Big 12 thread ('23-'24) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 thread ('23-'24)

Reaction Score
I watched most of the game last night and while I am not a Nicki Collen fan, that new arena was rocking and Baylor got over their 1st half jitters and smoked TCU and their pathetic 304th ranked schedule in the second half. Baylor is for real (or at least until the 2nd round of the NCAAT).:rolleyes:

Caught the 4th quarter after my ISU game was over. Really hated the high camera in the ceiling view for TV. Hope that's something they can move to a better angle.

The post-game courtside interview with Baylor sophomore Bella Fontleroy was really good. Most of those can be pretty bad but, man, was she poised and impressive.

Reaction Score
Caught the 4th quarter after my ISU game was over. Really hated the high camera in the ceiling view for TV. Hope that's something they can move to a better angle.

The post-game courtside interview with Baylor sophomore Bella Fontleroy was really good. Most of those can be pretty bad but, man, was she poised and impressive.
It is weird. It's worth it if that's the tradeoff for having an actual home-court advantage. I don't mind seeing things a bit better laterally though

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

That awful high camera angle was a real turnoff for me, made it very hard to follow the action.

The seating in the new arena appeared to have built at a very steep angle, but I also read that not all of the seating has been constructed yet, so hopefully it was a temporary camera location.

Reaction Score
Taylor Jones is returning from injury for tomorrow's matchup at WV. It will be interesting to see how Booker and the Shay twins handle the pressure. If they get through, it should be open season in the paint

Reaction Score
Taylor Jones is returning from injury for tomorrow's matchup at WV. It will be interesting to see how Booker and the Shay twins handle the pressure. If they get through, it should be open season in the paint

Will be interesting. It's at WVU and Booker and Gonzales have both had a boatload of turnovers the last two games.

Iowa State fan here is wondering how the freshman laden Cyclones will handle that WVU pressure next week in Ames. Also Baylor in Ames on the 13th with their defense and depth. Hoping we don't stumble at BYU and can start that week 3-0 before hitting the ranked teams.

Reaction Score
Going to be such an exciting matchup.

Reaction Score

So far you sort of nailed that one. Texas up by 20 with a million points in the paint and another million rebounds. Doubling up WVU on rebounds 30 to 15.

Reaction Score
Sedona's broken finger cheats us of her return to Austin on Wednesday :(

Reaction Score
Live in the moment. Enjoy the moment. Think I will.

The Cyclone teenagers are off to a 3-0 start in Big 12 play. Not playing ranked teams but two road wins in conference is still a really good start.

Versus BYU on the road:
  • Freshman Addy Brown had 24 pts 8 reb
  • Freshman Arianna Jackson had 17 pts and was 5-8 from three (she's 11-15 from three in league play)
  • Freshman Audi Crooks added 13 pts and 9 reb
  • Freshman Kelsey Joens contributed 3 pts 5 reb 2 ast
  • Freshman Jaylyn Bristow added 4 reb
Freshman had 80% of the rebounds, 71% of the points and 60% of the minutes

Reaction Score
With Baylor doing a huge choke job at Kansas tonight my Iowa State Cyclones find themselves in an unexpected tie for 1st with #12 Kansas State at 4-0 after beating #24 WVU. :cool:

Seriously, how does Baylor lose by 20 to 0-3 Kansas? Woof. Baylor travels from Kansas directly to Ames tomorrow to await the game on Saturday. All of a sudden a bigger Big 12 tilt than it would have seemed a month ago.

And, yes, I realize not many here care about the Big 12. Just posting to hear the clickety-click of my keyboard. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With Baylor doing a huge choke job at Kansas tonight my Iowa State Cyclones find themselves in an unexpected tie for 1st with #12 Kansas State at 4-0 after beating #24 WVU. :cool:

Seriously, how does Baylor lose by 20 to 0-3 Kansas? Woof. Baylor travels from Kansas directly to Ames tomorrow to await the game on Saturday. All of a sudden a bigger Big 12 tilt than it would have seemed a month ago.

And, yes, I realize not many care about the Big 12. Just posting to hear the clickety-click of my keyboard. ;)
Baylor losing isn’t a shock. I just assumed they would have a stumble somewhere, losing by 20 to a 7-7 Kansas’s team is terrible though. Big 12 should be a wild race to the finish

Iowa St looks to be catching fire and clicking now. Should be interesting to see how that Baylor/Iowa St game goes, should be a great environment.

