Big 12 thread ('23-'24) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big 12 thread ('23-'24)

mred

Iowa State Cyclones
Reaction Score
Just saw this. Wow. Even before Sedona Prince was hurt there were games where they only played six. Than yesterday starter Jaden Owens announced she tore her ACL. :(

This sucks. Was looking forward to seeing Audi Crooks play against the veteran Sedona Prince. That wasn't going to anyway which was bad enough but having to forfeit really sucks for them and the league both.

Same is true of Oklahoma State, ton of injuries to where they signed a graduate transfer at the semester break for half a season.
TCU played 10 players vs Houston on Saturday. They lost Owens in that game, but that's still nine players. I wonder if they have an illness going through their team at the moment.

mred

Iowa State Cyclones
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
My team tonight. :eek:

giphy.gif

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Can't stand prosperity ... guess I can suspend searching for my Iowa State sweatshirt.
I knew it! Does it count as falling off the bandwagon if you hadn't quite managed to climb onto it yet?

Reaction Score

giphy.gif

Nah..... it's not that bad. It was an 8 point loss. There are other losses in the B12 that are a lot worse.

Brown had an off night. Diew needs to provide points as a starter, but overall considering no one expected much out of the team this year, this loss shouldn't be seen as a horrible one. Bad, maybe. Horrible, no.

Reaction Score

giphy.gif
I thought when they cut it to four in the third quarter that the handwriting was on the wall. They looked like a good team that was finally hitting its stride after taking a few blows. Credit to Texas Tech, though. They battled right back and managed the fourth quarter very well in closing out the win. That's a quality I truly admire lately since it is something my Commodores have struggled mightily with all season, and it finally cost them Sunday when Missouri rallied from 12 down to win in Nashville.

Texas Tech shot it lights out from long distance, especially in the first half, and with Brown having a down game, it's not a shocker that ISU came up a bit short. I really enjoy watching them play. I'm a big fan of Brown and Emily Ryan, and it's fascinating watching the development of Crooks. She's going to be a major force for years to come.

Reaction Score
ISU Brown is a much better player as a freshman than her 5th year senior sister at Duke

Reaction Score
Nah..... it's not that bad. It was an 8 point loss. There are other losses in the B12 that are a lot worse.

Brown had an off night. Diew needs to provide points as a starter, but overall considering no one expected much out of the team this year, this loss shouldn't be seen as a horrible one. Bad, maybe. Horrible, no.

By pre-season expectations it was not a bad loss. By where they were sitting, at 6-0 pre-game with a TCU forfeit, it's sort of bad. Maybe fool's gold to expect a title run but we were in first place. Maybe got exposed some here. Thing is we never win the regular season title and we are adding teams that will make up for Texas leaving and it will be even harder the next couple of years even with the team maturing. We won the Big 12 tournament last year but for me the tournament title, regardless of how it qualifies for the NCAA's, is a consolation prize.

Reaction Score
Huge blow to KSU's title chase as it was announced that Ayoka Lee is out for four weeks with an ankle fracture. Guessing "four weeks" is maybe optimistic and they hope to have her back for March. I'm a rival fan but everyone likes Lee and knows about all of her knee issues so this is just more suck news for the Big 12. Maybe the hopeful side of it for KSU is that the same players played last year without her so hopefully can fall back on that experience and push through this.

Was also posted in the injury thread but since it has big implications to the Big 12 title race I am posting it here also

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I suspect K State will still be a solid team w/o Lee, but who knows. Looks like Jackson only played 6 min in K State's win over Kansas. We are favored by 5-6 tonight at home. Obviously we haven't been playing well lately, but there were some signs of life for the O against UCF

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Baylor must've made a heckuva deal with the basketball gods because this will be twice now they get to play one of their best Big 12 opponents very soon after the star player goes out with injury. First Harmon, now Lee.

Reaction Score
I suspect K State will still be a solid team w/o Lee, but who knows. Looks like Jackson only played 6 min in K State's win over Kansas. We are favored by 5-6 tonight at home. Obviously we haven't been playing well lately, but there were some signs of life for the O against UCF

I thought the polls with Kansas State as #4 was sort of odd. I get they have been playing great but Lee is out for a month. and "maybe" back in time for season's close. It's the same team/players that went 5-13 in league play last year without Lee.

Reaction Score
I thought the polls with Kansas State as #4 was sort of odd. I get they have been playing great but Lee is out for a month. and "maybe" back in time for season's close. It's the same team/players that went 5-13 in league play last year without Lee.
That raises an interesting question:

Should pollsters
1) rank teams on how they have played OR
2) rank players on how the pollster thinks they will finish the season?

Reaction Score

Should pollsters

I've always wondered what the criteria for the AP Top 25 is. Don't think that's every been clarified

Reaction Score

Should pollsters

Weekly polls should be how they are/have played with a bias towards "right now this week". With that criteria I would have KSU in the Top 10 but you really can't say Top 4 without Lee. Losing Lee AND moving up makes no sense to me.

Will be more interesting for seeding come March. If KSU stubbles along over the next eight/ten games but gets Lee back, how do you seed them?

Anyway, big game for Big 12 fans tonight. The Lee-less Wildcats in Waco versus the somewhat slumping Baylor Bears. Still, if KSU wins is it "Man, the gals are playing well without Lee" or will it be "Man, Baylor just isn't playing well"

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Is the Big 12 going to cannibalize itself? Oklahoma St. took what seems like a fairly costly loss to Cincinnati by 2. Oklahoma has Texas in trouble.

Reaction Score
Pre-season fav Texas and Baylor are now in 5th place and 6th place. Did not see Texas losing at home to the Sooners.

My Cyclones are starting to show they were pretenders and not true surprise contenders. Lost at Kansas tonight and, other than Crooks, looked pretty bad.

Reaction Score
Is the Big 12 going to cannibalize itself? Oklahoma St. took what seems like a fairly costly loss to Cincinnati by 2. Oklahoma has Texas in trouble.

A mid-tier team losing to a lower tier team isn't exactly a shocker. Not sure what to think about some of the other action so far this week.
  • Is OU really better than Texas or is Texas just not as good as thought? Still skeptical about Sooners.
  • Is KSU really that good without Lee? Still skeptical.
  • Is the Cyclone mini-run at some glory over? Probably.
  • Is Baylor out of it? Probably.

Reaction Score
A mid-tier team losing to a lower tier team isn't exactly a shocker. Not sure what to think about some of the other action so far this week.
  • Is OU really better than Texas or is Texas just not as good as thought? Still skeptical about Sooners.
  • Is KSU really that good without Lee? Still skeptical.
  • Is the Cyclone mini-run at some glory over? Probably.
  • Is Baylor out of it? Probably.

1). I have to find it but Coach Schaefer was not happy with the effort of Texas. Injuries are one thing, heart is another.

2). KSU was competitive without Lee last season. They still have a good core that can play hard. It's fair to be skeptical but this team has survived without Lee before.

3). ISU was expected to be up and down. My question to ISU fans is what's going on with Diew? As one of the more senior players, I was expecting more of her this season.

4). Baylor....ummmmmm.....no clue but they definitely should be better than what they've showed recently.

Reaction Score
1). I have to find it but Coach Schaefer was not happy with the effort of Texas. Injuries are one thing, heart is another.

2). KSU was competitive without Lee last season. They still have a good core that can play hard. It's fair to be skeptical but this team has survived without Lee before.

3). ISU was expected to be up and down. My question to ISU fans is what's going on with Diew? As one of the more senior players, I was expecting more of her this season.

4). Baylor....ummmmmm.....no clue but they definitely should be better than what they've showed recently.

No idea what's up with Diew. She's pretty much contributing nothing on offense right now. She was just missing every shot he took, now she looks like she's afraid to shot. Both equal no points from that position. Freshman Jalynn Bristow is getting more minutes now. Most fans want to see her more and Diew less based on their play the last couple of weeks.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
West Virginia got a career high 31 from Quinerly and sent Iowa St. to to their third loss in as many games played. They did get a forfeit win against TCU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom