Also its a weak draft, he would certainly not go as high next year.

Reaction Score
If Donovan wants to stay Hurley cannot force him to enter the NBA draft. Hurley would be going against what he just did - turned down a $100 million bag from UK so that he can continue to coach at UConn BECAUSE HE LIKES IT HERE. If Donovan is enjoying his time at UConn Hurley cannot force him out.

Reaction Score
The Duncan example is much better (at least I didn't use Ralph Samson ;) than your straw man Sanogo example WHO DID STAY 3 YEARS AND IMPROVED HIS POSITION.
The Edey point was about someone's [oh wait that was HowSway - lol] analysis of centers and older players staying in school, not a player comp.
However Edey being able to outplay Clingan at this snapshot in time despite having way lower NBA potential and draft stock certainly makes a case for Clingan staying at UConn.

Don't understand why UConn fans would be jerks to each other about just making the message board pros and cons that Clingan will consider?
Do you deny that there is A possibility for DC to have a Tim Duncan like NBA career if he plays another year at UConn!? Will you be mad bro if Clingan stays?!
If you feel that way then yeah, it does make sense to tear into fellow UConn fans.

Regardless DC will do what he wants and I like most UConn fans will FULLY support him either way.
Edey is not a similar player to Clingan, so him staying for four years has no relevancy to Clingans decision. His circumstances are also widely different, he was not a projected top 10 pick last year like DC is this year. It's like comparing Tyrese Martin decision to come back his senior year to Bouks decision to leave after his sophomore year. Different circumstances, different choices.

Reaction Score
This should not be a difficult decision. If you are a lottery pick, you leave and take the $25+ million.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley- set for life financially if he stays or goes to Kentucky.

Donovan Clingan- Not set for life financially until he gets drafted 1st round.

These situations are not the same.

Reaction Score
I do think its a no brainer for Clingan to go pro but he would easily be the most recognizable player in college basketball, which is something to consider.

Reaction Score
Clingan isn't going to get playing time in the NBA until he polishes his offensive game. But that bag is that bag. Need to get it.
I was told he has a 3 point shot. So this shouldn’t be an issue

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I see an NIL opportunity for one of the insurance companies in Hartford (are there any left?). The Insurance Capital covers the Basketball Capital - Donovan protects the basket while we protect him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom