Big 12 Regular Season | The Boneyard

Big 12 Regular Season

Reaction Score
Didn't see a Big 12 thread so thought I'd take a chance on starting one. Also the chance that there might a couple Big 12 fans here?

Looks like a down year for the Big 12. Baylor isn't Final Four Kim's Baylor anymore and Texas has faceplanted so for and plummeted to not ranked.

Road game for #11 Iowa State at #17 Sooners at 2:00 on ESPN2. Sooners have already dropped one at home to Baylor and maybe cannot afford another home loss to another contender if they want to win the Big 12. I think 14-4 might win it this year, there isn't likely to be an old-Baylor like run through the league at 17-1.

No excuses for ISU if they can't win it this year. Supposedly our best roster in 20 years and league might be weak sauce right now compared to other years. Think the toughest outs for Cyclones will still be Baylor and Texas, cause defense. ISU likes a good game of H-O-R-S-E and sometimes tight defense gets them rattled.

Reaction Score
Little excitement at the bottom of the Big 12 yesterday but not in a good way. Technical fest for the Texas Tech at TCU. Bre'Amber Scott tossed and than flips off the TCU crowd. Guess she's looking at a league suspension of some sort. She'd already been T'd up once earlier in the game.

Reaction Score
Didn't see a Big 12 thread so thought I'd take a chance on starting one. Also the chance that there might a couple Big 12 fans here?

Looks like a down year for the Big 12. Baylor isn't Final Four Kim's Baylor anymore and Texas has faceplanted so for and plummeted to not ranked.

Road game for #11 Iowa State at #17 Sooners at 2:00 on ESPN2. Sooners have already dropped one at home to Baylor and maybe cannot afford another home loss to another contender if they want to win the Big 12. I think 14-4 might win it this year, there isn't likely to be an old-Baylor like run through the league at 17-1.

No excuses for ISU if they can't win it this year. Supposedly our best roster in 20 years and league might be weak sauce right now compared to other years. Think the toughest outs for Cyclones will still be Baylor and Texas, cause defense. ISU likes a good game of H-O-R-S-E and sometimes tight defense gets them rattled.
I need to watch the ISU-Oklahoma game as I only caught the tail end. Some thought Oklahoma was brought back to earth after losing to Baylor, but now with their win over ISU, without Soares for majority of the game however, who knows?

Even without Soares, I would have expected ISU to have an advantage because of shooting but they seem to be struggling in this area. Is this fair to say because I'm basing this on anecdotal evidence, not stats?

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is wide open this year for the first time in 12 years. ISU, BU, TX, OU, KS may very well devour themselves. Could end in a 4 way tie.

Reaction Score
And a big blow to ISU's season. 6"-6" post Stephanie Soares is out after an ACL injury two minutes into the game versus the Sooners. She was averaging 16 pts and 10 rebs a game going into that game. One of the alternative posts, Beatriz Jordão, just announced her medical retirement from playing just last week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Big 12 is wide open this year for the first time in 12 years. ISU, BU, TX, OU, KS may very well devour themselves. Could end in a 4 way tie.

True. 13-5 might get a title share.

Reaction Score
And a big blow to ISU's season. 6"-6" post Stephanie Soares is out after an ACL injury two minutes into the game versus the Sooners. She was averaging 16 pts and 10 rebs a game going into that game. One of the alternative posts, Beatriz Jordão, just announced her medical retirement from playing just last week.

That is too bad. Hate to hear about kids getting injured. There are so many bad injuries this year. Does she have eligibility left?

Reaction Score
That is too bad. Hate to hear about kids getting injured. There are so many bad injuries this year. Does she have eligibility left?
Don't believe so. Per the ISU forum, most believe that unless a medical redshirt appeal is approved (and they think it's unlikely), this is it. I'm sure ISU will investigate all avenues before saying for sure.

Also don't think the COVID year applies as she was previously in the NAIA. They didn't provide the extra year if memory is correct.

Reaction Score
Baylor be all "Don't count us out" in the Big 12 this last week.

1673459544615.png

Reaction Score
Baylor be all "Don't count us out" in the Big 12 this last week.

View attachment 82902
Don't understand why people would have if they did. Even with a healthy ISU roster the BIG12 doesn't seem like anyone has a clear cut advantage to me.

Not to mention, they're doing this without their key transfers from the off-season. Scary to think what they would be if they had their full roster.

Reaction Score
Don't understand why people would have if they did. Even with a healthy ISU roster the BIG12 doesn't seem like anyone has a clear cut advantage to me.

Not to mention, they're doing this without their key transfers from the off-season. Scary to think what they would be if they had their full roster.

I think it is related to just that, not having all of the roster they planned to have. This isn't Baylor of old but they sure looked good versus the Sooners in Norman. ISU was picked by the coaches to eek out Texas for the title. IIRC the coaches picked Baylor for 4th. With Texas not even receiving Top 25 votes and Soares for ISU I sort of think the Bears might be the repeat champs. Off to a good start. And Texas is probably going to get their act together and contend. I haven't kept up on the Texas injury stuff, maybe we have a Texas fan that can weigh in.

Reaction Score
I think it is related to just that, not having all of the roster they planned to have. This isn't Baylor of old but they sure looked good versus the Sooners in Norman. ISU was picked by the coaches to eek out Texas for the title. IIRC the coaches picked Baylor for 4th. With Texas not even receiving Top 25 votes and Soares for ISU I sort of think the Bears might be the repeat champs. Off to a good start. And Texas is probably going to get their act together and contend. I haven't kept up on the Texas injury stuff, maybe we have a Texas fan that can weigh in.
I get your point, but that was a pre-season ranking when most assumed Blackwell and Edwards would be playing. Granted, the Big12 was a toss up at the beginning of the season, Baylor looked like they would be competitive to me.

They're doing this without the players they had hope to have on the court. It will be interesting to see how things play out once they get to the conference tournament.

Reaction Score
I apparently jinxed Baylor. Didn't see that loss at home coming on the heels of them playing so well last week.
Hey, your fellow ISU fans may want you to continue to do so. ;)

Reaction Score
I agree. There are more very good teams this year than I can
remember. A lot of parity. We have 5 or 6 very good teams; no great teams.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The Big12 is full of teams that could be ranked anywhere from 12-25 but none top 10 worthy. Texas for all its stumble out of the gate has seemed to find their footing despite the loss AT Ok State. Baylor losing at home to Ok State is a bit of a shocker and shows this teams inconsistency and has to be a warning about the talent and coaching for this team to make any type of run. The Bears still have 2 games each with Texas and Iowa St that will go a long way in establishing the pecking order. For ISU, they play Ok State next week which will be interesting to watch. Ok State who has a first year coach, Jacie Hoyt that is doing a pretty phenomenal job but will be overshadowed by what Shauna Green is doing at Illinois.
To me, this is still Texas's to lose, with Baylor, Oklahoma and ISU all battling for 2-4. Sleeper is obviously Ok State. All this is subject to change even over the next week.

And yes, @ISUnorth it is a good idea to start this thread, just don't EVER BEMOAN any season ending injuries on this forum given what our UConn team is witnessing. :cool:

Reaction Score
The Big12 is full of teams that could be ranked anywhere from 12-25 but none top 10 worthy. Texas for all its stumble out of the gate has seemed to find their footing despite the loss AT Ok State. Baylor losing at home to Ok State is a bit of a shocker and shows this teams inconsistency and has to be a warning about the talent and coaching for this team to make any type of run. The Bears still have 2 games each with Texas and Iowa St that will go a long way in establishing the pecking order. For ISU, they play Ok State next week which will be interesting to watch. Ok State who has a first year coach, Jacie Hoyt that is doing a pretty phenomenal job but will be overshadowed by what Shauna Green is doing at Illinois.
To me, this is still Texas's to lose, with Baylor, Oklahoma and ISU all battling for 2-4. Sleeper is obviously Ok State. All this is subject to change even over the next week.

And yes, @ISUnorth it is a good idea to start this thread, just don't EVER BEMOAN any season ending injuries on this forum given what our UConn team is witnessing. :cool:
For Baylor, I think where they end up depends on if they can get Ajiah Blackwell back from injury and to 100% soon. The team has done better than I thought without Blackwell and Edwards. However, I think they will need Blackwell to win Big 12 and make decent run in NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
I dont think the Big 12 is any better than they have been with the exception of Baylor. Baylor has been dominant for so long and now they’re average like all the rest. Baylor fans seem to think that suddenly everbodys got better in the league. But some of us know better because our reason for dominance moved to LSU. But in time the new coach may bring us back. Who knows. Texas still has the best team on paper but my god they are having a hard time getting in sync. And if Vic keeps doing some of the mind boggling substitution patterns that he does they may never gel

Reaction Score
I dont think the Big 12 is any better than they have been with the exception of Baylor. Baylor has been dominant for so long and now they’re average like all the rest. Baylor fans seem to think that suddenly everbodys got better in the league. But some of us know better because our reason for dominance moved to LSU. But in time the new coach may bring us back. Who knows. Texas still has the best team on paper but my god they are having a hard time getting in sync. And if Vic keeps doing some of the mind boggling substitution patterns that he does they may never gel
I think the Big 12 is definitely better. Vic came to Texas and got Texas to the Elite 8 twice. The coaches at Kansas and OU are definitely improving those programs and teams are getting better recruits. Also there are more Big 12 teams ranked. The quality of play has definitely improved over previous years. l think this year the Big 12 has several very good teams that could get to Sweet 16 and maybe further. There are no great teams in league this year.

Reaction Score

Yeah, I'm not overly impressed with the Big 12 this season. I think it's clear that the Bears have "fallen" from the pole position as top dog more than other teams rising to old Kim Baylor's level but they are still in the first row or so. The league most certainly isn't better. Most years you'd have a number of players on various squads getting some nation love as among the nations best. Not a lot of that this season. I think Baylor has a good shot at being thee top dog again after the new coach establishes some and OU/Texas leave. Maybe only win the title 1/2 or 3/4's of the time rather than winning it every year. ;)

I thought my Cyclones might win it this year. That was based in equal parts of them returning their whole Sweet Sixteen roster (plus Soares) along with the league being not so great.

Will be a big game Sunday among the contenders with ISU at Texas. I would have picked Texas in this game preseason. During NC conference I probably would have picked ISU after seeing Soares actually play Div 1. Now, without Soares I am probably back to thinking Texas again. Teams that play honest to goodness defense and have any sort of speed are sort of my Cyclones traditional kryptonite. Whatever the outcome the Cyclone WBB fans will be bitching about the refs and calls, it's tradition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The Big12 is full of teams that could be ranked anywhere from 12-25 but none top 10 worthy. Texas for all its stumble out of the gate has seemed to find their footing despite the loss AT Ok State. Baylor losing at home to Ok State is a bit of a shocker and shows this teams inconsistency and has to be a warning about the talent and coaching for this team to make any type"of run. The Bears still have 2 games each with Texas and Iowa St that will go a long way in establishing the pecking order. For ISU, they play Ok State next week which will be interesting to watch. Ok State who has a first year coach, Jacie Hoyt that is doing a pretty phenomenal job but will be overshadowed by what Shauna Green is doing at Illinois.

Completely agree on the state of the Big 12. Makes for an exciting conference season. ISU, TX, OU, and Baylor share the lead right now, but Kansas is right there with its 2 losses coming to Baylor and Texas. As a Texas fan, it would be more fun if the team hadn't gotten off to such a weak start in nonconference play. A lot of the injury issues appear to be behind us for now. Taylor Jones played 25 minutes against Kansas when K. Fay, who has been starting, was in major foul trouble. Having that second true post available is a big plus. Rory Harmon has been great. I am hoping that against Iowa State, Vic might see his way to giving Harmon a few minutes rest here and there. ISU does not traditionally put a lot of direct pressure on the ball handler. This is such a different Texas team; I can barely wrap my head around it. The team is second in the conference in scoring for both the season and conference only play. With Harmon at the point and such a variety of scoring options, the team should be able to continue putting up points. The defense is where most of the questions remain. Too many mistakes and too many fouls.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Completely agree on the state of the Big 12. Makes for an exciting conference season. ISU, TX, OU, and Baylor share the lead right now, but Kansas is right there with its 2 losses coming to Baylor and Texas. As a Texas fan, it would be more fun if the team hadn't gotten off to such a weak start in nonconference play. A lot of the injury issues appear to be behind us for now. Taylor Jones played 25 minutes against Kansas when K. Fay, who has been starting, was in major foul trouble. Having that second true post available is a big plus. Rory Harmon has been great. I am hoping that against Iowa State, Vic might see his way to giving Harmon a few minutes rest here and there. ISU does not traditionally put a lot of direct pressure on the ball handler. This is such a different Texas team; I can barely wrap my head around it. The team is second in the conference in scoring for both the season and conference only play. With Harmon at the point and such a variety of scoring options, the team should be able to continue putting up points. The defense is where most of the questions remain. Too many mistakes and too many fouls.
Kansas? They have had one decent win over Arizona but other than that, their OOC was terrible. I am not convinced this team will be anything but 5th or lower when all is all said and done. I think the OOC benefit Texas so Vic could make his points and to develop the other players and chemistry. I still am shocked they lost to Ok State but maybe I am underestimating OSU.

Harmon is truly a talent, and it looks like she has fully recovered from the lower leg/foot injury. I still wouldn't want to play a Vic defensive team in the NCAAT.

I just don't want Baylor to win anything. That coach is overrated, and I am not convinced she can execute x's and o's.

Reaction Score
At the quarter mark Sooner's and Longhorns are tied for 1st at 4-1.

Baylor laid an egg at West Virginia and Iowa State got egg on their face in Austin on Sunday to fall into a 4-way scrum for 3rd. Baylor's loss was worse than ISU's. WVU is a second division squad. You just can't afford to lose those and contend. ISU's loss is "sustainable" if they hold serve at home and don't lose to any of the second tier. Remains to be seen if they can bounce back though. Texas made them look very pedestrian. Since everyone plays a home and home with everyone else there is no schedule bias for the league, hence the don't drop home games to other contenders importance. Texas held serve at home as did OU versus ISU.

Weird that Texas, even with the injuries and some struggles, was not even getting votes for the Top 25. Other than some dumb unforced turnovers they looked really good on Sunday. Embarrassed our PG (again) into 8 turnovers.

Wildcard is OSU Cowgirls. Haven't seen them play but they keep surprising teams, might be the team that kills other contending teams aspiration more than any other this season. At ISU Wednesday. A home loss by the Cyclones would pretty much put them at long shot so Cowgirls might be killers again.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom