Big 12 Regular Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Regular Season

Reaction Score
Three-way scrum (Baylor/ISU/Texas) for 2nd now with Texas doing their yo-yo up and down thing and losing at Texas Tech and leaving Sooner's alone in first. Iowa State managed to beat Oklahoma State in Ames with Cyclone star Ashley Joens forcing up bricks for 40 minutes. Bench stepped up and saved Cyclones from a home loss they can't afford. I think ISU can only afford maybe a single home loss and still contend.
  • Cyclones host Kansas next, should win, must win home game.
  • Sooners host Cowgirls in mini-Bedlam. Even with rivals thingie Sooners should win.
  • Texas at Baylor Sunday on ESPN2 in a who knows who should/will win game. No idea whether either bring their A game. If they both bring it than could be a heck of a game. Whatever result, it may knock one of them out or at least put them on the canvas.
Janaury 19th prognostication: Sooners, since everyone else is flopping around like fish out of water so far.

Reaction Score
Three-way scrum (Baylor/ISU/Texas) for 2nd now with Texas doing their yo-yo up and down thing and losing at Texas Tech and leaving Sooner's alone in first. Iowa State managed to beat Oklahoma State in Ames with Cyclone star Ashley Joens forcing up bricks for 40 minutes. Bench stepped up and saved Cyclones from a home loss they can't afford. I think ISU can only afford maybe a single home loss and still contend.
  • Cyclones host Kansas next, should win, must win home game.
  • Sooners host Cowgirls in mini-Bedlam. Even with rivals thingie Sooners should win.
  • Texas at Baylor Sunday on ESPN2 in a who knows who should/will win game. No idea whether either bring their A game. If they both bring it than could be a heck of a game. Whatever result, it may knock one of them out or at least put them on the canvas.
Janaury 19th prognostication: Sooners, since everyone else is flopping around like fish out of water so far.
I genuinely mean no disrespect by this but I think Joens coming back was a poor decision, or at least one that just hasn’t really shaken out. The last few seasons she was known as one of the better players in the country but this year she seems to have faded from national relevance a bit and is facing a deeper and more talented draft than last year’s. Of course, Soares’ ACL injury has limited ISU’s upside considerably so perhaps I’m guilty of some recency bias.

Reaction Score
I keep thinking that TX looks like the best team on paper. But then they get beat at TT & OSU. Can't figure them out. If they lose this Sunday at Baylor I think they're in trouble. Then again seeing what Baylor has to offer this year I'm thinking how could TX lose this one. We'll definitely know a lot more about the race after Sunday. And of course the Kansas at Iowa State game could be interesting. KU has dropped a couple they shouldn't have. That could be an upset in Ames as well. Who knows.

Reaction Score
I keep thinking that TX looks like the best team on paper. But then they get beat at TT & OSU. Can't figure them out. If they lose this Sunday at Baylor I think they're in trouble. Then again seeing what Baylor has to offer this year I'm thinking how could TX lose this one. We'll definitely know a lot more about the race after Sunday. And of course the Kansas at Iowa State game could be interesting. KU has dropped a couple they shouldn't have. That could be an upset in Ames as well. Who knows.
The big 12 is difficult to understand right now. Some very head scratching losses by teams to teams they should beat.

Should make for a fun conference season with everything up in the air right now

Reaction Score
The big 12 is difficult to understand right now. Some very head scratching losses by teams to teams they should beat.

Should make for a fun conference season with everything up in the air right now
The Big 12 is very interesting this year. Major injuries for 3 of the top teams (Iowa State, Baylor and Texas) may explain some of the unexpected losses. A lot of parity in conference. At this point any team other than TCU or Kansas State could win conference title.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The Big12 is having a really down year as none of the teams warrant any national attention. Heck the best team is probably Texas and they aren’t even ranked. It’s a real possibility that none of the teams make it to the Sweet 16, though I would bet Vic will have the Longhorns ready. It is hard to get excited about any team or any player in this conference, just not their year, it happens. Keep the faith but in two years, you lose Oklahoma and Texas who are really the two up and coming teams.

Reaction Score
I genuinely mean no disrespect by this but I think Joens coming back was a poor decision, or at least one that just hasn’t really shaken out. The last few seasons she was known as one of the better players in the country but this year she seems to have faded from national relevance a bit and is facing a deeper and more talented draft than last year’s. Of course, Soares’ ACL injury has limited ISU’s upside considerably so perhaps I’m guilty of some recency bias.

No disrespect detected! I am not a big fan of the COVID gift year. I think the NCAA over reacted with that. Joens has started every game for five years and all that she really missed was the NCAA's that one year. Bridget Carleton has a similar game and carved out a niche for herself with the Lynx but that is not the norm for a player of similar size and talent. I don't see Joens as quick enough to cut it at her size.

Reaction Score
Woof, new polls and only two Big 12 teams ranked, Sooners and Cyclones. Only Texas even in the "receiving votes". That's some weak sauce.

Big game this week, Sooners at Texas. Cyclones will hope for Texas win to create three-way tie for first. Assuming Cyclones beat TCU. If they can't beat TCU they don't deserve a share of anything. To bad the Texas game is only on the Longhorn network, would like to watch this one. Saturday is only ranked matchup, #14 Oklahoma at #18 Iowa State in Ames.

Any Texas news on Rori Harmon's injury late in the game yesterday? Hope she is okay. She seems to be unlucky on the injury side. If I was a Longhorn fan I'd probably be thinking playing her 40 minutes every single game might not be the best recipe to keep her on the court the rest of year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Texas beats Oklahoma 78 - 58 and Harmon played 40 mins. Perhaps the longhorns are turning things around. They’re a big team with a lot of miscellaneous talent and size. Oklahoma by contrast is a scrappy little team that hopes to rattle opponents by chasing down every loose ball. If Texas is finally gelling as a team, and the injuries are done, they could be a tough out in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Will the Big 12 get a top 8 seed?

For a number of years, I have gone by the formula of:

UConn* from whatever conference
  • the 5 champs of the P5 conferences
  • 2 two best runners up from P-5 conferences
= 8 top seeds.

My predictions have been perfect for several years. But, this year it looks possible that the Big 12 champ is not in the top 8 seeds unless somebody( Tex?, ISU?) makes a serious run from here through the end of season.

Reaction Score
Texas beats Oklahoma 78 - 58 and Harmon played 40 mins. Perhaps the longhorns are turning things around. They’re a big team with a lot of miscellaneous talent and size. Oklahoma by contrast is a scrappy little team that hopes to rattle opponents by chasing down every loose ball. If Texas is finally gelling as a team, and the injuries are done, they could be a tough out in the tournament.
Vic's teams are usually tough outs come tournament time.

Reaction Score

Three-way tie for first with Longhorns owning the tie-breaker here at the halfway mark over Sooners and Cyclones.

Cyclones host the Sooners this weekend so that three-way will be broken. If Cyclone play defense and don't get lulled into the Sooners 90 to 90-something shootout game of H-O-R-S-E I think they win. Cyclones lost in Norman by three points in the game where starting center Soares tore her ACL in the opening minutes.

In league play Sooners are dead last in defense and 1st in offense, same as they were last year in going 12-6. Cyclones are #1 in scoring defense (sort of surprising) and Texas is #2 (not surprising). Sooner has lost at home to two teams that play defense.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Vic's teams are usually tough outs come tournament time.
We're getting healthy. And transfers Shaylee Gonzales, Sonya Morris, and Taylor Jones are starting to play their best basketball of the season, especially defensively. We need them to be scorers, though, and their shots are falling now at a greater clip.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Will the Big 12 get a top 8 seed?

For a number of years, I have gone by the formula of:

UConn* from whatever conference
  • the 5 champs of the P5 conferences
  • 2 two best runners up from P-5 conferences
= 8 top seeds.

My predictions have been perfect for several years. But, this year it looks possible that the Big 12 champ is not in the top 8 seeds unless somebody( Tex?, ISU?) makes a serious run from here through the end of season.
I don't think so. And, I think only one Big 12 team will earn a sub-regional as an overall Top 16 seed. Creme currently has Iowa State as the final #4 seed opposite #1 South Carolina.

Reaction Score
We're getting healthy. And transfers Shaylee Gonzales, Sonya Morris, and Taylor Jones are starting to play their best basketball of the season, especially defensively. We need them to be scorers, though, and their shots are falling now at a greater clip.
@southie, I see Taylor Jones is not starting, but playing ~20 minutes. Do you see TJ remaining the first BIG off the bench throughout the rest of the season?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
@southie, I see Taylor Jones is not starting, but playing ~20 minutes. Do you see TJ remaining the first BIG off the bench throughout the rest of the season?
Vic has talked about that a lot recently in his media conferences; he's been deliberating whether she is better starting or coming off the bench. Obviously, Jones had not been starting mainly because she barely returned to the court a few games ago; she has acknowledged that she is now 100% healthy and has found her groove.

Khadijah Faye had been starting, and did a great job when Taylor was not available. But, she still has too many games where she is getting into foul trouble. On the other hand, Jones fouled out at Baylor this past Sunday.

Personally, I'd rather see Faye start as it seems like both our post players are most likely to be called for a foul less than 2 minutes into the game! :D Might as well keep Jones from getting into early foul trouble, and let her watch from the bench how the officials are calling the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vic has talked about that a lot recently in his media conferences; he's been deliberating whether she is better starting or coming off the bench. Obviously, Jones had not been starting mainly because she barely returned to the court a few games ago; she has acknowledged that she is now 100% healthy and has found her groove.

Khadijah Faye had been starting, and did a great job when Taylor was not available. But, she still has too many games where she is getting into foul trouble. On the other hand, Jones fouled out at Baylor this past Sunday.

Personally, I'd rather see Faye start as it seems like both our post players are most likely to be called for a foul less than 2 minutes into the game! :D Might as well keep Jones from getting into early foul trouble, and let her see from the bench how the officials are calling the game.
I've watched a lot of Texas, thanks to the Longhorn network. It's a very interesting team. Vic interviews are so interesting, and I can hear his point about consistency. Sometimes I think they don't have the personel to be a good defensive team as they really struggled vs Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. UConn shot a crazy percentage as well against them. Then other times they play lights out defense like against Kansas and Oklahoma .
I think Vic is doing a better job with the guard rotation. There was a time he was playing both Shaylee and Rori 38 plus minutes. Now it's only Rori that doesn't come out. I do agree though that Sonia and Shaylee for the most part are playing well. I think Rori is running the team well but I think she could be a lot more efficient though I know she just always has to force up some tough ones at the end of the shot clock.
Taylor Jones has had a very interesting season, and it will be interesting to see how she continues to develop. You can tell Vic coaches her hard and as you said Faye is a great option. But Jones was pretty dominant in the second half against OU but she had gotten quickly pulled after some mistakes in the first. She's tough to figure out. She's very physical and aggressive in the post, like she seems very strong But idk if it's the shoulder issues post surgery or a small hand issue but she tends to get the ball ripped away on the glass. Similarly on offensive rebounds and putbacks she's great and has a quick second jump. But on the defensive glass and on defense in general she has trouble reacting quickly. Vic prides himself on player development and developing bigs, Jones is an interesting project with still a year of eligibility left.

Reaction Score
I've watched a lot of Texas, thanks to the Longhorn network. It's a very interesting team. Vic interviews are so interesting, and I can hear his point about consistency. Sometimes I think they don't have the personel to be a good defensive team as they really struggled vs Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. UConn shot a crazy percentage as well against them. Then other times they play lights out defense like against Kansas and Oklahoma .
I think Vic is doing a better job with the guard rotation. There was a time he was playing both Shaylee and Rori 38 plus minutes. Now it's only Rori that doesn't come out. I do agree though that Sonia and Shaylee for the most part are playing well. I think Rori is running the team well but I think she could be a lot more efficient though I know she just always has to force up some tough ones at the end of the shot clock.
Taylor Jones has had a very interesting season, and it will be interesting to see how she continues to develop. You can tell Vic coaches her hard and as you said Faye is a great option. But Jones was pretty dominant in the second half against OU but she had gotten quickly pulled after some mistakes in the first. She's tough to figure out. She's very physical and aggressive in the post, like she seems very strong But idk if it's the shoulder issues post surgery or a small hand issue but she tends to get the ball ripped away on the glass. Similarly on offensive rebounds and putbacks she's great and has a quick second jump. But on the defensive glass and on defense in general she has trouble reacting quickly. Vic prides himself on player development and developing bigs, Jones is an interesting project with still a year of eligibility left.

Personally, I'd rather see Faye start as it seems like both our post players are most likely to be called for a foul less than 2 minutes into the game! :D Might as well keep Jones from getting into early foul trouble, and let her watch from the bench how the officials are calling the game.

Thanks guys, this is helpful. I've only seen a few full games and lots of highlights clips. I have been very impressed by Jones. She is very strong, quicker than anyone expects and has some really good post moves. As a pure post player, she strikes me as one of the best in D1 on offense and pretty good on D. In the early game against UConn, she was hard to stop and blocked a number of shots. The reffing was a bit inconsistent then -- as it often is early in the season -- which made it hard to tell how good she really is. I'm disappointed to see her get into foul trouble these days. If she can control this, I think she'll prove to be the most important addition Vic made from the portal.

Texas should have been able to make a better run up the rankings from the start of the season, but injuries thwarted them. I hope to see Texas as a top-8 seed in the tournament, but a lot of chances have to go their way for that to happen given the NET #11 ranking they have now. And one of those chances is for Jones to breakout and have the season she's capable of.

Reaction Score
Tie for first at the nine game half way mark between Iowa State and Texas after Cyclones beat #14 Sooners in Ames. Playing out the way the coaches picked it in pre-season. Iowa State has Texas in Ames and both games with Baylor left. Texas has Baylor at home and Iowa State and Oklahoma on the road. I don't think Baylor is going to win it but the title still goes through Waco.

No scheduling advantage cooked in since everyone plays everyone twice. Texas will be a tough game for Iowa State. Game in Austin was close till the 4th quarter when Longhorns just smothered the Cyclones offense. ISU scored one basket in the first six minutes of the 4th. It was a 5 point game that quickly became a 15 point loss that looked and felt like a 25 point loss. ISU PG turned it over 8 times in the game. Harmon for Texas had almost as many, with 7, but they (IIRC) were more high risk pass mistakes and not getting it just taken away from her like what was happening to Ryan.

And for the poll voters, jeez, rank Texas already. I get the Big 12 is down this year but they have beaten ranked ISU and OU and are tied for first.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Tie for first at the nine game half way mark between Iowa State and Texas after Cyclones beat #14 Sooners in Ames. Playing out the way the coaches picked it in pre-season. Iowa State has Texas in Ames and both games with Baylor left. Texas has Baylor at home and Iowa State and Oklahoma on the road. I don't think Baylor is going to win it but the title still goes through Waco.

No scheduling advantage cooked in since everyone plays everyone twice. Texas will be a tough game for Iowa State. Game in Austin was close till the 4th quarter when Longhorns just smothered the Cyclones offense. ISU scored one basket in the first six minutes of the 4th. It was a 5 point game that quickly became a 15 point loss that looked and felt like a 25 point loss. ISU PG turned it over 8 times in the game. Harmon for Texas had almost as many, with 7, but they (IIRC) were more high risk pass mistakes and not getting it just taken away from her like what was happening to Ryan.

And for the poll voters, jeez, rank Texas already. I get the Big 12 is down this year but they have beaten ranked ISU and OU and are tied for first.
OU already having lost to Baylor at home could be a costly loss when trying to win the conference title. Same for Baylor losing at home to OSU and Texas. You've got to hold serve at home as each team is likely to suffer an unexpected road loss or two (like Texas at OSU and Texas Tech).

Oklahoma State is proving to be a much better offensive team in the first year under Coach Hoyt than most expected. Glad Texas is done with them and got a split by winning last night in Austin. ISU, OU, and Baylor still have to go to Stillwater; if ISU can get a win there, I think it will be huge for the Cyclones in trying to win the conference title; it won't be easy as they only beat the Cowgirls by 5 points in Ames.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OU already having lost to Baylor at home could be a costly loss when trying to win the conference title. Same for Baylor losing at home to OSU and Texas. You've got to hold serve at home as each time is likely to suffer an unexpected road loss or two (like Texas at OSU and Texas Tech).

Oklahoma State is proving to be a much better offensive team in the first year under Coach Hoyt than most expected. Glad Texas is done with them and got a split by winning last night in Austin. ISU, OU, and Baylor still have to go to Stillwater; if ISU can get a win there, I think it will be huge for the Cyclones in trying to win the conference title; it won't be easy as thy only beat the Cowgirls by 5 points in Ames.

I should have noted the Cowgirls as the main spoiler outside of the title contenders. Without the crazy foul trouble they got into at Norman I think they would have beaten the Sooners.

Reaction Score
ISU moves up to #12, OU down to #20 and Texas finally gets back in at #24. Nobody else in the league even getting votes. Woof!

Reaction Score
ISU moves up to #12, OU down to #20 and Texas finally gets back in at #24. Nobody else in the league even getting votes. Woof!
Definitely a down year for the Big 12. Several teams have had major injuries which has not helped.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
OU already having lost to Baylor at home could be a costly loss when trying to win the conference title. Same for Baylor losing at home to OSU and Texas. You've got to hold serve at home as each team is likely to suffer an unexpected road loss or two (like Texas at OSU and Texas Tech).

Oklahoma State is proving to be a much better offensive team in the first year under Coach Hoyt than most expected. Glad Texas is done with them and got a split by winning last night in Austin. ISU, OU, and Baylor still have to go to Stillwater; if ISU can get a win there, I think it will be huge for the Cyclones in trying to win the conference title; it won't be easy as they only beat the Cowgirls by 5 points in Ames.
Iowa State loses at Kansas State (14-9, 3-7) by a score of 78-77.

Texas wins at West Virginia, 69-56.

TEAMBIG 12 RECORDPCT.HOMEAWAYSTREAKOVERALL RECORDPCT.HOMEAWAYNEUTRALSTREAK
Texas8-2.8005-03-2W417-6.73911-14-32-2W4
Oklahoma7-3.7004-13-2W117-4.81010-15-32-0W1
Iowa State7-3.7005-02-3L115-5.75010-03-42-1L1
Baylor5-3.6252-23-1W114-6.7009-33-12-2W1
West Virginia5-4.5563-22-2L114-6.7009-22-33-1L1
Oklahoma State5-5.5004-11-4W115-7.68211-22-42-1W1
Kansas4-4.5003-11-3W114-5.73710-13-41-0W1
Texas Tech3-6.3331-32-3L315-7.68210-43-32-0L3
Kansas State3-7.3003-20-5W114-9.60911-20-53-2W1
TCU0-10.0000-50-5L106-15.2866-80-70-0L10