Big 12 thread ('23-'24) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big 12 thread ('23-'24)

Reaction Score
I watched the Oklahoma game. ISU looked like a tired team to me, but it could just be Oklahoma's extra fired-up performance made them look that way. It's not a fun thing to go through, but when you depend on so many youngsters, it's not surprising when they are a bit inconsistent, I guess. Brown and Crooks, in particular, just looked a bit off to me. I enjoyed the close of the game when all five freshmen were on the floor together. The future is bright.

I'd seriously start all five the rest of the season. Prep for next year would be of more value than trying to eek out an extra win of two for a better NIT seed/berth.

Reaction Score
I'd seriously start all five the rest of the season. Prep for next year would be of more value than trying to eek out an extra win of two for a better NIT seed/berth.
Oregon State went through this last season. Often coach Rueck had 3-5 freshmen on the floor at the end of the regular season through the PAC-12 Tournament. The experience & minutes which this freshman/sophomore class is the reason that this group is playing so well this season.

Reaction Score
Looks like Sooners might leave the Big 12 with the WBB title. ISU dropped KSU into a three way tie for second with Texas and West Virginia, leaving Sooners in the drivers seat and two games up. Sort of figured Sooners would be back when they hired Jennie Baranczyk but still thought they seemed a bit overrated last year. Should have known better based on the way she coached Drake so well with players a tier below this level. Was sort of hoping she might be the next coach at ISU but that was likely never going to timeout right with our "coach for life". Now she's got a good Div 1 gig and will never look at ISU. Maybe her alma mater Hawkeyes at some point could be destination (they'd be crazy to try and not get her) when Bluder retires.

ISU might have played themselves back onto the bubble for March. I think they might be good enough, just not sure if they will have enough overall wins sitting at 14-9 and 8-5 with the TCU forfeit win not "counting" . I still count it as it's a game they were not going to lose at home to a depleted TCU. They did themselves no favors losing at UCF.

Reaction Score
Looks like Sooners might leave the Big 12 with the WBB title. ISU dropped KSU into a three way tie for second with Texas and West Virginia, leaving Sooners in the drivers seat and two games up. Sort of figured Sooners would be back when they hired Jennie Baranczyk but still thought they seemed a bit overrated last year. Should have known better based on the way she coached Drake so well with players a tier below this level. Was sort of hoping she might be the next coach at ISU but that was likely never going to timeout right with our "coach for life". Now she's got a good Div 1 gig and will never look at ISU. Maybe her alma mater Hawkeyes at some point could be destination (they'd be crazy to try and not get her) when Bluder retires.

ISU might have played themselves back onto the bubble for March. I think they might be good enough, just not sure if they will have enough overall wins sitting at 14-9 and 8-5 with the TCU forfeit win not "counting" . I still count it as it's a game they were not going to lose at home to a depleted TCU. They did themselves no favors losing at UCF.

One thing that amazes and puzzles me is the hold Fennelly has at Iowa State. For all the success, there always seem to be rumblings but nothing ever comes out of it. The saying "where's there smoke, there's fire" doesn't seem to apply in his case.

Reaction Score
One thing that amazes and puzzles me is the hold Fennelly has at Iowa State. For all the success, there always seem to be rumblings but nothing ever comes out of it. The saying "where's there smoke, there's fire" doesn't seem to apply in his case.

A lot of the ISU fans have a cult like devotion to him. I respect his success but don't have that same devotion to him (at all) as a lot of our fans. I don't come by that lightly but it's better for me not airing that out on a forum.

Reaction Score

Love the Sooner coach. So happy for Peyton Verhulst. I saw her play for team USA and some 3 on 3 events and thought she was super talented. She had a tough time at Louisville but she is really showing out this year.
Im also a bit miffed by Baylor. I think one of the best games of the season was their big 12 opener at Texas. Texas had just lost Rori but still played well but Baylor played about as well as I've seen a team play on the road all season. But oddly enough they seem to have regresses from that.

Reaction Score
Games with title impacts this weekend. Guessing nothing changes much with Texas, Sooners and KSU favored. KSU is in a rivals game though and on the road and seem to be struggling with Lee back in the mix so they could drop one.

Texas at UCF
Oklahoma State at Oklahoma
Baylor at West Virginia
Sunday, Kansas State at Kansas

Oklahoma 13-2
Kansas State 12-3
Texas 12-3
WVU 11-4

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
WV-Baylor game showing streaming on Big12 or ESPN+. Anyone know if that translates to other providers?

Reaction Score
WV-Baylor game showing streaming on Big12 or ESPN+. Anyone know if that translates to other providers?
Thanks so much. Turned it on when I saw this and this 4th quarter is crazy

Reaction Score
The 4-seed in the conference tournament is still up for grabs. If WV goes 2-0 in their final two games (at OSU, TCU), they get it. If they drop a game, Iowa St can get it by going 2-0 (at KSU, Cincy). If Iowa St drops a game, Baylor can get it by going 2-0 (at Cincy, OSU).

I feel like WV will trounce Oklahoma St tonight, but the spread is fishy--only 6.5. I actually think TCU beating them in Morgantown is more likely. WV will be favored there though.

mred

Iowa State Cyclones
Reaction Score
The 4-seed in the conference tournament is still up for grabs. If WV goes 2-0 in their final two games (at OSU, TCU), they get it. If they drop a game, Iowa St can get it by going 2-0 (at KSU, Cincy). If Iowa St drops a game, Baylor can get it by going 2-0 (at Cincy, OSU).

I feel like WV will trounce Oklahoma St tonight, but the spread is fishy--only 6.5. I actually think TCU beating them in Morgantown is more likely. WV will be favored there though.
If KSU goes 0-2 (losing @Tech in addition to ISU), that opens up the 3-seed as well.

Reaction Score
Just want to shout out Jana Van Gytenbeek. She's been playing really well over the last 7 games (double figure scoring in 5). She dropped 19 tonight vs Cincinatti. But she has an interesting story. I think she was a top 50 recruit out of Colorado. She heads to Stanford, wins a Natty but doesn't get much playing time. Then as a sophomore has a couple good games but still doesn't really get that much burn on a Stanford team that really needed outside shooting. She decides to transfer to Baylor, and last year still gets limited playing time. I really thought she was going to break out. And then this off season, they bring in a slew of guards from the transfer portal and I felt bad for her. But Nikki Collen always says she has the best attitude. And she's come off the bench and played a little all season but the past like 3 weeks she's been playing amazing. Just a great story about perseverence thats even inspirational to me who is much older. Seems like she kept doing the right things and is somewhat having her moment. Also, its just crazy, cause Coach Collen basically said Van Gytenbeek's story mirrors her story. So in my mind, I'm like why don't you play her then. But life just kinda works itself out a lot of times. That's my rant. Good win by Baylor. Still can be a scary team that host if they end the season well IMO.

Reaction Score
And Sooners, all they do is win conference games, win the Big 12 title. Really thought Texas was going to be able to catch them but it didn't happen. Young Cyclones beat KSU in Manhattan for another big resume building win after their mid-season mini-slump.

Screenshot 2024-02-29 090320.jpg

Reaction Score
When do Big 12 awards get announced? Last year they were out by this date. I see SEC announced theirs.

mred

Iowa State Cyclones
Reaction Score
When do Big 12 awards get announced? Last year they were out by this date. I see SEC announced theirs.
They were apparently just waiting for you to ask.

Co-Player of the Year: Skylar Vann, Oklahoma
Co-Player of the Year: Madison Booker, Texas
Defensive Player of the Year: JJ Quinerly, West Virginia
Freshman of the Year: Madison Booker, Texas
Newcomer of the Year: Payton Verhulst, Oklahoma
Sixth Player Award: DeYona Gaston, Texas
Coach of the Year: Jennie Baranczyk, Oklahoma

All-Big 12 First Team
Lauren Gustin, BYU
Audi Crooks, Iowa State*
Taiyanna Jackson, Kansas
S'Mya Nichols, Kansas
Ayoka Lee, Kansas State*
Serena Sundell, Kansas State
Skylar Vann, Oklahoma*
Payton Verhulst, Oklahoma
Madison Booker, Texas*
JJ Quinerly, West Virginia

All-Big 12 Second Team
Sarah Andrews, Baylor
Kaitlin Peterson, UCF
Madison Conner, TCU
Aaliyah Moore, Texas
Jordan Harrison, West Virginia

All-Big 12 Honorable Mention:
Aijha Blackwell (Baylor), Dre’Una Edwards (Baylor), Darianna Littlepage-Buggs (Baylor), Kailey Woolston (BYU), Jillian Hayes (Cincinnati), Laila Blair (Houston), Addy Brown (Iowa State), Zakiyah Franklin (Kansas), Holly Kersgieter (Kansas), Gabby Gregory (Kansas State), Nevaeh Tot (Oklahoma), Sahara Williams (Oklahoma), Anna Gret Asi (Oklahoma State), Sedona Prince (TCU), Shaylee Gonzales (Texas), Shay Holle (Texas), Taylor Jones (Texas), Bailey Maupin (Texas Tech), Jasmine Shavers (Texas Tech)

Big 12 All-Defensive Team
Taiyanna Jackson, Kansas
Ayoka Lee, Kansas State
Shay Holle, Texas
Jordan Harrison, West Virginia
JJ Quinerly, West Virginia

Big 12 All-Freshman Team
Addy Brown, Iowa State
Audi Crooks, Iowa State*
S’Mya Nichols, Kansas*
Stailee Heard, Oklahoma State
Madison Booker, Texas*