Kansas St is taking care of business so far

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Baylor losing isn’t a shock. I just assumed they would have a stumble somewhere, losing by 20 to a 7-7 Kansas’s team is terrible though. Big 12 should be a wild race to the finish

Iowa St looks to be catching fire and clicking now. Should be interesting to see how that Baylor/Iowa St game goes, should be a great environment.

Kansas St is taking care of business so far

Would have maybe made a good flagship game but all of ISU remaining games are on ESPN+ (and one on Longhorn TV). I get why they didn't make the cut but it's too bad their only flagship TV was verus Iowa. At least some of the Baylor/KSU/Texas games will be on true national broadcasts and not just streaming subscriptions.

Reaction Score
After beating #4 Baylor in Hilton Coliseum a few minutes ago, the kid Cyclones are 5-0 in league play. At one point in the 2nd quarter all five of the Iowa State freshman were on the court at the same time.

If Texas can beat KSU than ISU will have sole possession. Even tied for 1st after five games is not something anyone likely had on their bingo cards. The kids have so exceeded expectations.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I might have to break out my Iowa State sweatshirt soon :cool:
Oh I know how that goes. You'll wear it with pride, until they lose a game. Then back into a dusty corner of the closet it goes. Or under the bed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oh I know how that goes. You'll wear it with pride, until they lose a game. Then back into a dusty corner of the closet it goes. Or under the bed.

Unlike my Washington Husky stuff.. all of which were given to me in the past 21 years.... I bought that Iowa State sweatshirt in 1989 :eek: so....

1. Not even sure if I still have it

2. If I still have it, I have no idea where it is.. havent seen it in probably 20 years

3. Even if I were to find it, I'm 99.5% sure it wouldn't fit me anymore :oops:

Reaction Score
This is the first year in some time where the Big 12 teams don't all play each other home and away. Got me thinking about the unbalanced schedule going forward as we hit the one third mark of conference play this week.

At 5-0, ISU and KSU are two games up on pre-season favs Baylor and Texas. Both my unheralded Cyclones and ranked KSU are +1 in head-to-head with contenders (I am not counting Sooners as contenders yet). ISU has home/away vs KSU and away at Texas left. ISU also has another game versus WVU. KSU has home/away with ISU and road trips to Waco and Austin. I thought at the beginning of the season that the freshman lead Cyclones got a small break by only playing Baylor and Texas once but was not thinking it would be maybe a title hunt issue (was just thinking of somehow making the March Madness).

Baylor has the toughest makeup path. Down 2 and only play KSU once and are done with ISU. Texas has KSU and ISU in Austin.

Wildcard could be Sooners at 4-1 but they have only played KSU, and lost so are -1 in addition to being one back in the standings. They have five games left with BU, ISU, Texas and KSU. Three of the five games are at home so that helps them but they haven't played and beaten anyone in league yet so I am still skeptical about them.

big 12 standings.png

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
This is the first year in some time where the Big 12 teams don't all play each other home and away. Got me thinking about the unbalanced schedule going forward as we hit the one third mark of conference play this week.
This issue is always on my radar in Big 10 play too. The conference does its best to give the best teams slightly harder schedules to that you get more of those marquee matchups, but it can become a (dis)advantage if a team ends up being significantly better or worse than the preseason expectations.

Reaction Score
This issue is always on my radar in Big 10 play too. The conference does its best to give the best teams slightly harder schedules to that you get more of those marquee matchups, but it can become a (dis)advantage if a team ends up being significantly better or worse than the preseason expectations.

I think they have done a pretty good job in the Big Ten the last few years. People can always nit-pick but generally it looked good to me. Haven't paid much attention or given much thought to what happens when they expand to 18 teams next year. How are they going to schedule that?

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I think they have done a pretty good job in the Big Ten the last few years. People can always nit-pick but generally it looked good to me. Haven't paid much attention or given much thought to what happens when they expand to 18 teams next year. How are they going to schedule that?
i'm not sure yet!

Reaction Score
The Big 12 was pretty horrible last year - but looking much better this year.

Reaction Score

FYI - TCU is really having a tough go at it this season after a decent start during non-conference play.

Reaction Score

FYI - TCU is really having a tough go at it this season after a decent start during non-conference play.

Just saw this. Wow. Even before Sedona Prince was hurt there were games where they only played six. Than yesterday starter Jaden Owens announced she tore her ACL. :(

This sucks. Was looking forward to seeing Audi Crooks play against the veteran Sedona Prince. That wasn't going to happen anyway which was bad enough but having to forfeit really sucks for them and the league both.

Same is true of Oklahoma State, ton of injuries to where they signed a graduate transfer at the semester break for half a season.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom