Big 12 Regular Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Regular Season

Reaction Score
Iowa State loses at Kansas State (14-9, 3-7) by a score of 78-77.

Texas wins at West Virginia, 69-56.

TEAMBIG 12 RECORDPCT.HOMEAWAYSTREAKOVERALL RECORDPCT.HOMEAWAYNEUTRALSTREAK
Texas8-2.8005-03-2W417-6.73911-14-32-2W4
Oklahoma7-3.7004-13-2W117-4.81010-15-32-0W1
Iowa State7-3.7005-02-3L115-5.75010-03-42-1L1
Baylor5-3.6252-23-1W114-6.7009-33-12-2W1
West Virginia5-4.5563-22-2L114-6.7009-22-33-1L1
Oklahoma State5-5.5004-11-4W115-7.68211-22-42-1W1
Kansas4-4.5003-11-3W114-5.73710-13-41-0W1
Texas Tech3-6.3331-32-3L315-7.68210-43-32-0L3
Kansas State3-7.3003-20-5W114-9.60911-20-53-2W1
TCU0-10.0000-50-5L106-15.2866-80-70-0L10

Advantage Texas right now. WVU is no pushover at home. Cyclones looked like crap and coughed up a big hairball in Manhattan. ISU was 8-2 in their last ten games versus KSU.

If ISU doesn't play better than that the next four games will knock them out of the race, Baylor, Texas, @ WVU and @ Baylor. I think they need to go 3-1 over that stretch to have a shot and that shot is a tie for first.

Reaction Score
Find it interesting that Kansas State beat both Iowa and Iowa State this season. Didn't see that coming this year.

Reaction Score
Down to just Texas and Oklahoma. Baylor and Iowa State have both augered in. My Cyclones look terrible right now and and their only role now is possible spoiler Monday night at home versus Texas but the way they are playing I don't see them being much of a challenge for the Longhorns. Cyclones, built around shooting the three, are shooting 29.6% in league play after shooting 39% in league play last year with essentially the same roster. Woof. Only guard off the bench didn't travel to WVU game for "personal reasons" so who knows what that's about but it just provides even less depth, "less" meaning none at all and starters looking not great.

Big game later in the month when Texas visits Oklahoma.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Down to just Texas and Oklahoma. Baylor and Iowa State have both augered in. My Cyclones look terrible right now and and their only role now is possible spoiler Monday night at home versus Texas but the way they are playing I don't see them being much of a challenge for the Longhorns. Cyclones, built around shooting the three, are shooting 29.6% in league play after shooting 39% in league play last year with essentially the same roster. Woof. Only guard off the bench didn't travel to WVU game for "personal reasons" so who knows what that's about but it just provides even less depth, "less" meaning none at all and starters looking not great.

Stating the obvious here but losing Soares was a tremendous blow for ISU. I'd imagine they dedicated a majority of the offseason to getting everyone familiar with the new system -- how to play with a true center. Take her away and you're suddenly scrambling midseason to re-discover your former chemistry. "Just go back to last year's system" is easier said than done when you're in the thick of conference play.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately, the seasons of both Baylor and Iowa State have been greatly affected by injuries. Soares for Iowa State and Aijah Blackwell for Baylor. If Soares and Blackwell could be on the court I am sure that the records of both teams would look different. Sadly injuries are part of the game and it is very difficult when you lose one of your best players.

Reaction Score
Big 12 having a rough go with injuries, even Texas (Moore) and Kansas St (Lee) have found themselves into holes with injuries to key players.

Sucks for everyone involved, you want to see everyone at their best.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Big 12 having a rough go with injuries, even Texas (Moore) and Kansas St (Lee) have found themselves into holes with injuries to key players.

Sucks for everyone involved, you want to see everyone at their best.
Season 4 Andy GIF by The Office

Cough, cough-UConn....

Reaction Score
Anybody hearing anything on Ayoka Lee's recovery/rehab. She's a heck of a player!

Probably too early for status on that I am guessing. She redshirted her freshman year rehabbing from an ACL. This will be the 2nd. She played somewhat hobbled the last two years. As good as she was at times you could tell she wasn't 100% and her knee was bothering her in games, some games more than others or so it seemed.

The knee thing made her whole emergence as a top post that much more unlikely considering she was not a top rated post recruit out of Minnesota HS. Stupid Gophers (my local team) didn't even offer her and she was theirs for the taking.

Reaction Score
Probably too early for status on that I am guessing. She redshirted her freshman year rehabbing from an ACL. This will be the 2nd. She played somewhat hobbled the last two years. As good as she was at times you could tell she wasn't 100% and her knee was bothering her in games, some games more than others or so it seemed.

The knee thing made her whole emergence as a top post that much more unlikely considering she was not a top rated post recruit out of Minnesota HS. Stupid Gophers (my local team) didn't even offer her and she was theirs for the taking.
She wasn't on the radar for the Gophers at the time. Not sure why but that is the perks of being a Gophers fan. We have these hidden gems right under our noses and we miss out. Plus, maybe Ayoka did not want to play for the home team. It happens.

Reaction Score
Have I mentioned how I impressed I am that Iowa St recruited Audi Crooks, effectively stole her out from under everyone else's nose?

I've managed to find a couple of her games, and a bunch of highlight videos. The best game, which may still be available on Youtube, was earlier this season against Hopkins HS. It wasn't a close game, because Hopkins is loaded with talent, and Taylor Woodson and Nunu Agara are already D1 ready athletes, while Bishop Garrigan HS is just Crooks and a bunch of little kids. But even in that situation, she was unstoppable.

She's really strong of course (because her other sport is shot put) but she's also surprisingly quick with excellent footwork, she has decent handles and a very soft touch on anything inside the foul line. She also has excellent stamina. Against Hopkins she played every minute and didn't slow down at all. And against the Hopkins press, they often relied on her to break it at midcourt. A lot of teams may have passed on her not thinking she'd be able to run in the college game. But I'm very confident she'll surprise a lot of teams with just how athletic she really is.

And the biggest plus maybe that she seems to be an excellent team player. She's used to having to carry her team, but she seems to be quite generous with her teammates. I think Iowa St found an excellent player. She may turn out to be even more central to their success than Soares looked to be before the injury.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Have I mentioned how I impressed I am that Iowa St recruited Audi Crooks, effectively stole her out from under everyone else's nose?
"Stole her out from under everyone else's nose"? Not quite -- her home town is closer to Ames than any other D1 school, and she plays for an AAU program called "Cy-Select." She was leaning ISU during her entire recruitment.

Reaction Score
"Stole her out from under everyone else's nose"? Not quite -- her home town is closer to Ames than any other D1 school, and she plays for an AAU program called "Cy-Select." She was leaning ISU during her entire recruitment.

I thought she might go to Iowa. The last 8 years or so with Gustafson and Czinano has me thinking of Iowa as "Post U" while ISU is a three point shooting guard school with a star small forward (Carleton and now Joens) Throw in that Crooks is a "project' and how another "project" , Monika Czinano, developed at Iowa it seemed like a good fit to be coached by Iowa's Jan Jenson. Just me spitballing with no inside info other than living in Big Ten country.

Div 1 is going to be a whole new ball game for her. She plays on a not very good AAU team and plays in a really small school class. I think the other two 2023 "bigs' for ISU, Top 50 recruits Jalynn Bristow and Addy Brown, will have a more immediate impact.

Reaction Score
Thought last night's game between Baylor and Texas to be very entertaining. Baylor winning on Texas' court wasn't a guaranteed thing considering this season. Impressed with how this team has remained competitive without Blackwell and Edwards for majority of the season.

Still, Texas doesn't have too much to be upset about. Considering how their season started, and losing Moore, they're still in the hunt for a share of the Big12 title, if I heard the announcers correctly. It will be an interesting weekend of games for the end of conference play.

Reaction Score
Vic Schaefer and Rori Harmon would beg to differ.

You've taken the first sentence of my paragraph out of context for this. My thoughts are about the season overall, not last night's game itself.

Reaction Score
ou've taken the first sentence of my paragraph out of context for this. My thoughts are about the season overall, not last night's game itself.
Who you talkin' to Willis?

Attachments

• 1677599545336.png
    1677599545336.png
    544.4 KB · Views: 67
Reaction Score
Who you talkin' to Willis?
Not sure if you saw my initial post. The paragraph highlighted is what I'm referring to.
Thought last night's game between Baylor and Texas to be very entertaining. Baylor winning on Texas' court wasn't a guaranteed thing considering this season. Impressed with how this team has remained competitive without Blackwell and Edwards for majority of the season.

Still, Texas doesn't have too much to be upset about. Considering how their season started, and losing Moore, they're still in the hunt for a share of the Big12 title, if I heard the announcers correctly. It will be an interesting weekend of games for the end of conference play.
The reply I'm responding to, took my first sentence "Still, Texas doesn't have too much to be upset about." and included the twitter post talking about Schaefer's and Harmon's frustrations last night, which it wasn't in reference to.
Vic Schaefer and Rori Harmon would beg to differ.

Reaction Score
It seemed like just one of those games for Texas and for Baylor for that matter. Texas never really got into any rhythm and Baylor made some tough shots, particularly at the end of the shot clock. Baylor guards were able to use ball screens and really gave the Texas bigs trouble. I think Shaylee getting into foul trouble early really hurt her and the team. I also think Sonia Morris solves a lot of Texas issues on offense. But can they get to the elite 8 or beyond, especially if they are a 4 seed...that's a tough ask.

Also wanted to add I'm happy for Nicki Collen. Idk if karma, or redemptive quality is how I wanna phrase it but she seemed to take their close losses to Iowa state and Oklahoma particularly hard. Stressing that she knows she can coach. I was kinda like who is disputing that. In any event, the team has fought through injuries and we're right there in a lot of games, so beating Texas on their senior night is big time win, especially with the way her young players performed.

Reaction Score
It seemed like just one of those games for Texas and for Baylor for that matter. Texas never really got into any rhythm and Baylor made some tough shots, particularly at the end of the shot clock. Baylor guards were able to use ball screens and really gave the Texas bigs trouble. I think Shaylee getting into foul trouble early really hurt her and the team. I also think Sonia Morris solves a lot of Texas issues on offense. But can they get to the elite 8 or beyond, especially if they are a 4 seed...that's a tough ask.

Also wanted to add I'm happy for Nicki Collen. Idk if karma, or redemptive quality is how I wanna phrase it but she seemed to take their close losses to Iowa state and Oklahoma particularly hard. Stressing that she knows she can coach. I was kinda like who is disputing that. In any event, the team has fought through injuries and we're right there in a lot of games, so beating Texas on their senior night is big time win, especially with the way her young players performed.
I think that comes from those who look at her record with the Dream, along with the assumption she was inheriting a program that had Mulkey's imprint everywhere.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Post-season awards announced yesterday:

Apparently, one head coach in the Big 12 does not beleive Rori Harmon is among the 10 best players in the league.

Player of the Year: Ashley Joens, Iowa State
Defensive Player of the Year: Rori Harmon, Texas
Freshman of the Year: Darianna Littlepage-Buggs, Baylor*
Newcomer of the Year: Shaylee Gonzales, Texas
Sixth Player Award: Skylar Vann, Oklahoma
Coach of the Year: Vic Schaefer, Texas
*-unanimous selection

All-Big 12 First Team
Sarah Andrews, Baylor
Ashley Joens, Iowa State*
Zakiyah Franklin, Kansas
Taiyanna Jackson, Kansas*
Gabby Gregory, Kansas State
Madi Williams, Oklahoma*
Naomie Alnatas, Oklahoma State
DeYona Gaston, Texas
Rori Harmon, Texas
Bre’Amber Scott, Texas Tech
JJ Quinerly, West Virginia*
*-unanimous selection
A tie resulted in 11 selections on the First Team

All-Big 12 Second Team
Caitlin Bickle, Baylor
Emily Ryan, Iowa State
Ana Llanusa, Oklahoma
Taylor Robertson, Oklahoma
Shaylee Gonzales, Texas

All-Big 12 Honorable Mention:
Darianna Littlepage-Buggs (Baylor), Lexi Donarski (Iowa State), Holly Kersgieter (Kansas), Serena Sundell (Kansas State), Skylar Vann (Oklahoma), Bryn Gerlich (Texas Tech), Madisen Smith (West Virginia)

Big 12 All-Defensive Team
Caitlin Bickle, Baylor
Lexi Donarski, Iowa State
Rori Harmon, Texas*
JJ Quinerly, West Virginia
*-unanimous selection

Big 12 All-Freshman Team
Bella Fontleroy, Baylor*
Darianna Littlepage-Buggs, Baylor*
Denae Fritz, Iowa State
Beatrice Culliton, Oklahoma
Amina Muhammad, Texas
Bailey Maupin, Texas Tech
A tie resulted in six selections on the All-Freshman Team
*-unanimous selection

Reaction Score
Post-season awards announced yesterday:

Apparently, one head coach in the Big 12 does not beleive Rori Harmon is among the 10 best players in the league.

Player of the Year: Ashley Joens, Iowa State
Defensive Player of the Year: Rori Harmon, Texas
Freshman of the Year: Darianna Littlepage-Buggs, Baylor*
Newcomer of the Year: Shaylee Gonzales, Texas
Sixth Player Award: Skylar Vann, Oklahoma
Coach of the Year: Vic Schaefer, Texas
*-unanimous selection

All-Big 12 First Team
Sarah Andrews, Baylor
Ashley Joens, Iowa State*
Zakiyah Franklin, Kansas
Gabby Gregory, Kansas State
Madi Williams, Oklahoma*
Naomie Alnatas, Oklahoma State
DeYona Gaston, Texas
Rori Harmon, Texas
Bre’Amber Scott, Texas Tech
JJ Quinerly, West Virginia*
*-unanimous selection
A tie resulted in 11 selections on the First Team

All-Big 12 Second Team
Caitlin Bickle, Baylor
Emily Ryan, Iowa State
Ana Llanusa, Oklahoma
Taylor Robertson, Oklahoma
Shaylee Gonzales, Texas

All-Big 12 Honorable Mention:
Darianna Littlepage-Buggs (Baylor), Lexi Donarski (Iowa State), Holly Kersgieter (Kansas), Serena Sundell (Kansas State), Skylar Vann (Oklahoma), Bryn Gerlich (Texas Tech), Madisen Smith (West Virginia)

Big 12 All-Defensive Team
Caitlin Bickle, Baylor
Lexi Donarski, Iowa State
Rori Harmon, Texas*
JJ Quinerly, West Virginia
*-unanimous selection

Big 12 All-Freshman Team
Bella Fontleroy, Baylor*
Darianna Littlepage-Buggs, Baylor*
Denae Fritz, Iowa State
Beatrice Culliton, Oklahoma
Amina Muhammad, Texas
Bailey Maupin, Texas Tech
A tie resulted in six selections on the All-Freshman Team
*-unanimous selection

Unless it was a stupid ballot mistake, that's quite a petty sub for Harmon. I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to believe she isn't first team. How could you fill out a ballot that said "Check the box by the ten best players in the league" and not check the box for Harmon?

Reaction Score
Here is the tournament bracket:

_23_WBB_Bracket_WEB.png
Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to see what Kansas does and how far they can go in the Big 12 tournament. Texas should be okay but this is one wacky season and it is March...anything can happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom