Big 12 thread ('23-'24) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 12 thread ('23-'24)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
UCF gets their first ever Big 12 win, in OT against Houston.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Does that really count considering its over a fellow 1st year member?
I think it counts. I realize all of the first year members have been struggling thus far.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Don't look now, but BYU is taking K State down to the wire, and it's in Manhattan even.

Reaction Score
West Virginia got a career high 31 from Quinerly and sent Iowa St. to to their third loss in as many games played. They did get a forfeit win against TCU.

To be fair I think we would have beaten TCU in Ames. Freshman Audi Crooks had a great game, 25 points and 16 rebounds. Senior PG Ryan coughed up a hairball of a game, 9 turnovers. WVU had a great shooting game from three. Their guard JJ Quinerly had a great game, she was pretty much the difference maker, 31 points and played all 40 minute.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
To be fair I think we would have beaten TCU in Ames.
No doubt, wouldn't have even needed Hilton magic. TCU has been stuck in struggle city for quite a while now.

Reaction Score
Texas beat Cincy w/o Booker, who suffered an hamstring injury. Apparently Texas played a 3-2 zone in that game... I've never heard of Vic playing zone ever! We have struggled significantly against zone this season--so they may break that out again on Thursday. We were better against Oklahoma St's zone but they only played it a quarter (and aren't really a zone team)--probably b/c they weren't able to box out

Reaction Score
Texas beat Cincy w/o Booker, who suffered an hamstring injury. Apparently Texas played a 3-2 zone in that game... I've never heard of Vic playing zone ever! We have struggled significantly against zone this season--so they may break that out again on Thursday. We were better against Oklahoma St's zone but they only played it a quarter (and aren't really a zone team)--probably b/c they weren't able to box out

Missed that news. Not a great week to be without a star starter, Baylor on Thursday and KSU on Saturday. Wonder how long she'll be out? Seems like MLB players are always pulling/straining hamstrings but you don't hear about that being a big one in WBB (at least not that I recall).

Reaction Score
Iowa State managed to get by a feisty Oklahoma State in Ames tonight. With Hannah Gusters out I thought Cyclones might win by 20 pounding the paint but Cowgirls played some inspired ball and even had the lead in the 3rd.

Cyclone freshman Audi Crooks put in 29. She's gone 25, 25, 29 her last three games and is up to 20.3/game in league play.

Sooners managed to hold off KSU by 3 and give Wildcats their first league loss.

mred

Iowa State Cyclones
Reaction Score
Cyclone freshman Audi Crooks put in 29. She's gone 25, 25, 29 her last three games and is up to 20.3/game in league play.
Plus ISU got not one but two near triple-doubles: Emily Ryan with 9 pts, 9 reb, 14 assists and Addy Brown with 14 pts, 8 reb, 9 assists. It's reportedly the first time since at least 91-92 that ISU has had two players with 9+ assists in the same game. As a team, ISU had 27 assists on 32 made FG.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oof, Iowa St. about to lose to last place UCF. That would be a very bad loss for the young Cyclones.

Reaction Score
Oof, Iowa St. about to lose to last place UCF. That would be a very bad loss for the young Cyclones.
Most definitely but like you said, this is a young team. Considering who they lost, Ryan being out for a significant portion of the season, did many think they'd have the record they do currently?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's a pretty bad loss, but even UCF is in the top 100 of the NET, so not as bad as losing, say, to Wake Forest or ASU or Pitt or Rutgers or Northwestern or Kentucky.

No nights off in the Big 12! :D

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's a pretty bad loss, but even UCF is in the top 100 of the NET, so not as bad as losing, say, to Wake Forest or ASU or Pitt or Rutgers or Northwestern or Kentucky.

No nights off in the Big 12! :D
I think you are too reliant on NET. Not long ago you were convinced Santa Clara was the second best team in the WCC because of NET. They are currently in 5th place.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cincinnati beat Texas Tech by 18. The newcomers are starting to scratch out a few more wins against the incumbents here and there.

Reaction Score
It’s a tough time of the year - half way through conference, 2 games a week, with games that may be less than 72 hours a part. Lots of credit to the players of UCF and Cinci for staying engaged and playing with great energy.

Reaction Score

Yah, that's bad loss on the resume. Gotta give the Knights credit though, they played a good game. Cyclones Audi Crooks had 15 points and 11 rebounds but they defended her really well and limited her to 9 FG attempts. She'd gone off for 25, 25 and 29 the last three games.

Likely drops Cyclones out of the NCAA's unless they go on a crazy run which it doesn't currently look like they can do. Still 7-4 in conference but 13-7 overall with seven conference games left. Can't see an invite with less than 18 wins even with a winning conference record. And technically the TCU forfeit is tossed out except for conference standings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sooner's are the new #1 with Lee-less KSU a game back. Sooners now look like the "sleeper". Barely in the Top 25 but just keep winning.

My young Cyclone's are augering in. They looked surprising good through seven game in conference and now look surprising BAD. Early success looks like fools gold. NIT bound now. Maybe a bit of fools gold for fans and for them maybe reading their own pressing clippings, teams adjusting and freshmen hitting the wall.

Reaction Score
Sooner's are the new #1 with Lee-less KSU a game back. Sooners now look like the "sleeper". Barely in the Top 25 but just keep winning.

My young Cyclone's are augering in. They looked surprising good through seven game in conference and now look surprising BAD. Early success looks like fools gold. NIT bound now. Maybe a bit of fools gold for fans and for them maybe reading their own pressing clippings, teams adjusting and freshmen hitting the wall.
I watched the Oklahoma game. ISU looked like a tired team to me, but it could just be Oklahoma's extra fired-up performance made them look that way. It's not a fun thing to go through, but when you depend on so many youngsters, it's not surprising when they are a bit inconsistent. Brown and Crooks, in particular, just looked a bit off to me. I enjoyed the close of the game when all five freshmen were on the floor together. The future is bright.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Not surprised that ISU is slumping now with all those freshmen; that longer season often affects both men and women that 1st year in D1. Addy Brown just looks tired out there after playing like an All-Big 12 candidate earlier this year. Emily Ryan is the one that surprises me: she's scoring but she's been extremely sloppy with the ball vs previous seasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not surprised that they're slumping now with all those freshmen; that longer season often affects both men and women that 1st year in D1. Addy Brown just looks tired out there after playing like an All-Big 12 candidate earlier this year. Emily Ryan is the one that surprises me: she's scoring but she's been extremely sloppy with the ball vs previous seasons.

Brown was sick for a time and think that combined with the "freshman wall" could be a combo that seems to have derailed her. Not sure what to think about Ryan's play. Anything I might say would be biased by the fact she's never really been a favorite of mine.

Unless I can work around ESPN+ blocking it being streamed outside the country I am going to miss all of the games for the next few weeks. Men Cyclone hit #10 in the polls so I'll be missing more with them than with our gals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom